New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

Any word, i.e. in a more comprehensive manual, on microSD capacity?

I don't have any microSD cards bigger than about 8GB, and the manual says zilch about it. It is at least an SDHC slot, which should mean up to 32GB. Don't have an SDXC card to test with though.

I assume that overlapping/disappearing proximity circle issue still exists.

Create two waypoints and set the proximity circles so that one is larger than the other, but both circles will overlap each other.

Zoom in so that one of the waypoints goes off screen...does that waypoints proximity circle disappear?

Create two waypoints and set the proximity circles so that one is larger than the other, but both circles will overlap each other.

Zoom in so that one of the waypoints goes off screen...does that waypoints proximity circle disappear?

The proximity circle dissapears if the waypoint that is being used is off the screen. This may be on purpose to keep screen clutter/confusion down if there is no reference/proximity point visible on the screen.

The 600 is a very stable unit. I haven't experienced any crashes yet. My Montana crashes on me quite frequently with a lot of interface.

I managed a crash playing with creating waypoints from the map screen already (tapping to place them). Not sure if I'll be able to hit it again.

The proximity circle dissapears if the waypoint that is being used is off the screen. This may be on purpose to keep screen clutter/confusion down if there is no reference/proximity point visible on the screen.

Most likely.

It would be nice if the GPS could do it, but have a configuration option whether it disappears or not.

It causes problems for caches that require you to find a cache at one of the two points of intersection.

The older, non-paperless units can do it.

I end up using my smartphone app to determine the intersects or have to go back home and use BaseCamp.

Another thing that jumped out at me... the trip information now automatically resets when you clear/save the track and start a new one. This bugged me about both the eTrex and the 450. I wonder if it can be disabled for those that like the old behavior though. In my case, I definitely prefer the trip odometer and trip times to represent the track that I'm currently recording, not some random thing I keep having to remember to reset.

Another thing that jumped out at me... the trip information now automatically resets when you clear/save the track and start a new one. This bugged me about both the eTrex and the 450. I wonder if it can be disabled for those that like the old behavior though. In my case, I definitely prefer the trip odometer and trip times to represent the track that I'm currently recording, not some random thing I keep having to remember to reset.

I personally like the Trip Data and Track data separate. In my mind they are two separate things and I don't always want to reset the Trip Data when I clear a tracklog. Sometimes I track segments of my trip and I'd prefer to have both available. Question: Why don't you use the "Track Distance" field in your trip computer to monitor the track distance?

I personally like the Trip Data and Track data separate. In my mind they are two separate things and I don't always want to reset the Trip Data when I clear a tracklog. Sometimes I track segments of my trip and I'd prefer to have both available. Question: Why don't you use the "Track Distance" field in your trip computer to monitor the track distance?

That's not even an option on the Oregon 450. :(

Kolenka, it is now. :)

Hmm, it is in the 600... I'm still looking to see how you can get the old "don't auto-reset the trip odometer when resetting the track" behavior which would make that option a bit more useful. I'm not seeing it.

That makes me think having both a track distance and trip odometer is pretty redundant if they are tied together like that. I wonder if the trip odometer keeps recording when you pause the track.

EDIT: Day one update from 2.30 (in-box) to 2.60. Huh.

Edited by Kolenka

WOW!!! Navigating/Routing on foot is a dream. The compass now works properly and points to segments along the route and when you pass that segment it continues to point ahead along the path. No more stuck compasses that point you in the wrong direction. It's very smooth and works perfectly. In fact it's difficult to find something that needs addressing in a software update. Indeed this unit appears to have garnered more attention to it's software before the release. Dare I venture to say that this is the best functioning unit, release software wise, since before the Colorado. Kudo's Garmin!!!

Remember to run the WebUpdater when you get it!

Edited by yogazoo

Kolenka, it is now. :)

Hmm, it is in the 600... I'm still looking to see how you can get the old "don't auto-reset the trip odometer when resetting the track" behavior which would make that option a bit more useful. I'm not seeing it.

That makes me think having both a track distance and trip odometer is pretty redundant if they are tied together like that. I wonder if the trip odometer keeps recording when you pause the track.

EDIT: Day one update from 2.30 (in-box) to 2.60. Huh.

Kolenka, with v2.60 you CAN sever the Trip Odometer/ Trip Data recording from Tracklog operation.

Track Setup => Advanced Settings

1366424853.jpg1366424937.jpg

The "Recorded Data Reset" setting is for when you save a tracklog you can choose whether to reset trip AND track data or if you want prompted to choose which (or both) to reset. Another well thought out setting.

Edited by yogazoo

All Setup Options. The big difference is the "Accessibility" setup which allows you to choose how sensitive the touchscreen is (High, Normal), How big the text is in the review screens(geocache descriptions, FIT/track reviews, Waypoint review, etc), and an option for "Scroll Controll" which gives you arrows on the cache description page and allows you to quickly scroll down with a convenient 1/2 second long pause after each page scrolls by. Just long enough to grab keywords with your eyes. Very Nice!

Oh, and the Fitness setup. See post below.

1366425739.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

Track Setup. You can now record Garmin FIT logs as well as GPX logs. Also notice the "Auto Start", "Auto Pause" options. These two options work VERY nicely. No more spider-webs adding to your track distance when you stop for a bit. Super awesome!

1366426208.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

Are the dashboards similar to the ones on the eTrex 20/30?

Track Control Dashboard

1366427040.jpg

Fitness Dashboard

1366427104.jpg

Satellite Dashboard that switches between two options when pressed. This may already exist in some models. I was in my basement so the sat bars are low.

1366427250.jpg1366427286.jpg

The rest are variations of existing dashboards

Edited by yogazoo

Kolenka, with v2.60 you CAN sever the Trip Odometer/ Trip Data recording from Tracklog operation.

Track Setup => Advanced Settings

Yup, noticed that after I updated, but had some things to take care of so I couldn't post. The behavior makes a lot more sense now. Guess someone reported that one during beta.

That said, I am running across crashes with 2.3 and 2.6. The easiest one to reproduce is one in the 3D map tool. Use the arrows to get to the edge of the rendered tiles, and I get a crash 100% of the time with the Garmin 24k topo and Northwest Trails maps.

Loving the auto-pause myself, other than the fact that it beeps every time it does it.

Edited by Kolenka

Two things.

1) No more sticky issue. As far as I can tell so far this has been eliminated.

2) GLONASS is freaken awesome! It's so nice to have 24 sats instead of just 12. Very sensitive and tracks very well on tracklogs. Very smooth (no apparent drifting or bouncing) and seemingly very accurate tracklogs.

And just one more. I remember how the Montana would never recalculate when walking off-route. It never seemed to figure out you were off course when moving at walking speeds. The Oregon does recalculate and it seriously navigates flawlessly using the compass screen (compass points you forward along your route or to your destination (destination if Direct Routing). Navigating while walking and using the compass screen (or dashboard on the map screen) is really the best I've ever seen.

Edited by yogazoo

That said, I am running across crashes with 2.3 and 2.6. The easiest one to reproduce is one in the 3D map tool. Use the arrows to get to the edge of the rendered tiles, and I get a crash 100% of the time with the Garmin 24k topo and Northwest Trails maps.

Loving the auto-pause myself, other than the fact that it beeps every time it does it.

You should send your "system.xml" file (located in your Garmin folder) to OregonBeta@garmin.com. It will give them details about your crash which will help them to fix it. That said, I can't think of ever doing what you described. :)

EDIT: I've done what you described and can't get my unit to crash.

I'm actually glad it beeps. That lets you know audibly when the track pauses and starts again which is very good to know. You can disable that in the Tones setup menu (I'm pretty sure).

Edited by yogazoo

Is there any advantage to FIT format over GPX if you don't use any accessories such as heart rate monitor, etc.?

I'm not sure, I haven't used it yet for anything outside of the GPS. You can review FIT data on the GPS. Here is what that looks like. I didn't have my Heart Rate monitor on when I recorded it so I'm not sure if heart rate data will show if recorded. The new Oregon seems to accommodate the fitness crowd more than any handheld outdoor unit previously released.

1366428787.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

Like the Montana, Garmin custom vehicles can be used on the new Oregons. Notably the default location indicator is a very small blue arrow. You can go to the Garmin garage and grab your favorite vehicle to use on it! Also, the map speed can be set to Normal or Fast. Fast mode works great when moving. The processor on the Oregon 600 is VERY fast!

If you have any tracks that you've chosen to show on the map it will now be highlighted with the color you chose for the track on the left hand side of the entry in Track Manager. So if you have multiple tracks saved in the track manager you can scroll through the list and visibly see which ones are shown on the map and what color they are just by scrolling down the list. Another very thoughtful feature.

I just have to say again that I'm beside myself at the apparent maturity of the software (v2.60). They must have had this one cooking for a while. I seriously can't find any flaws, odd behavior, or glitches. Everything works as it's supposed to and it works very well. I'm sure a few things will come to light eventually but I remember every release since the Colorado as an early adopter and I remember a lot of frustration having flawed units for months. I'm no Garmin fan-boy, I've torched them in the past for releasing units with half cooked software BUT the release of the Oregon 6xx series finally breaks from that reputation.

Edited by yogazoo

Hi I've been following this topic for a while as I'm looking to buy a GPS because the battery on my iPhone doesn't last long enough. I notice a while ago that this unit used a different file type than the one (.gpx?) that geocaching uses. Is this true? How easy is it to upload caches to it and is there a good guide? Being my first GPS I'm a bit nervous about investing and then struggling to use it. I don't use gsak or any other caching software than geocaching.

Thanks

Hi I've been following this topic for a while as I'm looking to buy a GPS because the battery on my iPhone doesn't last long enough. I notice a while ago that this unit used a different file type than the one (.gpx?) that geocaching uses. Is this true? How easy is it to upload caches to it and is there a good guide? Being my first GPS I'm a bit nervous about investing and then struggling to use it. I don't use gsak or any other caching software than geocaching.

Thanks

Thanks

It does use the .GPX format (as well as others). It will be just as easy to use this unit as it is to use previous models. Just download the GPX (geocaching.com or opencaching.com) and place into your GPX folder.

It does use the .GPX format (as well as others). It will be just as easy to use this unit as it is to use previous models. Just download the GPX (geocaching.com or opencaching.com) and place into your GPX folder.

I'm waiting for my 650 to be released and delivered (waiting rather eagerly since reading the reviews you and Kolenka have been good enough to post).

Is the directory structure essentially the same as the one used in previous models, specifically the Oregon 5xx series? If so, it will make for a smooth transition for folks like me who use GSAK to manage their cache information.

--Larry

There is a new battery option in the battery type selection menu (to increase the accuracy of the battery meter). There is "AA Alkaline", "NIMH", and now "Pre-Charged NIMH" (Sanyo eneloops, etc). The battery meter, using any type of battery, is very accurate. Another previous thorn in early adopters sides. Not with the Oregon 6xx.

I'm assuming that when you use the battery pack the GPS senses it and the options disappear.

I'm waiting for my 650 to be released and delivered (waiting rather eagerly since reading the reviews you and Kolenka have been good enough to post).

Is the directory structure essentially the same as the one used in previous models, specifically the Oregon 5xx series? If so, it will make for a smooth transition for folks like me who use GSAK to manage their cache information.

--Larry

Hi Larry, I don't normally use GSAK so I'm no help there. I did load an old Pocket Query from geocaching.com and it worked as expected. I'm going to guess it will work the same. The only variable is the ggz format which I haven't seen anywhere yet (none come with the unit). Perhaps it's on it's way and the new Oregon 6xx will be compatible when it arrives. So far though, every old GPX file works as expected.

--Larry

Hi Larry, I don't normally use GSAK so I'm no help there. I did load an old Pocket Query from geocaching.com and it worked as expected. I'm going to guess it will work the same. The only variable is the ggz format which I haven't seen anywhere yet (none come with the unit). Perhaps it's on it's way and the new Oregon 6xx will be compatible when it arrives. So far though, every old GPX file works as expected.

As long as GPX files are stored in M:\Garmin\GPX (M: being the drive letter for the unit), GSAK users shouldn't have any problem.

As far as the so-far-hypothetical ggz format is concerned, I'll bide my time and see what happens. I never became involved with Garmin's caching site, so unless either Groundspeak or GSAK begins using the format, it doesn't matter to me.

--Larry

How accurate is the temperature reading?

Like on the 450, the temperature reading only works with the temperature sensor (which I don't have). Can't imagine that'd it be any better/worse than the small sensors you find for things like the Honeywell/Acurite temperature devices available.

How accurate is the temperature reading?

Like on the 450, the temperature reading only works with the temperature sensor (which I don't have). Can't imagine that'd it be any better/worse than the small sensors you find for things like the Honeywell/Acurite temperature devices available.

Then where is it pulling the temp data from in your screenshots?

The temperature readings in my screenshots are from my Tempe Sensor. It's accurate, stores the min/max data on the sensor itself so you DO NOT have to be running the GPS to obtain the min/max data. It connects via the ANT wireless protocol. For $25 it's a great accessory, well thought out, and worth the money.

ADDED: I also wanted to point out that the Tempe, even though the manual says it's minimum reading is -4F will go lower. I've recorded -12 this past winter. Probably a battery thing but not a limitation of the sensor itself.

Edited by yogazoo

If you have any tracks that you've chosen to show on the map it will now be highlighted with the color you chose for the track on the left hand side of the entry in Track Manager. So if you have multiple tracks saved in the track manager you can scroll through the list and visibly see which ones are shown on the map and what color they are just by scrolling down the list. Another very thoughtful feature.

I am very interested in the improvements made to track and waypoint management, being somewhat frustrated by the number of button presses it takes on my 62st to do what I want... make visible, change color, view on map, view track length, etc. Are some of these options quickly available from this Track Manager screen?

I am very interested in the improvements made to track and waypoint management, being somewhat frustrated by the number of button presses it takes on my 62st to do what I want... make visible, change color, view on map, view track length, etc. Are some of these options quickly available from this Track Manager screen?

Schweady, The new "Current Track" screen addresses every one of your concerns. On the 6xx, Garmin has re-invented how you control and manage your current track. Vastly improved and vastly more user friendly. You can take a look at my screen shots in my previous posts but you can control ALL of your current track options from one screen with ONE tap.

The Track Manager (managing multiple recorded tracklogs) is much better as well. Garmin has gone to a "toggle switch" for many of it's configuring options. So for example when you're choosing to enable or disable various maps (Map Setup Menu) you no longer have to go in and choose "Enable", rather you tap the switch from the main screen and move along. They use the "toggle switch" on many of the track management and current track options. One thing that does concern me is how the unit sorts the saved tracklogs. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to how their sorted. You'd think the one you just saved would show up on top of the list, not in every case. I've sent an email to the beta team about this so I would expect it to be corrected shortly (since there isn't much else to be addressed). It's not really a big deal unless you have a ton of tracklogs saved.

((EDITED TO ADD: I STAND CORRECTED - Garmin has added a Sorting Menu to the Track Manager Screen (v2.60). I totally missed it. The sorting works like a charm! WOOT!))

The toggles aren't even available on the Montana series and that is one reason why the Oregon 6xx is more advanced from a user interface standpoint than the Montana.

I'll post some detailed screenshots of the "Current Track" screen and all of it's various options a little bit later today or tonight.

Again, I've been using the heck out of the 600 and still have not found any major concerns, issues, nor have I gotten it to crash since updating the software to v2.60. Impressive, I think Garmin finally got the memo.

Edited by yogazoo

I have a question regarding this gps unit. What is the advantage of having the built in camera and would it be worth the increase in price? I'm actually leaning toward the 600 and buying any additional maps I would need. Thanks for your help and I look forward to the replies.

"Current Track" options and screens: You can see the buttons along the top which takes you to the following screens.

Controls:

1366483106.jpg

Options/Info:

1366483154.jpg

Map (shows the entire tracklog):

1366483212.jpg

Elevation (regardless of the Altimeter plot setting it will show you the elevation of the current track).

1366483247.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

Track Manager Menu: Loaded up some older tracks from another unit (Montana).

Main Screen: Tapping on the menu button on the lower right allows you to sort your tracks by 1) Alphabetically, 2) Most Recent, and 3) Nearest your Current Position.

1366483598.jpg

Main Screen, scrolled down (shows you tracks "Shown on Map" with color to the left. Again, tracks recorded earlier on a Montana.

1366483674.jpg

Specific Track Info-- When you tap on a specific track.

Options/Info: The gold star, if disabled (tapped on) moves the tracklog to "Archived Tracks". In the Archived Tracks menu enabling the golden star moves it back into the main tracklogs list.

1366483471.jpg

Map (shows entire tracklog):

1366483509.jpg

Elevation:

1366483553.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

I have a question regarding this gps unit. What is the advantage of having the built in camera and would it be worth the increase in price? I'm actually leaning toward the 600 and buying any additional maps I would need. Thanks for your help and I look forward to the replies.

I have a 650 on pre-order. When that ships I'll be bestowing the 600 to my daughter. I decided to go with the 650 (eventually) due to the better camera, camera flash, and LED flashlight. I will use the LED flashlight for night-time navigation, flash for night-time pictures, and the increase in pixels will give me better photos. I use my GPS for field use at work and having the improved camera taking geo-referenced photos is important for me. The flashlight is GREAT since I always forget to either grab my dedicated flashlight or forget to load it up with fresh batteries. BUT it depends on your own personal use. You should decide for yourself if the above benefits would benefit you.

Several more hours of configuring and accessing menu's and I simply cannot find an issue, bug, concern, whatever you want to call it and believe me, I'm trying to find one. If the Oregon 600 never get's another software update it will be fine with me. For once, I don't feel like a beta tester upon product release!

I look forward to hearing from other early adopters. Kolenka, did you perform a hard reset after you upgraded to v2.60? If not you probably should just to clear all any beta residual stuff out.

Edited by yogazoo

Very nice, yogazoo. Are archived tracks still counted in the unit's upper limit? Does the same feature exist for waypoints? How about creating groups/folders for tracks or waypoints (and allowing sorting by group)? Wishful thinking?

Waypoint management has had some great improvements. You can view a list or groups of waypoints to review based on symbol, spelling, or a waypoint near: a recent find, a waypoint, current location, or map point. Once you have your list you can also sort the entire list by nearest and alphabetical. The selection and review options are enough to easily find any waypoint you might be looking for regardless of how many waypoints you might have. Your "wishful thinking" is mostly realized on the Oregon 6xx.

Batch deletion. If you select "delete" while on the Waypoint Manager main screen (with all of the waypoints listed) you are then given the option of scrolling down the list or finding waypoints from the sort options above. You can then choose each waypoint by tapping on it which highlights a triangle on the right hand side. A tally of the number of waypoints you've chosen for deletion is shown along the top. Once you select all the waypoints you want to delete, all you have to do is tap the red delete button at the top. A heck of a lot easier than having to go into the info screen for each waypoint and hitting delete from there.

As for upper limits, I'm just not sure without hitting the limit myself. Give me a few days. :)

Edited by yogazoo