New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

Does anyone kow if there is a ANY way to turn off the clock on the main menu screen? Cant understand why they made the icon size so big there.

Tap and hold on the clock. After a few seconds of holding your finger on the clock it will give you other dashboard options.

Perfect!!! Thank You so much. Now can you fix the freezing problem? Early in the morning, its Garmin tech support for me. Gonna journal everything I do with this thing til its right or taken back.

I spoke with Garmin this AM and they werent too much help. One thing I asked was whether there is a way to mass delete all caches on the unit while not hooked up to a computer. They said no.

Then we proceeded to talk about the freezing problem. They didnt come up with a solution for that for me. They did tell me to D/L Basecamp, which is kinda cool, (imho). One thing I was told that was surprising. When we were talking about deleting the caches off of the machine, (no there is no way to do it in the field), they told me to only delete the folder with GPX, and not to delete the folder with GGZ. Well, if you only delete the GPX folder, the machine will rebuild the GPX folder from the GGZ folder. Once I delete both folders and sent a new query to the machine using GSAK, the unit performs correcly. SO, I suppose that perhaps there wa a corrupted file or something causing the unit to freeze.

Stay Tuned!!

SO, I suppose that perhaps there wa a corrupted file or something causing the unit to freeze.

Stay Tuned!!

A corrupt GPX file freezing a GPS unit is fairly common. You'll see a lot of that reported here whether or not the user knows it's a corrupt file or not.

.ggz files sound like another garmin proprietary thing. Probably has some opencaching tie-in.

Pretty slick looking unit though!

Just bought the Oregon 650T thought it held unlimited Geocaches, well it does as long as the caches are on OpenCaching and not Geocaching according to Garmin, 12,000 same as my Montana on Geocaching.com thinking of returning it.

Scubasonic

ZAGG does make a screen protector for the new Oregons. I got the second one they made installed on my 650t and it is great!

Could you please point me to where Zagg is offering a screen protector specifically for the 6x0 series? All I can find (I just looked again) is on this page, and these will NOT fit the 6x0 series.They're designed for the older Oregon units with rectangular glass areas.

Also, when I search the Zagg site for "Garmin Oregon 650" or "Garmin Oregon 600" it displays a "No results" error message.

--Larry

I took my new Oregon 650T to a Kiosk outside of the Apple Store they had it done for me in about 10 minutes works great.

Well, I decided to take the new 600 out for a test run today. One of the features of the unit allows you to have the top 1/3 of the screen showing the selected geocache, the compass heading and the distance to the cache. If the unit is working properly, you can touch that 1/3 of the screen and it 'should' take you to the screen that has the description, hint and a couple of other options that excape me right now. Heres the bug, If you touch that portion of the screen, the machine locks up and the icon that shows the unit is searching stays on the screen. Powering down is the only way to get off of that screen. I immediately did a firmware upgrade from 2.60 to 2.80. That upgrade made no difference at all. Tomorrow, I will call Garmin and see what they can do for me. I bought this at R.E.I for 400 and they have a ONE YEAR return policy. That is tough to beat.

I agree REI is the way to go their return policy used to not have a time limit but they changed that to a year which is still really good.

.ggz files sound like another garmin proprietary thing. Probably has some opencaching tie-in.

Pretty slick looking unit though!

Just bought the Oregon 650T thought it held unlimited Geocaches, well it does as long as the caches are on OpenCaching and not Geocaching according to Garmin, 12,000 same as my Montana on Geocaching.com thinking of returning it.

Scubasonic

The smart guys over at GSAK updated their macros so you can send caches as either gpx OR ggz files...allowing you to have almost unlimited caches. It's worth looking into...

Hi I am new to this and not so good in english but hope you understand me and can help me anyway.

When I unzip the PQ-file I get 2 gpx-files and when I drag n drop them in the unit I can see all my caches but my waypoints only showes in codes in the waypointlist and I find it impossible to use them in that way, I can't find to solve this problem, can you please help me ?

When I open the wpts-file in gsak I can see the name of the waypoints and all other stuff but I can't find how to change the settings to the right to show up the names instead of codes in my unit, how are you doing / changing this in your Oregon 6xx, I have the 650 one.

Thanks in advance.

Candy-rats in sweden !

Disregard the previous post. They are confusing caches and waypoints. The export function name applies to caches. Waypoints do have names but they are like pkxxxx or something else.

Why do you find it impossible? You will see a list of waypoints for a cache in the description. If it says park at PKxxxx then you find that waypoint and go to it. If it says that there are several stops such as a multi you find that waypoint and go to it. I do it all the time.

Earthcaches always have several stops to follow.

Does the Oregon 600 support other languages? Can I enter text with a different keyboard similar to what I can do with an iPhone?

Yes to both questions.

Which language input does the Oregon 600 support? Is Chinese one of them?

I see Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Farsi, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovakian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.

Larry, sorry to hear about (and see) your scratched up screen. That sucks, I've been there. Lessons learned the hard way, on a device you take hiking, camping, hunting, and rock scrambling, always use a screen protector. The $15 in pocket money spent on a protector could save you that terrible sinking feeling (and $100).

I've had a screen protector (Zagg brand) on my 550t since soon after I bought it. Has anyone begun offering a screen protector that fits the Oregon 6x0 series? I'd rather not cut my own, so I'm interested only in one designed for the new series.

I just checked the Zagg Web site. They offer a generic invisibleSHIELD protector for the Garmin Oregon series, but if that's cut for the 4x0 and 5x0 units, it won't fit the larger screens on the 6x0 series.

--Larry

I went to the Zagg shop they custom made one for my Oregon 650T

So yesterday I took my 650 out for a second test-cache.

I have about 20000 caches on it now and maps for belgium, the netherlands, luxemburg and three US states :-))

At the first wp the compass did have some difficulties. Pointing in the right direction for a second and than changing to the oposite direction, and agai, and again...

But by the second wp this was gone and the precesion was as good as with my 60csx ( so perhaps it does need a bit more time to "warm up").

I used the lock-screen features every time I put it in my pocket and this works just fine.

The overview on the maps is a lot better than on my 60, but the map has the tendency to turn around, so I'll have look if there is an option to lock that.

So I'm pretty satisfied. It's a big step forward from the 60csx with regards to nmb of caches, maps, paperless caching and map reading and the accuracy seems to be fine, we'll see how that holds up when we hit the Smokey's.

(Just thought I add some positve comments)

(By the way, we do have a perfectly fitting screen protector, but I'm sorry I don't know the brand, bought it in thr waypoint shop (belgium), but it's not on their site)

Regards

Anann

On the Montana shorty push the on/off and a screen pops up, then tap the lock.

That didn't work on my 650 and I still have not figured out how to lock the screen but I did figure out how to keep the orientation in portrait mode which is nice: Setup --> Display --> Orientation Lock

Never mind, the power button did bring up the lock icon. I don't know how I missed it before.

Edited by RocketMan

You should be able to tap the power button to bring up the status page (with the brightness bar) and then tap the padlock icon. Maybe you set up your keys to do something else? Setup -> System -> Configure Keys -> Power Key -> Single Tap should say Status Page.

You should be able to tap the power button to bring up the status page (with the brightness bar) and then tap the padlock icon. Maybe you set up your keys to do something else? Setup -> System -> Configure Keys -> Power Key -> Single Tap should say Status Page.

You can set up the "lock screen" this way. I've linked it to the double tap of the power key.

Never mind, the power button did bring up the lock icon. I don't know how I missed it before.

If you don't know or aren't looking for it, you often just don't see it. :rolleyes:

Well, the sad thing is that I was looking for it. When I saw the brightness level bar come up, i didn't think it would be on the same screen so I moved on. :o

Good News!!! Garmin have released their monthly update for the Garmin 6xx (at http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6157).

The Bad News is that v2.9 only cures 2 minor problems according to Garmin (* Fixed issue with route calculations always avoiding seasonally closed roads: * Fixed USB compatibility issue)

Chris

Edited by Matthew 7:7 Too

So they make an 'update' to solve USB compatibility issues and this is good news??

The 'update' is successful, all good so far.

I mean, how low can expectancy go???

They make the most beautiful Gps'es, about 450 models on the moment, these models must have more or less the same software somehow, shouldn't we expect and get a normal good working Gps??

At least a gps without usb issues, or didn't they even test the usb.

You obviously you didn't read the 6XX Wiki yet.

Garmin has +450 models on the moment and not even the usb is stable?

Are they reinventing the wheel on every model, because by now the software should be working.

O yes, I forgot they have about 60 unresolved issues with the Montana, Garmin considers the Montana an old model (2years)

so don't expect to much firmware updates, is what Garmin says.

Edited by splashy

Gah! Think I might be confused again. Really enjoying using our Oregon 600 on our two week camping trip in Dorset, England.

BUT, where the heck do we read the mini-logs that we typed into a few of the caches we found?

I tried and tried to find them last night, but they were nowhere to be seen!

If, for instance, I go to the cache details from the main Geocaching button, there is nothing there for "view log" and if I press "log" it looks like I'm logging for the first time: my previous notes are not there.

Help! (And thanks!!)

Garmin has +450 models on the moment and not even the usb is stable?

Are they reinventing the wheel on every model, because by now the software should be working.

O yes, I forgot they have about 60 unresolved issues with the Montana, Garmin considers the Montana an old model (2years)

so don't expect to much firmware updates, is what Garmin says.

Technology is constantly evolving, even the USB standard. Don't think for a sec that the USB standard is fixed. A for unresolved bugs. What's new? There'll always be bugs when it comes to softwares. If you want 99.9% bug free softwares, be prepared to pay military pricing, double digit multiple of consumer pricing. That's just life!

Just be thankful that Garmin keeps up with these updates.

Edited by ciprol

Yeah, right keep on hoping, but I'm afraid it won't be resolved, because experience with Garmin learns, they don't actually resolve software problems.

The bug free military pricing is total nonsense, we have zillions gadgets that do what they have to do for a normal price, including many Garmin models.

It's the outdoor models they seem to have problems with.

What happens now isn't new, it happened with many models before.

Yeah, right keep on hoping, but I'm afraid it won't be resolved, because experience with Garmin learns, they don't actually resolve software problems.

The bug free military pricing is total nonsense, we have zillions gadgets that do what they have to do for a normal price, including many Garmin models.

It's the outdoor models they seem to have problems with.

Good luck with your quest in finding a bug free GPS unit out there. I wish you luck.

Bug free is something else, but I wonder why people insist a Gps with about 60 issues and freezing or shutting off all the time is a normal way of presenting a new model on the market.

If this would happen on your tablet or smartphone you would bring it straight away back to the seller.

While my Oregon 650t is far from perfect, it does have two HUGE advantages over all the older Garmin models: First it doesn't fatally crash on booting like the two older Oregons and three 62 models I have owned did. Second, I can store as many geocaches as I will ever possibly want on it. Those are HUGE advantages and worth putting up with bugs and annoyances. I'm pretty happy!

While my Oregon 650t is far from perfect, it does have two HUGE advantages over all the older Garmin models: First it doesn't fatally crash on booting like the two older Oregons and three 62 models I have owned did. Second, I can store as many geocaches as I will ever possibly want on it. Those are HUGE advantages and worth putting up with bugs and annoyances. I'm pretty happy!

My 400t has never fatally crashed - at worst it just freezes and restarts when you remove and then replace the batteries.

I'd like to be able to replace it with a 650 for its brighter screen and ability to see cache pictures, and was hoping to get one for my birthday in November. But I can't decide which year yet :rolleyes:

Edited by Matthew 7:7 Too

I've never had any GPS from any make that is bug free, and I'm not sure it's possible.

I have 2 GPS60CSx units and I have been using them for over 5 years. I cannot recall when I had a problem or bug with either of them. I wanted a unit with the capability to have the hints etc on the unit so I did some research and decided to buy the Oregon 600. While on vacation, I tried it for a cache run. Not at all happy with the interface. AND the battery usage is pathetic. I can take my 60CSx out for several days of caching a few hours at a time and not worry about the batteries going dead. But, the new unit, terrible.

The user interface probably needs some customization to make it more user friendly. But the battery issue alone is enough to make me take this one back.

I've never had any GPS from any make that is bug free, and I'm not sure it's possible.

I have 2 GPS60CSx units and I have been using them for over 5 years. I cannot recall when I had a problem or bug with either of them. I wanted a unit with the capability to have the hints etc on the unit so I did some research and decided to buy the Oregon 600. While on vacation, I tried it for a cache run. Not at all happy with the interface. AND the battery usage is pathetic. I can take my 60CSx out for several days of caching a few hours at a time and not worry about the batteries going dead. But, the new unit, terrible.

The user interface probably needs some customization to make it more user friendly. But the battery issue alone is enough to make me take this one back.

There is a reason that you have not noticed any bugs in either of your 60CSx devices.

The Garmin 60CSx was introduced in 2005-2006, approximately 7 or 8 years ago. The bugs were located and removed before you got your 60CSx's.

Edited by Barrikady

The Garmin 60CSx was introduced in 2005-2006, approximately 7 or 8 years ago. The bugs were located and removed before you got your 60CSx's.

+1! Even then, there'll still be those obscure bugs. No consumer tech company would chase those bugs to the end nor needed. The functionalities provided are more than adequate for the customers.

Did you have the unit in "Battery Save" mode? My guess is not. In fact there is some chance you had the backlight on 100%, backlight timeout set to "Stays On" and screen refresh set to "Fast" and "Track Up". Then you go out and post to the world that the 6xx has terrible battery life. Yeah, it might, if you ignore all the settings that Garmin has provided to maximize battery life.

Edited by yogazoo

Ok, I need to clarify a few things. First off, I bought one of my 60CSX's in July of 06. The second one 6 months later. I have not had any issues with either unit. EVER.

To address the settings that I have the Oregon 600 set to: Battery saver is on. Backlight timeout is set to 30 seconds. What I found strange was that within an hour or so, the unit would display a message stating that the backlight could not be used because the battery power was not high enough.

I have not seen where the screen 'refresh' can be changed. I have map speed set to normal. I also have it set to track up.

I am in fact using alkaline batteries. I've used alkaline batteries since the beginning. I know enough to make sure that the settings are set for the proper type of battery.

Get a pair of NiMH rechargeable batteries. I use Sanyo Eneloops and get much better battery life than you're reporting.

Took the 600 out for a geocaching run today. There's a few things I wonder if anyone else has wondered about. First off, When getting closer to the cache (under .5 mile), I see where the distance count down is in 1/10's only until it gets under 1 tenth of a mile then it converts to feet. Does anyone know if the 1/10's can be changed to 1/100's.

Also I noticed that when I approach a cache that is on the side of the road, the arrow isn't as responsive as it could be to let me know which direction to walk. I have to depend on the distance going up or down to see which way I need to go next. If I switch over to compass, it doesn't look like it is even seeing the current cache. I know that with the 60CSx, as the distance counts down and gets under 50 feet the arrow will point in the direction of the cache. Im not sure if its a setting I don't have set right or what it could be.

Also I noticed that when I approach a cache that is on the side of the road, the arrow isn't as responsive as it could be to let me know which direction to walk. I have to depend on the distance going up or down to see which way I need to go next. If I switch over to compass, it doesn't look like it is even seeing the current cache. I know that with the 60CSx, as the distance counts down and gets under 50 feet the arrow will point in the direction of the cache. Im not sure if its a setting I don't have set right or what it could be.

I have had the same experience with the compass. In any kind of tree cover, it is worthless. I have pretty much given up trying to use the compass very much, and, like you, just watch the numbers counting down. That brings up the question: If the unit knows its position relative to the destination, it should be able to display the compass accurately.

And a question I have wondered about: If my $15 cheapie compass can always display directions accurately, regardless of tree cover, why can't the GPS receivers use the same method, but converted to an electronic format? I assume the answer is because they rely on GPS signals rather than magnetic fields, but why can't they use either or both?

I also agree with you: The 6xx units have less reliable compasses than my older 62. I sure hope they can improve the situation with a software update!