New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

By the time we get them in Europe, I hope you will have sorted all the bugs out!

Amazon UK is saying all variants will be released on the 1st of August, while other retailers are varying from late April (a date that hasn't been updated for weeks) to late May. :mad:

If Garmin want to keep us interested they had better start handing some out for reviewers to report back on or they'll lose sales to their competitors.

Chris

I am in the UK and received mine on Tuesday of this week from Go Outdoors, complete with 1:50k OS maps. It arrived just in time for 2 weeks of hiking and sea kayaking in Scotland :-)

image.jpeg

Wow great news!! GoOutdoors need to update their website to show the 600 is available then and not still on pre-order! (I'm still waiting for a 650 though, and will be buying from Cotswold Outdoors as their prices are better with the GAGB discount)

Chris

By the time we get them in Europe, I hope you will have sorted all the bugs out!

Amazon UK is saying all variants will be released on the 1st of August, while other retailers are varying from late April (a date that hasn't been updated for weeks) to late May. :mad:

If Garmin want to keep us interested they had better start handing some out for reviewers to report back on or they'll lose sales to their competitors.

Chris

I am in the UK and received mine on Tuesday of this week from Go Outdoors, complete with 1:50k OS maps. It arrived just in time for 2 weeks of hiking and sea kayaking in Scotland :-)

image.jpeg

Wow great news!! GoOutdoors need to update their website to show the 600 is available then and not still on pre-order! (I'm still waiting for a 650 though, and will be buying from Cotswold Outdoors as their prices are better with the GAGB discount)

Chris

I'm also intending to wait for the 650. I'm not currently a member of GAGB, will I still make a saving with joining and going to Cotswold Outdoors compared to GoOutDoors? Keith

Question,

Can you make a profile without crashing?

Is the tripcomputer working?

How accurate is your 600 compared to older models?

Does it startup takes some time?

(Used the last softwareupdate.)

- Yes.

- It'd probably be easier to ask something a bit more specific. I can say "Yes", and still probably not really answer your question.

- Depends on the situation. This has been discussed earlier in the thread by a few of us.

- Startup is the same or faster than the 450. Also discussed earlier this thread.

I'm also intending to wait for the 650. I'm not currently a member of GAGB, will I still make a saving with joining and going to Cotswold Outdoors compared to GoOutDoors? Keith

If you're in the UK, I don't see why not Keith!

Go to the GAGB website - www.gagb.co.uk - and join up. (It's free, you just need to register.)

You'll then be able to access the Member's Chat section of the GAGB Forum, and you'll find a pinned topic giving details of the Cotswold Outdoors discount for GAGB members. (They're quite liberal with their discounts as I also have a discount via the Cyclists Touring Club!) Go to the bottom of the thread to download the current letter giving your discount code. at present it's a 15% discount. :)

Chris

Question,

- Yes.

- It'd probably be easier to ask something a bit more specific. I can say "Yes", and still probably not really answer your question.

- Depends on the situation. This has been discussed earlier in the thread by a few of us.

- Startup is the same or faster than the 450. Also discussed earlier this thread.

I KNOW what is written here, important is was is not written, it seems after a few days using one, some units are not so good and stable as it looks like.

And, you're absolutely sure you didn't have any missing areas? Awfully strange that my newer Montana couldn't do it without moving/renaming files around on the card, which required the use of a computer.

Are you sure you aren't confusing the 100k and 24k maps? The 100k maps are a single US map of roughly 500 tiles total. The limit is 4000 for the Oregon and Montanas, so it should fit fine on any device.

The 24k maps on the other hand, seem to be around 9000 tiles for the 48 states. That's not going to work at all. And it is one helluva expense.

As I said before, with TOPO on the DVD, no, they're not. The map is broken into 6000+ tiles to be more compatible with older units that had tiny memories. Smaller tiles made those units more flexible than needing the next HUGE tile over...and not being able to fit it with the larger tiles on the TOPO maps that COME ON THE UNIT. This is a distinction just about every one who's spent time with multiple Garmin handheld units should know by now.

And, freakin' dadgum it to hell with Garmin and the 4000 tile limit...AGAIN... :rolleyes:

Question,

- Yes.

I KNOW what is written here, important is was is not written, it seems after a few days using one, some units are not so good and stable as it looks like.

Only, you seem to have missed bits that were written here. Hence my confusion. Your comments are vague, so I have a hard time following where you are trying to go with this.

Are you trying to say your experiences are different than what you see here after picking one up? Are you trying to get more detail before ordering? Are you suggesting that we aren't telling the truth in our commentary (discussing GPS accuracy and startup in particular). I don't know, and it would really help to have context so I can understand what you are trying to say.

As I said before, with TOPO on the DVD, no, they're not. The map is broken into 6000+ tiles to be more compatible with older units that had tiny memories. Smaller tiles made those units more flexible than needing the next HUGE tile over...and not being able to fit it with the larger tiles on the TOPO maps that COME ON THE UNIT. This is a distinction just about every one who's spent time with multiple Garmin handheld units should know by now.

And, freakin' dadgum it to hell with Garmin and the 4000 tile limit...AGAIN... :rolleyes:

It looks like that might be changing with the v5 maps. Hard to tell exactly at this point, and I decided to skip on them. Does anyone have the v5 DVD?

I will say that the experience when you go over the limit is pretty unhelpful. It is easy to miss lack of coverage unless you inspect it personally at the appropriate zoom levels. Which is incredibly time consuming. So I could see how someone could get 6000 tiles loaded and not notice a coverage gap.

Edited by Kolenka

The new v5 of Topo 100k (that comes with the "t" models) has had it's road and trail system upgraded. It now has all of the roads and trails shown on the Topo 24k product from Garmin. The only difference appears to be the water features and topo lines. I might actually recommend the "t" models now based on this improvement. The roads used to be based on inaccurate tiger data and was a major drawback.

@kolemka

I'm not suggesting anything, just asking if other people have the same problems with this model like I wrote.

"I don't know, and it would really help to have context so I can understand what you are trying to say."

Well to me it LOOKS like we are on the same route as Colorado, Oregon, Montana and many other models, it all seemed to work ok, then when more units came on the market we had and still have all kind or problems.

@Kolenka

1. Is it possible to search POIs "along the route"?

2. Is it possible to turn on marine alarms: e.g. anchor alarm?

3. What about accuracy of altitude measurements by trip computer? Do "total ascents" and "total descents" match track records?

4. What about battery life? Could it be close to eTrex in battery safe mode?

Please confirm whether the Garmin Oregon 600 can charge batteries such as Eneloops?

Or is it really limited to charging the Garmin custom battery pack?

This would really be handy e.g. in car with the oh-so-needed USB charging that is now supported by Oregon 6X0.

this would be good to know too.. is there a FAQ for all this info?

Please confirm whether the Garmin Oregon 600 can charge batteries such as Eneloops?

This would really be handy e.g. in car with the oh-so-needed USB charging that is now supported by Oregon 6X0.

In time there will be a complete Wiki @

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/home

GULO when did you order yours? You are showing a price of $399.00 ?

yay, LL Bean changed 600 ship date from May 19 to May 10 today....I guess little bit of good news?

I was just at there website checking on my backorder for a 600 and it still shows 5-19 ????

Mystery solved Gulo is on the list ahead of me and will get his first. Lucky guy.

yay :laughing:

6d2gjRY.png

OK, so it shows 5/10 on the website, but when I pull out my individual order is also still shows 5/19. I presume they just didn't update it ?

Edited by rjerry

GULO when did you order yours? You are showing a price of $3999.00 ?

Well definitely not $3999.00 :)

I ordered mine on 2/16/13, I signed up for LL Bean credit card so my total came to $339.15

If I check my order status is shows available 5/19 but if you look directly on their page it shows 5/10.

I really hope it will ship a bit earlier, but as long as it's not later than 5/10 I'm OK

@kolemka

I'm not suggesting anything, just asking if other people have the same problems with this model like I wrote.

"I don't know, and it would really help to have context so I can understand what you are trying to say."

Well to me it LOOKS like we are on the same route as Colorado, Oregon, Montana and many other models, it all seemed to work ok, then when more units came on the market we had and still have all kind or problems.

I have mentioned some instability in my comments on the device. I'm not terribly sure how all this gets missed when I haven't been holding my negatives back.

@Kolenka

1. Is it possible to search POIs "along the route"?

2. Is it possible to turn on marine alarms: e.g. anchor alarm?

3. What about accuracy of altitude measurements by trip computer? Do "total ascents" and "total descents" match track records?

4. What about battery life? Could it be close to eTrex in battery safe mode?

1) No

2) Anchor Drag, Off Course, Deep Water and Shallow Water alarms are available.

3) assuming you configure it so both are reset at the same time, they do match.

4) I haven't been using battery save mode with it. But I suspect the eTrex will still win with it on. I've been getting 16-17 hours when letting the backlight turn off. It is easy enough to see with the backlight off that it does help hit Garmin's rated life more consistently, but I'm mostly getting similar battery life to the 450. So you could use those numbers and be close.

There is a button in the battery bay. If pressed it will allow charging. It is built such that Garmin's battery pack will press it and nothing else will. You could probably rig something, but I'd say any damage to the device from trying to charge non-Garmin rechargeables would not be covered by warranty.

so the latest build of GSAK will now automatically generate GGZ file, can't wait to try it out myself. Now if only we could create larger pocket queries, it will be hard to fully take advantage of this feature without the data becoming stale with partial updates.

Link

Edited by gulo

@Kolenka

Thanks and let me be more precise about points no. 2 and 3

I know manual of Oregon, but what about real test data?

So,

2. Does "off course" alarm works if navigating Trackback?

3. Do you have real field records to confirm "total ascents"and"total descents"?

The new v5 of Topo 100k (that comes with the "t" models) has had it's road and trail system upgraded. It now has all of the roads and trails shown on the Topo 24k product from Garmin. The only difference appears to be the water features and topo lines. I might actually recommend the "t" models now based on this improvement. The roads used to be based on inaccurate tiger data and was a major drawback.

Are they routable? The 24K maps are have pretty much the same roads and POIs as City Navigator. Is this now true for the 100K maps?

I'm not suggesting that anyone test this, but... Does anyone have info/speculation on the long-term scratch resistance of the 600 series screens? Yeah, yeah... put some protection on it, but given the obvious differences in materials used in various models, if these screens are iPhone5-like in hardness, let's say, it would be appreciated.

@Kolenka

Thanks and let me be more precise about points no. 2 and 3

I know manual of Oregon, but what about real test data?

So,

2. Does "off course" alarm works if navigating Trackback?

3. Do you have real field records to confirm "total ascents"and"total descents"?

2) I don't really know how well the marine alarms work, but since the code is built on top of the Montana's code, I'd expect similar behavior, possibly with fewer bugs. I don't go boating with the Oregon, and so I've never really used any of the marine features.

3) That's the only way I can confirm it. But because the trip data is never savable, it really can only be compared to the current track, which is what I did to answer your question.

I also commented that I assume you have the 600 configured to reset the trip data when you reset the track data. Because if you don't, they cannot be expected to match. One will have a different set of samples than the other, and will display different values. Especially when total ascent/descent are counters, and not an average.

But these are the screenshots I'm getting:

600_trip.jpg600_triptrack.jpg

Are they routable? The 24K maps are have pretty much the same roads and POIs as City Navigator. Is this now true for the 100K maps?

The 100k maps are still not routable. But they do derive the trail/road data the same way. The latest DVD even includes the Navteq symbol now according to Garmin's website.

Although I will say the Navteq map data is at least 1-2 years old. I'm seeing errors that have been corrected in Garmin's City Navigator maps for at least that long.

I'm not suggesting that anyone test this, but... Does anyone have info/speculation on the long-term scratch resistance of the 600 series screens? Yeah, yeah... put some protection on it, but given the obvious differences in materials used in various models, if these screens are iPhone5-like in hardness, let's say, it would be appreciated.

Some folks mentioned plastic in earlier posts, but capacitive touch screens all use glass to create the correct capacitive effect (using glass in place of ceramics). I can't really tell what exact type of glass it is just from handling it though. Is it one of Corning's impact-resistant glasses like Gorilla Glass? I hope so.

Edited by Kolenka

Hi, I have always used my phone GPS but my new phone screen is no good. I am now looking for a handheld GPS. Do you have to buy separate maps for different areas on top of the cost of the handheld. I have used my phone while caching in America, Iceland, UK and Tunisia and never have to pay for any upgrades on maps.

thanks

It looks like that might be changing with the v5 maps. Hard to tell exactly at this point, and I decided to skip on them. Does anyone have the v5 DVD?

I will say that the experience when you go over the limit is pretty unhelpful. It is easy to miss lack of coverage unless you inspect it personally at the appropriate zoom levels. Which is incredibly time consuming. So I could see how someone could get 6000 tiles loaded and not notice a coverage gap.

Well, hopefully it does change with those new V5 maps. When are those coming out? As for loading all 6000+ tiles on my (now returned) Montana, it will let you do it just fine. And, it wasn't that hard at all to see gaping holes in coverage because they still showed up at pretty decently zoomed out levels.

Well, hopefully it does change with those new V5 maps. When are those coming out? As for loading all 6000+ tiles on my (now returned) Montana, it will let you do it just fine. And, it wasn't that hard at all to see gaping holes in coverage because they still showed up at pretty decently zoomed out levels.

Garmin sneakily released them in January. It's hard to tell with online orders if you will get the V5 maps or not though unless they advertise it. Only seen one place other than Garmin advertise that they have the 2013 Topos. Methinks Garmin doesn't sell them very often.

2) I don't really know how well the marine alarms work, but since the code is built on top of the Montana's code, I'd expect similar behavior, possibly with fewer bugs. I don't go boating with the Oregon, and so I've never really used any of the marine features.

I do not go boating with my Garmin either!

Nevertheless I use Marine alarms in ordinary navigation - it warns me if I am off course and incidentally do not look at the screen (e.g. when my eTrex is in my pocket).

So, kindly ask you to try this "off course" marine alarm when navigating Trackback.

It does not work in etrex 30 at all... maybe will work in Oregon 6xx.

And, thanks for confirmation about altitudes! It seems that they use quite different alghoritm than in eTrex :). In eTrex 30 I always get completely different values of ascents/descents in comparison to Trip computer which makes me dissapointed :(

Edited by wmarek74

No, v5 roads are not routable. The upgrade in road/trail data makes sense though, the old stuff was horrible. I'm going to assume the new Oregon "t" models will come with v5.

Below is some information I retrieved about Garmin's U.S. Topo 100k v.5 maps

-------------------------------

Garmin TOPO U.S. 100K v.5

Version: 5.00

Released: January 2013

Part Number: 010-D1309-00

Maps: 553, sub-files 2204

Outdoor enthusiasts: Garmin mapped every hill and valley for your next great adventure. Now with more detail than ever, this product covers the finer points of the outdoors with topographic maps comparable to 1:100,000 scale USGS maps. It also includes terrain contours, topo elevations, summits, parks, coastlines, rivers, lakes, geographical points and more.

Provides detailed digital topographic maps, comparable to 1:100,000 scale USGS maps.

Includes updated road content, by NAVTEQ (non-routable).

Contains detailed hydrographic features, including coastlines, lake/river shorelines, wetlands and perennial and seasonal streams.

Includes searchable points of interests, such as parks, campgrounds, scenic lookouts and picnic sites.

Provides elevation profile on compatible devices so you can estimate terrain difficulty.

Contains roads, trails and highways in metropolitan and rural areas so getting to your destination is easy by creating point-to-point routes on compatible devices.

Displays national, state and local parks, forests and wilderness areas.

Includes digital topographic maps for the entire U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

Apologies if it's in the thread but haven't seen it yet. Could those that bought the new 600 please comment on the screen brightness/technology compared to the Dakota and former Oregon. I have the Dakota and it is completely different than the Montana's screen. I believe the old Oregon is the same as the Dakota. Is this new Oregon more like the Montana. .. . The old Oregon . . . . .or somewhere in the middle? The screen is really the only thing that bothers me about my Dakota.

Thanks.

www.outdoorsmagic.com Just In - Garmin Oregon 600 GPS

Thanks. The one photo they have next to the old Oregon shows a definite difference in glare . . At least at that specific angle .but can only assume it's more readable generally. Still looks a little washed out and dim. They liked the screen but a little non specific in explanation.

Any other real users comments would be welcome. Thanks.

Apologies if it's in the thread but haven't seen it yet. Could those that bought the new 600 please comment on the screen brightness/technology compared to the Dakota and former Oregon. I have the Dakota and it is completely different than the Montana's screen. I believe the old Oregon is the same as the Dakota. Is this new Oregon more like the Montana. .. . The old Oregon . . . . .or somewhere in the middle? The screen is really the only thing that bothers me about my Dakota.

Thanks.

It's the nicest looking screen I've ever seen on a handheld GPSr. I was out last weekend in the early evening and didn't even have to use the backlight. I think one thing that really helps it is the lack of that extra layer that the resistive touch screens have.

It's the nicest looking screen I've ever seen on a handheld GPSr. I was out last weekend in the early evening and didn't even have to use the backlight. I think one thing that really helps it is the lack of that extra layer that the resistive touch screens have.

Wow. That's quite an endorsement!

Wow. That's quite an endorsement!

Yeah, having had the opportunity to use a Dakota in the past, I can say that there is no contest between it and the Oregon 600.

Kolenka,

Did Ya noticed that difference between Maximum Elevation (602ft) and Minimum Elevation (107ft) is much more than sums of Ascents and Descents???

It seems that now both records are buggy(!)

Be careful not to confuse Trip Data and Track Data (screenshot on the left is Trip Data, right is Tracklog Data). The min/max elevations are recorded in the Trip Data. The Tracklog can be a subset of the Trip Data and does not necessarily reflect the Trip Data. Kolenka could have started/stopped the tracklog at any time during his trip. The data records are not buggy. I've been testing that very thing out over and over again and they are usually within feet of another.

It helps to understand the difference and relationships between Trip Data and Tracklog data before calling them buggy. Kolenka could have turned his GPS on at his house(107ft), drove to the trailhead (250ft), cleared his tracklog and began tracking at 250ft then hiking to 600ft and back down to the trailhead where he saved the tracklog. Making his screenshot calculations just about perfect.

Edited by yogazoo

Below is some information I retrieved about Garmin's U.S. Topo 100k v.5 maps

-------------------------------

Garmin TOPO U.S. 100K v.5

Version: 5.00

Released: January 2013

Part Number: 010-D1309-00

Maps: 553, sub-files 2204

Outdoor enthusiasts: Garmin mapped every hill and valley for your next great adventure. Now with more detail than ever, this product covers the finer points of the outdoors with topographic maps comparable to 1:100,000 scale USGS maps. It also includes terrain contours, topo elevations, summits, parks, coastlines, rivers, lakes, geographical points and more.

Provides detailed digital topographic maps, comparable to 1:100,000 scale USGS maps.

Includes updated road content, by NAVTEQ (non-routable).

Contains detailed hydrographic features, including coastlines, lake/river shorelines, wetlands and perennial and seasonal streams.

Includes searchable points of interests, such as parks, campgrounds, scenic lookouts and picnic sites.

Provides elevation profile on compatible devices so you can estimate terrain difficulty.

Contains roads, trails and highways in metropolitan and rural areas so getting to your destination is easy by creating point-to-point routes on compatible devices.

Displays national, state and local parks, forests and wilderness areas.

Includes digital topographic maps for the entire U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

This is new and interesting. The DVD version requirements state:

This product may be unlocked and used on 1 compatible device (to unlock, simply follow the instructions on the certificate that comes in the packaging). If you want to use this same map on subsequent devices, you must purchase a new map for each device.

Yogazoo,

Notice that Trip odometer 5.38 miles is equal to Track distance (also 5.38 miles).

Also: Moving Avg (Speed) both in Trip computer and Track record is equal to 5 miles/h.

So,Your explanation is incorrect.

I predict altitude measurements as huge bug of this very first release of FW Oregon 6xx :-(

Edited by wmarek74

No, v5 roads are not routable. The upgrade in road/trail data makes sense though, the old stuff was horrible. I'm going to assume the new Oregon "t" models will come with v5.

Someone in-thread already confirmed the 600t does come with the v5 maps (v5.01 specifically). I saw a 600t in the local REI when I was there looking at something else, and also can confirm they come with the v5 100k maps. The missing hydrology data was killer though. I played a bit with the hike area I went to on Saturday and suddenly noticed that a major creek (complete with waterfall) was totally missing from the 100k data. It was probably the most obvious water feature on the entire trip.

Summary: Everything is the same except for the road data being updated to Navteq (City Navigator) non-routable data.

That's what it is looking like.

Thanks.

The screen is glass, and has clarity closer to something like the eTrex. I haven't used a Montana in the field, but it is an obvious leap over the Oregon 450 in clarity in the sunlight. I went for a hike on Saturday where it was raining, and we were in the forest, so daylight wasn't that great. I left the backlight off and never actually had to turn it on. This is with shading turned on (so the background was dark green). I was very pleased with the results of the screen, as being able to leave the backlight off in the field is a great way to draw out the battery life.

Yogazoo,

Notice that Trip odometer 5.38 miles is equal to Track distance (also 5.38 miles).

Also: Moving Avg (Speed) both in Trip computer and Track record is equal to 5 miles/h.

So,Your explanation is incorrect.

I predict altitude measurements as huge bug of this very first release of FW Oregon 6xx :-(

I'll also point out that GPS altitude measurements, and measurements from an incorrectly calibrated barometer are going to do weird things. When your GPS accuracy is in the 10-15m range, your elevation measurements will jump around as well. If this affected the ascent/descent measurements, those two measurements would be worthless. I'd suspect that Garmin is using some sort of rejection filter on the track data for calculating ascent and descent. And that rejection filter is not being used when determining the minimum and maximum. Or even use the map's DEM data when available. In fact, I'd practically bet money on it, since that track in no way was near 600ft or 100ft, but it was indoors at times where my GPS error is high enough to account for that minimum and maximum.

This particular track is mostly me messing around with the device over 2-3 days, and a short trip on a bike. So about half the points are from indoors and basically worthless junk data due to the error involved. The goal was to demonstrate (quickly) that it does actually show the same information for the trip and track data.

I have an actual hike track which has much more sensible max/min values, and ascent/descent values that are much more in line with the topographic data for the area.

I'll take a look at the track data and see if I can confirm my suspicions, but my indoor reception can be terrible on the bottom floor where my PC is. I've seen accuracy in the 300-400ft range often enough that I'd be very surprised if junk data wasn't the reason for the discrepancy... and in this case, having ascent/descent data that is much smaller is the correct result. This isn't real data, folks. Be careful not to jump to conclusions based on a screenshot from a single track without knowing the context in which it was captured.

Edited by Kolenka

What the heck is going on now ?

Q2eE6k1.png

So does that mean people who pre-ordered will get it within 2-5 days or are they completely sold out and no one is getting anything

Usually helps to know which site this is from, but I'm under the impression that supplies are very limited. Some REI stores which had them are clean out by now.

Kolenka,

I'd just like to know if one can trust Trip computer and Track altitudes.

As for now: no confirmation, just very vague records.

Surprisingly, also track records seems to base partly on alghoritm used in Trip computer (most probably pure air pressure based figures) if regards ascents and descents.

Kolenka,

I'd just like to know if one can trust Trip computer and Track altitudes.

As for now: no confirmation, just very vague records.

Surprisingly, also track records seems to base partly on alghoritm used in Trip computer (most probably pure air pressure based figures) if regards ascents and descents.

My GPS track from Saturday is within 10m of the 24k topo map DEM along the whole route (with the same delta consistently throughout the track as well). So it isn't perfect, but it's actually pretty good. I haven't even tried to calibrate the altimeter in this thing with truly accurate data, just whatever auto-calibrate it might have. That track is not the one I took a screengrab of, as it was already saved and cleared out of the current track.

The algorithms have been merged, that's obvious, but keep in mind that ascent/descent refer to a delta in your elevation between two points along a path. If two points aren't connected, can you really determine if an ascent or descent actually took place? This particular track has a lot of gaps it in from being turned off repeatedly since Saturday, so there are a lot of disconnected segments that make up a single track/trip there.

EDIT: I gotta ask, what criteria do you have for being able to trust the data vs not? The very nature of GPS means it is an estimate, at best, so I'm curious how you define "accurate enough" to be trustworthy?

Edited by Kolenka