New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

Bug free is something else, but I wonder why people insist a Gps with about 60 issues and freezing or shutting off all the time is a normal way of presenting a new model on the market.

If this would happen on your tablet or smartphone you would bring it straight away back to the seller.

Exactly. And those devices are FAR more complicated than a dedicated GPS unit that serves only ONE purpose. The people who excuse all these bugs as "normal" only encourage GPS companies to release pure crap with the ideal than they'll "fix it later"...maybe... :rolleyes:

I think one of the reasons that people focus on the bugs on Garmin units is that the units are used for a very limited purpose and more people bump into these quirks more frequently. There are currently 19,994 bugs reported for the Android platform (http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list) yet people generally think of them as operating relatively bug free. The difference is Android is used in so many different ways and few people will actually bump into a bug in that vast sea of code. Garmins code is smaller yet no less complex. Many of us have dealt with the abundant and exasperating issues present in previous units and is why I've stated that this unit was introduced and continues to be a reliable and infrequently buggy unit.

Go and tally up the issue lists on previous units. A few examples are Colorado - no less than 100, Montana - 67

Out of the 58 issues listed on the Oregon 6xx wiki, 24 of them have been resolved. There are at least some remaining issues that may be non-issues such as: "Configuring the Power Button to take screenshots [setup > Display > Screen Capture > On] disables all User Button functions. [12MAY13] [2.60] [2.70] [2.80] [2.90] [3.10] [3.20] [3.30]"

Non-issue. The only way to capture a screen shot is to press a user button. That's why user button special functions are disabled when in screen capture mode. That issue should definitely be taken off the list.

There are issues that negatively affect the Oregon 6xx for many users. Labeling the Oregon 6xx as a buggy GPS unit is, at least in my book, unfair and unwarranted.

Edited by yogazoo
I think one of the reasons that people focus on the bugs on Garmin units is that the units are used for a very limited purpose and more people bump into these quirks more frequently.

Then, for the very same reason, it should show up easily in their dedicated beta testing...BEFORE RELEASE... Although, I use the term "beta testing" loosely when it comes to Garmin.

I think it's the opposite, the unit is so complex, some users don't use it the wrong way, some users have the wrong expectations.

Because of wrong expectations and perception "errors' communicated to Garmin helpdesk are often no error

and in fact Garmin didn't test the units like it should have in the first place.

So, about loading all caches to the new Oregon. I haven't read anything that says clearly that you can run a PQ and get, say all of North American caches and send it to the unit. I never did see an answer if this worked without using open caching. So, for the folks that have the device, how many caches have you managed to load?

I think one of the reasons that people focus on the bugs on Garmin units is that the units are used for a very limited purpose and more people bump into these quirks more frequently.

Then, for the very same reason, it should show up easily in their dedicated beta testing...BEFORE RELEASE... Although, I use the term "beta testing" loosely when it comes to Garmin.

Because it's very difficult to test ANY electronic device with all the different files and formats loaded and utilized by the end user AFTER RELEASE. That's one reason why EVERY complex electronic device has bugs when it's first released. Is it sometimes annoying? Sure, but that's just part of life when code is written by human beings.

Found the video about the quality of the screen and the device, impressive to see! :)

Maybe I don't need my screen protector after all.

Maybe the folks who made this video just got lucky.

I used my Oregon 650 on a trip to the Catskills earlier this week, and was going after a cache hidden under a bridge. I had it hooked to a belt loop using the carabiner that comes with it. I was clambering up some rocks, and the GPS must have bumped up against one of the aforementioned rocks. The next time I looked at it, here's what I saw:

Oregon%2520650%2520scratches.jpg

Those are deep scratches.

I contacted Garmin by e-mail, and they've offered to replace the unit for $110 (guess such scratches aren't covered by the warranty). They would normally replace it with a refurbished unit, but they don't have any refurbished samples available yet, so I'll get a brand new unit. Looks as if I'll be going back to my trusty 550t for the time being.

--Larry

I did the exact same thing with my etrex. Now I never put my GPS facing outward when I latch it onto a beltloop or otherwise if I am going to be swinging around rocks or metal bridges.

I suspect this is going to be a common GPS injury. :(

After I did this bought a screen protector and a scratch buff kit (look up Novus plastic polish). I was able to get the scratch out mostly so you can't see much under the screen protector.

Shaun

How about just putting the darned thing in a pocket? We're not talking Montana sized here. :rolleyes:

How about just putting the darned thing in a pocket? We're not talking Montana sized here. :rolleyes:

I can only speak for myself, but....

Back in the winter of 2010, my geocaching partner and I were going after a several-stage multi, Epinephrine :: Dark Hollow Math, in a park in the Pittsburgh area. We wanted to hide a traditional in the park, and we needed to know the locations of all the stages to check for proximity problems. Yeah, I know, we could have checked with the local reviewer, but it was a lot more fun to just do the multi. The fun was multiplied by the fact that there were at least two feet of snow on the ground at the time.

We picked out a perfect spot for our cache, then set out and trekked around the park for the entire afternoon finding the stages of the multi, doing the calculations, and finally hiking to the final stage. Which turned out to be located at precisely the spot we'd chosen for our new cache.

I was wearing a heavy winter coat, and as we looked around the area, I put my Oregon 550t deep inside one of the pockets. But apparently not deep enough. After about 15 minutes of looking around, I decided to consult my unit and verify the location. The 550t wasn't in my pocket. It had fallen into the snow somehow.

We poked around in the snow for well over an hour. By this time, it was late afternoon and we were starting to lose the light. Plus, we had a dinner reservation that was looming. I was beginning to think that I wouldn't see my precious GPS until the spring thaw. Or, more likely, someone else would find themselves a nifty free GPS unit.

That's when a miracle happened. My partner, Little Truffle-Pig, somehow bumped into the unit under the snow with her dainty toe. The unit was fine, and we made it to dinner on time. I was more than happy to pay this time.

I almost forgot to mention that we never did find the cache that day. We didn't find it until the spring when the snow was gone. It was hidden deep under a pile of fallen logs, and had been buried in the deep snow.

The moral of this story: I never, ever simply stuff my GPS into a pocket. I attach it to somehow to avoid ever having to repeat that experience.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I keep my GPS on a lanyard around my neck at all times. If I need to have it out of the way, I just tuck it inside my jacket or vest, or sling it over my shoulder.

Before I used a lanyard, I was using a carabiner‎ and one day I missed clipping it to my belt loop and it droppped face down on some rocks.

Luckily only the screen protector was damaged.

How do I set the 600 to go to the compass rose screen after selecting a geocache? Currently it go to the map screen.

No guarantees, but this might do it:

Setup - System - Configure Keys - User Key - Single Tap - Page Loop - Compass

That lets you go directly to the compass screen when single-tapping the user key. It works great!

himilecyclist

How do I set the 600 to go to the compass rose screen after selecting a geocache? Currently it go to the map screen.

No guarantees, but this might do it:

Setup - System - Configure Keys - User Key - Single Tap - Page Loop - Compass

That lets you go directly to the compass screen when single-tapping the user key. It works great!

himilecyclist

Thanks for the reminder!

Forgive me if I'm late to the game on this one but I've identified the point of contact inside the Oregon 650 case that generates the squeak and wanted to share. Contrary to what I first thought the squeaking isn't a result of the shells rubbing. The rub point is actually between the circuit board and the main shell. If you take out the six torx screws the back half of the shell pops off. Then, in the squeaky corner (upper right if looking at the PCB with the screen side on the table) take a very thin piece of plastic, rubber, or small piece of electrical tape and place it between the edge of the circuit board and a small raised margin along the inside of the shell. See image below.

1387447630.jpg

I suggested some time ago that you can simply loosen the torx screws ever so slightly on the squeaky side and it will mitigate the squeak. And while that will work I have no idea on the effect it has on the o-ring and if it maintains a seal. This way you can re-tighten the torx properly and get to the heart of the problem.

Forgive me if I'm late to the game on this one but I've identified the point of contact inside the Oregon 650 case that generates the squeak and wanted to share. Contrary to what I first thought the squeaking isn't a result of the shells rubbing. The rub point is actually between the circuit board and the main shell. If you take out the six torx screws the back half of the shell pops off. Then, in the squeaky corner (upper right if looking at the PCB with the screen side on the table) take a very thin piece of plastic, rubber, or small piece of electrical tape and place it between the edge of the circuit board and a small raised margin along the inside of the shell. See image below.

1387447630.jpg

I suggested some time ago that you can simply loosen the torx screws ever so slightly on the squeaky side and it will mitigate the squeak. And while that will work I have no idea on the effect it has on the o-ring and if it maintains a seal. This way you can re-tighten the torx properly and get to the heart of the problem.

yagazoo,

Great work ! Thanks you very much for that solution. I'm going to give it a try as soon as I get a chance.

Regards.

Now that the Oregon have been out for a while, have Garmin's updates resolved most of the issues for this device or are there still plenty of major bugs outstanding?

Just to be clear - this is an Oregon 6xx thread, you used just the generic word "Oregon", and the list above relates to that model. The Oregon 4xx and 5xx have been out for quite some time, and have many fewer bugs in basic operation. The code is not 100% bulletproof, but is really quite stable. Unlike bugs in some of the more recent Garmin units, some of these bugs are actually quite esoteric, and require a particular use model for someone to discover: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Issues+List?responseToken=55226b5b4e5a593bf1770a0c2db0dee6

I had an Oregon 450T that I eventually had some problems with. Ended up trading it in with Garmin for a 600t. Works great so far (though it's only been a few days) but have a question. With the 450T when I click "found" for a cache it then showed up on the map with an icon of an open treasure chest. When I do the same with the 600T any icon for the cache then disappears from the map. Any idea if the 600T can show the open treasure chest icon?

I had an Oregon 450T that I eventually had some problems with. Ended up trading it in with Garmin for a 600t. Works great so far (though it's only been a few days) but have a question. With the 450T when I click "found" for a cache it then showed up on the map with an icon of an open treasure chest. When I do the same with the 600T any icon for the cache then disappears from the map. Any idea if the 600T can show the open treasure chest icon?

Yes, it can, but at a bit of a price. You need to go into Geocaching, go to the Filter tab, and set Status to include Found caches. Found caches will now show up on the map, but they will also show up in the list of geocaches. I'd prefer to be able to show found caches on the map and not have them included in the list of geocaches, but I've never found a way.

If there's a better way to do this, someone will chime in.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

A Zagg Screen Protector would have probably prevented that. If the Zagg Screen protector was damaged then Zagg would replace it free of charge.

If Zagg made one that fit the odd shape of the front of the Oregon 6xx, which is all glass (the entire surface of which, IMHO, needs protected), I would buy one in a heartbeat. The only screen protector listed on the Zagg site for any Oregon is labelled "Garmin Oregon Series Screen Protector." That can and does fit my Oregon 550t, it won't fit my Oregon 650.

--Larry

I've finally found the screen protector I was hoping for. An outfit called ArmorSuit now makes a screen protector custom-cut to fit the Oregon 6xx series of GPS units. They fit perfectly and install in exactly the same way as the protectors sold by the folks at Zagg. They also cost about half as much as similar Zagg offerings.

Checking the Zagg Web site, they still sell only the generic rectangular screen for the "Garmin Oregon series."

--Larry

1387447630.jpg

I can't believe in this day and age an advanced GPS unit like the Oregon 600 still has a stupid coin/watch battery to retain the settings. Great. When it finally dies (and it will), it will need to be replaced. Guess it must save them 25 cents or whatever over using non-volatile flash memory instead. :rolleyes:

I can't believe in this day and age an advanced GPS unit like the Oregon 600 still has a stupid coin/watch battery to retain the settings. Great. When it finally dies (and it will), it will need to be replaced. Guess it must save them 25 cents or whatever over using non-volatile flash memory instead. :rolleyes:

It's not a battery. It's a 3.3 volt 0.2 farad capacitor. Your settings are already stored in non-volatile flash memory. Pull the batteries out and leave the device alone for awhile. Your settings are still there even after years of sitting around (based on older-but-not-ancient Garmin units... my Oregon does not sit in a drawer for years on end). You can tell that it's a capacitor by looking at this photo of the circuit board. My guess is that it keeps something running while you're switching batteries.

Sorry, it sure looks like a watch battery. It even has the same type of soldered on tab. If it has non-volatile memory, why does it even need a cap or batt in the first place?

And, even if it is a cap, so what? What's the difference? If anything, a cap is WORSE because it will run down and drop the settings or whatever that much faster than a battery ever would. But, it is rechargeable and wouldn't need replacing, so it has that going for it...

Edited by sviking

It's probably running the internal clock like the battery on your computer's motherboard does. See http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question319.htm

Edit: Ever wonder how your digital camera still knows what time it is even after you remove the batteries and put in new ones? It's got a battery or a capacitor inside it. As for the Oregon specifically, if there was no capacitor nor a battery on the circuit board, it wouldn't know how long it had been since it was turned off. If you popped the batteries out to put in a microSD card, how would the Oregon know that it had been off for 30 seconds and not two weeks? For all the Oregon knows, you could have popped the batteries out and put them in a charger for a few hours before putting them back in and powering it up again. If the capacitor wasn't there, it wouldn't have any idea of where to look for the satellites when you turned it on. That would mean waiting around for a minimum of several minutes every time you powered on the device after having switched batteries. Additionally, the GPS satellites send out ephemeris data every once and a while that tells the Oregon where to look in the near future, so keeping track of time when you pull the batteries out is a good thing. When you power it up, it still knows what time it is and can access the stored ephemeris data to lock on to satellites quickly.

As for losing your settings, in most electronics today, they're stored in non-volatile memory. The old adage of a device being unusable or even not turning on because the battery on the circuit board died is not that common now. Besides, even if it were using old CMOS technology (which it isn't), most of your settings are saved off to the mass storage drive in the profile files (like Garmin/Profiles/Automotive.gpf) and read in on boot or when you decide to switch profiles.

Edit again: The plus side of having a capacitor instead of a battery is that 10 years from now when the battery would have died, the capacitor should still work and let you pull the batteries out without losing the current time.

Edited by insig

Pretty sure that's a battery. It's marked x.3v. 'v' as in volts. Can't read the first digit. Capacitors would be labeled xx uF.

It's a memory backup capacitor. :DELNA is a Japanese firm (with an American branch) that makes and sells capacitors. And they don't make batteries, as far as I can determine.

Here's a capacitor similar to the one in the image: 0.22uF 3.3V Coin Cell Capacitor Elna DCK-3R3D224-TP

--Larry

Pretty sure that's a battery. It's marked x.3v. 'v' as in volts. Can't read the first digit. Capacitors would be labeled xx uF.

It's a memory backup capacitor. :DELNA is a Japanese firm (with an American branch) that makes and sells capacitors. And they don't make batteries, as far as I can determine.

Here's a capacitor similar to the one in the image: 0.22uF 3.3V Coin Cell Capacitor Elna DCK-3R3D224-TP

--Larry

By George, you're right. I stand corrected. I had not run into a circuit with one of those before.

I am interested in the Oregon 650 and have read through this whole thread leading to a couple questions:

1. I am very rural and need (or at least would like) turn by turn directions to get to the cache area. I understand the 650 does not have spoken directions, but how easy/good is seeing the directions on the screen?

2. Being a bit long in the tooth and having a bit of a tremor problem (along with short, stubby fingers), how easy is it to hit what you want to hit on the 3" screen. particularly entering log info on the "keyboard"?

I am also looking at the Montana 650 for the bigger screen, but the number of caches and GLONAS (sp?) are hard to ignore. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thx.

I am interested in the Oregon 650 and have read through this whole thread leading to a couple questions:

1. I am very rural and need (or at least would like) turn by turn directions to get to the cache area. I understand the 650 does not have spoken directions, but how easy/good is seeing the directions on the screen?

2. Being a bit long in the tooth and having a bit of a tremor problem (along with short, stubby fingers), how easy is it to hit what you want to hit on the 3" screen. particularly entering log info on the "keyboard"?

I am also looking at the Montana 650 for the bigger screen, but the number of caches and GLONAS (sp?) are hard to ignore. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thx.

I currently have the Oregon 600, which I got after selling a Montana 600. I think the Oregon display is it's strongest feature - to me it's easy to read and sensitive to the touch. I find it easier to use than the Montana and prefer the way it displays cache information. I simply use the field note feature to record the cache as found - or do it on my iphone caching app - so I am not sure how easy it is to enter any information through the keyboard.

I am not certain that GLONASS is much of a factor. My iphone (which also has GLONASS) and the 62s (without it) typically get me a little closer to most caches. That is not to say one unit is more accurate than another, but I have not noticed increased accuracy with the Oregon.

I had gotten the Montana for voice routing (with its cradle), but when I upgraded my phone I found myself using that with Navigon - the phone is more responsive than the Montana was for me. The Oregon works well for routing, but the voice is handy if I am driving by myself in heavy traffic.

I never ran out of room for cache when using the Montana, but only load what I might need so massive amounts of caches were never an issue. I used it with a holster case when hiking, but the Oregon is definitely easier to carry.

If you can go to a store that has both units (or know cachers with one or the other), I would recommend trying both and seeing how you like the display, feel, or keyboards on each unit.

I currently have the Oregon 600, which I got after selling a Montana 600. I think the Oregon display is it's strongest feature - to me it's easy to read and sensitive to the touch. I find it easier to use than the Montana and prefer the way it displays cache information. I simply use the field note feature to record the cache as found - or do it on my iphone caching app - so I am not sure how easy it is to enter any information through the keyboard.

I am not certain that GLONASS is much of a factor. My iphone (which also has GLONASS) and the 62s (without it) typically get me a little closer to most caches. That is not to say one unit is more accurate than another, but I have not noticed increased accuracy with the Oregon.

I had gotten the Montana for voice routing (with its cradle), but when I upgraded my phone I found myself using that with Navigon - the phone is more responsive than the Montana was for me. The Oregon works well for routing, but the voice is handy if I am driving by myself in heavy traffic.

I never ran out of room for cache when using the Montana, but only load what I might need so massive amounts of caches were never an issue. I used it with a holster case when hiking, but the Oregon is definitely easier to carry.

If you can go to a store that has both units (or know cachers with one or the other), I would recommend trying both and seeing how you like the display, feel, or keyboards on each unit.

Thanks for the info!

The display screen and size are just a couple of features that make me lean to the Oregon. The only other means of navigation I have is a Nuvi 2455 and I am not very comfortable trying to navigate to a cache (at least 20 miles to get to just one unfound cache) with a unit that does not easily load caches. It could be done, but might end up being a bit of a pain.

Again, having to travel quite a distance to even begin caching, I have had to load different databases from GSAK depending on which direction I am heading. It would be much easier just maintaining and loading one database.

I will probably do the store thing at some point, but the best chance of finding a store that has both in stock will require a minimum 200 mile round trip. Unfortunately, I do not know any other cachers let alone somebody with one or the other units.

I might add that I have been geocaching with a Nuvi 500, my first venture into GPS just to see if I liked caching and use that means of navigation rather then the cost of On Star. Needless to say, I am now hooked on geocaching and would like to get something that should work far better then the Nuvi 500, which has now developed boot problems that Garmin says require repair. They are willing to replace the unit at a fair price or apply that amount to the purchase of a different unit. I am just not comfortable spending an amount for a discontinued GPS and losing the benefit of Life Time map updates that I have only used for a couple years.

I am thinking of upgrading to an Oregon 600t for geocaching. I understand it can hold a lot of geocaches, but how do you keep the information updated. Do you replace the entire data base with a new pocket query on a regular basis? How do you Oregon 6xx users keep your geocaching info current? Thanks for you help.

I am thinking of upgrading to an Oregon 600t for geocaching. I understand it can hold a lot of geocaches, but how do you keep the information updated. Do you replace the entire data base with a new pocket query on a regular basis? How do you Oregon 6xx users keep your geocaching info current? Thanks for you help.

Some may download and replace updated pocket queries. Others may use third party tools like GSAK. I use a caching app (Geosphere) to manage caches and transfer the data directly to the Oregon when I want yo use it.

I keep my cache list updated with GSAK. I can have thousands of them on there at any one time. Filter the list depending on what I want to look for, update the list, load it to the GPS and go.

I've just purchased an Oregon 600 and am struggling with battery life. The same batteries I was using in m 62st are discharging at an alarming rate. They are rechargable NiMH batteries and the good is eating them whereas before my 62st would easily GI caching all day on the same batteries. Should I have them set on precharged NiMH or just nimh ?

Ok so I'll try it in nimh. They're just big standard ones from the shop ... Unsure by what type of Nimh ones you mean :)

I'm finding the accuracy isn't so good especially under trees ... Worse than on my iPhone! Is this normal despite calibrating the compaq several times? I'm going on holiday next week with it and I'd I'm still unhappy I think I'll be speaking to garmin.

Ok so I'll try it in nimh. They're just big standard ones from the shop ... Unsure by what type of Nimh ones you mean :)

You want the low self discharge NiMH type batteries. The black Sanyos I mentioned above are exactly those type and they are fantastic batteries.

Lost 4 brand new ones at MOGA 2014 :( Never even got to use them.

You want the low self discharge NiMH type batteries. The black Sanyos I mentioned above are exactly those type and they are fantastic batteries.

Lost 4 brand new ones at MOGA 2014 :( Never even got to use them.

Dang, that sucks. They seem to be awesome batteries. I only have a few charge cycles on them, but they last and last. Just hope they last over the long haul. My older white 2000mAh Sanyo Eneloops are getting pretty tired and they have NOWHERE near the claimed 1500 cycles on them and, yes, I use a decent charger and not the dumb wall wart type charger. :rolleyes:

As the batteries I'm using are the ones that have worked perfectly fine in my GPSMAP62ST I don't see it's my batteries at fault here.

I emailed Garmin support at the start of the week but have still heard nothing from them. I've just resent my support email. I thought I'd just put all my problems into the same request!

Battery life

I am using the same NIMH batteries that I have been using in my Garmin GPSMAP 62st without a problem however the Oregon 600 is eating the batteries at an alarming rate. Which setting should I have them on? NIMH or Precharged NIMH? Is there a known problem with this? I'm having to take 2 spare sets of batteries out with me for just one day's geocaching.

Geocaches

I uploaded a pocket query from www.geocaching.com onto my Oregon 600 that contained just 1500 caches. Not all of the caches appear on it. I've stood next to a cache and looked for it but it's not in the unit. Even when someone sent me the cache details wirelessly they don't appear. I have also tried using the spell search but am being told that the cache I'm looking for isn't in the unit.

Inaccuracy

I'm not very happy with the accuracy of my unit. I've had both my GPSMAP 62st and my Oregon 600 side by side and the Oregon 600 is way out with it's accuracy. I've calibrated the compass several times but it hasn't improved the accuracy. On one occasion at the weekend I was standing right next to a geocache and the unit was telling me it was still 100 feet away! When I spend hundreds of pounds on a new unit I really do not expect to have such poor service from it that I end up getting my iPhone out to use the geocaching.com app on it, nor do I expect to have to carry round my old GPSMAP62st to check the accuracy.

ZEDOC,

Battery Life: I'm using the same Eneloops I was using with my 60CSx. The battery life seems to be comparable. Set the battery type to whatever type of battery you have. The Eneloops are pre-charged so that's how I set the 600. The batteries hang in there a long time at two or three bars. There are a variety of settings you can adjust (backlight being one) to maximize battery life.

Geocaches: Haven't a clue. Haven't run into that with mine. I have not quite 1000 caches stored on it.

Accuracy: My 600 has about the same accuracy as my 60CSx - about 12 feet when it settles. I noticed that the 600 is better at maintaining a heading when I've locked on a cache at a distance. The 60CSx would tend to veer right or left en route. The Oregon tracks more of a straight line. Make sure you have Waas/Egnos and GLONASS turned on and hold the unit away from your body.

Question: Have you upgraded the firmware to the latest version?

Edited by bikebill77

Geocaches

I uploaded a pocket query from www.geocaching.com onto my Oregon 600 that contained just 1500 caches. Not all of the caches appear on it. I've stood next to a cache and looked for it but it's not in the unit. Even when someone sent me the cache details wirelessly they don't appear. I have also tried using the spell search but am being told that the cache I'm looking for isn't in the unit.

Make sure that you don't have a filter running on the Oregon 600. I recently purchased an Oregon 650 and inadvertently filtered out some caches without realizing it. The filtering is different than on older Oregons and it is easier to turn on with the sensitive touch screen.

Click the Geocaching icon and then in the Geocaching view, select the Filter icon (funnel, top right)

You can either go through each section and make sure you're not hiding anything or click on the Filter icon, lower right and then "Show All". In my case, with the touch screen being so sensitive, I must have accidentally dragged a couple of the sliders from the maximum, effectively filtering out some caches.

The sliders should all show 1.0 on the left and 5.0 on the right.

The Cache Size should have a green check next to all items.

The Status should at least have a green check mark next to Unattempted and Did Not Find

The Type should NOT have a Circle with Red Slash icon next to any item.

Inaccuracy

I'm not very happy with the accuracy of my unit. I've had both my GPSMAP 62st and my Oregon 600 side by side and the Oregon 600 is way out with it's accuracy. I've calibrated the compass several times but it hasn't improved the accuracy. On one occasion at the weekend I was standing right next to a geocache and the unit was telling me it was still 100 feet away! When I spend hundreds of pounds on a new unit I really do not expect to have such poor service from it that I end up getting my iPhone out to use the geocaching.com app on it, nor do I expect to have to carry round my old GPSMAP62st to check the accuracy.

Have you checked the accuracy against a benchmark? It's tough to determine how accurate your unit is based on the location of a cache. Not only do you have your inaccuray, you have the inaccuracy of the unit used to place a cache.

I'll watch out for the filter and see if that's it.

I've been surrounded by people with GPS units, mainly garmin ones, too all heading for the same cache. They head off one way and I'm still walking! Mingling with other cachers at events is how I've discovered the innacuracies of my unit. Interestingly though today i t was suggested I switch off the additional satellites the 600 receives and the accuracy immediately improved! I also managed a day out on the one set of batteries, so I guess NiMH is the correct setting g.

Still no reply from Garmin despite a second email. Hummm I was assured they quickly responded to support emails!

Edited by zeryx

I've been surrounded by people with GPS units, mainly garmin ones, too all heading for the same cache. They head off one way and I'm still walking! Mingling with other cachers at events is how I've discovered the innacuracies of my unit. Interestingly though today i t was suggested I switch off the additional satellites the 600 receives and the accuracy immediately improved! I also managed a day out on the one set of batteries, so I guess NiMH is the correct setting g.

I was concerned about accuracy when I first started using my 600. There were too many times when my iphone or other garmin units put me at a particular location, but the 600 had me 20 feet or more away. I turned off GLONASS. It now seems to get me to the same place as my friend's 60csx or my 62s. At the very least, it did not seem that having the extra satellites was giving me any advantage.

I was concerned about accuracy when I first started using my 600. There were too many times when my iphone or other garmin units put me at a particular location, but the 600 had me 20 feet or more away. I turned off GLONASS. It now seems to get me to the same place as my friend's 60csx or my 62s. At the very least, it did not seem that having the extra satellites was giving me any advantage.

Thats very reassuring as I was concerned that my unit was faulty! Glad to know it appears to be the additional sate!lites ... Maybe they just don't cover Scotland very well!