New Geocoin: Graffiti Gator

jpbarr

Hi all looks like my latest geocoin design is coming out quicker than I thought, as it is already open for reservations on CacheAddict.

Graffiti Gator

2atf00755s011.jpg

dsc02845p.jpg

There are 3 versions, Gold, Nickel & Black Nickel

I will add info as I get it :)

Edited by jpbarr

Got ours reserved, thank you!!

The only thing we don't like is the 'graffiti' reference ... since in many of our areas today 'tagging' and 'graffiti' are synonymous. Dealing with gang and/or drug oriented graffiti all over our community and personal property walls and fences is NOT desirable (imo).

Cute gator though ... :anitongue:

The only thing we don't like is the 'graffiti' reference ... since in many of our areas today 'tagging' and 'graffiti' are synonymous. Dealing with gang and/or drug oriented graffiti all over our community and personal property walls and fences is NOT desirable (imo).

This was a theme that was asked for by CacheAddict but I enjoyed creating the back. I understand your point of view and unfortunately tagging and gangs are a major problem but graffiti art is an amazing skill and I have to take my hat off to the fantastic artwork the artists can create. This is the side I wanted to show. :)

This was a theme that was asked for by CacheAddict but I enjoyed creating the back. I understand your point of view and unfortunately tagging and gangs are a major problem but graffiti art is an amazing skill and I have to take my hat off to the fantastic artwork the artists can create. This is the side I wanted to show. :)

I have to agree , there is some amazing skill that goes into graffiti art - tagging is just not the same thing and I hate it.

You have to also realise that graffiti has been used to do good in some urban areas. Workshops have been set up which use this art medium to connect with kids and engage them in a way that they enjoy, removing them from the streets and giving them some else to focus on rather than gangs and drugs.

It sounds to me a bit like the parents in the 80´s blaming heavy metal for their kids behaviour...or football(soccer) being blamed for hooliganism. If you banned football the hooligans would start going to cricket matches(or some other sport) and causing the same problems, if you banned heavy metal satan worshippers would start playing Chopin backwards and find some hidden meaning in it... you get my gist?? Don´t blame the art.....

I love this coin and I will have to have one :)

I have to agree , there is some amazing skill that goes into graffiti art - tagging is just not the same thing and I hate it.

You have to also realise that graffiti has been used to do good in some urban areas. Workshops have been set up which use this art medium to connect with kids and engage them in a way that they enjoy, removing them from the streets and giving them some else to focus on rather than gangs and drugs.

It sounds to me a bit like the parents in the 80´s blaming heavy metal for their kids behaviour...or football(soccer) being blamed for hooliganism. If you banned football the hooligans would start going to cricket matches(or some other sport) and causing the same problems, if you banned heavy metal satan worshippers would start playing Chopin backwards and find some hidden meaning in it... you get my gist?? Don´t blame the art.....

I love this coin and I will have to have one :)

First ... note that I posted that I reserved ours ... :smile:

I also noted that just the use of 'graffiti' makes the art synonymous with tagging and the artwork on this itself seems (without seeing the actual coin) to reflect mostly the aspect of graffiti style words (i.e. 'tagging'), not the 'art' aspect.

Along the lines of your comments... it's also important not to honor the kids' 'bad behavior', and should not honor hooliganism. OK... maybe 'Graffiti Gator' is a catchy phrase for the coin, but Graffiti Art Gator might have been more appropriate to honor the 'ART', not just the tagging style wording on the coin. Way too easy to misinterpret or associate in ways not originally intended.

Soapbox [/off] ... back to our originally scheduled coining ... :D

Edited by nevadanick

it's also important not to honor the kids' 'bad behavior', and should not honor hooliganism. OK... maybe 'Graffiti Gator' is a catchy phrase for the coin, but Graffiti Art Gator might have been more appropriate to honor the 'ART', not just the tagging style wording on the coin. Way too easy to misinterpret or associate in ways not originally intended.

... or how about Graffiti gARTor? Or Art the Graffiti Gator? :)

NevadaNick - first off - I was not attacking you like you seem to imply and I am sorry if I caused offence. I was just trying to point out that, A:there is a huge difference between tagging and graffiti art pieces and, B: that artwork associated with bad elements does not make the art bad.

I am not quite sure what you mean about honoring bad behavior as I never said anything that would condone bad behavior at all.....and certainly nothing that would honor hooliganism!! very confused about that to be honest and a little offended...

FYI - "tagging" is a quick sprawl,sometimes done by a single colour spray can, but more often a large tipped marker pen. It is usually done on buses, trains, public phone boxes etc in a guerilla style. In my opinion tagging has no artistic merit at all...

NevadaNick - first off - I was not attacking you like you seem to imply and I am sorry if I caused offence. I was just trying to point out that, A:there is a huge difference between tagging and graffiti art pieces and, B: that artwork associated with bad elements does not make the art bad.

I am not quite sure what you mean about honoring bad behavior as I never said anything that would condone bad behavior at all.....and certainly nothing that would honor hooliganism!! very confused about that to be honest and a little offended...

FYI - "tagging" is a quick sprawl,sometimes done by a single colour spray can, but more often a large tipped marker pen. It is usually done on buses, trains, public phone boxes etc in a guerilla style. In my opinion tagging has no artistic merit at all...

This isn't the place for an 'offended' discussion. Take it to e-mail if you want to, but I'm not likely to reply.

I only explained my position based on the accepted definitions worldwide through responsible dictionaries about 'graffiti' and in reply to your definitions posted of the same issue.

I love this gator. It's well-designed and playful. The graffiti medium is a beautiful art. I don't understand how artists paint using an entire building as a canvas with spray cans. Hopefully this teenage gator will grow up into a respectable graffiti gator and make a good living painting for people. Everyone has made valid points, but in the end this is a good looking coin. I enjoy reading how a coin can spark such a lively debate, or rather an expression of varied opinions. No reason for it to become personal.

I was only offended by someone twisting my words around to make it seem like I was condoning hooliganism, still a little confused by that, but rather than back up his claims he has now chosen to state he will ignore me even if I email him, so I guess he can´t back it up at allll. I was not trying to antagonise or offend, but it seems that sometimes it is impossible to not cause offence unless you are willing to bend to another´s view.

The graffiti medium IS a beautiful medium when it is done correctly. Having researched both youth groups using this medium, and some well known Graffiti artists themselves, I know how amazing it is to watch a true graffiti piece come together. Unlike tagging, the process can take hours or even days to complete and the finished results can be breath-taking.

Some of the events that I have attended have been real eye-openers, in terms of both the skill and techniques used and the diversity of the artists. I have met graffiti artists that are head school teachers, social workers and even lawyers!

This coin is well designed and the colours are awesome too. Props to the designer on getting a great balance between something that is graffiti based and something that will appeal to the general cacher too.

Well, it has been interesting reading everyone's comments and I thank you all for your compliments but please lets keep this about the coin and not a personal slamming match.

At least you all agree that it's a cool coin design B)

I am hoping it will sell well as I would really like to see it with it's own icon :)

Well, it has been interesting reading everyone's comments and I thank you all for your compliments but please lets keep this about the coin and not a personal slamming match.

At least you all agree that it's a cool coin design B)

I am hoping it will sell well as I would really like to see it with it's own icon :)

I added a few to the reservations. I work as a Tech Director at a school and the mascot is a gator. I have quite a few teachers and students out looking for tupperware. B) This is perfect!

-- Joe

Edited by JoenSue