Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cadence

SET 2003 and a GPS story

Since becoming a Ham, I've made contact with a few people in Spokane that are active in the ARES/RACES arena, and a couple that Geocache. Today was the SET (Simulated Emergency Test) for 2003 for our area. It was a 14 hour run, and I didn't get to attend the meeting two days before.

I left an email for the Coordinator (also a Geocacher) to call me or page me, as I had no idea where they were going to be set up. She paged and I called back. For a minute she tried to give directions, I piped up, "What's the Coordinates?"

I could hear her mentally chastise herself, when she called out to someone with a GPSr and got the coordinates to me.

I have a new respect for Packet radio, something that I want to learn to be good at. Any recommendations for reference sites you think are helpful? I'm going to look around a bit, but I wanted input from everyone here.

Oh yeah, and just got my new registration for my truck - with my Vanity Ham Callsign plate as the new license plate!

I'm hoping the best of health for everyone.

Todd - K7PKT

Cadence

(OddTodd-K7PKT and CheleBell-XYL)

Thanks Raouljan!

Any experience or interest in Packet?

Todd - K7PKT

Cadence

yes ... I used to be a OES and run a "pocket" packet station using a handheld, a HP PalmTop and a Tiger TNC. The whole package find in a pocket and ran about two days off a motorcycle battery.

Packet is a bit wierd at first, but once you get used to it, it's a gas.

I used to live outside Colorado Springs and we had a repeater on top of Pike's Peak .. ain't nothing in the world like having a 14,000 ft antenna!

Since moving to Arizona my HAM activity has been kinda low.

'73 - de KX0ZPA

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

Hmmm, are you uh... using them anymore??? icon_biggrin.gif

I'm looking for a small TNC to operate a mid-size emergency packet station - laptop and handheld. If you hear of anything, send them my way - I'd appreciate it!

Has anyone used the RigBlaster? Opinions/First-Hand experience?

Thanks again.

Todd - K7PKT

Cadence

The rigblaster is a sound card interface. I've not used the commercial version, but I do have a homebrew sound card interface that I use. It works quite well. it consists of a transistor and 3 or 4 diodes. If you are interested in the schematic let me know & I'll email it to you.

73 DE KG4TQE(email on QRZ is correct)

spitfirenut,

I'd love to have a schematic, as probably others would too, is it available by email or could it be posted and linked to?

If not, no worries. I'll email you privately with my address.

Thanks!

Todd - K7PKT

Cadence