New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

I do have one and it does work, but the roller on top touches the screen.

Can a dremel tool fix it? Does the roller cause the device to malfunction? I was really hoping to reuse the two I have instead of buying two more. bummer

Edited by DowneasTTer

Well I did it. I broke down and just purchased a 600. I had ordered a 650T from L L Bean back on 30 Jan. Every couple of weeks I have received email updates with shipping date delays. These emails needed to be read carefully as sometimes you needed to log on to your account and accept the new shipping date and other times you didn't. Well three days ago I received an email stating that shipping date was now going to be June 30th and if that was acceptable I didn't need to do anything. I let it go. Though not too happy about it because by June I will be in my summer home where I would now have to pay sales tax (there is a store in the state). Yes I know I'm cheap <_< . Well today I checked my account and it shows that the order was processed. :lol: So I check the details..... bummer they canceled my order. So on the phone I went. I decided to not wait any longer and bought the 600. They list it at $399. but I had ordered the 650t during a 15% sale ...... Beans honored that (-$59.85), plus I had a $10 promo card expiring today, plus for good faith they waived the express shipping charge. So my new 600 should be here sometime on Weds. And the best part is it will cost me only $329.15 a whole lot less than the 650t would have cost me.

Nice! And, LL Bean will take it back at any time for any reason...like when the Oregon 1000 comes out in a few years... :laughing:

By that time the new model is on the market. ;-)

But seriously, I think it might have to do with the new Montana, in that segment there will be place for only one model.

Or they are just 'forcing' people to buy the 600, because we like to have a new model for this summer.

Really?? You own a Garmin handheld in the past 5 years? 6xx software is refined and already has fewer bugs than some models on the market for years now.

Well I bought my Oregon 400t in September 2009, when it had been out for about a year, and got used to adding bug fixes until Garmin gave up on it in May 2011!

I prefer the sound of the 650 to the 600, and won't bother with the Topo map models this time, so hopefully will be ready to splash out by the summer. :)

Chris

I agree with forgetting the Topo Maps as you can get them free with a little effort, and there's some really nice routable OSM maps that get updated on a monthly basis as well. The base maps shipped on the unit are total crap, but once you install a uSD card and download some good maps then you're set. I'm using the OSM Maps of North America from here http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Maps - it's a 2.5GB download and takes up about 3.6GB of a uSD card - but it's really quality maps.

I've only used it to go around and check a couple of my caches so far, but I've uploaded 3 GPX files w/ 10K+ caches in each - no problems. I generated a single GZZ of 30K+ waypoints using GSAK macro. No problem. I've added multiple .ggz files. No problem.

How do you download 30,000 geocaches? I'm puzzled as a pocket query is limited to 1000.are you generating 30 pocket queries at a time ?

Thanks

Nick

How do you download 30,000 geocaches? I'm puzzled as a pocket query is limited to 1000.are you generating 30 pocket queries at a time ?

Thanks

Nick

Im pretty sure they mean they have a database of that many, not that they are downloading that many. I know my GSAK GGZ file contains over 60,000 as of today.

I think the most you can actually download in a single day in the 5 full PQ's of 5,000 and using the live api another 6,000. So 11,000 caches a day if you work it right.

-J

I just got my 600 last week and took it caching. It worked great, easy to follow, etc. I also have the Colorado 300 and the Oregeon 550 and I like the 600 the best for caching so far. My only complaint is that it freezes up! You have to pull the batteries to make it shut off and they behave again. I spoke with Garmin this morning and they said this is the first time they have heard of this. They offered to replace my unit if it does it again. I had the same issue in the beginning with my Colorado, and eventally they had a firmware update that fixed it. Our local GPS store here said that the 650's are delayed as they are having issues with the camera....

Well the 600 is here. I got it all set up even with my heart rate strap and tempe for tomorrow's ride. There has been some discussion here about the Ram mount. I have two on my bikes for the Oregon 400-500 series. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy or wait for Ram to make a mount for the 600. Looks like I'm save myself some coin. As "The Vinnes" stated the roller does touch the screen. But, above the active part and by no means in the way. I watching a few vids on the web about how tough the glass is I don't think the roller will cause any damage. The unit fits well and is easy to remove (a little harder than the 550t). Here are a coupe of photos I took of the 600 in the Ram mount. Sorry I just took them with the bikes on the rack in my garage. For some reason I wasn't able to embed the photos in this message. But the following links do work.

My link

side view showing the roller.

My link

Hope this helps.

As far as the RAM Mounts go, their adjustable arms/suction cups/etc. are great but I personally have never liked any of their cradles for the various Garmin units I have owned. The cradles are generally bulky and difficult to use. The RAM cradle for my GPSMAP 62s was huge and completely useless because when it was on the mount I could not get the rubber cover open to connect the power cord.

The newer Garmin handheld GPS units all have a nice rear slide mount system and why RAM has not taken advantage of it, who knows. With that said, it is possible to adapt a Garmin slide mount cradle to a RAM Mount using the "RAM Mount Garmin Cradle Converter" (RAM-HOL-GA11U) that has been around since the early days of the GPSMAP 60. It's a bit expensive to buy all the necessary components but it's worth it IMO and it should work great with the new Oregon. The setup (pictured below) can be assembled from these components:

RAM

RAP-B-166U (or similar) RAM Mount Diamond Plate Suction Mount

RAM-HOL-GA11U RAM Mount Garmin Cradle Converter

Garmin

Garmin 010-11031-00 Marine Mount

f954f052-9796-4cd4-a9cb-330933c5ef7b.jpg

2b391ab3-4bf8-410c-a4d4-acfd9a458c33.jpg

Edited by RocketMan

Ok, So I guess I might have found a bug. Today was the third day I have used the 600 cycling. No problems for Friday or Saturday. Today however, I had a weird thing happen. My wife and I were riding on the Nature Coast Trail from Chiefland, FL to Old Town. Most of this trip is North. I am using the OSM mapset for the USA. I addition to the roads it has rail trails as well. On the 16.5 mile out from Chiefland the track was right on the money. However, on the way back I noticed that at some point the track was at least 450 ft from the trail. This continued for a while. At my next stop I restarted the Oregon and all was well. So I figured there might have been a clitch with map and all was well with the data. However, when I imported the track to Garmin Connect It appears just like it appeared on the unit. you can see where it starts to go off map and then when I restarted the 600 and all was well for the remaining part of the ride. During the time the track was off, the map seemed to have shifted to the left on the 600 with the track right in the center of the screen. Any ideas?

btw for some reason I can't seem to embed any photos... but here is a link to the Garmin Connect map.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=15564

Edited by DowneasTTer

Has anyone noticed Not Chosen cache size caches not showing on the map?

They show in a search, but not on the map display.

Using a 600 with latest release of firmware.

BTW, they will show if you search and select them, so long as there's a line pointing to the destination of the cache.

On my 600 the "not chosen" size caches are displayed on the map with the green geocache symbol however when entering name for search it indicates: no results found - try adjusting search parameters.

However, on the way back I noticed that at some point the track was at least 450 ft from the trail.

This sounds like a potential "drifting" issue. I would email OregonBeta@garmin.com. Send them your tracklog or link to the connect map and explain to them what happened.

I've been laying 100's of miles of tracklog and have never experienced drifting other than that expected when walking close to a tall building (signal bounce). It could be an anomaly but still best to email garmin at OregonBeta@garmin.com.

Edited by yogazoo

On that stretch you gps might have been partially covered. On that side the track goes off the 'track'.

I don't see any high rise, only trees, if you rode very near to the trees the deviation is very goo possible.

Remember you cover the gps also most of the time with your body.

Edited by splashy

@ jagmagana, Did not see an answer to your question...resize your template to 97% to avoid edges overhanging bevel in screen. 97% work great. Thanks for the template.

Link to template (pdf) to build your own screen protector for Oregon 6xx

Please, somebody with this gps can cut the template and check if is OK?

Remember not resize the image. The total height of left image must be 11.4 cm.

Thanks.

https://mega.co.nz/#...oxCrDWyKKbVXJdA

Judging by the number of queries and bugs being reported on the Oregon 600 Wiki, I'm quite glad we're not getting them yet!

Really?? You own a Garmin handheld in the past 5 years? 6xx software is refined and already has fewer bugs than some models on the market for years now.

And if you're looking for objective reviews you're in the right place. There aren't too many suck-up fanboys around here, mostly grumpy old Garmin users just waiting to bash them over the head at any sign of deficiency. :)

My 600 is proving a worthy replacement for my 60CSx. The only issue I have had is it locked up on me when I tried to access a camera related setting...But other than that the firmware is very stable for a new device.

Garmins OS Discoverer mapping still isn't as sharp as the OS mapping on a smartphone using Viewranger but the screen is very readable in bright sunlight so I can forgive them for that.

I just got my 600 last week and took it caching. It worked great, easy to follow, etc. I also have the Colorado 300 and the Oregeon 550 and I like the 600 the best for caching so far. My only complaint is that it freezes up! You have to pull the batteries to make it shut off and they behave again. I spoke with Garmin this morning and they said this is the first time they have heard of this. They offered to replace my unit if it does it again. I had the same issue in the beginning with my Colorado, and eventally they had a firmware update that fixed it. Our local GPS store here said that the 650's are delayed as they are having issues with the camera....

I had the same "freezing" issue occur to my 600T today while Geocaching. Just like you, I had to pull the batteries to reset it.

I had the same "freezing" issue occur to my 600T today while Geocaching. Just like you, I had to pull the batteries to reset it.

Do you have the latest version of the firmware installed (v2.60)?

Same has happened on my 600. Just random freezes. It seemed to do it most with dying alkaline batteries. I do have the latest firmware and a simple battery pull fixes it.

Remember, for all those who experienced an unexpected shutdown or hang-up. The "system.xml" file found in the Garmin folder on your units internal memory should be emailed to OregonBeta@garmin.com. This file contains important information regarding the crash that Garmin software engineers can use to solve the issue(s).

Yes - my 600T came with 2.60 installed.

I finally got tired of waiting for the 650t so, after re-evaluating my needs and available free maps, used an REI dividend to grab the 600. So far, so good, although I haven't had time to really put it through its paces.

I did want to mention that it does fit in my earlier Oregon's RAM mount darn near perfectly but, as was discussed earlier, the mount does not touch the glass of the GPS. I really played with it and tried to make it touch (especially the roller at the top), but there was never any contact, and I would expect there shouldn't be with normal use.

Also, thanks to jagmagana :wub: for those templates. I was just getting ready to attack some spare screen protectors with the scissors and a rough pattern I had yet to make. :laughing:

Has anyone noticed Not Chosen cache size caches not showing on the map?

They show in a search, but not on the map display.

Using a 600 with latest release of firmware.

BTW, they will show if you search and select them, so long as there's a line pointing to the destination of the cache.

On my 600 the "not chosen" size caches are displayed on the map with the green geocache symbol however when entering name for search it indicates: no results found - try adjusting search parameters.

Note in my email (after returning from GWXI) What I reported here has been confirmed by Garmin as a bug - it was seriously not fun going around Georgia and Florida not seeing Not Chosen size caches on the map display as this covers a lot of Virtuals and Earthcaches.

Geowoodstock XI is over, I've got > 75 caches found on the unit and it's time for an updated review.

Pros:

- Boots up much faster than previous generations

- Faster Sat lock times

- UI much more intuitive than previous generations

- Nice cache filtering features - Very good UI with this.

- Nice touch screen that's on par with mid level smartphones

- Pin on screen is much more precious, easy to move to a cache (or move map under cache w/ fast redraw capability of screen.)

- Screen is a lot more visible in direct sunlight EDIT: Completely visible with 0 backlighting in direct sunlight – no glare off the screen – like reading paper.

- Ability to rotate screen (or lock it to one orientation depending on preference - I locked my to standard orientation - I do this with my smartphone too while caching.)

- Ability to hold a lot of very large GPX or GGZ files, and GGZ file supporting HUGE quantities of caches. (Waiting on people to start hosting large GGZ's of their caching area's) I had ~30K caches in my unit while going to Geowoodstock and it handled them like a champ.

Added 5/28/13:

- Accuracy – See more below – Very nice accuracy based on field testing of close to 100 caches in 5 states.

- Compass – A very stable compass that doesn’t seem to get upset as you’re handling the unit – Also seemed to still be perfectly accurate after a battery change.

Cons:

- Screen resolutions is still a dismal 240x400 (480x800 is considered subpar for a smart phone these days, at least get to subpar level if you're going to support camera functionality) EDIT 5/28/13 – After consideration of this being a reflective display that doesn’t require any backlighting when used out in the sun, the resolution limitation may have more to do with the screen technology used. I have no evidence for this. That said if this is true, then it would be a more than fair trade off for anyone who wants this and doesn’t care for the camera – which would include myself.

- Screen size is still very small - there's enough space to get to a small smart phone screen size (iPhone size.) This can be done while keeping it a ruggedized design and should be done.

- Very poor quality basemaps shipped on the units. This can be rectified by getting free offline OSM maps (and other sources) but this isn't something everyone knows to do and can be a daunting task for others.

- Loss of Wherigo functionality - Not too big of an issue as most cachers have smartphones and can use the App. The stability of Wherigo SW is shaky and often frustrating no matter what tool you're using - having more than one Wherigo cartridge player is often nice to have.

- Orientation of the mini-B USB plug. The rotated the orientation 90degs such that you need to pull the carabineer clip off in order to plug in the mini-B USB plug. Oversight during testing? Maybe they didn't have people using the clip who also needed to connect to the unit. Moving it 2-3mm south of it's current location or orienting it the same way it was on the previous generations and this wouldn't have been a problem.

Meh's (this is personal opinion) :

- Optional 8G pixel camera (650 and 650t only) - Something most of us don't need or want as we all have smart phones, most with superior camera capabilities and Geotagging supported. Is it worth an extra $80 - Not in my opinion, but others may like this.

EDIT: I talked to a couple people at Geowoodstock that felt this most definitely work the extra $80 as they don’t own a smartphone, and would like to avoid carrying another device for pictures.

- Expensive Rechargeable battery that's effectively two AA's taped together to be able to push a button to enable charging. Personally this adds little to no value for me. I use a pair of AA's that tested to 2600mAH that I could go over a weekend of caching w/o coming close to running down, but always carry two pair of eneloop AA's with me as backups for me, and anyone who may end up caching with me. I mean $26 for a pair of NiMH AA's taped together listed at 2000mAH, who are you kidding. That's the retail price for a 4 pack 2000mAHr Eneloop's. I say get some tape and have fun if you really want this feature (Note that I have not tried this, nor will I warranty any damage resulting from doing this, but I suspect it will work just fine - I will try it out after I get back from Geowoodstock.)

Updates: 5/28/13

Battery Life – Surprisingly good. I used a pair of 2600mAH NiMH AA’s that I’ve had for a long time. First used them on Friday 5/17 when I bought the unit, took them to Geowoodstock XI (trip started in Houston, TX Wed Morning 5/22 – at one point left it on for 4hrs of driving w/o realizing it was on, cached in New Orleans, LA that evening. Cached some more (but sparingly) on the way over and down to Lakeland on Thursday. Hit three events, did a number of caches on Friday, when to Geowoodstock on Saturday, did 9 cache types (7 of them at Geowoodstock – the Wherigo was done on the phone but the Garmin was live this during this.) And the batteries finally ran down on Saturday Evening while going to the Almost Midnight Madness event. At this point I popped in a spare set of Eneloops for the rest of the trip. Overall very impressed with the battery usage. Part of this probably has to do with the fact that I had the backlighting turn down to the lowest setting much of the time. The reason for this is the display technology used, It is a reflective display technology. In the dark you use the backlighting of the GPSr itself, but when out in the sun, this isn’t required, actually when in sunlight it’s like looking at a piece of paper.

Accuracy Update: There have been some grumblings on the forums regarding the reported accuracy (what the unit reports as its accuracy.) This number as any experienced user will tell you can be wrong. For me it was reporting usually around 30’ or more for the Error. But it was consistently right on top of the cache (well within a respectable 10’ which is reasonable for the cache placement itself.) It never led me astray, and I actually experienced significantly less overshoot than I would have with my Oregon 400t. Overshoot in this case is when your GPS takes you beyond GZ while it’s catching up to where your current location actually is. As far as I’m concerned the ‘Error’ reported by the unit is a case of Garmin being cautious as to the reporting. I’d expect this to be updated in future FW revisions. That said, I’ve only seen this displayed when it the ‘Satellite’ info page, so it should scare the typical cacher while hunting for a cache.

No rain so I haven’t tested the screen when it’s wet, but sweaty fingers didn’t seem to give it any problems. The three smart phones I’ve used have become progressively better at being able to handle rainy conditions and they screen still work until it got to some level of saturation. Same was true of my Oregon 400t touch screen. We’ll have to test this another day on the Garmin 600.

Marking caches as found and adding comments was quick and easy – Much more intuitive. I haven’t tried all the logging features but what I tried was very easy to use. I was able to quickly mark done/log/go to next cache. I did not dump or upload logs from the unit as I tend to log from the field on my phone, or at a minimum mark it as saved on the phones app and go through the history to log. That said, this is a feature I will do a bit more testing on and report back.

Chirp: Enabling Chirp was put in the ‘Geocaching’ link in setup, making it quick to find and enable (and disable as well as there was a cacher walking around Geowoodstock with a chirp in his pocket – great way to introduce yourself, but after the 3rd time walking by it was time to turn it off.) I did a chirp based cache at Geowoodstock and Met another cacher because of it. This was a much more positive experience than what I’ve experienced in the past with Chirps, but that may be more do to relatively fresh batteries in the Chirp itself. Hard to say for certain.

Cool feature: When in map mode when in Geocaching Profile, the top of the screen lists the closest cache (this can be easily ‘rolled up’ by clicking a small arrow below it, and ‘rolled down’ again by clicking the arrow so it’s not allows consuming map real estate.) I didn’t notice this at first, but was riding down the road (I wasn’t drivingJ) I noticed it changing between caches. This is a pretty nice feature to have.

Compass performed admirably, much better than my Garmin 400t, and slightly better than my Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 perform. It was very stable while finding caches, and didn’t lead you off in the wrong direction before you realize that the path being drawn on the screen is not the direction you’re wanting to go, which would happen to me with the Oregon 400t a bit too frequently.

Marking and editing waypoints: On the Oregon 400t, this seemed like a chore, and I always had the ‘Fat Thumb’ issues, and is the big reason why I’d never edit names on them. On the 600, it was much closer to an experience of adding and editing a waypoint in your favorite geocaching app.

Edited by TAZ427

"- Expensive Rechargeable battery that's effectively two AA's taped together to be able to push a button to enable charging. Personally this adds little to no value for me. I use a pair of AA's that tested to 2600mAH that I could go over a weekend of caching w/o coming close to running down, but always carry two pair of eneloop AA's with me as backups for me, and anyone who may end up caching with me. I mean $26 for a pair of NiMH AA's taped together listed at 2000mAH, who are you kidding."

Very nice field report.

24g5e8p.png

300w8as.png

People complain about compass, there is even a report sent to Garmin:

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/share/view/62612048

Can Ya confirm/neglect that Oregon 600 is more vurnerable to GPS drifts than Oregon 400t (former generation)?

How to explain GPS drifts reported in wikispaces?

I personally have yet to observe the compass sticking on it. It was a problem that i had on the 400t.

I have also not noted any GPS drift, but I never noticed it on 400t either.

I have been specifically looking for both as they had been reported, but I haven't not observed them myself.

People complain about compass, there is even a report sent to Garmin:

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/share/view/62612048

Can Ya confirm/neglect that Oregon 600 is more vurnerable to GPS drifts than Oregon 400t (former generation)?

How to explain GPS drifts reported in wikispaces?

I find the compass in GPSr units is only suitable for a general direction.

If you want some precise degrees, set a point and walk about 50 or more feet from it, the bearing back to that point will give you a much better idea of what is 127 degrees.

Alternatively, use an old school compass. They are pretty tough to beat. When I'm out benchmarking, looking for reference marks or found a reference mark, but cant find the triangulation disc, I rely on a Silva pocket compass. Also use one with my telescope as Polar Alignment requires getting pretty close to the direction of Polaris before assembling 80+ lbs of gear on the mount.

Oregon 600 series: The New Geomate Sr!

Received an email from Garmin stating that soon the Oregon 600 Series will come preloaded with OC listings!

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Not.

Assuming this comes in the form of one of their fancy ggz files, that's the first thing I'll delete from my hopefully-soon-to-arrive 650 if it's included with my unit. That should save some space I'll be able to use for real geocaches.

--Larry

...soon the Oregon 600 Series will come preloaded with OC listings...
...that's the first thing I'll delete from my hopefully-soon-to-arrive 650 if it's included with my unit. That should save some space...

Oh come now, how much space could the complete OC database take up? :lol:

Edited by user13371

Can a Garmin genuine pair of rechargeable batteries be charged through the USB cable connected to a PC, or must one also purchase an AC adapter for charging to occur on the Oregon 600?

It will recharge them when connected to a PC.

Can a Garmin genuine pair of rechargeable batteries be charged through the USB cable connected to a PC, or must one also purchase an AC adapter for charging to occur on the Oregon 600?

As far as I'm aware, the power input is the same whether it comes from a USB cable, an AC adapter, or a car adapter. I'm counting on that, actually; I'm looking forward to recharging the batteries in the car as I drive between cache sites.

--Larry

As far as I'm aware, the power input is the same whether it comes from a USB cable, an AC adapter, or a car adapter. I'm counting on that, actually; I'm looking forward to recharging the batteries in the car as I drive between cache sites.

--Larry

Yep, it charges it in the car between caches.

--Larry

Yep, it charges it in the car between caches.

That is a nice bonus too. Great.

Does anyone know yet if it's safe to use other rechargeable batteries as an alternative to Garmin's overpriced taped together double AA's? In other words would it be safe to run down to Radio Shack and try to snag a pair for 10 bucks and tape them together myself with electrical tape if I have to, in order to trip the internal charging contact in the Oregon 600?

an other crash here while beeing on a geocaching tour with Oregon 600 and 2.70.

I have put the oregon in my pocket without lovking the screen. After i take it out the touchscreen didn't work. I have to remove the batteries . he power button didn't work...

a very strange behaviour after removing the batteries. The screen shows the gecaching screen for a few seconds...

Have a look at the video. It was the second time i have recognized this error with 2.70....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4tu3otopdkshaz/2013-06-02%2018.11.26.mp4

Watch the movie...

an other crash here while beeing on a geocaching tour with Oregon 600 and 2.70.

I have put the oregon in my pocket without lovking the screen. After i take it out the touchscreen didn't work. I have to remove the batteries . he power button didn't work...

a very strange behaviour after removing the batteries. The screen shows the gecaching screen for a few seconds...

Have a look at the video. It was the second time i have recognized this error with 2.70....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4tu3otopdkshaz/2013-06-02%2018.11.26.mp4

Watch the movie...

Mine locked up today too while geocaching. My son was holding it at the time, so I'm not sure what happened before it locked up. This the 3d lock up while running 2.6 - when did they release 2.7??

My 600 is proving a worthy replacement for my 60CSx. The only issue I have had is it locked up on me when I tried to access a camera related setting...But other than that the firmware is very stable for a new device.

Good to know as I have placed an order today for the Oregon 600. For Australian readers I got mine from Highly Tuned Athletes for AU$AU410 delivered via Express Post.

I have also gone with the bike mount so I can use it on my bike with the sensors/HRM I currently use with my Garmin Edge 810.

Andrew