Searching Coordinates in Geocaching App for Android

Mart9012

I've seen this answered for iPhones but the interface is clearly different.

So I've solved a puzzle that gives me the coordinates for the actual cache hiding place. So I want to just enter the coordinates into my Geocaching.com's android app. Can't see how. I could use an alternative app but it seems odd that I can't just do this using the proper app.

It may be I'm being a numpty here...

I've seen this answered for iPhones but the interface is clearly different.

So I've solved a puzzle that gives me the coordinates for the actual cache hiding place. So I want to just enter the coordinates into my Geocaching.com's android app. Can't see how. I could use an alternative app but it seems odd that I can't just do this using the proper app.

It may be I'm being a numpty here...

For my Android phone, I use NeonGeo. With that app, all you have to do is input the coordinates into the cache page's "Personal Cache Note". NeonGeo will update the coordinates of the cache for you.

For the GC.com app, if you update the coordinates on the cache page (internet page), will the app update the location?

From the cache you have selected, click "Navigate to", and select Compass.

Press Menu, select "Destination".

Click "Add Waypoint" and edit the fields.

From the following "Select destination" menu, select the waypoint you created.

Follow the compass.

I've wondered this for a while and was even put off from doing a puzzle cache hunt until I found out. Thanks for this!

Hi, this is my first post and I am new-ish to GC. Signed up as a premium member because I love this game.

I do however, need some help - and would appreciate any suggestions...

I use both the geocaching.com web site and an Android smart phone with the Geocaching App installed. The App is good because I can log found it immediately and search etc whilst out playing.

The difficulty I have is with the GC's that require you to solve a puzzle. I have solved my first puzzle this morning, whilst at my PC logged in via the website. Success from the checker - all good, then I updated the coordinates using correct these coordinates on the cache web page.

My challenge is that there does not seem to be any sync between web page cood and App cood on my smart phone, therefore the cache on my phone shows the wrong location.

I have tried the send to my phone button but that takes me to a page requesting me to 1. start the app, 2. enter the GC number and search; which I did on my phone. Once I pressed the send to phone button at the bottom of the web page it returned "Server was unable to process request. ---> User does not exist."

Any help would be appreciated..!

select a geocache , use map function , not compass , menu -add waypoint- , punch in waypoint , then back to compass -menu- -destination- select waypoint. done.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mollysam, although I guess this is kind of a work around. Hopefully the App will improve its functionality.

select a geocache , use map function , not compass , menu -add waypoint- , punch in waypoint , then back to compass -menu- -destination- select waypoint. done.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mollysam, although I guess this is kind of a work around. Hopefully the App will improve its functionality.

There are threads devoted to the applications. You can view them further down the list of active forum topics. Suggestions have been made to make the changing of coordinates for multi and unknown caches an easier process.

This request, however, hasn't seen an update in a while. I would hope it could be an easy enough thing to add to the app, but what do I know? I've never written an app for a smartphone! :anicute:

Hope this helps.

Thank you for putting this so simply. As a newbie I have been tearing my hair out trying to find out how to do this!

The functionality of adding a waypoint in order to find a multi is the same for phones as it is for a dedicated GPSr.

The added waypoint does not "become" the cache, it is only a waypoint that must be navigated to. A "Found It" log (after locating the final waypoint) would then be placed from the original cache page/listing -- not from the final waypoint itself.

The "how-to" is different with each app. Although directions to using the app(s) seem a bit difficult to locate -- I have not yet found a how-to manual for any of them.

How-to directions regarding entry of coordinates/creating a waypoint are available for iPhone and Android apps in the Groundspeak Help Center. I guess that Windows users are on their "own".... at least, I have never found any true directions on how to use it.

iPhone: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=416

Android: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=417