Multi State Cache Run - Looking for Recommendations

BBWolf+3Pigs

Greetings Tennessee and Kentucky from New England!

A small group of us are planing a trip a bit west (of us anyway) to do some caching between Nashville and Cincinnati in late March (with the goal of grabbing TN, KY, IN, OH). We are looking for cache recommendations, good places to eat & drink, and anything else that might be worth a stop for. We are time limited, so long hikes are out (and one of the group is recovering from a nasty leg injury, so long hikes are out anyway). We like scenic caches, history, clever hides. As far as food, we like to find the places where the locals eat (BBQ is always a favorite option). This is in no way a numbers run - one physical cache per state is the goal - anything after that is gravy.

Our basic plan (always subject to updates) is:

- Arrive BNA ~11am Saturday 23 Mar

- Head north and stop at one of the Bourbon Trail distilleries (Jim Beam is the likely stop), doing caching as necessary

- Overnight in Cincinnati, enjoying some Sky Line Chili for dinner

- Start heading back towards Nashville on Sunday, perhaps stopping at another distillery (recommendations?) and Mammoth Cave NP for a short tour

- Overnight in Nashville

- Monday spend some time in Nashville caching and sight seeing, and maybe lunch as Big Bad Wolf Grill (for obvious reasons) for BBQ. Unless there's a better place that's recommended

We would also like to host an event where we can get a chance to meet some of the locals. Caching isn't as much as fun as when you meet other cachers! So, we are looking for suggestions for a place where we can get together for drinks in the evening (Cinci on Sat. and/or Nashville on Sun.).

So, any help, suggestions, recommendations etc are definitely appreciated. Hopefully if we do host an event we can meet some of you!

Thanks - BBWolf et. al.

[edit: date correction]

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Can't help much on the caches but I can say that when you are in the Cincinnati area you should try to eat at Skyline for sure, also try to hit either Haufbra House in Newport or Valley Vineyards in Mason. As for the Bourbon Trail, I would recommend hitting Makers Mark over Jim Beam, far nice place to visit. It is also near the birth places of Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis.

Can't help much on the caches but I can say that when you are in the Cincinnati area you should try to eat at Skyline for sure, also try to hit either Haufbra House in Newport or Valley Vineyards in Mason. As for the Bourbon Trail, I would recommend hitting Makers Mark over Jim Beam, far nice place to visit. It is also near the birth places of Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Jim Beam was chosen as an option for two reasons: 1) It's close to the route 2) There's a cache there. However, we will look at the route and how much time the alternate route adds.

The Haufbrauhaus looks like a great place for a meet & greet! Beer, wurst & dirndls - love it!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Jim Beam was chosen as an option for two reasons: 1) It's close to the route 2) There's a cache there. However, we will look at the route and how much time the alternate route adds.

The Haufbrauhaus looks like a great place for a meet & greet! Beer, wurst & dirndls - love it!

Looked at MAker's Mark distillery. It is now on the list. Turns out here's a cache right there as well!

We've only cached through Nashville, can't give you much advice as it's outside our stomping grounds. We did enjoy the webcams and virtuals around Vanderbilt.

At first I thought you were talking about the Gerst Haus in Nashville. Either way, if you were looking for places in Nashville, the food and beer there are pretty good, and it's family friendly enough for an all ages event.

Monell's is also outstanding, great Southern food served family style. We went for both dinner and brunch the last time we were in town.

I find these regional forums to be pretty quiet. So yes, you'll probably get better results through local groups, either through group websites (see the sticky post at the top of each regional forum) or Facebook.

Might also just want to find a cacher or two in each area and contact them directly.

Good luck, and have a great trip.

I find these regional forums to be pretty quiet. So yes, you'll probably get better results through local groups, either through group websites (see the sticky post at the top of each regional forum) or Facebook.

Might also just want to find a cacher or two in each area and contact them directly.

Good luck, and have a great trip.

I found two for the Nashville area - but the most recent post for either was almost a year ago!

This thread has been viewed by 230 people - I find it hard to believe that so few people (2!) have any suggestions for people traveling through the area!

Must do Nashville caches:

Rebirth of a Bridge really nice at night.

GeoMojo #6 hope that Joe gets it fixed in time for your visit.

Johnny's Cash be sure to wear black

Pack a Lunch or dinner depending on the time of day.

Also check out the type stack at this location. You can almost have an icon busy day at this one spot if you plan carefully.

As far as event venues, why not search out places where the locals have hosted events in the past year or two?

Most of the places I have had good eats there are too small for an actual event.

Second the recommendation of the Gerst House if you like German.

The Pharmacy is a fun and different kind of place. Old timey soda fountain drinks, great burgers, interesting beers and a lovely garden setting out back.

Glazee Ice Cream is worthy of a detour if you're on that side of town.

Edited by wimseyguy

Must do Nashville caches:

Rebirth of a Bridge really nice at night.

GeoMojo #6 hope that Joe gets it fixed in time for your visit.

Johnny's Cash be sure to wear black

Pack a Lunch or dinner depending on the time of day.

Also check out the type stack at this location. You can almost have an icon busy day at this one spot if you plan carefully.

As far as event venues, why not search out places where the locals have hosted events in the past year or two?

Most of the places I have had good eats there are too small for an actual event.

Second the recommendation of the Gerst House if you like German.

The Pharmacy is a fun and different kind of place. Old timey soda fountain drinks, great burgers, interesting beers and a lovely garden setting out back.

Glazee Ice Cream is worthy of a detour if you're on that side of town.

Thanks. Rebirth of a Bridge was on our list already. Looks like a good one to do at night. I'll look at the others, and likely add them to our "short list".