Are these caches appropriate?

So I own these two caches:

- http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d4d63968-07bf-4143-8f9c-ad25caf383f5

- http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1292d06d-8702-49ad-8a43-1970f4c9f15e

Yes, they have been published for a long time and have had multiple finds... but I'm not sure if I should keep them available or if I should disable them. The reason behind this is because one is in a cemetery and one is at a shopping centre that can be fairly awkward to find without looking suss.

I would love your thoughts and let me know if you think I should disable them.

Thanks!!

I would love your thoughts and let me know if you think I should disable them.

Other than some minor maintenance issues, the logs are positive. I don't see any problems with either cache. Are you intending to archive them?

I won't put a container at a cemetery, but I might direct people to a particular grave, if I someday find a historical figure. Coords would lead elsewhere. I've found actual containers at graves, that seems rather common, and sometimes it's a little more hands-on than I'd expect (the need for lifting barrier stones or whatever). It seems like yours isn't on a grave.

Cachers can decide whether to hunt the shopping center one. It's just a matter of picking a time when I'm not crawling over people to get to the container. That one seems to be hidden in a creative way.

On your caches, do you see a cacher name you recognize, someone who's a caching veteran whose opinion you'd appreciate? You might ask them, since they've seen the hide.

My caching buddy and I enjoy cemetery caches. The ones in this area that we have found usually have the cache on the edge of the cemetery. One multi cache in a small town near here has the cacher gathering info off of several soldiers graves, dating back to the Mexican war, located in three cemeteries to find the final which is not at a cemetery. We also have a lot of Pioneer cemeteries that are located along rural roads, surrounded by farmland. Usually located on hills the site gives you a panoramic view. These have head stones dating back to the 1840's when the area was first settled. I see nothing wrong with a cache on the periphery of the cemetery. You can learn alot of the local history in a cemetery if you take the time to read the head stones.

I dont see anything wrong with them,

but YOU as a CO are free to do what ever you like,

if you feel they are not that good as you like them to be,

fine arc and make a few new and better ones :-)

just no need to arc before you are ready with new and better stuff.

Some CO also develop or just change their own taste of how their own caches should be,

fine, monor changes are cool to do, but if you change alot, then better to arc and create a new one

I have done several caches in cemetaries. Not a problem IMHO. Never found one ON a grave, but somewhere nearby. Kinda hard to hide something on a flat marble slab. Public areas need more careful planning. There's always some time when it can be done. I did one this year that was on a bench at a local ice cream shop. Had to go in the middle of winter, when the tables were put away and the ice cream muggles were sipping hot cocoa.

Having found both of those caches I can say the cemetery one is not disrespectful in my opinion. It showed me a cemetery I never would have visited.

I struggled with the shopping centre one and I'm not a fan of such hides but no one makes me look for them.

Plenty of worse hides out there that need archiving!

I really don't like the idea of a cache in or around a cemetary. The exception of course are the ones abandoned or highly remote and seldom visited. I would never approach a cemetary at all if someone was visiting a loved one. It is a disrepectfull place to be playing a game. It truely amazes me how curious alot of folks are about cememtarys.

I feel like highly visable caches are a bother to the community who may want to call the police. If I see words like high muggle area, i will not go there at all. I personally found it a bother to have to come back later when no one is there.

All of my comments are pure opinion - I like the caches with a hike and an interesting place to visit without bothering a sole.

Ultimately, you make the decision yourself, but if there's nothing wrong with them and people like them, there's no "game" reason to archive them. If people don't like them, they don't have to find them. Both cemetery and parking lot caches have their critics and detractors, but ultimately they're "allowed" (that is, under the presumption that adequate permission is granted as per the agreement when publishing - whether that's an explicit "ok" from a land owner or general allowance of public access in that manner)

So, for that shopping center one, if you feel you want to archive it, that's your choice. But I'd avoid doing it simply by opinions expressed here. It's enjoyed by finders and positively commented, so barring your own preference, I don't see a reason for archival.

But that's just me :)

Ultimately, you make the decision yourself, but if there's nothing wrong with them and people like them, there's no "game" reason to archive them. If people don't like them, they don't have to find them. Both cemetery and parking lot caches have their critics and detractors, but ultimately they're "allowed" (that is, under the presumption that adequate permission is granted as per the agreement when publishing - whether that's an explicit "ok" from a land owner or general allowance of public access in that manner)

So, for that shopping center one, if you feel you want to archive it, that's your choice. But I'd avoid doing it simply by opinions expressed here. It's enjoyed by finders and positively commented, so barring your own preference, I don't see a reason for archival.

But that's just me :)

Well, no one is telling him to do it. He's just reading a few opinions, and making up his own mind, I'm sure. I notice he actually uses the phrase "cache for the sake of a cache", and there is a currently bumped thread of that same name. I remember when I first started, I thought people were suppposed to "trade" for travel bugs, and there were indeed cache pages that told you (supposedly they're no longer allowed) that you should leave one if you take one. The first time I ever saw a dissenting opinion, I'm like "heck yeah, TB's are made to travel! Why would you want to trade for them?" What makes this case any different than my revelation way back then?

I'll answer my own question, it's the perception of someone with a lame cache being bullied by meanies. Nonsense, I say. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Yep, a lot of what I said was just echoing what's already been said... just voicing the position I support, nothing new.

I'm glad with TBs that you don't have to trade up!

Man... That's a great TB in this 6 month lonely cache. Wish I had a better one to leave in its place... oh well, maybe better luck with the next finder!

Actually that happens a lot with TBs anyway... :P Rule of thumb: Never drop a TB in a rarely found cache. :blink: /strollingofftopic

I'd prefer that the shopping center be further away from the shops. Multi-level car parks are tough unless you give away the level or you put it one the roof. In America, IMO it's better to put them away from where other cars are parked so muggles don't think you are looking to break into cars. The cemetery cache is fine.

In our own country there aren't many caches at cemeteries, so our first finds where while we were on vacation in the U.S.

Before having found any of them I wasn't sure what to think of caches in cemeteries. But since we have found some I can only say positive things about them. The caches were very different, some had waypoints at the cemetery and the cache outside, some were at the cemetery but not near the graves. But we also found one in a fake flower next to grave.

All were done very respectful, with clear information to make sure cachers wouldn't search at locations where it's inappropriate.

But the most remarkable thing was how it changed my perspective on cemeteries. I always found them a bit creepy, sad and lonely. I can't remember ever visiting one. And maybe they still are a bit lonely, but walking around the cemetery gathering information it didn't feel like that any more. It felt right, it wasn't not just a place to grieve but also a place to keep memories, stories etc. amongst us all as well. I never realized how beautiful a cemetery can be until we found geocaches there.

Last year we found a geocache at a cemetery in our own country as well, for the first time. It was winter time, wiping off the snow of some grave stones to read the inscriptions, it really felt right. Death is part of living, and as long as you don't offend any people who visit their loved ones, I think caches can change a sad lonely place, into a place that makes you think and embrace with love and interest (if done respectfully of course!).

I hope I explained my feelings right, without offending anyone. It's always more difficult to explain feelings in another language.

I have found your shopping centre cache and I thought the clue really helped to pinpoint the location of GZ. It was then a fairly easy find. I think what you said in your note on the cache page about permission is important. Like others have said, no one forces you to hunt for a cache. I have walked away from many caches where I didn't feel comfortable. In the end, as the CO, it is up to you to do what you think is best.

There is a Mystery / puzzle cache in a garden of remembrance attached to a cemetery close to where I live. I was a bit hesitant to do this one, but once I arrived at GZ I found a beautiful little garden, where people are encouraged to visit, sit or wander around. I have never had a problem with graves or graveyards, I think they are fascinating places to learn a little history of the area. But I was concerned about the 'game' aspect of geocaching. But on reflection it makes sense, as a player I take pleasure from where the CO has taken me. I don't charge around the location, tearing up the place searching for a little plastic box, I enjoy the location, sometimes learn from it.

I'm afraid to say I haven't solved this one yet as the day I stopped by it was incredibly cold and think I got my sums wrong. I'm planning on going back in the spring once the garden starts to spring into life.