New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

And I'd like to point out that I was right about the first reviews coming from overseas (where there is no FCC). :rolleyes:

I'm a bit late to the party with this post, but couldn't let it go unchallenged. The process for EMI/RFI testing in Europe, required to get your CE mark and sell there, covers everything in the FCC testing for the same. In fact, the CE test covers a tiny bit of additional spectrum below a point where the FCC isn't interested. If you've performed the requisite testing for a European CE mark, you've already done the testing necessary for self-certification for FCC. Further to that, there is immunity testing required in Europe that isn't required here, making the entire testing cycle even more rigorous in Europe.

so this page already shows bunch of issues, wonder who is submitting those ?

Also sucks to see basic stuff like USB storage mode is failing

That's not a good sign. Yikes! that's not piddling little stuff that's failing either, according to those wiki posts. I've been thinking of cancelling my pre-order of this device for a couple of weeks now due to cost, Montana glitches that still aren't fixed 16 months later, and well, just simple lack of need at the moment. I think my decision has just been made.

I'm curious why the FCC delay. Is this their first Bluetooth GPS?

Yes. Nobody has ever sold a Bluetooth GPS in the USA.

Providing we're talking handheld, that's true. If you're talking automotive, it's been around for ages.

I was being VERY sarcastic. There are tons of Bluetooh GPS...

That's not a good sign. Yikes! that's not piddling little stuff that's failing either, according to those wiki posts. I've been thinking of cancelling my pre-order of this device for a couple of weeks now due to cost, Montana glitches that still aren't fixed 16 months later, and well, just simple lack of need at the moment. I think my decision has just been made.

If ANY of Garmins newer units can be used as an indicator it will be almost a year to a year and a half before this unit can be bought and not give you fits right out of the box.

I waited a long time to buy a 450 and later a 62S and still bought a few months too early.

There is really no reason to believe the 600's will get held up at the FCC. I can't though for the life of me figure out why Garmin is waiting until the last minute to submit.

As for the issues, well, we all know Garmins track record of new releases. For whatever reason newly released units have had barely useable firmware on the ship date but the biggies get resolved quick followed by the rest over the next year or so. I know that some minor yet annoying quirks still exist in the Montana for example but it's a pretty solid unit.

I'm looking forward to plenty of new features that'll show up in the new Oregon. One on the hardware side will be the capacative touch-screen. I'm looking forward to increased responsiveness and quicker screen redraws. Tick tock, time will tell but in general Garmin puts enough features in newer models to make the upgrade worthwhile for most.

There is really no reason to believe the 600's will get held up at the FCC. I can't though for the life of me figure out why Garmin is waiting until the last minute to submit.

As for the issues, well, we all know Garmins track record of new releases. For whatever reason newly released units have had barely useable firmware on the ship date but the biggies get resolved quick followed by the rest over the next year or so. I know that some minor yet annoying quirks still exist in the Montana for example but it's a pretty solid unit.

I'm looking forward to plenty of new features that'll show up in the new Oregon. One on the hardware side will be the capacative touch-screen. I'm looking forward to increased responsiveness and quicker screen redraws. Tick tock, time will tell but in general Garmin puts enough features in newer models to make the upgrade worthwhile for most.

thanks, reading all the other replies I am ready to cancel my pre-order. I had 2 garmin GPS units over last 7 years and never had any issues

Same philosophy here... I returned my Montana 600 for a full refund and will wait to see how this Oregon shakes out. My 60CSx is doing just fine. Like it has been for many years...

I didn't wait very long after the release of the Oregon 450 to make my purchase and I've only updated the firmware twice, after waiting to see what sort of issues people would have with the various upgrades. Haven't upgraded the firmware in about 2 years now. I've settled with it as-is and have no real complaints.

I figure the 6xx units will be fine for 90% of what people want to do with them. To me, the issues as raised so far aren't show-stoppers.

Interesting letter from LL Bean, dated March 7, regarding my Pre-Order of this unit:

"we regret to inform you the item you requested, listed above, will not be available for shipment. We apologize for the unforeseen circumstances that resulted in our need to cancel your backorder"

Looks like LL bean was reading my mind! Oh well. Don't really want it that much anymore anyway.

It should be noted that the Oregon 650T is still listed on Bean's website with an availability date of March 31st. Perhaps it is their policy to cancel backorders lasting longer than one month, since it was about one month ago that I submitted the pre-order.

If ANY of Garmins newer units can be used as an indicator it will be almost a year to a year and a half before this unit can be bought and not give you fits right out of the box.

I waited a long time to buy a 450 and later a 62S and still bought a few months too early.

Its interesting to see that the Oregon 600 Wiki that reported these bugs has now deleted them all, and is now reporting the firmware as v2.0 (Pre-production). So hopefully the production units will be significantly better than we've been fearing?

Chris

And to support my earlier post explaining the lack of manuals yet, the pdfs included in the approval documents only show the basic safety instructions leaflet and a draft quick user guide without any pictures!

Chris

This might be a little premature but does anyone know if the 600 series can PROGRAM Chirp devices? I bought a Montana 650T for use as a handheld plus motorcycle GPS but was really bummed that I could only read Chirp but not program the little buggers. I've since sold the motorcycle and Montana (and have the 60CSx up for sale in the garage). The new Oregon's have me cheering but it would be a shame if the $550 device couldn't program Chirp. It's not a dealbreaker though.

This might be a little premature but does anyone know if the 600 series can PROGRAM Chirp devices? I bought a Montana 650T for use as a handheld plus motorcycle GPS but was really bummed that I could only read Chirp but not program the little buggers. I've since sold the motorcycle and Montana (and have the 60CSx up for sale in the garage). The new Oregon's have me cheering but it would be a shame if the $550 device couldn't program Chirp. It's not a dealbreaker though.

apparently it can

Chirp

apparently it can

Chirp

Oh man! Can't wait to get this thing!

I have a Montana 650t and was able to program my Chirp just fine.

There were no menu settings on mine to program, only read. I wonder if that was added in a firmware update after I sold it.

Looked at the changelog for the firmware and don't see anything. I probably just missed something. back to the Oregon topic...

Edited by lensgrabber

Has anyone considered that one reason for the delay, aside from the FCC approval, could be to work out as many issues in the unit software as possible before release? One of the biggest criticisms of Garmin over the years has been that they release new units before they're software is done cooking. My guess is that they're aware of this criticism and have taken steps to mitigate this bad reputation.

Another thought, dedicated GPS units are no longer competing against other GPS manufacturers. Outdoor Handheld GPS units are now competing against smartphones instead. Smartphones will now drive innovation in the Handheld GPS market. Garmin isn't stupid and it would surprise me if the new Oregon line wasn't a giant leap forward in terms of what it can do and how you can use it. I sold my Montana 650 and will be among the first in line to see how far Garmin will push these new units to have a substantial edge over smartphone navigation. I for one am very excited.

Has anyone considered that one reason for the delay is that Garmin's product releases are almost always delayed, at least if you measure by the original availability estimates from online resellers? Announce early, ship eventually. It's been that way for many, many product releases.

Has anyone considered that one reason for the delay is that Garmin's product releases are almost always delayed, at least if you measure by the original availability estimates from online resellers? Announce early, ship eventually. It's been that way for many, many product releases.

I have considered that. :rolleyes:

Has anyone considered that one reason for the delay, aside from the FCC approval, could be to work out as many issues in the unit software as possible before release? One of the biggest criticisms of Garmin over the years has been that they release new units before they're software is done cooking. My guess is that they're aware of this criticism and have taken steps to mitigate this bad reputation.

You are what I like to call an 'optomist'.

Nothing wrong with that.

Another thought, dedicated GPS units are no longer competing against other GPS manufacturers. Outdoor Handheld GPS units are now competing against smartphones instead. Smartphones will now drive innovation in the Handheld GPS market. Garmin isn't stupid and it would surprise me if the new Oregon line wasn't a giant leap forward in terms of what it can do and how you can use it. I sold my Montana 650 and will be among the first in line to see how far Garmin will push these new units to have a substantial edge over smartphone navigation. I for one am very excited.

I am also excited about this new direction in handheld GPSr from Garmin.

I can't wait to see the revised Montana!

The key innovations, in my oh so humble opinion, are (A) Battery Life + easily changed batteries ( B ) Rugged construction.

When I head off into the great wide open spaces I have about 8 pair of charged NiMH AA cells with me. I'm not going to run out of power. Nope! Nope! Nope!

When I've been out in a kayak I'm quite certain my tethered Oregon isn't going to go >Spelunk< into the briny depths and can just be hosed off after the adventure, to remove any residual brine. I don't think I'd take a phone out there for this purpose.

I'm not sure how that is, as:

I have an Oregon 650 in my possession with more than 30,000 GPX caches loaded, and have no reason to doubt that it will index the number Garmin suggests.

From this thread that I questioned suggests somebodies getting them. Or maybe not?

His name is Roomer Hazzitt, mebbe? :ph34r:

Edited by DragonsWest

I can not at liberty to disclose any specific information yet, but I want to warn those thinking about buying any other GPS for geocaching, you really might want to wait until after you see an Oregon 6xx in action, and then make your decision. Just sayin'.

Edited by BMW JEDI

I can not at liberty to disclose any specific information yet, but I want to warn those thinking about buying any other GPS for geocaching, you really might want to wait until after you see an Oregon 6xx in action, and then make your decision. Just sayin'.

what about those who already pre-ordered 600 for geocaching ? Are we in good shape then ? :laughing:

what about those who already pre-ordered 600 for geocaching ? Are we in good shape then ? :laughing:

Well, it's the first day of Spring ... you know, when a young cacher's fancy turns to thoughts of a new GPSr. :wub:

I can not tell you how much you will like it, or not. But I can tell you I am very impressed.

Hey everybody. Those of you that are wanting to pre-order the Oregon, LLBean has the 650T up on their web site. I just saw the "SPRING10" coupon code that takes 10% off the entire order. I just did a pre-order for $494.10 shipped. It's not going to be available until May but saving fifty bucks is worth a mention. Sale shows good until the 25th.

Cheers,

Robert

Hey everybody. Those of you that are wanting to pre-order the Oregon, LLBean has the 650T up on their web site. I just saw the "SPRING10" coupon code that takes 10% off the entire order. I just did a pre-order for $494.10 shipped. It's not going to be available until May but saving fifty bucks is worth a mention. Sale shows good until the 25th.

Cheers,

Robert

Here's hoping they don't cancel on you.