New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

I just wrote; (should be 10.000 trackpoint btw)

195 KB 2.5 hours, so unless you are tracking 24/7, you don't fill it up and even then, it takes you a long time.

So am I getting this correct? 10,000 points per track and you can store 200 tracks? If you record say 1 second that would take roughly 2.8 hrs to fill 10,000 points, this will close and you'll start a new track automatically? You get 200 tracks so 2.8 hrs(to fill a track) * 200 would give you around 560hrs or 23.3 days of constant use before you reach your limit?

No reason to track every second, unless you're a bee.

My setting tracks less often when on a straight line and more often in a curve.

And why would you want to track 24/7, unless you use it as a tracker (not talking about the supply problem then)

But if so you better buy a tracker, smaller, cheaper and does the same tracking.

I have no need to track every second continuously. I was just making sure I had the numbers right and how it functions. I just received my Oregon 600 in the mail today. Pretty excited about it. It's a wonderful step up from my iPhone4 of crappy battery life, and poor reception compared to the 600. PQ's, and Gaia GPS worked ok for a short time.

It's a beautiful gps, <_< <_< <_<

endless possibilities, so a lot to find out.

So far so good. Only shut off on me once after the firmware update. I went into photo viewer and it shut off. Fired it back up, went into it again and it worked fine, so who knows what caused the hiccup. Now to just get a little better at putting trails into the device either via custom maps from trail maps and GE or finding(rarely) gpx files online.

So...

What is the Bluetooth link to mobile basecamp like, what does it do, and does it have any benefits ? I can't find any answers on this feature yet, so hopefully someone here can help.

Also how do you physically put thousands and thousands of geocaches on, when you can only get 1000 in a pocket query. ( without using gsak, as I have a mac)

Thanks

Nick

Also how do you physically put thousands and thousands of geocaches on, when you can only get 1000 in a pocket query. ( without using gsak, as I have a mac)

Thanks

Nick

Well I expect you will be able to store several PQs (with different names) in the GPSr... but Garmin's marketing people will be selling this as a reason for you to use their site of course. IF that actually has any caches anywhere near where you live of course!

Chris

Thanks

Nick

Well I expect you will be able to store several PQs (with different names) in the GPSr... but Garmin's marketing people will be selling this as a reason for you to use their site of course. IF that actually has any caches anywhere near where you live of course!

Chris

That's my problem.

In the sw of England there are say 100 as opposed to 1000's from geocaching.com !

And why would you want to track 24/7, unless you use it as a tracker (not talking about the supply problem then)

But if so you better buy a tracker, smaller, cheaper and does the same tracking.

Buddy,

There's a reason why that feature is available. No, I'm not tracking or stalking anybody. You remind me of another member of this forum who consistently give that advice even when someone tells you they have a reason to do so. Repeating it won't help because I want to use that feature. Stop telling people what they don't want to hear. You can assert your position once and that's enough.

I have no need to track every second continuously. I was just making sure I had the numbers right and how it functions. I just received my Oregon 600 in the mail today. Pretty excited about it. It's a wonderful step up from my iPhone4 of crappy battery life, and poor reception compared to the 600. PQ's, and Gaia GPS worked ok for a short time.

I would like to know too if you got the math right. I'm confused now and I think there's some incorrect information being posted in this thread. So if the maximum number of tracks that can be stored is 200, then clearly not all 1.5GB of space will be used. Heck, even if 1GB is available, 200 tracks with track points recorded at a 1 second interval will not be anywhere close to utilizing all of that storage space. So will the Oregon 600 start deleting track points once I have accumulated over 200 tracks?

Buddy,

There's a reason why that feature is available. No, I'm not tracking or stalking anybody. You remind me of another member of this forum who consistently give that advice even when someone tells you they have a reason to do so. Repeating it won't help because I want to use that feature. Stop telling people what they don't want to hear. You can assert your position once and that's enough.

Believe me, if you are going to use the tracklog that way, you will understand in the end what I mean and why I say this. But if you want to use it that way, whatever.

I'm not trying to let you do anything btw. Simply explaining the options.

Buddy,

Believe me, if you are going to use the tracklog that way, you will understand in the end what I mean and why I say this. But if you want to use it that way, whatever.

I'm not trying to let you do anything btw. Simply explaining the options.

Then why don't you elaborate then? All you're doing is make a general statement and I don't see any compelling reasons to go with your method especially when my goal is to geotag my photos. I want an as accurate of a sync as I can. Why should I sacrifice a bit of accuracy for the sake of a smaller GPX file? Again, you're not providing any compelling reasons. Last I checked, storage space is extremely cheap these days.

Edited by Sgt_Strider

A fixed track point interval is useful for any kind of post processing. Waypoint averaging and track smoothing benefit from lots of data. And some post-processing activities (like geotagging images) require track-points to be precisely correlated to a specific time.

This is the default "automatic" setting on many handheld units and is efficient in processor usage and storage. True that most people never need to change it, but see above -- some will.

Edited by user13371

Sure because the Gpsr camera is not the top of the line. <_<

Just curious, how do you get the waypoint coordinates in the picture?

I just mark a way point of where the picture was taken. When I pull everything into BaseCamp I know which photo goes where. Kind of a PITA but not that difficult. But if you really wanted to add lat/long and altitude to a photo you can edit the exif data with 3rd party programs. Or just spend the extra money and get a 650 B)

I just mark a way point of where the picture was taken. When I pull everything into BaseCamp I know which photo goes where. Kind of a PITA but not that difficult. But if you really wanted to add lat/long and altitude to a photo you can edit the exif data with 3rd party programs. Or just spend the extra money and get a 650 B)

Do you realize Basecamp will geotag the photos automatically based on your tracklog?

Do you realize Basecamp will geotag the photos automatically based on your tracklog?

Yes, That's why I mark a point so I know where the correct photo goes along my track log. I don't use the 3rd party programs to edit exif data on the photos it was merely another suggestion to adding lat/long/alt to a photo.

Sure because the Gpsr camera is not the top of the line. <_<

Just curious, how do you get the waypoint coordinates in the picture?

A technique I've used is the track data itself. At least with the Mac version of Basecamp, you can readjust the camera's offset multiple times before writing out the EXIF data. So even if you forget to sync the camera, you can actually use your whole set of photos to tweak and then apply the location data in one go.

But I'm with Team-Facetious, I have a DSLR and a mirrorless camera with an APS-C sized sensor in it. Both of these stomp all over the sensors used in the phones and GPSr devices floating around. One is about 5-7 years old at this point, and still beats my smartphone in picture quality. For those that prefer the convenience, or want a photographic record more than anything else, sure, use a sensor in your GPSr. But I can compose shots that the 650 could only dream of, and get a better photo than the 650 could ever provide. I'll save my money and use my mirrorless on hikes mounted on a monopod/hiking pole.

(Ugh, the problem of composing a post over a long period of time in bursts and watching folks blast by you in the conversation... whoops)

Edited by Kolenka

If it's for geotagging, maybe you better buy a Gpsr with camera or a camera with Gpsr, syncronizing the camera with the Gpsr every time again is a drag.

Honestly, I just lost respect for you after you made that last post.

:):)

Doesn]t matter, as long as we find a good solution for the problems.

Funny thing is when I had a camera without a gpsr I wanted to geotag, now that i have some camera's with gpsr I never use it.

@Kolenka

I know about the geotagging programs that can be time adjusted, but you need to know the time difference between track and photo and in this case the TS want to know exactly on the second.

I use gpicsync for geotagging all my photos, it's awesome, fast, easy to use and even does raw files.

Do *not* get a camera with built-in GPS. I tried few and they are very slow to obtain gps fix which renders them almost useless. They also eat up batteries and if you already own a nice SLR it would most likely be a downgrade in picture quality as well.

Edited by gulo

I know about the geotagging programs that can be time adjusted, but you need to know the time difference between track and photo and in this case the TS want to know exactly on the second.

Which is why I do it in Basecamp. I can see where on my track it placed the photos before I "save" the final settings, and I can adjust the offset as I go. That combined with a couple memorable features along the track that are easy to place (a waterfall for example) mean I can do an entire set of pictures fairly quickly. At least it works this way with the Mac app, I haven't even tried the geotagging feature in Basecamp on Windows.

When doing these adjustments, the visual feedback is crucial, and saves a ton of time finding the correct offset to use. I wouldn't be geo-tagging at all if it wasn't possible to get this feedback on the track itself.

This technique can probably be made even better using the waypoint technique: Set one waypoint for one of your photos along the track. When geotagging the whole set, align that one photo to match the waypoint along the track, and watch as the rest of the photos along the track get geotagged correctly for you.

I use gpicsync for geotagging all my photos, it's awesome, fast, easy to use and even does raw files.

I'll have to take a look at that one too, since it claims to handle RAWs.

Edited by Kolenka

Hi

Is oregon 600 supposed to indicate the batteries are fully charged if you are using Garmin rechargeable pack ?

Mine seems to be flashing charging light on and on....

I was little upset because I took it for my first bike ride today and it went from full charge to 2 bars in less than 15 minutes, what the heck?

Thanks

Nick

Chris

That's my problem.

In the sw of England there are say 100 as opposed to 1000's from geocaching.com !

Know one has answered my queries so i'll try again.

Please can someone tell me how do you physically download and load up tens of thousands of geocaches onto the 600, when you can only get 1000 in a pocket query. I can't believe that you have to make 100 pocket queries to get the 100,000 loaded ???? ( and do this every week !!!!)

Chris above suggested he used Opencaching.com but on the basis that we are all chatting on Geocaching.com's forum i assume that you all use this like me.

i've never used Opencaching because its useless in the UK. So how's it done.

PS i cant use GSAK as it doesnt work on a mac.

thanks in advance.

Nick

So...

What is the Bluetooth link to mobile basecamp like, what does it do, and does it have any benefits ? I can't find any answers on this feature yet, so hopefully someone here can help.

Thanks

Nick

So...

Thanks

Nick

I would like to know too.

If the current tracklog full it goes to archiv folder and counts not the 200 Limit for Tracks. Almost infinite logging is possible until the internal memory ist full.

Sorry, for my english :(

First of all, do you actually have the Oregon 600? I emailed Garmin about this and one of the representatives said the archive folder have a limit of 2000 tracks. He did not explained what will happen for the 2001th track.

Second, I have to ask this again just because I need to be 100% sure that this is indeed how the Oregon 600 will have. So let's say I turn on the Oregon 600 and it achieved GPS connection at exactly midnight. Each tracklog can contain up to 10,000 track points. Assuming that the recording interval is at 1 second, then the 10,000 point limit will be achieved in about 2.78 hours. So what will happen to the 10,0001st track point? Will the 10,001th track point actually be the first point for the subsequent tracklog that will be created? Then it'll just rinse and repeat until I turn off the Oregon 600 right?

Third, if I were to set the option for the tracks to be archived on a daily basis, using the scenario that I had described above with a track log that is about half filled and now approaching midnight again, will the track log be stopped even though it hasn't reached a 10,000 track point limit and a new track log be created because it's now a new day?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Anyone with the Garmin Oregon 600t, can you confirm that it only has 300MB available on the device? I can easily run out of this, and I don't want to trust to using a uSD card on it. I'm thinking about going ahead and picking up a 600 instead of the 600t just because it has 1.5GB of available internal memory.

Will the 10,001th track point actually be the first point for the subsequent tracklog that will be created? Then it'll just rinse and repeat until I turn off the Oregon 600 right?

will the track log be stopped even though it hasn't reached a 10,000 track point limit and a new track log be created because it's now a new day?

Yes and Yes

If the current tracklog full it goes to archiv folder and counts not the 200 Limit for Tracks. Almost infinite logging is possible until the internal memory ist full.

Sorry, for my english :(

First of all, do you actually have the Oregon 600? I emailed Garmin about this and one of the representatives said the archive folder have a limit of 2000 tracks. He did not explained what will happen for the 2001th track.

Second, I have to ask this again just because I need to be 100% sure that this is indeed how the Oregon 600 will have. So let's say I turn on the Oregon 600 and it achieved GPS connection at exactly midnight. Each tracklog can contain up to 10,000 track points. Assuming that the recording interval is at 1 second, then the 10,000 point limit will be achieved in about 2.78 hours. So what will happen to the 10,0001st track point? Will the 10,001th track point actually be the first point for the subsequent tracklog that will be created? Then it'll just rinse and repeat until I turn off the Oregon 600 right?

Third, if I were to set the option for the tracks to be archived on a daily basis, using the scenario that I had described above with a track log that is about half filled and now approaching midnight again, will the track log be stopped even though it hasn't reached a 10,000 track point limit and a new track log be created because it's now a new day?

Thanks for the help in advance!

The T model is not worth it, because the Topo is not that good, there are free Topo maps from many places on the world that are much better.

Anyone with the Garmin Oregon 600t, can you confirm that it only has 300MB available on the device? I can easily run out of this, and I don't want to trust to using a uSD card on it. I'm thinking about going ahead and picking up a 600 instead of the 600t just because it has 1.5GB of available internal memory.

Why would you not trust a micro sdcard. They work fine and when you get the well known Garmin glitch reboot that leaves you with no caches showing on the device you can't follow the standard protocol to get them back.

According to the Garmin Oregon 6xx Wiki (at http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Hardware) the memory in the various models is as follows:

600 - 1.8GB total with 1.5GB free

600t - 3.6GB total with 809MB free

650 - 3.6GB total with 2.6GB free

650t - 7.2GB with 4GB free.

These figures are backed up by screenshots, but the t models will presumably vary a bit depending on which country's topo map is installed. The 650 models are still not released yet so the figures must be based on pre-production units.

The Oregon 6xx Wiki has a lot of other very useful answers to some of the questions being asked here, and is being created by early users.

Chris

Ok, so I just picked up a Garmin Oregon 600 over lunch.

Unless there's something I haven't done to make it show it, there's very little road detail in the default maps. I'm not talking about poor quality neighborhood detail (which my Garmin Oregon 400t has.) I'm talking about 4 lane roads missing. Almost anything below Hwy level is not there. That is not what I was expecting? Please tell me I'm doing something boneheaded on this. I like the touch screen interface, not as good as my Galaxy S4 phone, but it's decent enough.

One other, albeit minor complaint so far is that I've got to take the carabener clip off to be able to plug in the USB. The USB plug is straight in towards the back instead of up from the bottom like they used to make it. I guess this could be a bit better on sealing it, but it's annoying that I'll have to take the clip off. The only reason I ever took the clip off on my 400t was to get assess to the batteries.

If you bought a 600 and not a 600t, then there is only a worldwide basemap included.

Yes, and what I'm saying is that either mine isn't showing up the full basemap, or the basemap is significantly inferior to the quality of the basemap that is on my Garmin Oregon 400t.

Here's a pic that I took. Please note that I can zoom all the way in and no other roads show up. I've went into setup map -> advanced setting -> Detail -> Most. Nothing seems to have changed.

20130517_135919.jpg

Well Garmin is at it again.... I just checked on LL Bean and my order for a 650T has been delayed yet again. Expected shipping is now June 1. That's a big bummer for me as it means the cost of the unit is now increased by $32.94. That's due to the fact I will now need the unit shipped to my summer place in CT where Bean's has to charge the sales tax. I originally ordered on Jan 30. Oh Well I hope the wait is worth it. So far my trusty old 550t is soldiering on.

If you bought a 600 and not a 600t, then there is only a worldwide basemap included.

Yes, and what I'm saying is that either mine isn't showing up the full basemap, or the basemap is significantly inferior to the quality of the basemap that is on my Garmin Oregon 400t.

Here's a pic that I took. Please note that I can zoom all the way in and no other roads show up. I've went into setup map -> advanced setting -> Detail -> Most. Nothing seems to have changed.

20130517_135919.jpg

You don't have the basemap in your 400t, you have the 100K topo as your "basemap". Therefore, it's more detailed than the basemap you have in the 600.