Multi State Cache Run - Looking for Recommendations

BBWolf+3Pigs

Greetings Ohio & Indiana from New England!

A small group of us are planing a trip a bit west (of us anyway) to do some caching between Nashville and Cincinnati in late March (with the goal of grabbing TN, KY, IN, OH). We are looking for cache recommendations, good places to eat & drink, and anything else that might be worth a stop for. We are time limited, so long hikes are out (and one of the group is recovering from a nasty leg injury, so long hikes are out anyway). We like scenic caches, history, clever hides. As far as food, we like to find the places where the locals eat (BBQ is always a favorite option). This is in no way a numbers run - one physical cache per state is the goal - anything after that is gravy.

Our basic plan (always subject to updates) is:

- Arrive BNA ~11am Saturday 23 Mar

- Head north and stop at one of the Bourbon Trail distilleries (Jim Beam is the likely stop), doing caching as necessary

- Overnight in Cincinnati, enjoying some Sky Line Chili for dinner

- Start heading back towards Nashville on Sunday, perhaps stopping at another distillery (recommendations?) and Mammoth Cave NP for a short tour

- Overnight in Nashville

- Monday spend some time in Nashville caching and sight seeing, and maybe lunch as Big Bad Wolf Grill (for obvious reasons) for BBQ. Unless there's a better place that's recommended

We would also like to host an event where we can get a chance to meet some of the locals. Caching isn't as much as fun as when you meet other cachers! So, we are looking for suggestions for a place where we can get together for drinks in the evening (Cinci on Sat. and/or Nashville on Sun.).

So, any help, suggestions, recommendations etc are definitely appreciated. Hopefully if we do host an event we can meet some of you!

Thanks - BBWolf et. al.

[edit: typos & date correction]

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

LOL, I was just checking my calendar and you had Sat March 26th and on my calendar that was a tuesday. But you corrected it between the time I first loaded the page and the time I posted.

Anyway how do you feel about a couple tagging along for one or two days of your adventure?

Edited by rayt333

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=62bab2b7-9558-4129-a84a-b0b24baaa1a3

GC55E Falls of the Ohio Placed 3/25/2001

One of the Oldest active caches in Indiana.

Just across the river from Louisville, KY

Short walk down a trail at the Falls of the Ohio State Park. $2 parking fee. Worth it if you look around the area, this is an exposed Devonian fossil bed area in the middle of the Ohio River. The fossil bed may be under water during high river conditions. They also have a history museum building (not sure of cost to enter for out of state visitors).

Additional information can be found at this DNR website: http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2984.htm

Edited by kayak-cowboy

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=62bab2b7-9558-4129-a84a-b0b24baaa1a3

GC55E Falls of the Ohio Placed 3/25/2001

One of the Oldest active caches in Indiana.

Just across the river from Louisville, KY

Short walk down a trail at the Falls of the Ohio State Park. $2 parking fee. Worth it if you look around the area, this is an exposed Devonian fossil bed area in the middle of the Ohio River. The fossil bed may be under water during high river conditions. They also have a history museum building (not sure of cost to enter for out of state visitors).

Additional information can be found at this DNR website: http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2984.htm

Thanks. We only need to dip into Indiana, and the recommended area looks pretty nifty.

Any food suggestions in Louisville?

Since I am not getting many responses here, are there are local forums I should be posting to?

I haven't been on there myself in a while, so I'm not sure how active it is, but OKIC (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana Cachers. Based out of the Cincinnati area) has a forum. Also, if you have a Facebook account, OKIC is farily active there.