Chirp caches should have their own type

unclerojelio

Chirp caches are fun and challenging but they are different enough from a regular cache to warrant its own type. Chirp caches require specialized equipment and most often require extra steps to get to the final cache. If a plain-jane multi is its own type, then chirp caches should be their own type as well.

When publishing a chirp cache, you need to put 'chirp' in the cache name & list the chirp attribute. Aside from that - you need to explain everything in the description.

I don't know if Groundspeak needs to give it its own category..... there just isn't enough of them.

Surely you need special tools, but ... you also need special tools for a lot of the terrain 5 caches (kayaks, climbing gear, scuba gear, etc).

I don't think Groundspeak will support it any further than it already does.

When publishing a chirp cache, you need to put 'chirp' in the cache name & list the chirp attribute. Aside from that - you need to explain everything in the description.

I don't know if Groundspeak needs to give it its own category..... there just isn't enough of them.

Surely you need special tools, but ... you also need special tools for a lot of the terrain 5 caches (kayaks, climbing gear, scuba gear, etc).

I don't think Groundspeak will support it any further than it already does.

+1

There is an attribute. We can have all the cache types and attributes we want but they only work when used by the CO

CHIRP is only one type of wireless beacon cache. NFC is another, then there is WiFi and even old fashioned AM/FM (unlicensed bands permitting). Even when you bring them all together I am not sure they warrant there own icon.

Agreed. Within 40 km of home (~25 miles), out of a total of ~3000 caches, there are 2 Chirps, 1 WIFI, 1 radio, and 0 NFC. They just aren't widespread enough.

FWIW, when I was setting up my FM radio cache and running things by the reviewer, they said I should not apply the "Beacon" attribute, so I'm not even sure that type of cache would fall under this category.

I just set up a couple of PQs and there are only a little over 1,300 caches worldwide that have the "Wireless Beacon" attribute. Even if that number is off by 100%, there is hardly enough for their own cache type.

Besides, even if there was a separate cache type, how would you know if they were multi, puzzle, traditional or letterbox? An attribute for each of those? I don't think so.

Or maybe we should have several new cache types... Wireless Beacon Multi, Wireless Puzzle, Beacon Letterbox, etc.

No, I think the attribute is just fine.

Or maybe we should have several new cache types... Wireless Beacon Multi, Wireless Puzzle, Beacon Letterbox, etc.

I can just see it now. A Wireless Beacon Multi Puzzle Night-cache Powertrail cache type.

The different cache types represent the major differences in caches. The attributes allow you to identify special cases within those major cache types. Beacon caches (which includes Chirp) are a special case and work just fine with an attribute.