New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

This is new and interesting. The DVD version requirements state:

This product may be unlocked and used on 1 compatible device (to unlock, simply follow the instructions on the certificate that comes in the packaging). If you want to use this same map on subsequent devices, you must purchase a new map for each device.

Which is weird, since the 600t's data seemed to be at least a couple years out of date for the roads, and unroutable. Yet, the 24k DVDs which are routable are okay?

I'm confused.

Kolenka, can you compare track properties (ascents and descents) in Oregon and in BaseCamp?

Now that I've had time to do some actual comparisons with my track from Saturday...

Device:

• Min: 236 ft
  • Max: 502 ft
  • Ascent: 551 ft
  • Descent: 545 ft

Basecamp Windows:

• Min: 236 ft
  • Max: 502 ft

Basecamp Mac:

• Min: Not Reported
  • Max: Not Reported

It does look like it is consistent across the board. And I suspect the trip computer is using a track internally now.

As for that weird result, there's definitely some interesting filtering rejection happening. Of the current track, there are 5 distinct segments. The first segment is where most of the ascent/descent comes from. It ranges from 107ft to 340ft. Suddenly the last two samples in the track jump up to 602 ft that you see as the maximum. Other segments have very little ascent/descent, but are all over the place in terms of altitude (due to GPS error and being indoors). There's definitely some data filtering going on as Basecamp is even reducing/minimizing the effect of these last two points of the first segment.

Edited by Kolenka

I'm having an issue adding maps to my 600. I'm adding sections of several maps-National Parks 24k; state topos from GPS File Depot; and the older 100k Garmin topos.

Using Basecamp, it pulls up a list of maps that I can add to my 600, and the 100k topos are on that list. I go through the selection process to add the maps, and it give a list of maps to be added, which includes all of the maps I've selected including the 100k topos. Basecamp then goes through the motions of adding the maps to my 600. After, when I open my 600, all of the maps show up except the 100k topo maps. I have plenty of space on my card, and according to Basecamp, these maps are compatible with my device.

Any ideas??

Edited by BHP1

I am just surprised that trip computer in Oregon perfectly matches the track record. Does it depend somehow on track record interval?

I think they will match if you set the interval to once per second.

The track interval on my 600 is Auto/Normal. I'll try other values and see if it still matches.

I'm having an issue adding maps to my 600. I'm adding sections of several maps-National Parks 24k; state topos from GPS File Depot; and the older 100k Garmin topos.

Using Basecamp, it pulls up a list of maps that I can add to my 600, and the US topos are on that list. I go through the selection process to add the maps, and it give a list of maps to be added, which includes all of the maps I've selected including the US topos. Basecamp then goes through the motions of adding the maps to my 600. After, when I open my 600, all of the maps show up except the US topo maps. I have plenty of space on my card, and according to Basecamp, these maps are compatible with my device.

Any ideas??

How many different maps are you installing? Any that spill over into two .img files? It seems that there is a limit of 8-9 different map files that the 600 will load. And it doesn't "merge" maps that are split across two imgs like the 450 does on the current firmware.

Kolenka, can you provide some basic information for a complete newbie on what recommended options to configure on the 600? This is my first handheld GPS. I don't even know how to do something basic like record a track/trip or whether I should reset trip data when I start a new track.

I noticed by default the screen turns off after a short while, to save battery. But then I'm not sure if it is still recording track/trip data or if the unit itself turned off. I have to press the power button to turn it back on. So I turned off battery saving, which then just turns off the back light but leaves the screen on. I guess my question is if I want to capture track data, what is the best way to do it so the screen is "locked" but it is still capturing data? Ideally I want to start recording a track and then put the unit in my pocket without worrying about things changing because the screen gets touched.

Kolenka, can you provide some basic information for a complete newbie on what recommended options to configure on the 600? This is my first handheld GPS. I don't even know how to do something basic like record a track/trip or whether I should reset trip data when I start a new track.

I noticed by default the screen turns off after a short while, to save battery. But then I'm not sure if it is still recording track/trip data or if the unit itself turned off. I have to press the power button to turn it back on. So I turned off battery saving, which then just turns off the back light but leaves the screen on. I guess my question is if I want to capture track data, what is the best way to do it so the screen is "locked" but it is still capturing data? Ideally I want to start recording a track and then put the unit in my pocket without worrying about things changing because the screen gets touched.

Garmin's manuals say that it will record when using battery saver, and the screen turns off. Both the screen and GPS chip itself are noticeable drains on the battery, but it can't really turn off the GPS chip without making the device a lot more frustrating to use.

The thing that is confusing about these devices at first is that there are multiple ways to accomplish the same basic result, so which way you go is really up to you:

- You can use the 'lock screen' feature: press the power button and press the small lock button at the bottom. This means you can put it wherever and still whip it out for reference.

- Use the power save feature. It will still record, and while the screen is off, it won't accept touch input.

As for how to handle track/trip resetting, also up to you. I don't like the trip/track data being separate (and I like a "simpler" experience overall where there is less for me to keep track of), so I have my device set so that it resets the trip computer when I reset the current track. Some people don't like that behavior, and will disable that. No real problem with either one, just go with what works best for you.

Using Basecamp, it pulls up a list of maps that I can add to my 600, and the US topos are on that list. I go through the selection process to add the maps, and it give a list of maps to be added, which includes all of the maps I've selected including the US topos. Basecamp then goes through the motions of adding the maps to my 600. After, when I open my 600, all of the maps show up except the US topo maps. I have plenty of space on my card, and according to Basecamp, these maps are compatible with my device.

Any ideas??

How many different maps are you installing? Any that spill over into two .img files? It seems that there is a limit of 8-9 different map files that the 600 will load. And it doesn't "merge" maps that are split across two imgs like the 450 does on the current firmware.

I have a total of 8 .img files. I didn't see anything about a map limit in the manual or in a google search. So, I experimented by removing one map and trying to add some 100k topo sections. Still no go. I now have 7 .img files on my device. The 100k US topos simply aren't being loaded even though Basecamp says they are compatible, and they show up in the list of maps that is being installed.

The only reason for this issue that I can think of is that Garmin has somehow locked out installing these maps on the 600. I'm wondering if I can create a GPS img file in Mapsource and then copy that to the 600.

EDIT: I created an .img file in Mapsource, loaded on an SD card, then copied that file to my 600. The maps work fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is with Basecamp.

Edited by BHP1

I have a total of 8 .img files. I didn't see anything about a map limit in the manual or in a google search. So, I experimented by removing one map and trying to add some 100k topo sections. Still no go. I now have 7 .img files on my device. The 100k US topos simply aren't being loaded even though Basecamp says they are compatible, and they show up in the list of maps that is being installed.

I only discovered there was a limit by trying to install the maps and going into the map selection screen, and noticing that only some of the maps were selectable. As I removed maps, the missing ones started to appear in the list so I could enable/disable them. Very weird behavior.

The only reason for this issue that I can think of is that Garmin has somehow locked out installing these maps on the 600. I'm wondering if I can create a GPS img file in Mapsource and then copy that to the 600.

I'd be surprised if they did. Really the only way to confirm that is to load an SD card with just those img files from the 100k topo and see if they load. Even then, it could be a bug with Map Installer.

I only discovered there was a limit by trying to install the maps and going into the map selection screen, and noticing that only some of the maps were selectable. As I removed maps, the missing ones started to appear in the list so I could enable/disable them. Very weird behavior.

I'd be surprised if they did. Really the only way to confirm that is to load an SD card with just those img files from the 100k topo and see if they load. Even then, it could be a bug with Map Installer.

I did load an SD with a Mapsource .img file and copied that over to my 600 and it opens with no issues.

I'm only loading sections, not whole maps, so I've not seen any of my map selections greyed out. I only total 466mb with the maps I've loaded. I guess it's an issue with the map loader and the older 100k maps.

I'm only loading sections, not whole maps, so I've not seen any of my map selections greyed out. I only total 466mb with the maps I've loaded. I guess it's an issue with the map loader and the older 100k maps.

Entirely possible.

In my case, it wasn't that map sections were grayed out, the map imgs themselves weren't even being loaded. It was as if they weren't on the SD card at all.

good news for people who ordered from LL Bean, here a transcript of my chat with their customer service today:

Me: I have a question about my order #xxxx It is now showing "backorder filling". Does that mean it's being shipped? thanks

Diane: Good afternoon.

Me: hello

Diane: That means we just received the Garmin and are still to process the item so we can send it out to you.

Me: any idea how long that usually takes?

Diane: A normal order shipping to Colorado would take 5-6 business days.

Me: so 5-6 days after it's shipped or that's how long it takes to process ?

Diane: From today. So you should have it next week.

Me: ok, thank you !

Diane: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: that's it

Diane: Thank you for contacting L.L.Bean. I am pleased that I was able to help you. Have a wonderful afternoon.

Question to the electronics gurus out there and I apologize if it's already been asked. Would I be able to charge any two NIMH batteries inside the Oregon 600, instead of purchasing a separate battery pack? I have eight rechargeable batteries here that are NIMH type AAs that I use for other purposes, and wonder if I can insert a pair into the Oregon permanently and plug the unit in as necessary.

Edited by A.T. Hiker Golfer

The 600 has a switch in the battery compartment, somebody suggested 2 separate batteries and ducktape plus something hard in between to fool the switch thinking the original Gamin batteryblock is installed.

Nobody reported what happens if you overload the NIMH, if this is possible at all.

be careful what you do, you might lose your garantee.

I wouldn't. Not until someone dissects the battery pack to figure out what type of rechargeable NIMH's are used. There are two types and you might just screw up the battery meter or even cause harm to your units electronics. Even when we find out what type is used, I would still be very cautious.

Hi, I have always used my phone GPS but my new phone screen is no good. I am now looking for a handheld GPS. Do you have to buy separate maps for different areas on top of the cost of the handheld. I have used my phone while caching in America, Iceland, UK and Tunisia and never have to pay for any upgrades on maps.

thanks

Your enquiry seems to have been ignored, so I'll try to answer it!

If you buy the Garmin xxxt models, then you get a fairly basic European "Topo" map included with it. Typically this includes roads, some major paths but not canal towpaths judging by the one on my Oregon 400t. You can buy the GPSr bundled with an OS Discoverer map covering the whole of the British Isles, for a pretty hefty discount over the price of buying the map seperately. Or you can download free maps from sites like Talky Toaster (for the UK) or Freizeitkarte (for Europe) or Open Street Maps for rest of the world. The free maps are typically updated every month as users add information (their free because their being created by the users in the same as as a Wiki). The "official OS maps or Garmin Topo maps are not updated as a free service - you would have to buy a complete replacement at the full price.

Chris

I wouldn't. Not until someone dissects the battery pack to figure out what type of rechargeable NIMH's are used. There are two types and you might just screw up the battery meter or even cause harm to your units electronics. Even when we find out what type is used, I would still be very cautious.

I'll never understand buying a new piece of hardware for $400 and then risking breaking it on a cheap attempt to charge non-standard batteries. May as well try parachuting with a pillowcase.

Are we saying that NIMH batteries ( 2 individual ) can't be used in the unit ??

I use Eneloops in ALL my other units, why not this one.

NiMH can be used, it's just that the only batteries that it will recharge when plugged in are the ones in the OEM battery pack. Eneloops work just like the have in past handhelds.

It actually says NIMH recommended. All NIMH I'm aware of are rechargeable ......it seems if two were in place when external power is applied they would charge.

There's a button in the battery case of the Oregon that has to be pressed down for it to charge the batteries. The OEM battery pack pressed the button down. Just sticking in two NiMH batteries won't press down the button, so it won't charge them.

It actually says NIMH recommended. All NIMH I'm aware of are rechargeable ......it seems if two were in place when external power is applied they would charge.

There's a button in the battery case of the Oregon that has to be pressed down for it to charge the batteries. The OEM battery pack pressed the button down. Just sticking in two NiMH batteries won't press down the button, so it won't charge them.

Just to add:

And the reason for the button is so that a user can't simply make a mistake and put the Oregon in a position where it is told to charge Alkaline or Lithium batteries, which will simply leak chemicals all over the inside of your GPSr rather than charge.

That said, I still don't know how much current the AC adapter can provide to the Oregon 6xx models. It'll be a fairly slow charge if it is the standard (500mA).

That said, I still don't know how much current the AC adapter can provide to the Oregon 6xx models. It'll be a fairly slow charge if it is the standard (500mA).

That suggests it is not a USB charger? Requires another wall wart?

Second??? My OR 450 has a simple rubber plug over the USB port, how is the 6xx USB done?

Thanks

Garmin states that the only batteries which charge IN the unit are their offered NiMH pack, which depresses a button. The charging circuit might work with some duct-taped Eneloop NiMH cells, but Garmin will likely take issue if you are using cells which somehow damage the charging circuitry and try to get a repair on your unit under warranty.

It's a nice little pack they are selling, but nothing I need. I generally go out with several pairs of charged NiMH cells in by day-pack, which may be used in various AA-cell using devices and Garmin already have confirmed aftermarket NiMH cells will work (so long as they are the 1.2 volt jobbies, not some 3.6 volt or higher outfit not intended.) The pack may be useful for road trips, where you get in and out of the car now and then for a cache (to walk past the assembling bomb disposal squad at the rest stop and sign the log in something they were alerted to, much to their consternation.)

I would be the last one to smoke some diode or resistor because I'm too cheap to buy the genuine OEM cell pack for whatever they want and damage my $400+ GPSr. Pennywise and pound foolish comes to mind.

Just to add:

And the reason for the button is so that a user can't simply make a mistake and put the Oregon in a position where it is told to charge Alkaline or Lithium batteries, which will simply leak chemicals all over the inside of your GPSr rather than charge.

These replies answer it fine......I was just curious as I would stay with the Eneloops regardless.

Second??? My OR 450 has a simple rubber plug over the USB port, how is the 6xx USB done?

Thanks

It is a USB charger, but USB charging can take on multiple power levels. The common one is 500mA ("standard"), but more recently, 1A has become available ("high power"). If it is 1A, you can get some good charging speed with Garmin's battery pack. If it is 500mA, your normal high-speed AA charger will stomp all over it. Suffice it to say, I'm not willing to void my warranty to find out the charging rate with a pair of Eneloop XXs.

It is still a rubber plug. A differently designed one which is a bit harder to push back into place, but shouldn't have any issues keeping water out.

It is a USB charger, but USB charging can take on multiple power levels. The common one is 500mA ("standard"), but more recently, 1A has become available ("high power"). If it is 1A, you can get some good charging speed with Garmin's battery pack. If it is 500mA, your normal high-speed AA charger will stomp all over it. Suffice it to say, I'm not willing to void my warranty to find out the charging rate with a pair of Eneloop XXs.

My experience with fast charging is fast death. I killed some premium 2900mAH Powerx cells with a cheap fast charger. My current LaCrosse defaults to 200mA per cell and that works well with basic Eneloops.

Thanks

My experience with fast charging is fast death. I killed some premium 2900mAH Powerx cells with a cheap fast charger. My current LaCrosse defaults to 200mA per cell and that works well with basic Eneloops.

Thanks

According to Battery University, NiMh cells perform best when charged at a rate equal to 0.5C (charge rate that equates to half their capacity).

For a regular Eneloop or a Duraloop, that would be 1000 mA or 1A.

A 200 mA charge rate can result in a missed termination, which ends up overcharging the battery and possibly causing it to vent.

Thanks

It is still a rubber plug. A differently designed one which is a bit harder to push back into place, but shouldn't have any issues keeping water out.

I believe the official cigarette lighter adapter cranks the current up to 1A. I'm not sure on other adapters.

Thanks

According to Battery University, NiMh cells perform best when charged at a rate equal to 0.5C (charge rate that equates to half their capacity).

For a regular Eneloop or a Duraloop, that would be 1000 mA or 1A.

A 200 mA charge rate can result in a missed termination, which ends up overcharging the battery and possibly causing it to vent.

And it also depends on the charger too. A fast charger that fails to properly detect the end of charging (or other issues that should terminate charging), then you can run into problems there as well. I've had good luck with my batteries after moving to LSD NiMHs, and using a proper charger like the LaCrosse.

I believe the official cigarette lighter adapter cranks the current up to 1A. I'm not sure on other adapters.

That's good news if it will use it to charge. Hard to know for sure without hooking something up and measuring the current draw while charging. :)

[quote name=Team-H :)' timestamp='1367421043' post='5243782]

650 review: http://gpstracklog.com/2013/05/garmin-oregon-650-review.html

I can't wait for mine to ship. I was debating not waiting and getting a Montana 650 but after reading the article I'm going to hold out for the 650 to ship...someday.

If the 650 I have ordered doesn't ship by Friday then I'm abandoning the order and going for a 600. This is frustrating decision to have to make, clearly Garmin have done something very wrong, somewhere along their production plan. :mad:

- Use the power save feature. It will still record, and while the screen is off, it won't accept touch input.

Hi Kolenka,

I tried today using battery saver to record a track. The screen and backlight turned off after the 30second time limit I set. However, unfortunately when I viewed the track later, it showed a straight "bee line" from where it turned off to where I then powered it back on. So it appears that allowing it to enter battery saver does not continue to record tracks or GPS locations.

I guess the only option is to allow the backlight to turn off, but keep the screen itself on (lock mode maybe).

Does this sound right?

Thanks again!

By the way guys, this is my first handheld GPS and I love the capacitive touch screen. I played with an Oregon 550 in the REI store and was disappointed. My natural inclination was to "pinch" the screen to zoom in and out and they just did not support it. The fact that I can interact with the 600t like a modern smartphone is wonderful. Truly a giant leap forward and the way of the future. The only other thing I would LOVE to have is a world-wide satellite map. I'm sure that is coming but a long way off. We need larger MicroSD cards and a service that would sell whole continent or nation maps. 5 years away? 10 years? Who knows, but that would be awesome.

By the way guys, this is my first handheld GPS and I love the capacitive touch screen. I played with an Oregon 550 in the REI store and was disappointed. My natural inclination was to "pinch" the screen to zoom in and out and they just did not support it. The fact that I can interact with the 600t like a modern smartphone is wonderful. Truly a giant leap forward and the way of the future. The only other thing I would LOVE to have is a world-wide satellite map. I'm sure that is coming but a long way off. We need larger MicroSD cards and a service that would sell whole continent or nation maps. 5 years away? 10 years? Who knows, but that would be awesome.

I shudder to imagine how much would such a map cost :) You pay $100 just for one country now

I tried today using battery saver to record a track. The screen and backlight turned off after the 30second time limit I set. However, unfortunately when I viewed the track later, it showed a straight "bee line" from where it turned off to where I then powered it back on. So it appears that allowing it to enter battery saver does not continue to record tracks or GPS locations.

Assuming you had it set correctly, then you've found the first bug in the 6xx firmware. Based on past history, many more bugs will follow.

My 450 records tracks with both the screen and backlight timed out in roughly 30-sec.

Since Kolenka is clearly an expert user, will be interesting if he can duplicate your results.