New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

A bit off-topic question.

This is my first GPS that allows multiple img files with maps.

I built my own garmin map that's transparent and routable. If I enable it along with any other routable map (i.e.Topo 24k) it will not route. It used to work on my 60csx. Is that normal behavior for these newer GPS units ? Only one routable map can be enabled ?

thanks

So it turns out the Oregon 600 batterypack is 2 AA's NiMh batteries.

yeah this was always known, the only question was if using different kind of AAs might cause any issues.

I am getting my Garmin pack delivered today, $25 is pretty pricey but I got 15% off my Oregon 600 so I'm still ahead :)

650?!? Sure it was an Oregon?

I noticed the second wave of 600s have hit REI stores across the US. A few days ago only 3 showed 600 in stock, now there are pages of stores with the 600 in. Got shipping confirmation this morning mine is on the way to the REI near work. :)

Yep, sure it was!

One thing I noticed, though maybe Im just missing something silly, is when the Oregon 600 is in automative Nuvi mode it wont go into landscape.

I noticed the second wave of 600s have hit REI stores across the US. A few days ago only 3 showed 600 in stock, now there are pages of stores with the 600 in. Got shipping confirmation this morning mine is on the way to the REI near work. :)

Yep, sure it was!

One thing I noticed, though maybe Im just missing something silly, is when the Oregon 600 is in automative Nuvi mode it wont go into landscape.

It does for me

Yep, sure it was!

Is your screen orientation set to lock in portrait?

Oregon 600, Software Version 2.60

Firmware Anomaly Noted

When you activate “Where To?” you get a number of choices from which to choose. It appears however that there are a number of “Where To?” choices which are not accessible to the user.

Do this to replicate to what I am referring:

• Activate “Where To?”

• At the bottom right of the screen are 3 horizontal lines, touch those 3 lines. A dialog box appears with 2 choices, "Search Near" and “Change Item Order.” Choose “Change Item Order.”

• You will see that the choices below (there may be more) are available to be raised or lowered in the “Where To?” section, but they are not available to be chosen by the user as a “Where To?” selection:

Use Map

Trails

Tracks

Routes

Extras

Restricted Areas

Facilities

Edited by Barrikady

When you activate “Where To?” you get a number of choices from which to choose. It appears however that there are a number of “Where To?” choices which are not accessible to the user.

Barrikady, I have noted this almost immediately after receiving the unit. It has been reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com. X2 wouldn't hurt.

Cheers!

Barrikady, I have noted this almost immediately after receiving the unit. It has been reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com. X2 wouldn't hurt.

Cheers!

Yogazoo, my apology for not noticing your report. I will send my finding to OregonBeta@garmin.com.

My regards.

Mine has just arrived on Friday ( Portugal ). Finally .....

Unfortunately it had a "dead pixel",and I went to the shop to exchange it. As usual on Ciclonatur this was not an issue for them and I have a brand new one. Two in the last 24 hours.

:rolleyes:

First impressions. It is faster then my last Oregon 450t. It is more readable with direct sun light.

I have one first issue.

If I set up the power switch to take "screen pictures" all other "Configure Keys" stop to work.

Is it just me ?

Edited by caf_geo

Well I got some hands on with a first GPSr the Montana 650 and really, I didn't like it much. It really was too big to carry out in the woods. I want to be able to pocket it easier and/or clip it to me. The images online and in videos didn't do it justice. The camera was very sub-par for 5mp. Ordered an Oregon 600 from rei today. Hopefully that should do the trick before a geocaching event coming up first week of June.

Firmware Anomaly Noted

• Activate “Where To?”

• At the bottom right of the screen are 3 horizontal lines, touch those 3 lines. A dialog box appears with 2 choices, "Search Near" and “Change Item Order.” Choose “Change Item Order.”

• You will see that the choices below (there may be more) are available to be raised or lowered in the “Where To?” section, but they are not available to be chosen by the user as a “Where To?” selection:

Use Map

Trails

Tracks

Routes

Extras

Restricted Areas

Facilities

That's because they won't appear in the "Where To?" list unless any of them exist on the device. For example, "Trails" will only appear in the list if you have a map that has the "named trails" feature. Topo Deutschland 2012 PRO is an example of a map that has named trails. "Extras" shows up if you have a GPI file in the Poi folder on your device. I believe "Restricted Areas" are something you'll find on marine maps. The "Use Map" item is for when you are making a route. When you go to add a route point, you get the same list as when you select "Where To?", but it also includes "Use Map". That takes you to the map so you can select the next point that you want to put in your route. I'm going to hazard a guess that "Use Map" isn't in the "Where To?" list because you can just open the map and select somewhere and go to it.

Edited by insig

Firmware Anomaly Noted

• Activate “Where To?”

Use Map

Trails

Tracks

Routes

Extras

Restricted Areas

Facilities

That's because they won't appear in the "Where To?" list unless any of them exist on the device. For example, "Trails" will only appear in the list if you have a map that has the "named trails" feature. Topo Deutschland 2012 PRO is an example of a map that has named trails. "Extras" shows up if you have a GPI file in the Poi folder on your device. I believe "Restricted Areas" are something you'll find on marine maps. The "Use Map" item is for when you are making a route. When you go to add a route point, you get the same list as when you select "Where To?", but it also includes "Use Map". That takes you to the map so you can select the next point that you want to put in your route. I'm going to hazard a guess that "Use Map" isn't in the "Where To?" list because you can just open the map and select somewhere and go to it.

Ah, interesting. What you state makes a lot of sense. Thanks for illuminating the situation.

Hi,

I consider to buy the NiMH Akku pack from Garmin.

Can anyone, who bought this pack, tell me, how long it lasts, to charge the pack from 0% to 100%.

At the moment I have an external charger with lots of enveloop batteries and I am not sure, if the Akku pack is the better solution for me.

Thanks.

Florian

Edited by mclampy

So it turns out the Oregon 600 batterypack is 2 AA's NiMh batteries.

30t1fup.jpg

10fuamb.png

I tried splashy´s solution. It works! The eneloop batteries charge, but it seems, that the device doesn´t regognize, when the batteries are fully charged.

The oregon always show me, that the Batteries are charging. Is there an Icon at all, that shows, that the batteries are fully charged?

Does anybody have other experiences?

Florian

Edited by mclampy

My 600 arrived on Friday but today was first time I've been out with it. Very underwhelmed! It has frozen every few minutes and only way to unfreeze is to remove batteries! Frustrating annoying and peed off! Reverted to iPhone.

Have you loaded the updated firmware that is available for it?

My 600 arrived on Friday but today was first time I've been out with it. Very underwhelmed! It has frozen every few minutes and only way to unfreeze is to remove batteries! Frustrating annoying and peed off! Reverted to iPhone.

Did you update the firmware to 2.60 since you got your unit? I'm going to guess No.

Did you update the firmware to 2.60 since you got your unit? I'm going to guess No.

I need to do this, too. I took mine out on a long-ish hike on Saturday, to get the feel of what I like and what I need to change. Some bugs, like the pointer no moving on the map or pointing the wrong way for a while before straightening out. Haven't had it crash or freeze, yet. About 8 hours of use so far.

I just read a review of the Oregon 650, but I'm not sure if having GLONASS support have improved accuracy or not. Is it any faster at getting a satellite fix and determining a location any faster than the Garmin 62 series? How does it fare against the ancient, but reliable Garmin 60CSX?

Edited by Sgt_Strider

Sorry, but I have a few more questions to ask. Is there a reason why the Oregon 600t have so little built-in memory?

I'm primarily interested in getting this for the track log feature to record my journeys. Is it correct that all the Oregon units have the ability to record a track point every 1 second for the recording interval? Can it also record in the auto record method, most often interval? Those two settings have existed in previous Garmin handheld units. I'm expecting them to be in the Oregon, but I want to ask just in case it doesn't.

The Oregon 600 have 1.5GB of space. The Oregon 650 have 3.5GB of space. The Garmin 62 series cannot record the track logs to the microSD card for some bizarre reason. I say it's bizarre because I can record the data to the microSD for my Garmin 60CSX. It wasn't that much of an issue because the Garmin 62 unit have plenty of memory. So can the Oregon 600 and 650 record tracks that can take up all of its available memory? I realize that of the 1.5GB available on the Oregon 600, I'll probably get less than advertised for my own use. Let's say 1GB is available for the end user. Will the Oregon 600 be able to record track logs with an interval of 1 second (in other words, saving a gps coordinat every single second) and utilize all 1GB of space?

Thank you.

Glosnass doesn't make it more accurate, but when Gps reception is bad for whatever reason you might receive Glosnass satellites and will be able to continue.

While using a track you will be able to write for months of continues tracks. The gpsr closes a track after 100.000 trackpoints and start a new one. All these track have a name with date and time, making it easy to see what is what.

On my Montana a track of 2.30 hours takes 195 Kb !!!

BTW most of the time you don;t need a trackpoint every second, if you set automatic, meaning if you go in a straight line it will write a trackpoint about every 5 seconds, if you go off the straight line it will register about every second.

The 6XX will definitely have some startup problems and some are severe, it's up to Garmin now to make the software better and they will come with new software soon.

As good and stable as 60th series is, it's a very old model now and doesn't have many functions of the 6XX series.

Edited by splashy

My experience using a GPS both with and without GLONASS is that it is indeed more accurate with GLONASS. Caveat here though, I've only checked this in the UK so it may be different elsewhere.

I find where I am (N45 W75) that GLONASS does seem to help when I am under heavy tree cover.

I've been out with friends that use Oregon 450 units, and without heavy tree cover, the devices are within a few metres of each other.

Sorry, but I have a few more questions to ask. Is there a reason why the Oregon 600t have so little built-in memory?

I'm primarily interested in getting this for the track log feature to record my journeys. Is it correct that all the Oregon units have the ability to record a track point every 1 second for the recording interval? Can it also record in the auto record method, most often interval? Those two settings have existed in previous Garmin handheld units. I'm expecting them to be in the Oregon, but I want to ask just in case it doesn't.

The Oregon 600 have 1.5GB of space. The Oregon 650 have 3.5GB of space. The Garmin 62 series cannot record the track logs to the microSD card for some bizarre reason. I say it's bizarre because I can record the data to the microSD for my Garmin 60CSX. It wasn't that much of an issue because the Garmin 62 unit have plenty of memory. So can the Oregon 600 and 650 record tracks that can take up all of its available memory? I realize that of the 1.5GB available on the Oregon 600, I'll probably get less than advertised for my own use. Let's say 1GB is available for the end user. Will the Oregon 600 be able to record track logs with an interval of 1 second (in other words, saving a gps coordinat every single second) and utilize all 1GB of space?

Thank you.

The 600t has a preloaded topo map, so that's what is taking up so much space.

accuracy is all about the geometry of the visible satellites. Adding GLONASS you may have more satellites visible (GPS+GLONASS) and therefore may have better accuracy by way of a GLONASS bird having better geometry than a GPS bird for that given time/location.

Under ideal conditions with 100% of the sky visible I would not expect GLONASS to improve accuracy but the real world is not like that. With obstructions such as mountains and buildings there is the possibility that one or more GPS satellites will not be visible and reducing accuracy, therefore having GLONASS support could improve the accuracy by giving the receiver more data (hopefully better data) to work with.

GPS+GLONASS will not guarantee improved accuracy but in many real world situations it can give improved data when calculating a fix.

The 6XX will definitely have some startup problems and some are severe

:huh:

As good and stable as 60th series is, it's a very old model now and doesn't have many functions of the 6XX series.

But, it's RELIABLE and built like a brick you-know-what. They're still in demand, too. Take a look at current prices. They're more than what I paid new. The 60CSx has anything anyone would ever need in an outdoor GPS. That thing will get you out of a jam and get you home more reliably than just about any other consumer GPS out there. And, despite what anyone thinks, you don't *need* a built-in camera, paperless caching, etc.

Edited by sviking

My experience using a GPS both with and without GLONASS is that it is indeed more accurate with GLONASS. Caveat here though, I've only checked this in the UK so it may be different elsewhere.

I've done tests using many replications analyzing tracklogs in difficult tree cover and urban terrain. There are also several studies online where researchers used computer attached equipment and ran many replicates.

This isn't even a question. The debate is over. GLONASS improves accuracy in difficult terrain or heavy tree cover. [PERIOD]

Write it down, take it to the bank, bet the farm. :)

This isn't even a question. The debate is over. GLONASS improves accuracy in difficult terrain or heavy tree cover. [PERIOD]

Does it cause any significant hit on battery life?

Not really, keep the screen backlight a bit down for longer batterylife.

Edited by splashy

Glosnass doesn't make it more accurate, but when Gps reception is bad for whatever reason you might receive Glosnass satellites and will be able to continue.

While using a track you will be able to write for months of continues tracks. The gpsr closes a track after 100.000 trackpoints and start a new one. All these track have a name with date and time, making it easy to see what is what.

On my Montana a track of 2.30 hours takes 195 Kb !!!

BTW most of the time you don;t need a trackpoint every second, if you set automatic, meaning if you go in a straight line it will write a trackpoint about every 5 seconds, if you go off the straight line it will register about every second.

The 6XX will definitely have some startup problems and some are severe, it's up to Garmin now to make the software better and they will come with new software soon.

I'm using the GPS for geotagging so recording a track point every single second matters to me. I took the advice from someone who just like you told me not to record it every single second and I regret it. Now, I'm not worried about file sizes. Why should I be worried? Even if the track closes after 100,000 trackpoints and start a new one, why would it matter? As long as the GPS coordinates are record it then that's what matters to me. Now unless recording every single second decreases accuracy or something negative happens, then I'll reconsider, but if file sizes are an issue for you, then it's not a concern for me.

Thank you.

The 600t has a preloaded topo map, so that's what is taking up so much space.

My other questions haven't been answered yet, but will the 600 and 650 record gps coordinates/tracks to the device until it fills out its capacity? Let's say I have 1GB available to use on the Oregon 600. Can the 1GB be filled with GPX files produced by the Oregon 600?

See my reply @ # 962

And in the end it will fill the memory, but that can take a really really long time.

Sorry, I got confused there. So on your Montana, you've set the device to record a GPS coordinate at a 1 second interval and it made a 195kb file in 2.5 hours? Is that what you said? Even then, I could still see the memory filled up easily if I were to go on a multi-week trip. Wouldn't you agree?

I also want to make sure that I completely understand you here. Despite the fact that after 100,000 points, a new track is created, I can be confident that I won't lose any points in the process right? Every single GPS coordinate will be recorded regardless of whether a new track is created?

Sgt Strider repeated his mistake twice, therefore my correction; OK.

My Garmin (eTrex 30), when memory full, automaticaly archives first part of a track which has exactly 2700 trackpoints into Auto.gpx file. So, the current track is not emptied completely, but has 10000-2700=7300 trackpoints afterwards.

Is this mechanism valid also for Oregon 6xx?