New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

Atlas Cached
Followers 36

On my Oregon 550, I had all of the Garmin TOPO 100k on it. I created the map in 3 sections and renamed the img files. (TOPOEast.img, TOPOCentral.img, TOPOWest.img) Copied the East file to the memory on the gps, and the two other files onto the micro sd card, along with all of the NA City Navigator map.

No problem viewing any of the maps.

I don't think the O600 series will be any different.

And, you're absolutely sure you didn't have any missing areas? Awfully strange that my newer Montana couldn't do it without moving/renaming files around on the card, which required the use of a computer.

I do not think so, but I can't be certain. Since I bought the Southeast 24K maps, I don't have the 100k maps loaded on the gps anymore.

Garmin bike mount shows being compatible with Oregon 4xx,5xx and 6xx. Does that mean ANY Oregon bike mount will work ? Even one that might be listed for Oregon 500 specifically ?

I have asked in the shop where I usually by my GPSs and they have told me that the GARMIN byke support for oregon is universal. It fits all models.

Nevertheless it would be nice to have a support that would rotate or allow the rotation of the garmin ( landscape or portrait ).

gar09_sup_bici.jpg

I use this one.....landscape and portrait :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120817527628

!B3sH7,w!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!h!E)7)Fip8BBMnL!gJ6WQ~~_12.JPG

Edited by anneric

The RAM bike mounts are better and allow a variety of options. I'm sure they will have a cradle shortly. The Garmin bike mount is crap.

Though I appreciate the link love, I have to disagree. I prefer the Garmin mount over the many RAMs I have used. It's quite secure and low profile.

This was my own opinion though... I have used both the Garmin mount and the RAM mount on my mountain bike. I really do not like the Garmin mount.

The RAM bike mounts are better and allow a variety of options. I'm sure they will have a cradle shortly. The Garmin bike mount is crap.

Though I appreciate the link love, I have to disagree. I prefer the Garmin mount over the many RAMs I have used. It's quite secure and low profile.

This was my own opinion though... I have used both the Garmin mount and the RAM mount on my mountain bike. I really do not like the Garmin mount.

Im with Red90 on this one. I have RAM mounts for my gps and Galaxy S3 on my vehicles and bike.

REI just added a way to pre-order for the 650 - you'll have to get in line behind me, though! :)

http://www.rei.com/product/855743/garmin-oregon-650-gps

Wonder if I should keep my pre-order on Amazon and pre-order on REI too? See which one ships first? I'm assuming REI since Amazon has yet to even get the 600's. My luck though they'll both ship same time and I'll be charged twice :blink:

That was short lived. Did anyone order and get booted?

REI just added a way to pre-order for the 650 - you'll have to get in line behind me, though! :)

Wonder if I should keep my pre-order on Amazon and pre-order on REI too? See which one ships first? I'm assuming REI since Amazon has yet to even get the 600's. My luck though they'll both ship same time and I'll be charged twice :blink:

I preordered on Amazon on the 11th. Ever since then my shipment date has been "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. " When I email them I get the same response for a customer service rep. They tell me they haven't received any information from Garmin so they have nothing to tell me. For this they upgraded my shipping to one-day free. Still waiting with no confirmed date.

I preordered on Amazon on the 11th. Ever since then my shipment date has been "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. " When I email them I get the same response for a customer service rep. They tell me they haven't received any information from Garmin so they have nothing to tell me. For this they upgraded my shipping to one-day free. Still waiting with no confirmed date.

I called Amazon, yesterday and was told maybe May 16th. Not particularly happy with this. What is Garmin doing?!?

I called Amazon, yesterday and was told maybe May 16th. Not particularly happy with this. What is Garmin doing?!?

Do you have a Cabela's near you? They have them in stock now. Also, I can load caches if I just say it's a 550. Guess gc.com, GSAK and Easygps all need to update.

Edited by gladeslvr & crew

By the time we get them in Europe, I hope you will have sorted all the bugs out!

Amazon UK is saying all variants will be released on the 1st of August, while other retailers are varying from late April (a date that hasn't been updated for weeks) to late May. :mad:

If Garmin want to keep us interested they had better start handing some out for reviewers to report back on or they'll lose sales to their competitors.

Chris

Just wanted to issue a bit of an update since I've been playing around a bit more with a larger memory card in the 600.

The map limits are definitely still the same as with the Montana 6xx and Oregon 4xx/5xx line: 4000 segments total (including the ~500 segments in the 100k maps with the 't' models). And it will only recognize 8 different maps total (including the basemap) as far as I can tell. Custom maps and Birdseye seem don't seem to be part of the 8 map limit.

It also reveals a regression from the current 450 firmware: The 600 is treating each img file as a separate map with separate toggles. The current 450 firmware will see "US West" and "US West 2" as the same map correctly, and provide one toggle.

So for those thinking about 32GB SD cards for this thing, it'll be a bit of a waste on the 600/600t without the camera. The biggest data set I can estimate that is within the 4000 segment limit is about 11-12GB.

And in case this hasn't already been answered, the gasket is pretty much the same as the 450. I would be very surprised if water couldn't work it's way between the unit and the back cover if it got dunked as there isn't anything new or special about the seal vs the 450. It's quite literally just enough to prevent water from getting into the electronics and nothing more.

And, you're absolutely sure you didn't have any missing areas? Awfully strange that my newer Montana couldn't do it without moving/renaming files around on the card, which required the use of a computer.

Are you sure you aren't confusing the 100k and 24k maps? The 100k maps are a single US map of roughly 500 tiles total. The limit is 4000 for the Oregon and Montanas, so it should fit fine on any device.

The 24k maps on the other hand, seem to be around 9000 tiles for the 48 states. That's not going to work at all. And it is one helluva expense.

Edited by Kolenka

yay, LL Bean changed 600 ship date from May 19 to May 10 today....I guess little bit of good news?

I was just at there website checking on my backorder for a 600 and it still shows 5-19 ????

Mystery solved Gulo is on the list ahead of me and will get his first. Lucky guy.

yay, LL Bean changed 600 ship date from May 19 to May 10 today....I guess little bit of good news?

I was just at there website checking on my backorder for a 600 and it still shows 5-19 ????

Mystery solved Gulo is on the list ahead of me and will get his first. Lucky guy.

yay :laughing:

6d2gjRY.png

OK, so it shows 5/10 on the website, but when I pull out my individual order is also still shows 5/19. I presume they just didn't update it ?

Edited by gulo

By the time we get them in Europe, I hope you will have sorted all the bugs out!

Amazon UK is saying all variants will be released on the 1st of August, while other retailers are varying from late April (a date that hasn't been updated for weeks) to late May. :mad:

If Garmin want to keep us interested they had better start handing some out for reviewers to report back on or they'll lose sales to their competitors.

Chris

I am in the UK and received mine on Tuesday of this week from Go Outdoors, complete with 1:50k OS maps. It arrived just in time for 2 weeks of hiking and sea kayaking in Scotland :-)

image.jpeg

Chris

I am in the UK and received mine on Tuesday of this week from Go Outdoors, complete with 1:50k OS maps. It arrived just in time for 2 weeks of hiking and sea kayaking in Scotland :-)

image.jpeg

Wow great news!! GoOutdoors need to update their website to show the 600 is available then and not still on pre-order! (I'm still waiting for a 650 though, and will be buying from Cotswold Outdoors as their prices are better with the GAGB discount)

Chris

Chris

image.jpeg

Wow great news!! GoOutdoors need to update their website to show the 600 is available then and not still on pre-order! (I'm still waiting for a 650 though, and will be buying from Cotswold Outdoors as their prices are better with the GAGB discount)

Chris

I'm also intending to wait for the 650. I'm not currently a member of GAGB, will I still make a saving with joining and going to Cotswold Outdoors compared to GoOutDoors? Keith

Question,

Can you make a profile without crashing?

Is the tripcomputer working?

How accurate is your 600 compared to older models?

Does it startup takes some time?

(Used the last softwareupdate.)

- Yes.

- It'd probably be easier to ask something a bit more specific. I can say "Yes", and still probably not really answer your question.

- Depends on the situation. This has been discussed earlier in the thread by a few of us.

- Startup is the same or faster than the 450. Also discussed earlier this thread.

I'm also intending to wait for the 650. I'm not currently a member of GAGB, will I still make a saving with joining and going to Cotswold Outdoors compared to GoOutDoors? Keith

If you're in the UK, I don't see why not Keith!

Go to the GAGB website - www.gagb.co.uk - and join up. (It's free, you just need to register.)

You'll then be able to access the Member's Chat section of the GAGB Forum, and you'll find a pinned topic giving details of the Cotswold Outdoors discount for GAGB members. (They're quite liberal with their discounts as I also have a discount via the Cyclists Touring Club!) Go to the bottom of the thread to download the current letter giving your discount code. at present it's a 15% discount. :)

Chris

Question,

- Yes.

- It'd probably be easier to ask something a bit more specific. I can say "Yes", and still probably not really answer your question.

- Depends on the situation. This has been discussed earlier in the thread by a few of us.

- Startup is the same or faster than the 450. Also discussed earlier this thread.

I KNOW what is written here, important is was is not written, it seems after a few days using one, some units are not so good and stable as it looks like.

Are you sure you aren't confusing the 100k and 24k maps? The 100k maps are a single US map of roughly 500 tiles total. The limit is 4000 for the Oregon and Montanas, so it should fit fine on any device.

The 24k maps on the other hand, seem to be around 9000 tiles for the 48 states. That's not going to work at all. And it is one helluva expense.

As I said before, with TOPO on the DVD, no, they're not. The map is broken into 6000+ tiles to be more compatible with older units that had tiny memories. Smaller tiles made those units more flexible than needing the next HUGE tile over...and not being able to fit it with the larger tiles on the TOPO maps that COME ON THE UNIT. This is a distinction just about every one who's spent time with multiple Garmin handheld units should know by now.

And, freakin' dadgum it to hell with Garmin and the 4000 tile limit...AGAIN... :rolleyes:

Question,

- Yes.

I KNOW what is written here, important is was is not written, it seems after a few days using one, some units are not so good and stable as it looks like.

Only, you seem to have missed bits that were written here. Hence my confusion. Your comments are vague, so I have a hard time following where you are trying to go with this.

Are you trying to say your experiences are different than what you see here after picking one up? Are you trying to get more detail before ordering? Are you suggesting that we aren't telling the truth in our commentary (discussing GPS accuracy and startup in particular). I don't know, and it would really help to have context so I can understand what you are trying to say.

As I said before, with TOPO on the DVD, no, they're not. The map is broken into 6000+ tiles to be more compatible with older units that had tiny memories. Smaller tiles made those units more flexible than needing the next HUGE tile over...and not being able to fit it with the larger tiles on the TOPO maps that COME ON THE UNIT. This is a distinction just about every one who's spent time with multiple Garmin handheld units should know by now.

And, freakin' dadgum it to hell with Garmin and the 4000 tile limit...AGAIN... :rolleyes:

It looks like that might be changing with the v5 maps. Hard to tell exactly at this point, and I decided to skip on them. Does anyone have the v5 DVD?

I will say that the experience when you go over the limit is pretty unhelpful. It is easy to miss lack of coverage unless you inspect it personally at the appropriate zoom levels. Which is incredibly time consuming. So I could see how someone could get 6000 tiles loaded and not notice a coverage gap.

Edited by Kolenka

The new v5 of Topo 100k (that comes with the "t" models) has had it's road and trail system upgraded. It now has all of the roads and trails shown on the Topo 24k product from Garmin. The only difference appears to be the water features and topo lines. I might actually recommend the "t" models now based on this improvement. The roads used to be based on inaccurate tiger data and was a major drawback.

@kolemka

I'm not suggesting anything, just asking if other people have the same problems with this model like I wrote.

"I don't know, and it would really help to have context so I can understand what you are trying to say."

Well to me it LOOKS like we are on the same route as Colorado, Oregon, Montana and many other models, it all seemed to work ok, then when more units came on the market we had and still have all kind or problems.

@Kolenka

1. Is it possible to search POIs "along the route"?

2. Is it possible to turn on marine alarms: e.g. anchor alarm?

3. What about accuracy of altitude measurements by trip computer? Do "total ascents" and "total descents" match track records?

4. What about battery life? Could it be close to eTrex in battery safe mode?

Please confirm whether the Garmin Oregon 600 can charge batteries such as Eneloops?

Or is it really limited to charging the Garmin custom battery pack?

This would really be handy e.g. in car with the oh-so-needed USB charging that is now supported by Oregon 6X0.

this would be good to know too.. is there a FAQ for all this info?

Please confirm whether the Garmin Oregon 600 can charge batteries such as Eneloops?

This would really be handy e.g. in car with the oh-so-needed USB charging that is now supported by Oregon 6X0.

In time there will be a complete Wiki @

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/home

GULO when did you order yours? You are showing a price of $399.00 ?

yay :laughing:

6d2gjRY.png

OK, so it shows 5/10 on the website, but when I pull out my individual order is also still shows 5/19. I presume they just didn't update it ?

Edited by rjerry

GULO when did you order yours? You are showing a price of $3999.00 ?

Well definitely not $3999.00 :)

I ordered mine on 2/16/13, I signed up for LL Bean credit card so my total came to $339.15

If I check my order status is shows available 5/19 but if you look directly on their page it shows 5/10.

I really hope it will ship a bit earlier, but as long as it's not later than 5/10 I'm OK

@kolemka

I'm not suggesting anything, just asking if other people have the same problems with this model like I wrote.

"I don't know, and it would really help to have context so I can understand what you are trying to say."

Well to me it LOOKS like we are on the same route as Colorado, Oregon, Montana and many other models, it all seemed to work ok, then when more units came on the market we had and still have all kind or problems.

I have mentioned some instability in my comments on the device. I'm not terribly sure how all this gets missed when I haven't been holding my negatives back.

@Kolenka

1. Is it possible to search POIs "along the route"?

2. Is it possible to turn on marine alarms: e.g. anchor alarm?

3. What about accuracy of altitude measurements by trip computer? Do "total ascents" and "total descents" match track records?

4. What about battery life? Could it be close to eTrex in battery safe mode?

1) No

2) Anchor Drag, Off Course, Deep Water and Shallow Water alarms are available.

3) assuming you configure it so both are reset at the same time, they do match.

4) I haven't been using battery save mode with it. But I suspect the eTrex will still win with it on. I've been getting 16-17 hours when letting the backlight turn off. It is easy enough to see with the backlight off that it does help hit Garmin's rated life more consistently, but I'm mostly getting similar battery life to the 450. So you could use those numbers and be close.

There is a button in the battery bay. If pressed it will allow charging. It is built such that Garmin's battery pack will press it and nothing else will. You could probably rig something, but I'd say any damage to the device from trying to charge non-Garmin rechargeables would not be covered by warranty.

so the latest build of GSAK will now automatically generate GGZ file, can't wait to try it out myself. Now if only we could create larger pocket queries, it will be hard to fully take advantage of this feature without the data becoming stale with partial updates.

Link

Edited by gulo

@Kolenka

Thanks and let me be more precise about points no. 2 and 3

I know manual of Oregon, but what about real test data?

So,

2. Does "off course" alarm works if navigating Trackback?

3. Do you have real field records to confirm "total ascents"and"total descents"?

The new v5 of Topo 100k (that comes with the "t" models) has had it's road and trail system upgraded. It now has all of the roads and trails shown on the Topo 24k product from Garmin. The only difference appears to be the water features and topo lines. I might actually recommend the "t" models now based on this improvement. The roads used to be based on inaccurate tiger data and was a major drawback.

Are they routable? The 24K maps are have pretty much the same roads and POIs as City Navigator. Is this now true for the 100K maps?

I'm not suggesting that anyone test this, but... Does anyone have info/speculation on the long-term scratch resistance of the 600 series screens? Yeah, yeah... put some protection on it, but given the obvious differences in materials used in various models, if these screens are iPhone5-like in hardness, let's say, it would be appreciated.