Galaxy S III (i9300)

The 4 most used apps on my Android phone for geocaching are as follows (in nor particular order).

C:Geo

This is one of the best geocaching apps that I've used on any platform. The live map and live logging works very well. It is superior to the official app when it comes to offline caching as well.

Google Play Store Link

Official Groundspeak app

If you want to log live with field notes this is the go to app. C:Geo can now do field notes, but it saves them all as offline logs and uploads a field notes file to gc.com. I have yet to give this feature a try. The official app isn't the best for offline either, it never seems to use the data that I load in from GPX files.

Google Play Store Link

Google Maps

It may seem obvious, but this is perfect for checking the location of a cache, seeing a satellite photo of the area, and getting turn by turn navigation to the cache site.

Google Play Store Link

Gmail

This keeps my up to date on newly placed caches. I have a secondary Gmail account set up on my phone with a distinctive ringtone. I have this one set up to receive instant notifications from Geocaching.com

Google Play Store Link

I'm surprised no-one mentioned CacheSense.

I tried C:Geo but I found it slow.

CacheSense does everything I need at the moment (but then again I am only very new to this) and also allows you to tap into PQ's etc.

I've used it in-conjunction with Pocket Query Creator and find it very nice and has loads of ways to customise it.

It's crashing quite a bit on my S3 at the moment but the developer has been in contact and working on it.

Now in saying that I just ordered an Oregon 550 which should arrive in the next day or two but will continue to use the phone and apps as well.

The main reasons on purchasing a GPSr was the battery drain on the S3 and also not trusting the kids to drop my nice shiny phone!

I'm hoping the 550 will be recognised as a USB drive when I plug it into the S3 so I can transfer the data across while out and about if need be.