REI containers?

The official "Lock n Lock" brand are known in the community to be the most reliable food/cache containers. We have had two out for over 18 months and they are holding up really well.

The dollar store versions are not as good. The seal wears out faster (if it really works at all) and the plastic handles break more readily.

REI eCycle lunch containers might be what you're talking about?

Don't know anyone who's tried them outdoors, but a few at work say they're awesome for being spill proof.

I'm not sure they have the flex that would be needed for sitting out the Winter, but who knows? Some plastics become quite brittle.

I'm not about to ask, " Hey, when you're done can I borrow that for a week or two?" though. :laughing:

If no one has tried them, might be worth it to product test these a bit.

- Another to add to the yay or nay list.

I haven't tried them, so I can't offer any legitimate input. But I did have a thought toward cost assessment when comparing them to Lock & Locks. REI claims to have a fabulous, no questions asked, never terminating, return policy. I'm not sure how true that is, as I don't have a local REI, and I try not to buy stuff when I can't put it in my hands and poke it a bit.

I have had friends tell me they have returned items to REI long after the expected fail date, and received new items with no hassle.

If that is true, perhaps the REI eCycle boxes could be deployed, and when Momma Nature finally gets around to killing them, (as She no doubt will, given sufficient time), the owner could disable the cache long enough to get replacements? At $9.00 for the large, it would need to go through several cycles of breakage/repair to come close to being financially viable.

70a4d84b-d34c-4f8a-9d2b-fed2d0f160bd.jpg?rnd=0.6398169

I realize they cost more than lock n locks, but I have yet to find a local place that sells lock n locks, and I can order them online, but was just wondering about these in the case I needed/wanted a box and to buy it then, rather than wait for an order to come through the mail. however, I guess there are waterproof boxes as well, I could use one of those...those also aren't cheap, so it doesn't really matter (cost wise) which I'd go with. Just wondered if anyone knew these would hold up over time, so I'd know, but if not...I'm not sure I'd go ahead with them.

I like LnL's. The cheap knockoffs are...well cheap. The other ones I've tried don't hold the paint as well. I've used containers similar to what's in the picture and don't like them. Something like that if one "locking part" fails the whole lid could come off-with a LnL 2 locks could fail and you still end up with the same thing in your pictures.

I realize they cost more than lock n locks, but I have yet to find a local place that sells lock n locks, and I can order them online, but was just wondering about these in the case I needed/wanted a box and to buy it then, rather than wait for an order to come through the mail. however, I guess there are waterproof boxes as well, I could use one of those...those also aren't cheap, so it doesn't really matter (cost wise) which I'd go with. Just wondered if anyone knew these would hold up over time, so I'd know, but if not...I'm not sure I'd go ahead with them.

Well, I guess you'll just have to be our guinea pig :) Please let us know how they work out!

I have some large old metal food storage chests/ice chests with lock down seals that I keep thinking I might use. My friend uses the old wide mouth thermoses. They have nice tight seals on them (not the ones with glass linings). Sometimes you can find the thermoses inexpensive at secondhand shops (salvation army) and rummage sales.

Do you have a Target store in your area?

Various "Dollar" stores sell a cheap version of the box. If you pay one dollar and it lasts a year, that is not so bad.

I think anything with a plastic hinge will break faster.

I got a brand name lock and lock and it only held up for two years. I replaced it and the new one was leaking within two years.

REI does sell boxes for geocaching that probably hold up better.

I agree with not abusing their return policy. It drives prices up and is not within good integrity.

I know these days integrity is no longer a priority in our culture but it is to me.

I got a brand name lock and lock and it only held up for two years. I replaced it and the new one was leaking within two years.

REI does sell boxes for geocaching that probably hold up better.

I agree with not abusing their return policy. It drives prices up and is not within good integrity.

I know these days integrity is no longer a priority in our culture but it is to me.

I get the part about driving prices up, sorta.

Though REI would have to try pretty hard to make their prices any higher.

Not sure I grasp the integrity angle though.

If I sell you a chrome plated, left handed whozit, and I post that there is a lifetime warranty on the product, regardless of the reason for the failure, does integrity play a role in it if you choose to take me up on my warranty? I could totally agree if the warranty was limited, as most warranties are, and you fibbed about how the chrome plated, left handed whozit failed, but in this hypothetical case, like REI, I was the one who made the rules. If you run your chrome plated, left handed whozit through a wood chipper, and return the pieces because my company said no exceptions on the warranty, I'm not seeing that as unethical.

Lock & locks are cheaper at the grocery store and hold up nicely. A lot of the items at REI are overpriced.

If I bought the REI stuff I'd probably use it for camping. Geocaches go through all manner of punishment so Ammo boxes or Lock n Locks are often my choice. Though I do like those Therapak medium canisters - need to get some more of them.

Good spot to watch for deals on Lock & Locks is woot.com, nothing on there this morning, but they seem to have bargains on them from time to time.