Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpsaccessories

hotrodding a rino for extra range?

Does anyone now any tricks for juicing a rino to increase transmission power and range?

Please DON'T tell me it would be an fcc violation. These units would be used in places where there are no regulations.

quote:
Originally posted by gpsaccessories:

Please DON'T tell me it would be an fcc violation. These units would be used in places where there are no regulations.

Well then, just do it. But don't ask people who have worked and studied hard for their license to help you violate the law.

If you knew anything about radio, you would realize what you want to do is impractical. To get the 6 dB increase you would need to even notice the difference will drain your battery 4 times as fast. Lets not talk about a 10-12dB increase, which is probably in line with what you want.

If that don't matter, go for it.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

"These units would be used in places where there are no regulations."

And where exactly is that?

You have to go out, you don't have to come back.

Hmmmm.....if you don't need the GPS functionality you could take a pair of commercial walkies and programme them up for FRS frequencies. These are typically in the 4Watt range, which ought to net you more range than the 500mW FRS radios transmit (if that).

CA

Either install a yagi antenna, a full wavelength should do the trick. That or do the right thing and study for a tech license and work a 2m or 70cm handytalky. The test is easy (I didn't realize they published the question or answers and just cold turkyed it, it was that easy) course you did have to ask how to "juice" your radio so I suppose you should probably study some.

quote:
Originally posted by mcconnll:

Either install a yagi antenna, a full wavelength should do the trick icon_smile.gif (someone has to get this one). That or do the right thing and study for a tech license and work a 2m or 70cm handytalky. The test is easy (I didn't realize they published the questions or answers and just cold turkyed it, it was that easy) course you did have to ask how to "juice" your radio so I suppose you should probably study some.

quote:
Originally posted by mcconnll:

Either install a yagi antenna, a full wavelength should do the trick.

Actually, a good way to blow a radio. (maybe you intended that?)

1/4 waves and odd multiples transform. 1/2 waves and multiples repeat.

The ends of a dipole (yagi driven element) are open, or a very high impeedance. Since 1/2 waves repeat, (the full wave will equal 2 or more 1/2 waves) your full wave antenna will have a very high impeedance at the yagi feedpoint. This will be seen as a high SWR, and could cause the radio to destroy itself.

Furthermore, the radio (by FRS rules) has no way to attach an external antenna. Yes he could modify it. But if he had the knowledge to do that, he would not have asked the original question. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:

Does anyone now any tricks for juicing a rino to increase transmission power and range?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but unless you are looking to leave Earth you will not find an area without ANY regulation. any major county follows ITU standards and even a ship in international waters is governed by the country where it is registered. If you need more "juice" license a commercial frequency and setup APRS or for that matter get an amateur license. I would referance MURS & GMRS but I dont think digital emissions a permited on those bands.

quote:

Ok. It's not an FCC violation. It's an Industry Canada violation. icon_wink.gif

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Double your output power!

1. Open the case

2. Find the resister on the base of the transmitter final

3. Replace with a resister of 1/2 the value

4. Close the case

Nothing to it!

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

Here's another option:

Get an Amateur license and modify the rig to operate on Amateur frequencies (70 cm band). This is legal. Then you can modify the antenna, power, or add an amplifier.

There's a Rino e-mail list on Yahoo Groups.

A couple of folks there were working on some Rino modifications at one time. I'm not sure how they turned out, but the details should be in the archive.

George

quote:
Originally posted by EScout:

Here's another option:

Get an Amateur license and modify the rig to operate on Amateur frequencies (70 cm band). This is legal. Then you can modify the antenna, power, or add an amplifier.

Well when they make a ham radio that has a gps built in and does the peer to peer feature that would then be an option but for now the Rhino is the only game in town. I am a licensed ham and would love to make my Rhino work better. No one I ride with is a ham so the FRS radio is a better option for me when I am out in the middle of no where.

I will try and hunt down this post on Yahoo.