New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

To Splashy and Red: thanks also for your prompt and informative replies.

Whilst waiting, I did a little experiment, and I have to say that I COULD put my .GPX files on my SD card, even though it is a pre-filled map card. Must be a recent change to the system that allows one to do this, perhaps?

Anyway, with everything you guys said in mind, I have decided not to store the .GPX files on the map card anyway. Sounds like I could be letting myself in for problems if I somehow managed to corrupt or lose the map files, even if I had taken a backup copy on the Mac.

So, we'll stick to leaving the GC waypoints on the main unit, along with all the usual manual waypoints that will get added and removed from there over time.

Many thanks all for your contributions: any further enlightenment from anyone else is still appreciated :)

Happy caching. The UK is actually getting a bit of summer this week!

I loaded a PQ for an area 1000 miles away and the caches would not show up on the geocache list (very frustrating). I could pan over on the map and they were showing on the map where I could click on them and open the geocaches that way. I read somewhere that the list only shows caches that are 50 miles away or less. Does anyone know a way to turn that "feature" off?

Thanks very much for your quick reply. As long as other users are seeing the same thing, I'm not too worried. We wouldn't want to use the Geocaching button itself until we were fairly near GZ anyway, but it is annoying that this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

Anyway, thanks again.

I think the limit is 100 miles, not 50. Also, I did figure out that when you bring up the geocache list, if you open up the menu, you can do a "Search Near - A Recent Find, A Waypoint, My Current Location, A Map Point". It would be nice if that list included the City/State/Address type choices too.

...and what are .GGZ files ??

Load caches from GSAK. Or use your favorite program or website supporting GGZ files*.

I use GSAK, and I am still unfamiliar with the *.GGZ file format. Can you share more information? How does it compare to a *.GPX?

I am thinking about a new Garmin, mine was just stolen. Has Garmin ever fixed the problem with the navigation pointer sticking when you are using the "compass" screen? I have sent mine back in twice now and it still does the same thing. I can go to "map" and find the cache, but never with the "compass" screen. Anything new that you know of on that?? Thanks.

Also, I did figure out that when you bring up the geocache list, if you open up the menu, you can do a "Search Near - A Recent Find, A Waypoint, My Current Location, A Map Point". It would be nice if that list included the City/State/Address type choices too.

Very true. Well, I just downloaded the latest firmware upgrade - Garmin seem to be doing these fairly regularly at the moment, so maybe that is a feature that will get added.

Thanks again for your time.

<~~Still secretly wondering about putting those .GPX files on our maps card...it did work...don't want to mess anything up though...

Yes it works, but be aware the gps is limited in amount of maps (maptiles) and map Gb's.

Before it was about 4000 maptiles and/or 4Gb, on the moment I'm not sure.

The 4GB is separate from the maptiles. The 4GB limit is for Microsoft's FAT32 filesystem. You can have multiple maps that total more than 4GB, but then you'll often run into the maptile limitation as well.

Found the video about the quality of the screen and the device, impressive to see! :)

Maybe I don't need my screen protector after all.

Maybe the folks who made this video just got lucky.

I used my Oregon 650 on a trip to the Catskills earlier this week, and was going after a cache hidden under a bridge. I had it hooked to a belt loop using the carabiner that comes with it. I was clambering up some rocks, and the GPS must have bumped up against one of the aforementioned rocks. The next time I looked at it, here's what I saw:

Oregon%2520650%2520scratches.jpg

Those are deep scratches.

I contacted Garmin by e-mail, and they've offered to replace the unit for $110 (guess such scratches aren't covered by the warranty). They would normally replace it with a refurbished unit, but they don't have any refurbished samples available yet, so I'll get a brand new unit. Looks as if I'll be going back to my trusty 550t for the time being.

--Larry

Larry, sorry to hear about (and see) your scratched up screen. That sucks, I've been there. Lessons learned the hard way, on a device you take hiking, camping, hunting, and rock scrambling, always use a screen protector. The $15 in pocket money spent on a protector could save you that terrible sinking feeling (and $100).

Larry, sorry to hear about (and see) your scratched up screen. That sucks, I've been there. Lessons learned the hard way, on a device you take hiking, camping, hunting, and rock scrambling, always use a screen protector. The $15 in pocket money spent on a protector could save you that terrible sinking feeling (and $100).

I've had a screen protector (Zagg brand) on my 550t since soon after I bought it. Has anyone begun offering a screen protector that fits the Oregon 6x0 series? I'd rather not cut my own, so I'm interested only in one designed for the new series.

I just checked the Zagg Web site. They offer a generic invisibleSHIELD protector for the Garmin Oregon series, but if that's cut for the 4x0 and 5x0 units, it won't fit the larger screens on the 6x0 series.

--Larry

Larry, sorry for the damage.

That long center "flaw" doesn't look like a scratch to my eye, rather a fracture.

I thought the 6xx series had a form of Gorilla Glass? So much for super glass.

That long center scratch is more like a fracture, which is why I contacted Garmin about a replacement as soon as I got back home. I'm not at all sure this unit is water resistant anymore.

I have to wonder how the sample that was abused in that video didn't sustain any apparent damage. I'm appalled at how easy it was to damage mine.

--Larry

Hmmm....I've only used a 450 during my time caching and I'm wondering if I should just buy another one or two as backups for down the road? Its durable and I've been able to work around what "bugs" it does have. I know its too early to judge on the new Garmin series but it seems like there are more negatives than positives from those that have it. The etched screen above is troubling and disappointing from a supposed improved model.

Hmmm....I've only used a 450 during my time caching and I'm wondering if I should just buy another one or two as backups for down the road? Its durable and I've been able to work around what "bugs" it does have. I know its too early to judge on the new Garmin series but it seems like there are more negatives than positives from those that have it. The etched screen above is troubling and disappointing from a supposed improved model.

Very good judgment I have the 600 and do not recommend anyone ... very poor accuracy.-- NOT BUY THIS 600 SERIES !!!!!

Hi all, New to this forum,Just my input about the Oregon 600.

Purchased less then a week ago, came with firmware 2.40, updated to 2.80 before first use. Stuck blue pixel on screen, compass very very erratic, when stationary trip computer showed quite rapid movement. Trip log showed movement over several miles even though the unit was stationary in my back garden with good view of sky and reported accuracy of 23Ft. Numerous crashes/ switch offs and screen corruption. Hoping the next firmware fix would sort out some if not all problems. Then the unit got extremely hot at the back. Took out batts (fresh branded alkaline and set correct in menu) and they were roasting. Back in it's box and off to the retailer.

Replaced without any issues. New unit shipped with firmware 2.60 (updated to 2.80) much later serial number. No screen issues or corruption, compass behaving as you would expect, track log and trip computer show no movement when stationary, and no overheating. Hasn't locked up or crashed yet. The whole unit seems stable in operation unlike my first.

My reason for posting is I wonder how many people are putting up with a unit thinking the firmware is causing issues that are actually hardware based, with some component(s) not working to spec. Not saying that the firmware isn't buggy and it definitely is, but the issues I had with my first unit are not there with the second and point to hardware. Testing should have found these component problems, but sometimes the suppliers sell substandard components to the manufacturers and it takes time to find these problems. :D

Can't wait to get out and find some hidden treasure with my son,(that's how he puts it)

Hope my input helps.

Hi all, New to this forum,Just my input about the Oregon 600.

Purchased less then a week ago, came with firmware 2.40, updated to 2.80 before first use. Stuck blue pixel on screen, compass very very erratic, when stationary trip computer showed quite rapid movement. Trip log showed movement over several miles even though the unit was stationary in my back garden with good view of sky and reported accuracy of 23Ft. Numerous crashes/ switch offs and screen corruption. Hoping the next firmware fix would sort out some if not all problems. Then the unit got extremely hot at the back. Took out batts (fresh branded alkaline and set correct in menu) and they were roasting. Back in it's box and off to the retailer.

Replaced without any issues. New unit shipped with firmware 2.60 (updated to 2.80) much later serial number. No screen issues or corruption, compass behaving as you would expect, track log and trip computer show no movement when stationary, and no overheating. Hasn't locked up or crashed yet. The whole unit seems stable in operation unlike my first.

My reason for posting is I wonder how many people are putting up with a unit thinking the firmware is causing issues that are actually hardware based, with some component(s) not working to spec. Not saying that the firmware isn't buggy and it definitely is, but the issues I had with my first unit are not there with the second and point to hardware. Testing should have found these component problems, but sometimes the suppliers sell substandard components to the manufacturers and it takes time to find these problems. :D

Can't wait to get out and find some hidden treasure with my son,(that's how he puts it)

Hope my input helps.

That's an interesting theory, and I hope that it's correct! It would explain why some early adopters are reporting problems - but not why the glowing review published by Rich Owings on the 1st of May didn't identify any of the problems now being seen. Perhaps it's significant that none of the other review sites have published reviews of the Oregon 6xx yet (as far as I know).

I'm sticking with my Oregon 400t for now until Garmin can be seen to have got their act together, and think I'll compare the performance of the Oregon 650 and Magdellan devices nearer Christmas.

Chris

Hi,

I noticed some overheating on the back of the GPS. Is this a hardware problem? Should I change the GPS with a new one?

I bought it last week. I never noticed that on my Oregon 200

Thks

I use Garmin's rechargeable batteries in my 650 (the ones that recharge in the unit), and the unit does get pretty warm when recharging. I have no way of knowing whether that's normal or an indication of a problem, but most rechargeable batteries get warm when recharging. If you're not using the Garmin rechargeables and your unit is heating up, you might well have a problem.

--Larry

As the mentioned above, I have to ask: The 600 is my first GPSr. I just tried it and within two mins of sitting stationery I had one minute of moving time and one minute of stopped time with 80ft travelled? Is this bit of travel normal? Of course I too have the erratic compass issue. But was curious about this drifting.

Well, I was one of the early adopters that posted glowing reviews of the Oregon 6xx series. I was as impressed then as I am now with the 6xx series. Go and check the Android bug forums and then tell me how disappointed you are with clumsy old Google. People will find bugs no matter what electronic device it is and even more in complex ones. Accuracy has been good on my unit. As good as can be expected on a consumer handheld. I'm not saying there aren't defective units out there but they are few and Garmin will replace them. I will say this, the 6xx is lightyears beyond where any previous Garmin (or GPS from any other manufacturer) was a month since release in terms of software maturity.

I also find it funny that people deem it "troubling and disappointing" that an electronic device with even the most hardened crystal display became scratched because it was ground against a sharp rock. Take the most Gorilla hardened glass cell phone screen and scrape it against a rock a few times with your body's force behind it and tell me how disappointed you are that it became damaged. Until the screen is made of diamond and costs $10,000 perhaps a bit of common sense and caution could go a long way. I've scratched screens on GPS units and you know what, It was my fault.

It's like saying you were disappointed when you broke your GPS running it over with a dump truck. Of course it's going to break. Put on a protective screen saver and don't have it swinging from your belt while your rock climbing. (Larry, this wasn't directed at you but rather the folks that are beside themselves with shock and chagrin that you damaged your unit.)

Edited by yogazoo

My reason for posting is I wonder how many people are putting up with a unit thinking the firmware is causing issues that are actually hardware based, with some component(s) not working to spec.

That's an interesting theory, and I hope that it's correct! It would explain why some early adopters are reporting problems - but not why the glowing review published by Rich Owings on the 1st of May didn't identify any of the problems now being seen.

Chris, how would that not explain the early glowing reviews published by Rich Owings? What Gredge said was that perhaps some units, a batch or whatever, had bad components put in at the manufacturer. Perhaps the ones used for the early reviews weren't from that batch. If true, and we have no way of knowing, that actually WOULD explain it.

Edited by yogazoo

I also find it funny that people deem it "troubling and disappointing" that an electronic device with even the most hardened crystal display became scratched because it was ground against a sharp rock.

Lest anyone get the impression that I'm some sort of intrepid rock climber, I was not climbing up a rock face. Apologies if I left that impression with anyone. These were the sorts of large rocks used on the side of a stream to prevent erosion. The type of rocks that are more likely to turn an ankle when you misstep. I don't even remember my hips (the area where my dearly departed 650 was hanging) contacting anything, so I'm mystified as to how and when the damage was inflicted. "Clambering" in this case meant stepping carefully on big, sometimes-loose rocks to try to keep my footing, not hand-over-hand rock scaling.

Also, just to clarify: My 650 was not "ground against a sharp rock". Nothing was ground against anything, at least I never heard or felt anything grinding during the incident. I never even noticed the unit contacting a rock, or anything else. It was only after I was well away from the rocks that I looked at the unit and saw the damage that had been done. I still believe that whatever contact was made, it was too light to have merited the sort of damage that was caused. I'm still disappointed that the display cracked so easily.

Put on a protective screen saver and don't have it swinging from your belt while your rock climbing.

As soon as someone points me to a screen protector that fits the Oregon 6x0 series, I will be more than happy to purchase it and use it. Several posters have given emphatic warnings about always using a screen protector, yet no one has pointed to one that fits the new units. Until there's a screen protector that fits the 6x0 units, it's a bit tough to follow this advice. Anyone?

--Larry

Edited for clarity.

Edited by larryc43230

I also find it funny that people deem it "troubling and disappointing" that an electronic device with even the most hardened crystal display became scratched because it was ground against a sharp rock.

Lest anyone get the impression that I'm some sort of intrepid rock climber, I was not climbing up a rock face. Apologies if I left that impression with anyone. These were the sorts of large rocks used on the side of a stream to prevent erosion. The type of rocks that are more likely to turn an ankle when you misstep. I don't even remember my hips (the area where my dearly departed 650 was hanging) contacting anything, so I'm mystified as to how and when the damage was inflicted. "Clambering" in this case meant stepping carefully on big, sometimes-loose rocks to try to keep my footing, not hand-over-hand rock scaling.

Also, just to clarify: My 650 was not "ground against a sharp rock". Nothing was ground against anything, at least I never heard or felt anything grinding during the incident. I never even noticed the unit contacting a rock, or anything else. It was only after I was well away from the rocks that I looked at the unit and saw the damage that had been done. I still believe that whatever contact was made, it was too light to have merited the sort of damage that was caused. I'm still disappointed that the display cracked so easily.

Put on a protective screen saver and don't have it swinging from your belt while your rock climbing.

As soon as someone points me to a screen protector that fits the Oregon 6x0 series, I will be more than happy to purchase it and use it. Several posters have given emphatic warnings about always using a screen protector, yet no one has pointed to one that fits the new units. Until there's a screen protector that fits the 6x0 units, it's a bit tough to follow this advice. Anyone?

--Larry

Edited for clarity.

So there are no screen protectors that fits the Oregon 600?

Yes, there are screen protectors available for the Oregon 6xx series.

I've mentioned it before, but it got lost in the other discussions.

The ScreenPatronus store on eBay sells screen protectors specifically for the 6xxx series.

I use these screen protectors on my eTrex 20 and they have saved my screen on several occasions, to the point where the protector was damaged and had to be replaced, but the screen on my GPS was fine.

Yes, there are screen protectors available for the Oregon 6xx series.

I've mentioned it before, but it got lost in the other discussions.

The ScreenPatronus store on eBay sells screen protectors specifically for the 6xxx series.

I use these screen protectors on my eTrex 20 and they have saved my screen on several occasions, to the point where the protector was damaged and had to be replaced, but the screen on my GPS was fine.

The Oregon 6x0 series reportedly uses a different display technology from previous Oregon models, and it's definitely more sensitive to touch.

Has anyone actually used this screen protector on an Oregon 6x0?

Does it negatively affect the touch sensitivity?

--Larry

Edited to add that the only illustration provided on the page for the Garmin 6x0 seems to be of a generic rectangular piece of plastic. That certainly wouldn't cover the non-rectangular glass area on the front of the unit. And if it doesn't cover the entire glass area, it wouldn't provide total protection, and the resulting ridge could be irritating when doing finger swipes.

Combine all this with my not-totally-satisfactory dealings with eBay-only dealers in the past, and I think I'll wait for either more information or a screen protector from a more "mainstream" manufacturer.

Edited by larryc43230

Above are the templates for cutting your own. It's pretty simple and fits like a glove. All you have to do is purchase a larger protector than needed and cut to fit. Purchasing a protector from ZAGG for the Nuvi 5 inch series will suffice.

Final template for the Oregon 6xx, tested OK, fit like a glove.

PDF:

https://mega.co.nz/#...7Shy8DbRLIE684A

SVG (vectorial)

https://mega.co.nz/#...J8iltNcgXcBQuis

Above are the templates for cutting your own. It's pretty simple and fits like a glove. All you have to do is purchase a larger protector than needed and cut to fit. Purchasing a protector from ZAGG for the Nuvi 5 inch series will suffice.

Trust me, that is not a solution for me. Years ago, I tried cutting a screen protector for a device (it wasn't a GPS), and I made a total mess of it. I'll wait till someone offers a screen protector that fits my Oregon 650 out of the box.

--Larry

Final template for the Oregon 6xx, tested OK, fit like a glove.

PDF:

https://mega.co.nz/#...7Shy8DbRLIE684A

SVG (vectorial)

https://mega.co.nz/#...J8iltNcgXcBQuis

Trust me, that is not a solution for me. Years ago, I tried cutting a screen protector for a device (it wasn't a GPS), and I made a total mess of it. I'll wait till someone offers a screen protector that fits my Oregon 650 out of the box.

--Larry

I had a couple of left over iPhone5 screen protectors and I used one of those in conjunction with the template and it works fine (The earphone slot at the top looks kind of funny but it's in the black area so it's no biggie). And to answer the earlier question, the touch screen works perfectly with the screen protector on it.

ZAGG does make a screen protector for the new Oregons. I got the second one they made installed on my 650t and it is great!

Could you please point me to where Zagg is offering a screen protector specifically for the 6x0 series? All I can find (I just looked again) is on this page, and these will NOT fit the 6x0 series.They're designed for the older Oregon units with rectangular glass areas.

Also, when I search the Zagg site for "Garmin Oregon 650" or "Garmin Oregon 600" it displays a "No results" error message.

--Larry

Larry, I actually live near their headquarters in Utah and went there (about a month ago). They had just finished installing the first 650 protector on another customer's unit (he got it free for being first!). Mine was the second one they did. So they have the "mold" for sure. They probably just haven't added it to their list yet. I would suggest calling them and asking. They have been very helpful in the past. Good luck!

Larry, I actually live near their headquarters in Utah and went there (about a month ago). They had just finished installing the first 650 protector on another customer's unit (he got it free for being first!). Mine was the second one they did. So they have the "mold" for sure. They probably just haven't added it to their list yet. I would suggest calling them and asking. They have been very helpful in the past. Good luck!

Thanks for the information, I'll call them when I get a chance. I have Zagg screen protectors on most of my portable gadgets, and I've had good luck with them so far.

At the moment, there's no particular hurry, since my unit with the fractured display is now in the hands of the folks at Garmin, and they haven't shipped my replacement yet (they say I should get it in 10 to 14 business days).

--Larry

Hi folks! Does the frame on the left hand side creak on your Oregon 600? There was a similar problem with the new 62 series.

Is it a argument for replacing the unit? I think it's quite annoying.

Nop, my unit do not creak on any side, but I really have to press hard back cover of the battery so I could close it.. :/

I e-mailed Zagg and asked them about a screen protector for the Oregon 650. Here's the response I received today:

================================

Hello Larry, Thank you for contacting ZAGG and iFrogz! My name is ******* and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Regrettably we do not currently have a design for the exact model you are looking for. We are constantly creating new invisibleSHIELD designs for great new gadgets, and you can check back at this link for any updates:

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/

Unfortunately we have thousands of invisibleSHIELD designs and are unable to look through them all, and we do not have physical models to check.

I would suggest comparing your model with some of the models we have online. If you find a device that has similar dimensions to an invisibleSHIELD we do have, you can order it and if it does not fit we do have a 45 day money back guarantee.

You can learn more about our refund policy here:

http://www.zagg.com/support/faq.php#5

Using Google or other search engines online to look up the dimensions of your device, and the dimensions of a device we have an invisibleSHIELD for can also be very helpful in finding a solution to protect your device.

========================

Unfortunately, since the Oregon 6x0 series GPS units have a non-rectangular area that needs protected, none of their rectangular screen protectors are likely to work.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

i got a screen protector from amazon with no problems a few weeks ago, i'm also having problems with the unit though, poor accuracy, freezing, loosing settings, standing still and it counting up, i've been at a cache and had it showing 70m when it previously showed 4m... very very disappointed with this unit.

i got a screen protector from amazon with no problems a few weeks ago, i'm also having problems with the unit though, poor accuracy, freezing, loosing settings, standing still and it counting up, i've been at a cache and had it showing 70m when it previously showed 4m... very very disappointed with this unit.

Hi Zephyr,

The best advice I can give is to make sure you have the latest software update and also fire up the unit well in advance (at least 30 minutes) of any accuracy assessment. I still haven't experienced many accuracy issues on mine but then again I keep it fired up almost constantly. I would also try turning GLONASS off and see if that helps with perceived accuracy.

Edited by yogazoo

Does anyone kow if there is a ANY way to turn off the clock on the main menu screen? Cant understand why they made the icon size so big there. Also, is there any way to delete all of the geocaches in the unit without having to hook it up to a computer and delete the file?

Edited by Berta, Nick and Zoey

Well, I decided to take the new 600 out for a test run today. One of the features of the unit allows you to have the top 1/3 of the screen showing the selected geocache, the compass heading and the distance to the cache. If the unit is working properly, you can touch that 1/3 of the screen and it 'should' take you to the screen that has the description, hint and a couple of other options that excape me right now. Heres the bug, If you touch that portion of the screen, the machine locks up and the icon that shows the unit is searching stays on the screen. Powering down is the only way to get off of that screen. I immediately did a firmware upgrade from 2.60 to 2.80. That upgrade made no difference at all. Tomorrow, I will call Garmin and see what they can do for me. I bought this at R.E.I for 400 and they have a ONE YEAR return policy. That is tough to beat.

Does anyone kow if there is a ANY way to turn off the clock on the main menu screen? Cant understand why they made the icon size so big there.

Tap and hold on the clock. After a few seconds of holding your finger on the clock it will give you other dashboard options.

Edited by yogazoo

Hi Zephyr,

The best advice I can give is to make sure you have the latest software update and also fire up the unit well in advance (at least 30 minutes) of any accuracy assessment. I still haven't experienced many accuracy issues on mine but then again I keep it fired up almost constantly. I would also try turning GLONASS off and see if that helps with perceived accuracy.

updating the software seems to have got rid of the freezing problem, but the accuracy hasn't improved much, i'm out all day with it so turning it on for 30mins makes no difference, i was out with friends who have a 550t and a 450 yesterday, they were both searching in the same areas and my 650t usually seemed to have me 10m somewhere else....