Taking my Tech class test on Sunday..

GlfWrVt
Followers 0

Whatever you do,don't make the mistake of just learning by taking the online exams.I've seen at least one person flunk terribly using this approach.Learn the knowledge that's in "Now Your Talking" and you'll be able to answer any of the questions.Do take several of the online tests,because they are a pretty much realistic samples of what you may get when they hand out the tests.Look for your weakest areas and keep working on them.And don't get discouraged if you don't pass.Look around for other VE exams and find the next one that you can get to without waiting too long.

I'd hesitate to recommend an HT as someone's first rig.They're limited by the amount of power and battery life.These put a serious dent in your talk time.If there's any way to set up your station at home,try getting a mobile rig,a power supply,and a decent base antenna.Either way,you'll be spending about $500.You'll get far more "bang for your buck" with the mobile/base and it will be more reliable.An easy recommendation would be an Icom 207H and the Diamond X50 antenna.But I'm sure you'll get a flood of opinions.

My Grandfather and Father are both Hams.. so i have some practical knowledge on the subject. I'v been studying the Book by Gordon West witch has helped me understand fairly well what the questions are about. And I downloaded a program that I can practice taking the test with(I'v got 3 "35/35" scores in a row, so I think i'm ready for the exam). Thanks for your prompt reply.

Alright.. Keep it coming....

I don't particularly favor the question and answer format that Mr. West uses,but whatever works for ya.Fortunately,you probably have access to other information,having other hams in the family.That's a real plus. If you absolutely have to have an HT,take a look at the triple bander that Kenwood makes. 2m,220,and 440 all in one small package.This makes a better combination than some that put in 6m.After a quick look through the repeater directory,I see you have a ton of machines on all 4 bands.But unless you have a situation that compels you to leave the house to use the radio (interference,wife acceptance factor, can't set up an antenna,etc.),you'll get more usage from the mobile/base set up.

Well as soon as i get my Call sign I'll be up and running... I'm gonna start using one of my Dads 2M rigs for a base station(maybe some mobile, but need to get newer/smaller rig for that). As far as HT's go I'm looking at the Yaesu VX-5R and the Kenwood TH-F6A. Both are $350 at the local Ham radio outlet... I got to listen to the Code test while I was taking my test and I will Be taking that test soon.. Seemed real slow to me.

Mark M. (soon to be call sign here)

Welcome to the world of HAM RADIO. There is no limit to what you can learn, once it becomes FUN!

But, maybe you just stuck your foot in your mouth.....

quote:
I got to listen to the Code test while I was taking my test and I will Be taking that test soon.. Seemed real slow to me.

I have heard this one before. Now, don't be discouraged... but realize that it is different when you are watching someone else sweat it out, and when you are copying it yourself. You can do it, just practice EVERY NIGHT.

Again, congrats.

Mike.

Novice (2nd time) KA2BWW Jan 78

Tech N9AOG Aug 78

General N9AOG Mar 81

Advanced KD9KC Aug 1984

Extra KD9KC Aug 1990

Licensed 25 years continuously JAN 2003

icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to the world of HAM RADIO. There is no limit to what you can learn, once it becomes FUN!

But, maybe you just stuck your foot in your mouth.....

quote:
I got to listen to the Code test while I was taking my test and I will Be taking that test soon.. Seemed real slow to me.

I have heard this one before. Now, don't be discouraged... but realize that it is different when you are watching someone else sweat it out, and when you are copying it yourself. You can do it, just practice EVERY NIGHT.

Again, congrats.

Mike.

Novice (2nd time) KA2BWW Jan 78

Tech N9AOG Aug 78

General N9AOG Mar 81

Advanced KD9KC Aug 1984

Extra KD9KC Aug 1990

Licensed 25 years continuously JAN 2003

icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah.. Your probably right... I have been studying the code for a little while now but I still could not get all that was being played.. Ah well.. I'll keep practicing till I'm ready... My dad is kinda Peeved that he had to learn it at 13 wpm to get his gereral.. hehe.. I don't even have my license yet but I'm already having fun.

Mark M.

The F6 is a real nice radio. A couple of friends of mine have them and are in love with them. They do have small buttons though and that can be a draw back if you have large hands.

Another friend of mine has the VX-5, he like the features of the new VX-7 but he said he'll wait untill the bugs are worked out and it become a second generation radio. Love the VX-5 though and would not trade it for the world. I have no personal exp with either radio and am looking to but one of those two myself.

Crank out your code EVERY DAY. I cant stress that enough.

Eric

KF6VFH

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

Well I still don't have my call yet... But i did go out and buy the Kenwood TH-F6. Its real cool it will do more stuff than I will probably ever need, but will enjoy playing with.. which is really the reason I wanted to get into this anyway, Its Fun and heck, I may learn somethin'.

OK, Now.. Lets hear a List of good mobile rigs.. I really like the soon to be out Icom IC-2720. (not sure of cost yet) or prehaps the Kenwood TM-V7A. What ya think?

Mark M. (still no call sign.)

quote:
OK, Now.. Lets hear a List of good mobile rigs.. I really like the soon to be out Icom IC-2720. (not sure of cost yet) or prehaps the Kenwood TM-V7A. What ya think?

I use the ICOM IC-901A. To date, it is capable of 28 MHz, 50 MHz, 144 MHz, 220 MHz, 440 MHz, and 1260 MHz. It also has the wideband receiver module, basically covering 500 KHz to 1.0 GHz. It took me over 6 years to gather up all the modules. Right now, I am only missing one module, the SSB unit. It is the IC-UX-92S. I will find one some day.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, Texas.

Okay. Due, in a large part to some of the discussions in this forum, my long-time interest in amateur radio has been rekindled. I made the "mistake" of going into my local HRO last week. "Just to look." Came out with a study handbook for the Tech license. icon_biggrin.gif Planning to take the exam early October. Also planning to go for the code as well, although that's not going as easy.

I also am considering an HT for my first rig. A guy I work with really likes his Yaesu VX-5R, but I also think the Kenwood TH-F6 looks like a nice one. With the Yaesu being $70 cheaper right now, is there any big advantage to the Kenwood? Any big differences between the two other than the choice of 6m or 220?

- waynem

Okay. Due, in a large part to some of the discussions in this forum, my long-time interest in amateur radio has been rekindled. I made the "mistake" of going into my local HRO last week. "Just to look." Came out with a study handbook for the Tech license. icon_biggrin.gif Planning to take the exam early October. Also planning to go for the code as well, although that's not going as easy.

I also am considering an HT for my first rig. A guy I work with really likes his Yaesu VX-5R, but I also think the Kenwood TH-F6 looks like a nice one. With the Yaesu being $70 cheaper right now, is there any big advantage to the Kenwood? Any big differences between the two other than the choice of 6m or 220?

- waynem

And we would be interested in hearing how you carry/use them while geocacing. Great gear to use in the northern areas I expect... those hot tubes are not needed here in the south.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

Considering the transmitter with it's new Iron it wieghs in at about 175lbs.. The receiver is kinda light.. It only wieghs about 70lbs.. icon_wink.gif I'm afraid the only portable use they get is from the car with a generator in the trunk, and a dipole strung between two trees or light posts.. They have been on the air from several hamfests though! In fact, comming home from one hamfest I sneezed while carring the transmitter (Apache) and spent a week in bed with a pulled back...

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

mdgeocachinglogosmall.gif

Considering the transmitter with it's new Iron it wieghs in at about 175lbs.. The receiver is kinda light.. It only wieghs about 70lbs.. icon_wink.gif I'm afraid the only portable use they get is from the car with a generator in the trunk, and a dipole strung between two trees or light posts.. They have been on the air from several hamfests though! In fact, comming home from one hamfest I sneezed while carring the transmitter (Apache) and spent a week in bed with a pulled back...

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

mdgeocachinglogosmall.gif