Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest CiXeL

gps receiver + ham radio - do they exist?

Guest CiXeL

io built into one. does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Guest Anton

No, a combination GPS and ham radio in one box doesn't really exist. There are ham radios that come ready for packet radio, where you connect the radio to your PC and send digital transmissions, but that's not what you're asking for here.

Garmin has supposedly licensed the Palm OS, and will likely come out with a GPS with a Palm computer sometime in the next year or so. There are already cell phones, like the Qualcom, with Palms and other PDAs built-into them. At the moment, that's about as close as it gets. We can dream...

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest teamyumyum

quote:
Originally posted by CiXeL:

sounds like it would be the ultimate survivor/wilderness tool, a gps receiver and ham radio built into one. does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Guest aberson

I thought I posted this before, but it looks like it didn't work:

Garmin is supposedly coming out with a combo GPS FRS/GMRS radio. It has the ability to transmit your current position to other users of the same device. I'm not sure if it will actually come out though because as I inderstand it, it's illegal to send data via FRS.

it would be very cool if they were using APRS (maybe mic-e) protocols - that would make it so anyone with a receiver and a computer could map positions, and would also bring APRS more mainstream as GMRS users pick it up.

anyone know more about this?

-adam

Guest YaesuMan

You can hook them up with a cable, you know.

I like the TM-D700A mobile and the D7A handheld.

Guest CJ_Moof

Quote:

I'm not sure if it will actually come out though because as I inderstand it, it's illegal to send data via FRS.

Why is that illegal? I don't doubt if it is or not, just can't think up a good reason for it. Maybe the FCC doesn't need a good reason?

The Rino looks very appealing... I keep loosing my dog at the dogpark. Maybe I could ductape one onto her.... wonder if has a "transmit location every 30 seconds" option?

Guest YaesuMan

quote:
Originally posted by CJ_Moof:

Quote:

The Rino looks very appealing... I keep loosing my dog at the dogpark. Maybe I could ductape one onto her.... wonder if has a "transmit location every 30 seconds" option?

Yeah or maybe the wife. hihi

------------------

I do radio.

Anything that is radio.

Yes, GPS is radio.

GO HAM RADIO!