Premium membership

KyotoUK

Hi All,

I am new to Geocaching and just started today. As it's free i decided to sign up to premium as it's very cheap and i have already had 4 hours of fun with it. Anyway now for the qestions:

- If i look at the map on the website how can i tell which ones are Premium finds or does it just display the premium ones with the public ones?

- I use the app on my iphone, i am guessing their is some way of saving a list of caches on the pc and then they display on my saved list on my phone?

- Can i log my find on the move? today we had to write all the codes down and then do them on the PC.

- Why do people create premium caches? do they contain better things etc...

that's it for now, sorry for the questions it's just i have to know everything about something when it's new.

Hi All,

I am new to Geocaching and just started today. As it's free i decided to sign up to premium as it's very cheap and i have already had 4 hours of fun with it. Anyway now for the qestions:

- If i look at the map on the website how can i tell which ones are Premium finds or does it just display the premium ones with the public ones?

- I use the app on my iphone, i am guessing their is some way of saving a list of caches on the pc and then they display on my saved list on my phone?

- Can i log my find on the move? today we had to write all the codes down and then do them on the PC.

that's it for now, sorry for the questions it's just i have to know everything about something when it's new.

Welcome to the game!

By now, I hope you have taken some time to get acquainted with the geocaching.com website, and some of the FAQs and forum topics that can help you get started. Take time to read through them carefully. There's a lot of information, and all of it is very helpful. My #1 recommendation is to go to an event, find a local cacher, get to know them, and spend some time learning about the game.

Geocaching 101

Geocaching in 2 Minutes video

The "Knowledge books", which reads like a user's guide to all things geocaching.

The "Getting Started" forum topic

Now, to try to answer your questions.

If you look at the map, be sure the tab is open on the left for a key. You can see which are "Premium Member" caches (often called PMO caches here in the forums)

b5e31eeb-c4bf-48a8-99a1-a46b631ad3b3.jpg?rnd=0.04652047

If it is an application for smartphone you are viewing, it depends on which app to know what the PMO caches look like. In a list, they appear with a circle around them in the official Geocaching.com app. On the map, they appear as normal markers until you "click" on them to see the circle icon around the cache type.

Yes. These are called "Pocket Queries". In the site's menu bar, hover on My Profile-> click Pocket Queries. You can learn more about being a Premium Member here.

Yes. Most (all?) phone applications can log caches in the field. To make it truly real-time, you will want to have an internet service link. (3G, WiFi, etc). Some apps also let you save "Field Notes" which can be saved as logs when you have data service available. This link will have more info for you about apps and use.

For many reasons. Some of it has to do with each individual's reasoning, which usually includes better trade item quality (not always true), limited visitation (which is usually true), the ability to "audit" those that look at the cache's listing online via standard web-browsers, and more. Really, it comes down to wanting to give something special to those that pay to support Geocaching.com with their membership fees. That can mean lots of things, but comes down to the individual.

I hope this all helps! Enjoy the game!

-NS

Thanks for the swift reply, that helps me out quite a bit and I will take some time to read through some of your links.

With regards to the premium locations, I am looking on the map on this site, its a shame there is not a different icon for premium locations without having to click each one or am I missing something

With regards to the premium locations, I am looking on the map on this site, its a shame there is not a different icon for premium locations without having to click each one or am I missing something

Premium Member Only caches display with a round icon instead of a square one. In the screenshot in NeverSummer's post, you can see some examples at the bottom of the "Filterable Cache Types" section.

Edit: I see you figured it out as I was typing.

Edited by The A-Team

Thanks for the swift reply, that helps me out quite a bit and I will take some time to read through some of your links.

"Premium locations" What do you mean?

Premium caches -PMO Premium Member Only caches- are shown as circles on the Groundspeak maps.

Other caches are square icons.

Too slow!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi All,

my husband just upgraded my membership to premium for Christmas, so I was eager to visit some of these exclusive caches, thinking they would be extra special. I have to say after finding a few, I was not really impressed. most were not as nice or in better locations than the non premium caches and I really didn't understand why they were listed as such. not to be ungrateful , I guess I was just expecting something amazing. For me, I plan to keep any I hide open to all to find. makes it more fun if everyone can find them, imo.

Thanks for the post, I have to be honest I was expecting the same not looking for crystal glasses but something other than Xmas cracker toys. I think post boxes start with good stuff but it gradually gets diluted over time.

Lets see how things go

The key to cache swag quality is to carry a well-stocked swag bag. Swag is for trading, not taking. So be sure to trade up, trade even, or don't trade at all.

When I first started to cache, I went out and bought a bunch of stuff ranging from new, in box hotwheel cars, to unopened decks of cards, some $5 gift cards to local establishments, etc. What goes around comes around.

However, as caches get visited more and more, there are more and more people who take and don't trade properly. So, I rarely trade anymore. But when I do, I don't take unless I can trade properly. That's the only way to keep swag quality "on the up".

Thanks for the post, I have to be honest I was expecting the same not looking for crystal glasses but something other than Xmas cracker toys. I think post boxes start with good stuff but it gradually gets diluted over time.

Lets see how things go

I think it helps (it did for me) to try to improve the game any way you can. When it comes to swag in a cache, I always leave something better than I take, and most of the time I just leave things and take nothing. A lot of caches experience swag degredation over time.

If I find a cache really lacking, I will leave several different items. I have had kids with me on occasion, and they really light up over the "treasure"!

Keep in mind... something you might think of as ho-hum, might appeal to someone else, and vice-versa.

Also, some CO's change their caches to PMO after they have had a string of caches get muggled. I have no evidence this makes the cache any safer, but someone might be able to show proof. That's the logic behind some PMO caches anyways.

Welcome to the game!!!

As NeecesamdNephews alluded to, some CO's make their caches PMO if they have been prone to muggling. Unfortunately there are some malicious people out there (juveniles mostly, I imagine) who hear about Geocaching and sign up for the free account just so they can go out and mess with or steal caches. Just to be mean, you see. It's unlikely, though, that these vandals will pay for a Premium membership to get their jollies, so PMO caches are safer from such activities.

Then there are the newbie cachers who don't have any malicious intent, but just through inexperience or haste may compromise the security of the cache by not re-hiding it as found, or not using appropriate stealth when searching, thereby increasing the chance of the cache being muggled. Making it PMO, in theory at least, limits the cache to the more experienced or "serious" cachers who won't compromise the location.