New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

2 Days ago it was $ 28.85 now $ 20 less, posting outside the Us $ 20 or so are you kidding? Doesn't give the impression of a honest stable product.

I will keep it to Zagg. Use it for about 6 years now and was always happy with it.

Edited by splashy

2 Days ago it was $ 28.85 now $ 20 less, posting outside the Us $ 200 or so are you kidding? Doesn't give the impression of a honest stable product.

I will keep it to Zagg. Use it for about 6 years now and was always happy with it.

Where did you get the impression it was selling on Amazon for $28.95 two days ago? If that were actually the case, it was an error.

The prices on most items for sale on Amazon fluctuate, what does that have to do with it being an "honest stable product"? I've seen this item sold as high as $9.98 and as low as $6.98 (which is what I paid for it in February). I seriously doubt whether anyone anywhere has ever sold it for anywhere near the list price of $29.95.

ArmorSuit is a respected company and sells a whole lot more than screen protectors. Check out their Web site if you're interested.

Now for the requisite disclaimer in this cynical world we inhabit: I have no connection with ArmorSuit other than being a satisfied customer.

--Larry

The first place I looked for a screen protector for my new 650 was Zagg. I've used their products on all sorts of things for years. Zagg took far too long to come out with a screen protector for the 650, I simply wasn't willing to wait that long.

I just did another search on the Zagg Web site. Here's the result: "Garmin Oregon Series 600 - 650: Sorry, we don't have any InvisibleShield products for this device."

Amazon sells what sure seems to be the full line of Zagg screen protectors. No product for the Oregon 600/650 there, either.

I found the item on the Dutch site that was mentioned. It's advertised as (translated): "With this screen protection for the Garmin Oregon series, your gadget always looks like new." I'm willing to bet good money that they're selling the screen protector for the Oregon 450/550 series under the mistaken impression it will also fit the 600/650. It won't.

--Larry

OREGON 650: I'm embarrassed to ask but how do I load newly purchased City Navigator 2014 maps into my new Oregon 650. The CD I purchased tells me to insert the CD and follow the instructions but I get error messaged. The software Bootstrapper.exe starts up, recognizes my GPS but then stops when I tries to load the maps. I can't how to load them onto Basecamp although I do have the product key. I need some pretty 'newby' type of instructions. Help.

I had the Oregon 600 for several months, I installed all of the updates but recently decided to sell it on ebay! I just couldn't deal with the touch screen and the accidental reconfiguration of the screen settings. I now have my new Garmin 62st and now something happens only when I press a button! Yes Please and Thank You!!!

I had the Oregon 600 for several months, I installed all of the updates but recently decided to sell it on ebay! I just couldn't deal with the touch screen and the accidental reconfiguration of the screen settings. I now have my new Garmin 62st and now something happens only when I press a button! Yes Please and Thank You!!!

Had you actually spent the time to learn how to use it, that wouldn't have been an issue.

Had you actually spent the time to learn how to use it, that wouldn't have been an issue.

I actually did and I'm not a fan.

If you couldn't "deal with the touchscreen and accidental reconfigurations" (your words) then, no...you didn't... A great many people, myself included, have no problems with the touchscreen or it accidentally changing settings because we didn't know how to stop it from doing that in a pocket or something. :rolleyes:

Edited by sviking

Tombmaker! said: << I just couldn't deal with the touch screen and the accidental reconfiguration of the screen settings.>>

I agree that this problem is really annoying. I'm just training myself to lock the screen when the unit isn't in my hand. I use a lanyard and just having the 600 dangling from my neck, the touch screen changes all kinds of things.

Locking the screen is starting to be second nature to me. The problem isn't a deal breaker for me, though, and I'm still generally pleased with the 600.

On my Oregon 650 I have set the User Key (button below the power button) to lock the screen with a quick press. Another quick press unlocks it. Very easy

Is there a way to set up the User Key to simply lock the screen with one press? Currently, I have the User Key set to display the Status screen, where I can press the Lock icon, but that takes two presses.

--Larry

On my Oregon 650 I have set the User Key (button below the power button) to lock the screen with a quick press. Another quick press unlocks it. Very easy

Is there a way to set up the User Key to simply lock the screen with one press? Currently, I have the User Key set to display the Status screen, where I can press the Lock icon, but that takes two presses.

--Larry

Not sure about configuring the User key to lock, but you can create a shortcut to lock the screen with one touch.

I've been using the power key to unlock, which takes two touches. I'd be interested in the User key thing.

Anyone know if there's a "Wherigo" player on them? The page makes no mention of them, the Oregons in the past have been the only gps to actually have one, so if it doesn't, that would mean no more dedicated gps's that I'm aware of have the player.

I highly doubt it. Garmin stopped adding Wherigo to their firmware after the release of the 550t.

So if there is no Wherigo Player on them, can it be downloaded onto it?

Sadly, no.

Garmin and Groundspeak had a bit of a falling out a few years ago, and as far as I can tell the feud continues today. Probably for that reason, Garmin stopped supporting Wherigo caches (which are a Groundspeak invention) in their newer GPS units and there's no indication that will change any time soon.

If you have a smart phone, there are Wherigo apps that you can use. I can't recommend one since I've never tried them.

--Larry

I have the Oregon 650, my first handheld GPSr, and have never done a Wherigo cache. I do have an Android smartphone so if anyone could suggest a nice Wherigo app to use, I'd like to give one of these caches a try someday.

Sadly, no.

Garmin and Groundspeak had a bit of a falling out a few years ago, and as far as I can tell the feud continues today. Probably for that reason, Garmin stopped supporting Wherigo caches (which are a Groundspeak invention) in their newer GPS units and there's no indication that will change any time soon.

If you have a smart phone, there are Wherigo apps that you can use. I can't recommend one since I've never tried them.

--Larry

Sadly, no.

--Larry

Garmin and Groundspeak appear to have patched things up, as the GPSMAP 64 series comes preloaded with Geocaches from Groundspeak.

As for a Wherigo player, I have successfully used the Android app WhereYouGo.

Sadly, no.

--Larry

The Wherigo app on the iPhone works very well. I previously used my Oregon 450 and I had to save it all the time in order not to loose anything. With the iPhone, it works very well. The only issue is power. If it's a long Wherigo, I have found it to use much power.

HI, I have an issue with my Garmin Oregon 600. It works perfectly but the rubber cover for the micro USB on the back of the device is broken just in the join with the screw, I wonder if it is posible to have one to replace it, for a new one cover or a recycle one for another broken unit.....

You can load all the caches you want, you just can't look at them...

I recently had the maddening problem of trying to confirm that caches I loaded for a trip were actually on the GPSr. Turns out you can't do it. I discovered the reason only after several frustrating hours and a close reading of the manual which revealed that while the machine can take "hundreds of thousands" of caches, it won't let you search for anything more than 100 miles away. Manually scrolling to the area on the map does no good either. I sent both .gps files and .ggz files to my Oregon 600, could see the files on the computer, but not on the GPSr. Manually entered waypoints show up fine, but not geocaches. I suppose this is some kind of storage compromise but I sure wish it had been highlighted more prominently before I wasted an afternoon on it. File this under "You can't get there from here..."

edexter

Edited by edexter

Did you try switching to Demo mode, then set your location to the area you want to search?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you even need to go into Demo mode.

Press the Geocaching icon, which brings up a list of caches (it might be empty if there are none in the unit within 100 miles). Then from the menu at the bottom right of the display, select "Search Near". From there, find a recent find, a waypoint, or a map point in the area you want. That should give you a list of caches in that area.

--Larry

Thanks Alan and Larry: both those methods work and I can see the caches in the area now. I appreciate the assist. :)

edexter

Scrolling the map also works. Just make sure to zoom in enough for caches to appear (you can change the zoomlevel at which they show in the settings).