Download GPX files before publication?

MetsFanInNJ

Hi, I am hosting an event and hid a bunch of caches that will be published during the event with the coordination of the local reviewer. Is there a way for myself as the CO to download the GPX files before publication? I want to put them on a laptop and give them to the attendees that do not have smartphones or might not be watching for caches in the area. I know it is always a pain to type in the coords handed out at events and then you do not have the D/T info, hints, etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

Not download.

If you're crafty enough, you can create a GPX or LOC file with the information.

Yeah, I'm using GSAK to cut-and-paste off the cache page, hoping that there was an easier way. I could swear that the CO was allowed to download GPX files before publication at one time but not anymore ;( One more thing to add onto the wish list...

Not download.

If you're crafty enough, you can create a GPX or LOC file with the information.

Yeah, I'm using GSAK to cut-and-paste off the cache page, hoping that there was an easier way. I could swear that the CO was allowed to download GPX files before publication at one time but not anymore ;( One more thing to add onto the wish list...

I've never tested it, but I have read on this forum that while the GPX button doesn't work, Send to GPS does. So, if you have a GPS that has a file system such as all of the newer paperless ones, you can send each cache to the GPS as individual GPX files. If you don't have that type of model, you can plug in a USB memory stick and the Garmin communicator will find it and write the GPX to \garmin\gpx on the stick.

I could swear that the CO was allowed to download GPX files before publication at one time

I understand that in the very early days of the site, the only difference between published (they were approved back then) and unpublished was the URL, so some folks were aware of how to see 'em.

But as long as I've been around, you couldn't download a gpx of an unpublished cache.

You're recreating them in GSAK, which works, and unlike your plan to put them on a laptop and then redistribute, isn't violation of the terms of use.

When you agree to the TOU, you agree to make a copy for your own use, and NOT to redistribute. Just FYI.

Nope.

In the very early days - you could actually see unpublished caches. The urls used to end with the sequential number: com/seek/cache_details.aspx?id=5526(well the aspx was asp at the time), and all you needed to do was increase the numbers to see new and as-of-yet unpublished caches. About the same time that the APE caches went live there was increased security. I'm not sure if they were related or not, but I know the APE pages were fully formatted and live when they were released, and no one could see them before that. My APE cache (5526) was the last one placed in August of 2001.

In searching the forums, I this early post from July of 2002 showing that PQs were so new that they didn't even have a way to delete them.

AFAIK there has never been a way to download a pre-publication GPX from a list of caches.

Hi, I am hosting an event and hid a bunch of caches that will be published during the event with the coordination of the local reviewer. Is there a way for myself as the CO to download the GPX files before publication? I want to put them on a laptop and give them to the attendees that do not have smartphones or might not be watching for caches in the area. I know it is always a pain to type in the coords handed out at events and then you do not have the D/T info, hints, etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

What about saving each as a waypoint? That's a GPX file, and can have a name related to the cache. Then the printout can have the name (to cross-reference with), coords, D/T, description, and hint. Thanks for thinking of the poor people who would otherwise have to type that in. :anicute:

Be sure to let everyone know about the laptop loading plan. I don't always bring my GPSr cable.

Edited by kunarion

What about saving each as a waypoint? That's a GPX file, and can have a name related to the cache. Then the printout can have the name (to cross-reference with), coords, D/T, description, and hint. Thanks for thinking of the poor people who would otherwise have to type that in. :anicute:

Be sure to let everyone know about the laptop loading plan. I don't always bring my GPSr cable.

You could have them published an hour or so before the event. That's what I do with mine. Whatever you do, if they want the cache bad enough they will do whatever the have to-be that manually inputting the co-ords or using a laptop. I also think it's not your responsibility-they want to find the caches, they can figure it out. but that's just my opinion.