Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hayabusa

Japan is NE from Germany?!?

Hi, folks. Today I pointed my eTrex to Tokyo just for fun. I'm in Germany (N 52 E 7) and Tokyo is at N 35 E 140. So why the heck does this eTrex point to north east icon_confused.gif ? Isn't it supposed to point to south east, because the latitude of Tokyo is smaller that that of Germany?

Sorry for being off-topic. I thought, this forum would cover ham radio and GPS, not "ham_radio && gps", if you know what I mean. icon_frown.gif

Isn't that what they call the "great circle route"? Supposed to be the shortest distance....wait a minute, that is for airplanes. Never mind..

Patti and Matthew McKenna, Watsonville California

Garmin 72

quote:
Originally posted by McKenna Family:

Isn't that what they call the "great circle route"? Supposed to be the shortest

Thanks. That pointed me to a good article on the Wikipedia. It's bizarre but I guess you (any my eTrex) are right. Wikipedia writes that the shortest path on two points on a sphere lies on a great circle which is the largest circle that can be drawn on a sphere. The "direct" route is longer. icon_eek.gif

Wow. That is slick. I know from my amateur radio days on HF about great circle paths, but didn't think the GPSr would be built rigorously enough to compute great circle.

Plotting a course from "Yankshire" to Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and looking at the map on my GPS72 proves otherwise. Likewise, the compass points me at 43 degrees, as it should.

But then again, it makes sense. One of Garmin's major profit centers is aircraft navigation.

Hmm. My GPSr doesn't like me very much when I try to scroll on the map to the North Pole. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by flossmoor:

Hmm. My GPSr doesn't like me very much when I try to scroll on the map to the North Pole. icon_biggrin.gif

Garmin trying to keep you from sneaking off and seeing your girlfriend Olga? icon_biggrin.gif

That's interesting, I noticed some Travel bugs that came from the UK at 51°N., to Los Angeles at 34°N., went north-west, according to the GC.COM site. When you fly from the UK to Los Angeles, you leave London going NW on the Great Circle route, so the GPS might also be using the same routing data(?)

Go get gcmwin and be prepared to be educated!

It prints an equidistant map based on your location. It's amazing to see what is nearer and what is further than you expect. And what direction it's really in.

We just get used to looking at mercator projections and make a lot of assumptions.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Stu

GCMWin looks like it would be an interesting program, but after looking into it, and seeing that it requires VBRUN300.dll, I decided that I'd have to take a pass. VB3 was hard enough on my Win95 machines back in the day, and I don't want to pollute my WinXP with that DLL just for that.

I prefer to pollute my computer with more modern garbage. icon_smile.gif

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

Not sure if you are joking, being sarcastic, or what. If you are being serious....

I'm not familiar with the program in question, but as I recall from working with programs that required the older VBRUN???.DLL files, you don't need to install anything at all if you are so paranoid. Just copy the VBRUN???.DLL in question into the same directory as the .EXE file that requires it. Of course, this means the .DLL will only be available for that particular program.

To be honest, it's not the VBRUN files I've ever had problems with. The file I've seen cause DLL Hell most often is MSCVRT??.DLL.

Scott

quote:
Hi, folks. Today I pointed my eTrex to Tokyo just for fun. I'm in Germany (N 52 E 7) and Tokyo is at N 35 E 140. So why the heck does this eTrex point to north east ? Isn't it supposed to point to south east, because the latitude of Tokyo is smaller that that of Germany?

Take a small globe and a piece of rope and you will notice that the shortest line from Germany to Japan will indeed go in the North East direction. icon_wink.gif

http://geogerard.geocacher.nl/

http://geogerard.geocacher.nl/

Even if you don't download gcmwin, you can see that the map on the homepage is centered on, fortunately for us, Germany.

And you can also see that Japan is indeed north east from there. And Alaska is almost due north.

What fun!

Stu