New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

Anyone with the Garmin Oregon 600t, can you confirm that it only has 300MB available on the device? I can easily run out of this, and I don't want to trust to using a uSD card on it. I'm thinking about going ahead and picking up a 600 instead of the 600t just because it has 1.5GB of available internal memory.

According to the Garmin Oregon 6xx Wiki (at http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Hardware) the memory in the various models is as follows:

600 - 1.8GB total with 1.5GB free

600t - 3.6GB total with 809MB free

650 - 3.6GB total with 2.6GB free

650t - 7.2GB with 4GB free.

These figures are backed up by screenshots, but the t models will presumably vary a bit depending on which country's topo map is installed. The 650 models are still not released yet so the figures must be based on pre-production units.

The Oregon 6xx Wiki has a lot of other very useful answers to some of the questions being asked here, and is being created by early users.

Chris

A word of warning

I have had my Oregon 450, now Oregon 600, lose track of my loaded Geocaches. Keeping them on the internal memory means finding a computer to delete then reload them between power down/power up cycle, to clear memory.

I find it a very good idea to get a MicroSD card, 8G or better, depending upon your needs for maps, mostly, and keeping maps and pocket queries on it. If it looses track of things you only need to power down, remove batteries, MicroSD card, replace batteries, power up, power down, remove batteries, replace MicroSD, replace batteries and power up again, to recover - something you can do in the field, away from computer.

Interesting. I never had this happen on my 400t. I'll keep an eye out on my 600, but everything that I have on my 600, I'll also have on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and my Moto Xoom. I wonder if this issue comes up w/ .ggz files. I haven't had GSAK create these yet, but it seems to be good on a couple 10K+ .gpx files I've got loaded on the 600.

During the past week it did it again, while somewhere in the middle of Florida. Most vexing. All I had were the waypoints, which are in a separate gpx file in a PQ, but caches had all vanished. A removal of the MicroSD and reboot and power down and replace of the MicroSD and power up again brought them back. Pretty irritating, but at least when things are kept on the MicroSD this is possible, using internal memory means the end of the caching day.

Well I switched over to .ggz files before I went to Geowoodstock. I still haven't had the issue you've described and I am keeping my .ggz on internal memory. I wonder if this is only an issue w/ .gpx files. As I mentioned before I never had this issue on my 400t. The closest thing I've had to this was my on my 400t was when I deleted all .gpx files and then loaded a new .gpx then it would get confused and not want to load the .gpx file, I'd have to power cycle it a few times to get it to work. I learned that you should not delete 100% of the .gpx files from the unit or it will cause issue when loading the added .gpx files.

I was wondering why you sold your Montana. I am very fond of mine when hiking/biking and have my Camelback although it is a little large for hanging on the belt when i don't have the pack. While the new Oregon does seem to have some nice features I would miss the Montana screen.

I had it on my motorcycle and it went with the bike when I sold it (F800gs) last year.

Well I switched over to .ggz files before I went to Geowoodstock. I still haven't had the issue you've described and I am keeping my .ggz on internal memory. I wonder if this is only an issue w/ .gpx files. As I mentioned before I never had this issue on my 400t. The closest thing I've had to this was my on my 400t was when I deleted all .gpx files and then loaded a new .gpx then it would get confused and not want to load the .gpx file, I'd have to power cycle it a few times to get it to work. I learned that you should not delete 100% of the .gpx files from the unit or it will cause issue when loading the added .gpx files.

I'm finding these bug reports as rather disturbing, especially when compared with the early euphoric reports that the Oregon 6xx was the geocacher's dream machine!

My Oregon 400t locks up from time to time but never loses its geocaches... and I keep mine in the internal memory as the SD card is a read-only OSGB map card. Hopefully they'll solve the problems with updated software by Christmas ;)

As to your other problem, my procedure for replacing GPX files on my 400t is to first delete the old file. Then I disconnect the 400t from my PC and turn it on (I think this flushes out the internal index or filecache.) I then load the new GPX file (often with the same name as the old one). On disconnecting the 400t and turning it on again it seems to then rebuild the geocache index from the new file.

Chris

Here's the bee shot taken by an Oregon 650. This image may have been reduced or altered slightly by the hosting site. So don't go pixel peeping. Notice the rich color tones, nice bokeh, and accurate color rendition from edge to edge.

1370827159.jpg

Great picture! Thanks for doing that.

Nick

Very nice, but is obvious picture of Cagey Bee.

I've only this to report on my Oregon 600 travels in the past week, which has included caching in 117°F heat, it keeps right on going (bugs and all)

on 2.70 and the compass is useless; descriptions sometimes, after the unity have been on for a long spell, come up partially, hang or I get grey bars across the screen part way down (power off and on usually sorts it out), still having to watch for caches without a defined size as they still do not show on the map (but will is cache lists) the little black arrow is about as dumb as the compass, not telling me anything useful until I'm nearly on top of the cache (then it comes over all smarty pants and like, pointing at it.)

Those things aside, it's holding up pretty well, considering a fair bit of knocking around.

I'm still hoping to be able to toggle screen locking with the User Key, one to lock, two to unlock. Can't begin to tell anyone how many times I find some incidental contact has put the thing into Reset modes, change configs, restore defaults, max zoom out or asking it I really really want to completely reset the entire unit, wipe all memory and initiate the next ice age.

on 2.70 and the compass is useless; descriptions sometimes, after the unity have been on for a long spell, come up partially, hang or I get grey bars across the screen part way down (power off and on usually sorts it out), still having to watch for caches without a defined size as they still do not show on the map (but will is cache lists) the little black arrow is about as dumb as the compass, not telling me anything useful until I'm nearly on top of the cache (then it comes over all smarty pants and like, pointing at it.)

Exactly my same issues after 2.7

I just got my 650 and the maps I was hoping would work look like crap - all grey with the lakes not showing up right in the BWCA of northern MN. Any chance someone could try these maps and see if they don't look all grey and blocky with no lakes defined at all? You'd be a life saver if you could tell me how to get them to look right...

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/153/

thanks!

dan

Dan,I tried the maps. (Have not been to to the BWCA in a long time) but they look about the same as they do in Basecamp in my 650. I just used the standard recreation Profile with settings(Detail=More, Shaded relief=show if available). If you go north of the border and don't have any maps for Canada loaded, it would look like what you are describing.

Screens from that map set:

477d.png

508.png

523k.png

537d.png

Thanks for checking it out for me, madturk! I did notice this morning that they look fine when the 650 is in daylight instead of night mode, so it must be something weird with the maps & the inverted night mode. Fortunately I don't do much navigating in the BWCA at night. :)

In that case take a white picture and use that as a gps background (in that profile).

You could do that, or as I have done, create solid images in photoshop and set each as a background to see which you like in different lights. I'll zip up mine and post them publicly, with instructions when I get bsck home. In Oceanside atm, while cache o mobile is in for engine work in Irvine. :P

Thanks for checking it out for me, madturk! I did notice this morning that they look fine when the 650 is in daylight instead of night mode, so it must be something weird with the maps & the inverted night mode. Fortunately I don't do much navigating in the BWCA at night. :)

Setup --> Appearance --> Mode --> Day

Keeps it in Day mode. :)

Is there some trick to filtering geocaches on the 650? I can see where to set up the filters in the settings menu, but I don't see any way to actually use the filters. I have one GPX file with about 400 caches, and I choose "Where to?", and then geocaches. The only two options I see on that screen are to go back to the previous page, and search by cache name.

I'd expect to see some way to filter by traditional, virtual etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Is there some trick to filtering geocaches on the 650? I can see where to set up the filters in the settings menu, but I don't see any way to actually use the filters. I have one GPX file with about 400 caches, and I choose "Where to?", and then geocaches. The only two options I see on that screen are to go back to the previous page, and search by cache name.

I'd expect to see some way to filter by traditional, virtual etc. Anyone have any ideas?

When you are on the Geocache screen look in the upper right corner at the little funnel icon. Click on it to set the filter options.

Is there a different way to get to the geocaching screen other than using "Where to?" off the main menu? This is what I see on my geocache list:

sEgaYwV.png

I've seen the funnel icon in other screenshots before, but for some reason it's not showing up for me.

Edit: Hmm, when I switched my profile to "Geocaching" a new geocaching option shows up, which does have the filter. Not sure why it didn't exist in the default profile, but it seems to be working now...

Thanks.

Edited by wrkncacnter

There are a couple of ways (at least) you can get to the geocaching screen. One is to click on the Geocaching icon in the main menu. I suggest that you drag that icon from the main menu onto your desktop.

Also, while on your desktop, if you click on and hold on the data fields at the top, you can change them to the geocaching fields (compass, distance, etc.). Once you have the geocaching fields showing at the top, you can just single click on them (don't click and hold) to bring up the geocaching screen.

Also, you can drag icons to the left and right of the main desktop screen to move them to a new desktop screen. Each desktop screen can have it's own data fields at the top. I set up one screen for geocaching and another one for driving.

Perhaps this has been answered before but since we're on the geocaching screen and options....When you log the found it in the Oregon and click on to edit comment, there's a size limitation? It only allows so many characters, is this mainly for notes so I know what to type when back at home base and using GSAK or is there a way to add notes that can be uploaded when I upload my finds into GSAK? Sorry if this has been answered before, it is my first GPSr that happens to be an Oregon 600.

I have a new Garmin 600 and I am looking for a way to organize the caches into lists. I know I can store lots of caches on it and I already have a bunch. however if, for example, I am going on a multi city trip and want to be able to find the favorite caches in those cities only, is there a way to sort the list by favorites and by city? The only way I can think to do this is to delete all the caches and only load the city I am in. I still have not been able to use the "Awesomeness" filter... I hope Im missing something in the organizing/sorting.

Currently I have been loading the caches from GSAK and it has been working well, just not the sorting.

Side note - is there a way to view the list from a map perspective? For example nearest cache is only 500 yards away, but on the other side of the river. really easy to determine with a map - frustrating when you run into those roadblocks and the bridge is a mile or two upstream. :\

Perhaps this has been answered before but since we're on the geocaching screen and options....When you log the found it in the Oregon and click on to edit comment, there's a size limitation? It only allows so many characters, is this mainly for notes so I know what to type when back at home base and using GSAK or is there a way to add notes that can be uploaded when I upload my finds into GSAK? Sorry if this has been answered before, it is my first GPSr that happens to be an Oregon 600.

There's a limit of 50 characters on my Oregon 650, and I'm fairly sure it's the same for all Oregon models. I use the "Comment" field to enter a brief, and often abbreviated, note that will help me write a "real" log when I get back home.

--Larry

Garmin Oregon 650, Help!

My geocache list only displays certain caches in the list and not others (I only loaded a dozen or so caches). Whats more is that the unit loses more of the caches as I use the device. I have done both the soft and hard resets with no results. I called Garmin, they took me through the same procedures, same results. They had me delete my caches and install ones only from OpenCache, same results. It does not matter if they are on device storage or an Micro SD card. When I plug the unit in and go to BaseCamp all of my caches show up. Garmin tech could not help, and told me to have a nice day!

Yesterday while out on a cache, I went to one of the caches that it would see, found the cache, went to mark it as found and the device completely locked up. Took out the batteries, restarted, and it came up with no base map or my Garmin 24k maps, the unit was completely useless! The Unit has the most current firmware v2.70.

I should have known better than to purchase a device that was delayed so long, getting really $#@$#ed with Garmin and this GPS.

Anyone else have any of these thing happen? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ps: It's good to be prepared, I always carry a map and compass.

Index corruption on GPX files has been a common problem on the older Oregons and other Garmin handhelds, so that may be what is happening to you. On my Oregon 550, it has happened most often when I add new waypoints in the field ... all of a sudden my presaved geocaches start disappearing.

The best solution I have found is to keep all downloaded GPX files on the SD card. Then I can usually resolve the problem in the field (without connecting to a computer) as follows: 1) Shut down the Oregon and remove the SD card. 2) Restart without the SD card. At this stage, only the added waypoints in internal storage show up. 3) Shut down, reinstall the SD card, reboot.

This forces the Oregon to rebuild the index of GPX files and has always brought back my full list of geocaches. Hope it works for you.

Index corruption on GPX files has been a common problem on the older Oregons and other Garmin handhelds, so that may be what is happening to you. On my Oregon 550, it has happened most often when I add new waypoints in the field ... all of a sudden my presaved geocaches start disappearing.

The best solution I have found is to keep all downloaded GPX files on the SD card. Then I can usually resolve the problem in the field (without connecting to a computer) as follows: 1) Shut down the Oregon and remove the SD card. 2) Restart without the SD card. At this stage, only the added waypoints in internal storage show up. 3) Shut down, reinstall the SD card, reboot.

This forces the Oregon to rebuild the index of GPX files and has always brought back my full list of geocaches. Hope it works for you.

I know I've posted this before but I've had the same issues with the 450 and when I boot up I hold down the top left screen and do a master reset. All of the gpx files then show up as previously installed. I only have to reconfigure how I had the gps unit set up to my liking. Due to the internal size constraints I always put my gpx files from pocket queries on my sd card and usually carry a back up card with me. The card contains my maps and gpx files.

Thank you alandb,

I have done this in exactly the same order, and I do not get my complete list back (it varies, sometimes I get 8 back and sometimes as few as two). I have also manually deleted the GPX folder's from both my device and SD card and then went into BaseCamp and reinstalled them (GPX or GGZ files) into my SD card, does not work. I removed the SD card and reinstalled some files directly to my 'Device' and still only gives me a partial list (again no more than about 8). When I was in the field and removed the batteries it not only would lose my caches, but it also failed to bring up any of my maps (both the internal base map, and my Garmin 24k maps), that was when the map and compass came out.

I like to think I am reasonably intelligent, calm person, this is about when I really started to regret this ______(fill in any expletive that you like) purchase. It's a shame because I really want to like and use the 650. My only hope is to wait and see if someone can figure out a work-around, or Garmin will address the issue in another firmware update, both of which turn out to be a $$$ gamble. Who wants to use a GPS they have little confidence in?

It may simply be a defective unit, I will call Garmin again and see what their response is.

I know I've posted this before but I've had the same issues with the 450 and when I boot up I hold down the top left screen and do a master reset. All of the gpx files then show up as previously installed. I only have to reconfigure how I had the gps unit set up to my liking. Due to the internal size constraints I always put my gpx files from pocket queries on my sd card and usually carry a back up card with me. The card contains my maps and gpx files.

Thanks hankpixie,

The process is a little different on the 650, you hold down both of the buttons simultaneously then release the power button, and that gets you to the reset screen. been there, done that, doesn't work.

BTW, I too do the same with my SD cards. I have also tried various SD cards (capacity and speed), nothing seems to. I know that the device is recognizing my cards because I have my images stored directly to the card, and have no problems with data transfer or recognition. It's kind of like Garmin it playing some cruel digital geocache with me!

It's kind of like Garmin it playing some cruel digital geocache with me!

It's like Garmin hid a puzzle cache in your 650!

Some puzzle caches are a lot more fun than others....

I own a 650 (just received it a couple of weeks ago), and haven't (yet) experienced the craziness you're seeing. A few unexpected shutdowns, especially after creating new waypoints in the field, but nothing like what you're going through. I'll be monitoring your situation closely for further developments. And if I discover anything that might be helpful, I'll be sure to pipe in.

--Larry

I recently lost my 450 and purchased another one. For some reason the lost 450 would recognize 5000 gpx files (5 PQ's) while the new one shows me an error message saying I'm over my gpx file limit when I load the same thing. I haven't changed a thing and am using the exact same sd card as in the previous unit. Not that its a huge problem but I travel frequently and like to have the areas that I'm going to be in on the unit.

Does anyone know how to save or export the trip data? Does it export with the track information to Basecamp? I want to reset it because a trip I took is over, but I want to save the data it captured (total miles traveled etc).

Thanks!

Don't think you can, unless you've had a track running the whole time. Otherwise pencil and paper are your means of recording it.

I took my Oregon 650 out in the field yesterday and discovered that it will always route me via roads.

Even with these routing settings:

- activity = hiking

- lock on road = no

- Avoidance setup = empty

As I haven't heard anything about this issue I'm guessing it's an issue with the map (openstreetmaps via http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/), has anybody have expierience with this issue?

Regards

Anann

Yeah, but I don't want any routing, just a straight line from where I am to where I wanna go.

On my "old" GPSMap 60 I would select a waypoint to go to and then choose "not via roads".

I would expect that the settings I used on the Oregon 650 would have the same effect.

Found the video about the quality of the screen and the device, impressive to see! :)

Maybe I don't need my screen protector after all.

I regret not putting one on my screen right away. I was waiting for Zagg to come out with one specifically sized for the 650t screen and then discovered a scratch across the screen yesterday. unsure.gif

Wondering when the next update will come out. Getting really tired of coming home and finding I missed a bunch of caches with no defined size.

Also, they could stand to move some of these Reset to Defaults to a page that requires more work to get to. The confounded sensitive screen is picking up touch from The Bob knows where and I keep looking at it and find it reseting, changing settings, goofing off a long way away from the map. I really wish I could tap the user key and lock the screen, tap twice and unlock it.

I really wish I could tap the user key and lock the screen, tap twice and unlock it.

Well, I don't think you can lock the screen, but you can turn it off. I've added that functionality to the master key: double-push and it turns of, one push and it's back on.

Works for me.

Regards

Anann

Long-time cachers, long-time Garmin users here but new to the Oregon series, or in fact any of these new-fangled "can display a map" GPSr units!

Couple of questions. I have had a search around first, but couldn't find anything relevant; hope someone can offer advice.

1. We want to follow the advice of storing the .GPX files on the SD card rather than on the unit itself, due to it seemingly being a way to conquer annoying waypoint indexing problems and so-on, but we have a concern. The SD card in our unit is the one with our rather expensive GB Ordnance Survey map on. There's plenty of room left for hundreds of geocache files but we don't want to endanger the map files themselves. Are we definitely OK to move the .GPX files to this volume rather than placing them in the GARMIN/GPX folder on the unit?

2. With that in mind, is it possible to copy the map files to the unit instead so that they are safely off the card? If not, is it OK to back these files up on my iMac so that, if lost, we can simply copy them back onto the unit's SD card?

(Can you tell I work in IT database security and am a little paranoid?)

3. Has anyone experienced the Oregon only showing nearby caches, even with no filters set? We have four pocket queries that run every week for about 400 GCs that are within a ten mile radius of home. This week I also added a PQ for our imminent holiday about 150 miles from home. All this week's .GPX files have been copied successfully to the Oregon, everything shows up in the Waypoints section and even on the map if we pan over to the remote location, but the actual "Geocaching" button only seems to show targets that are less than ten miles from home.

Any and all comment would be appreciated - there's a good chance that I'm (Mark) just confused and wrong but we can't let Nicola know that, can we? :)

Edited by EMarkM

I really wish I could tap the user key and lock the screen, tap twice and unlock it.

Well, I don't think you can lock the screen, but you can turn it off. I've added that functionality to the master key: double-push and it turns of, one push and it's back on.

Works for me.

Regards

Anann

Guys, maybe I'm wrong about what you're getting at, but you can certainly lock the screen, in the same way that you can with a Nokia phone handset.

I have configured our buttons so that a single tap of the Power key just turns the screen off, yes, but double-clicking it takes us to the System Status page (you have to have this as either your single- or double-click on this button IIRC) and, once you're there, there is a little padlock button that leaves the screen on but locks it to prevent accidental gestures having an effect.

Any use?

Edited by EMarkM

3. Has anyone experienced the Oregon only showing nearby caches, even with no filters set? We have four pocket queries that run every week for about 400 GCs that are within a ten mile radius of home. This week I also added a PQ for our imminent holiday about 150 miles from home. All this week's .GPX files have been copied successfully to the Oregon, everything shows up in the Waypoints section and even on the map if we pan over to the remote location, but the actual "Geocaching" button only seems to show targets that are less than ten miles from home.

I loaded a PQ for an area 1000 miles away and the caches would not show up on the geocache list (very frustrating). I could pan over on the map and they were showing on the map where I could click on them and open the geocaches that way. I read somewhere that the list only shows caches that are 50 miles away or less. Does anyone know a way to turn that "feature" off?

If you REALLY are in IT this is about your worst nightmare.

If you bought the 'GB Ordnance Survey' on Sd you better be very careful, the map is linked to the SD id, a copy won't work, why don't you try, writing on is will be possible and you could put caches on it, but why should you, they take little space.

In normal situations the Gps should read only on your SD, since the software is still a bit weird you don't know exactly.

1. If you have a preprogrammed map card, you cannot put GPX files on it.

2. If the map is a locked map, it can't be moved. You need to see if it is locked or not.

3. The default search is by nearest which limits to the closest 50 items with 100 miles. Change to search "by name" to see them.

I loaded a PQ for an area 1000 miles away and the caches would not show up on the geocache list (very frustrating). I could pan over on the map and they were showing on the map where I could click on them and open the geocaches that way. I read somewhere that the list only shows caches that are 50 miles away or less. Does anyone know a way to turn that "feature" off?

Thanks very much for your quick reply. As long as other users are seeing the same thing, I'm not too worried. We wouldn't want to use the Geocaching button itself until we were fairly near GZ anyway, but it is annoying that this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

Anyway, thanks again.