Caching in the snow is fun!

tweetiepy

Went out cashing with my 12YO son (he chose "Sylvester" as his nickname) and we got about 2 or more feet of snow in the past two weeks. We went around in circles to find one cache as we couldn't find a parking spot nearby. We took our dog Panda along with us (he got sick in the car). Well one we thought we knew where it was - an old decrepit sign by the road - well someone had gone by a few before us after the last big snowfall and before the small one we go. We could retrace their steps and it was my son who found the cache up in a tree - another good thing about going in the winter is that all the trees are bare and naked to us so easy to see for beginner cachers.

Had a great day out in the cold and we found the 3 that we had set out to find - still a 0/1 on a nearby multicache since I can't find how to input the bearing & distance into my GPS. AND we go sidetracked/lost even with the GPS - I really need to know how to work that thing better.

We're both extatic and the dog is even too tired to beg for food! - Yeah!

Sounds like a great way to spend the day with your kid. Builds memories too.

When I find a cache in the snow, after I log it, I walk all over and around, leaving footprints everywhere, so I don't give away the cache location. If it's muddy, I try to hop from rock to rock to log, so I don't leave a track.

personally not a fan of looking for caches in the snow unless its a very large container. Have tried a few caches that were tough hides, like micros in stumps, and those are so easy to destroy the vegetation if you can't tell what you are poking in due to snow, ice or frost.

However, an ammo can, well, a little different.

personally not a fan of looking for caches in the snow unless its a very large container. Have tried a few caches that were tough hides, like micros in stumps, and those are so easy to destroy the vegetation if you can't tell what you are poking in due to snow, ice or frost.

However, an ammo can, well, a little different.

Around here, most caches are hanging in trees above the snow level

Been tramping around ~2" of snow in Arches NP and Canyonlands NP for several dozen caches the last few days. Absolutely no one's been around (I sat all by my lonesome by Delicate Arch today), it's been grand!

Didn't attempt many caches in Moab the town itself tho, as those micros are just awful in the snow to look for. Earthcaches and large ones hidden at scenic overlooks though, I'm happy to do, especially when it keeps crowds at bay and I can follow someone else's footsteps straight to the cache. :lol:

The Canadian caches (or at least the ones in my area) seem to have a snowflake icon to say it's available in winter - meaning it's above snow level - but lately we've gotten a big dump of now so some of the ones that should be above snow-level may have gotten buried.

I was thinking the same thing about ticks & bugs - less to worry about in winter and if I'm in an untrampled area I can always find my way out of the woods by retracing my steps in the snow

Cold weather's my favorite time to play. Few ticks and you can at least see through most brush. Sometimes I'll take along a hand-held metal detector after a fresh snow.

Lucky where you live they make use of the attributes for access.

- My area, more than half have no attributes on their hides, leaving "available in Winter" open to chance.