New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

REI just added a way to pre-order for the 650 - you'll have to get in line behind me, though! :)

http://www.rei.com/product/855743/garmin-oregon-650-gps

Wonder if I should keep my pre-order on Amazon and pre-order on REI too? See which one ships first? I'm assuming REI since Amazon has yet to even get the 600's. My luck though they'll both ship same time and I'll be charged twice :blink:

EDIT: Since you have the 600t, do you know if it comes with the v5 100k Topos released in January?

Thanks for the detailed comments. Nice to know I'm not alone in noticing some of these things. Don't have anything to add.

According to the Oregon 600t "Configure Maps" screen, it has a single "TOPO U.S. 100K v5" map in addition to the "Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR". The TOPO 100K was listed v5.01 in Basecamp Mac.

I added the TOPO 24K West maps as well as a handful of Birdseye chunks on my microSD card. One issue I've noticed is with the TOPO 24K maps and Birdseye on. The Birdseye drops out randomly as I zoom. In other words, I have Birdseye imagery at 800ft, lose it at 500ft scale, and then it randomly reappears at zoom levels 300ft - 120ft. Zooming out and back in sometimes makes it appear if it is missing.

Not sure I care as the Birdseye is very low detail (this is at the "Highest" setting too). I can see your point about it being less helpful in the woods. "Look, trees!"

Wonder if I should keep my pre-order on Amazon and pre-order on REI too? See which one ships first? I'm assuming REI since Amazon has yet to even get the 600's. My luck though they'll both ship same time and I'll be charged twice :blink:

You can always refused delivery of one, if you can catch the delivery man. Posting a sign sometimes works for me. Since they both have free shipping the charge would be fully refunded.

Edited by adrianluff

It will cover the screen, but it won't completely cover the glass front of the 600, which is larger and a different shape.

What's the solution? I saw you mention something about cut to fit...

I purchased a ZAGG screen protector that fit the Samsung galaxy 7 inch tablet. I very carefully cut to fit the entire front screen with a very sharp scissors and a paper cutter (for perfect straight lines). It can be done and it even curves perfectly around the strap opening on the lower right of the screen. You wouldn't have to be as precise to cover most of the screen. You could cut a simple rectangle (round the corners to prevent lifting) to cover where you touch when interfacing. The upside of buying a larger piece of ZAGG material than what you need is that you are left with extra to cover something else.

I just bought the 600t last night at Cabela's. I am having a helluva time trying to figure out how to load caches into it. Nothing lists the 600t yet when you go to choose the GPS you're using. Does anybody know how to do it? I have tried GSAK and EasyGPS.

Just choose any other modern Garmin GPS. They are all the same.

I just bought the 600t last night at Cabela's. I am having a helluva time trying to figure out how to load caches into it. Nothing lists the 600t yet when you go to choose the GPS you're using. Does anybody know how to do it? I have tried GSAK and EasyGPS.

Either one at a time from geocaching.com, or put a pocket query in the GPX folder on the device.

You can load "unlimited" geocaches using GPX files alone. I've got ~50,000 loaded exclusively by GPX files taken from a combination of sources including some local cachers' old pocket queries.

insig, could you tell us something about the speed using 50k waypoints? Is it usable any more? Uploading more than 4k waypoints to my 450t makes it so slow that it is not usable any more, moving the map one inch takes 10 to 20 seconds to refresh the screen (map with less details on internal memory, gpx also stored on internal memory).

I live in berlin, 4k waypoints with my homelocation as center point means driving 15 minutes by car (any direction) and there are no caches on the screen any more :-(

The difference in the build in memory must make some type of difference.

Can anyone explain?

650 - 3.5 GB

600 - 1.5 GB

Can someone post some photos from the 650?

It would be nice to have a more detailed evaluation of the quality and feature of the camera.

As far as I know, the 650's have yet to be released, everyone is still waiting.

Maybe it has something to do with the camera.

Maybe with the camera it needs more internal memory ...

Edited by caf_geo

You can load "unlimited" geocaches using GPX files alone. I've got ~50,000 loaded exclusively by GPX files taken from a combination of sources including some local cachers' old pocket queries.

insig, could you tell us something about the speed using 50k waypoints? Is it usable any more? Uploading more than 4k waypoints to my 450t makes it so slow that it is not usable any more, moving the map one inch takes 10 to 20 seconds to refresh the screen (map with less details on internal memory, gpx also stored on internal memory).

I live in berlin, 4k waypoints with my homelocation as center point means driving 15 minutes by car (any direction) and there are no caches on the screen any more :-(

It's much more responsive than an older Oregon. Responsiveness also depends on what else is being drawn on the screen. There are some maps out there that have insane amounts of detail, and they take forever to draw. I'm running with city navigator US and the basemap. It is definitely an upgrade from a 450. I'd say it is even more responsive than the Montana. Also, if you're using waypoints, it might be trying to draw their names on the map. With geocaches, it doesn't draw the names on the map, so that probably makes it faster.

I downloaded the .gpx file, opened it n Garmin Basecamp (Mac), and dragged the caches over to the Oregon.

Or, it should use the memory card, with space only being limited by the size of the card, like virtually every other digital camera in existence...

... even the digital camera have internal memory. It is used as the primary storage when you take the photos. After that the photos are written to the Memory card. This is why even professional cameras have a limit for fps ( depends on the internal memory ). And sometimes you have to wait some time till the photos are written to the card before being able to take more photos (there are cards faster then others - CLASS 8, 10, etc).

Mental note : I have to by a class 10 card for the garmin!!! :rolleyes:

This is why I was "guessing" the increase in the internal memory.

The "t" in the reference also increases the amount of memory, so I would "guess" that topographic maps also need more internal memory ( like a video card on a PC ).

One thing that I have found, is that different Garmin sites ( different countries ) have different values for the internal memory ( specially the 600t model).

Edited by caf_geo

Garmin bike mount shows being compatible with Oregon 4xx,5xx and 6xx. Does that mean ANY Oregon bike mount will work ? Even one that might be listed for Oregon 500 specifically ?

I have asked in the shop where I usually by my GPSs and they have told me that the GARMIN byke support for oregon is universal. It fits all models.

Nevertheless it would be nice to have a support that would rotate or allow the rotation of the garmin ( landscape or portrait ).

gar09_sup_bici.jpg

Edited by caf_geo

The RAM bike mounts are better and allow a variety of options. I'm sure they will have a cradle shortly. The Garmin bike mount is crap.

hmm I am looking at their page and the only one that I would want - RAP-274-1-GA31U is also using zip ties

I got a mount for my 60CSX that actually uses a screw to hold it in place which makes more sense and it's easily moved

419k5OfrXFL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by gulo

No, you can use any of the clamp options as well. You just need to mix and match parts. I have one on my bike.

oh ok, i see it now

My link

So this one

will do both portrait and landscape but it uses "EZ-Strap".

I prefer thiskind of mount, but it won't swivel.

Either way they seem cheap so I'll probably pick one up

Edited by gulo

On my Oregon 550, I had all of the Garmin TOPO 100k on it. I created the map in 3 sections and renamed the img files. (TOPOEast.img, TOPOCentral.img, TOPOWest.img) Copied the East file to the memory on the gps, and the two other files onto the micro sd card, along with all of the NA City Navigator map.

No problem viewing any of the maps.

I don't think the O600 series will be any different.

And, you're absolutely sure you didn't have any missing areas? Awfully strange that my newer Montana couldn't do it without moving/renaming files around on the card, which required the use of a computer.

I do not think so, but I can't be certain. Since I bought the Southeast 24K maps, I don't have the 100k maps loaded on the gps anymore.

Garmin bike mount shows being compatible with Oregon 4xx,5xx and 6xx. Does that mean ANY Oregon bike mount will work ? Even one that might be listed for Oregon 500 specifically ?

I have asked in the shop where I usually by my GPSs and they have told me that the GARMIN byke support for oregon is universal. It fits all models.

Nevertheless it would be nice to have a support that would rotate or allow the rotation of the garmin ( landscape or portrait ).

gar09_sup_bici.jpg

I use this one.....landscape and portrait :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120817527628

!B3sH7,w!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!h!E)7)Fip8BBMnL!gJ6WQ~~_12.JPG

Edited by anneric

The RAM bike mounts are better and allow a variety of options. I'm sure they will have a cradle shortly. The Garmin bike mount is crap.

Though I appreciate the link love, I have to disagree. I prefer the Garmin mount over the many RAMs I have used. It's quite secure and low profile.

This was my own opinion though... I have used both the Garmin mount and the RAM mount on my mountain bike. I really do not like the Garmin mount.

Though I appreciate the link love, I have to disagree. I prefer the Garmin mount over the many RAMs I have used. It's quite secure and low profile.

This was my own opinion though... I have used both the Garmin mount and the RAM mount on my mountain bike. I really do not like the Garmin mount.

Im with Red90 on this one. I have RAM mounts for my gps and Galaxy S3 on my vehicles and bike.

REI just added a way to pre-order for the 650 - you'll have to get in line behind me, though! :)

That was short lived. Did anyone order and get booted?

I preordered on Amazon on the 11th. Ever since then my shipment date has been "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. " When I email them I get the same response for a customer service rep. They tell me they haven't received any information from Garmin so they have nothing to tell me. For this they upgraded my shipping to one-day free. Still waiting with no confirmed date.

I preordered on Amazon on the 11th. Ever since then my shipment date has been "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. " When I email them I get the same response for a customer service rep. They tell me they haven't received any information from Garmin so they have nothing to tell me. For this they upgraded my shipping to one-day free. Still waiting with no confirmed date.

I called Amazon, yesterday and was told maybe May 16th. Not particularly happy with this. What is Garmin doing?!?

I called Amazon, yesterday and was told maybe May 16th. Not particularly happy with this. What is Garmin doing?!?

Do you have a Cabela's near you? They have them in stock now. Also, I can load caches if I just say it's a 550. Guess gc.com, GSAK and Easygps all need to update.

Edited by gladeslvr & crew

By the time we get them in Europe, I hope you will have sorted all the bugs out!

Amazon UK is saying all variants will be released on the 1st of August, while other retailers are varying from late April (a date that hasn't been updated for weeks) to late May. :mad:

If Garmin want to keep us interested they had better start handing some out for reviewers to report back on or they'll lose sales to their competitors.

Chris

Just wanted to issue a bit of an update since I've been playing around a bit more with a larger memory card in the 600.

The map limits are definitely still the same as with the Montana 6xx and Oregon 4xx/5xx line: 4000 segments total (including the ~500 segments in the 100k maps with the 't' models). And it will only recognize 8 different maps total (including the basemap) as far as I can tell. Custom maps and Birdseye seem don't seem to be part of the 8 map limit.

It also reveals a regression from the current 450 firmware: The 600 is treating each img file as a separate map with separate toggles. The current 450 firmware will see "US West" and "US West 2" as the same map correctly, and provide one toggle.

So for those thinking about 32GB SD cards for this thing, it'll be a bit of a waste on the 600/600t without the camera. The biggest data set I can estimate that is within the 4000 segment limit is about 11-12GB.

And in case this hasn't already been answered, the gasket is pretty much the same as the 450. I would be very surprised if water couldn't work it's way between the unit and the back cover if it got dunked as there isn't anything new or special about the seal vs the 450. It's quite literally just enough to prevent water from getting into the electronics and nothing more.

And, you're absolutely sure you didn't have any missing areas? Awfully strange that my newer Montana couldn't do it without moving/renaming files around on the card, which required the use of a computer.

Are you sure you aren't confusing the 100k and 24k maps? The 100k maps are a single US map of roughly 500 tiles total. The limit is 4000 for the Oregon and Montanas, so it should fit fine on any device.

The 24k maps on the other hand, seem to be around 9000 tiles for the 48 states. That's not going to work at all. And it is one helluva expense.

Edited by Kolenka

yay, LL Bean changed 600 ship date from May 19 to May 10 today....I guess little bit of good news?

I was just at there website checking on my backorder for a 600 and it still shows 5-19 ????

Mystery solved Gulo is on the list ahead of me and will get his first. Lucky guy.

yay, LL Bean changed 600 ship date from May 19 to May 10 today....I guess little bit of good news?

I was just at there website checking on my backorder for a 600 and it still shows 5-19 ????

Mystery solved Gulo is on the list ahead of me and will get his first. Lucky guy.

yay :laughing:

6d2gjRY.png

OK, so it shows 5/10 on the website, but when I pull out my individual order is also still shows 5/19. I presume they just didn't update it ?

Edited by gulo

By the time we get them in Europe, I hope you will have sorted all the bugs out!

Amazon UK is saying all variants will be released on the 1st of August, while other retailers are varying from late April (a date that hasn't been updated for weeks) to late May. :mad:

If Garmin want to keep us interested they had better start handing some out for reviewers to report back on or they'll lose sales to their competitors.

Chris

I am in the UK and received mine on Tuesday of this week from Go Outdoors, complete with 1:50k OS maps. It arrived just in time for 2 weeks of hiking and sea kayaking in Scotland :-)

image.jpeg