What do you recommend for a trackable with a difficult goal?

laplesky

We found our first GeoCoin and want to move it on. But, using cell phones makes it hard for us to figure out the goal while out; we end up waiting 'til we can get back to a regular computer to get the full scoop on these things. So, we found out this one wants to go to islands on the oceans of the world. Well, I'm landlocked (plus it was found landlocked), so can't help there. But I want to do right by this coin... here are my placing thoughts:

a) I can get it to one of many cool caches on islands on a nearby lake, but it would be a few months before I could get a friend with a boat to safely help me. This would be cool - in the spirit, plus in a cache available to likely more advanced cachers.

or

B) Drop it as quickly as I can next time I go out, but being sure to choose a more advanced (plus premium) cache... again, to keep it going most likely in a responsible cacher's hands.

Knowing these things like to go 'fast' what do you all advise - location in the spirit of the bug vs. speed? Thanks.

p.s. we found a few TB's on our recent travels that someone had just taken, never logged, and wrote on the TB's page "find me if you can." I assume there are folks then who either don't get the concept of logging, or just don't give a ? I don't understand that - we have tried to be very conscientious with the bugs we've picked up - if they have a goal, we really want to try to honor it, and log it correctly. If someone doesn't want to, then why not just leave it alone?

The best thing you could probably do would be to message the owner and see what they would prefer. As a trackable owner myself I wouldn't mind you holding onto it for a while if you sent me a message with your intents so that I knew you weren't just hoarding it. Everyone is different though and they may want it dropped right away. There's no harm in asking what they would like

Place it in a cache where you think it would be most beneficial for the TB to reach it's goal. For example, I'm holding a bug that wants to travel to a specific part of Georgia. Since I live near I-75, which runs through Georgia, I'm going to drop it in a nearby TB hotel or another cache with heavy traffic that's right off of I-75. That way the next cacher can hopefully help it.

I would go down to the lake and take a picture of the TB with a view of the island in the background. Write a nice log about the name of the island, history, etc... Then drop the coin in a nice safe clean cache that has a reasonable amount of traffic. Even premium member caches aren't guaranteed to be safe, so use your judgement from what you find at the cache site.

You never know who is going to stop by a cache. My son's TB was near home in BC, Canada, sitting in a cache in the middle of a long hiking trail series. A woman found it and took it all the way to Australia the next week. :D

I had a look at the Bermuda Triangle geocoin which you have at the moment...

It's a lovely geocoin and it's done a lot of miles since it was released in March last year. You can't easily get it onto an island, but what you could do is add some photographs of the geocoin at any interesting locations around your area - In all its 17558 miles of travel, no one has thought to add any photos!

Owners of trackables realise that not every cacher will be able to follow the exact mission of an item - It should be a pleasure to help trackables on their travels and sometimes you just have to do the best you can.

Can you do anything amusing with it? Create a bit of fun... Do you know anyone who plays the triangle? Got any pictures/books/photographs of islands around your house? Got a fish pond in your yard with a tiny island in the middle? I love it when a cacher does something to create a smile for a TB owner. Photos are always good!

BTW, if you do add photographs, mention them in a Note log on the coin's page to alert the owner to look for them there.

Have fun. :)

MrsB

Can you do anything amusing with it? Create a bit of fun... Do you know anyone who plays the triangle? Got any pictures/books/photographs of islands around your house? Got a fish pond in your yard with a tiny island in the middle? I love it when a cacher does something to create a smile for a TB owner. Photos are always good!

Great idea! I hadn't thought of that; we are relatively new to this. Today is cold but not as ugly as it has been weather-wise so we'll be caching a bit today and will try to place this and a few others today, or soon depending on appropriate caches. But... we'll try to get some fun picture first. We recently placed a ducky TB in a great duck-nest-themed cache and now WISH I'd thought to get a picture for the TB owner - it was a great cache. Thanks for the ideas and advice, much appreciated.

As part of our caching 'bag-o-tricks' we keep note pads and baggies, several different sizes. Even when a TB owner hasn't left anything with their item with directions or specified a mission, we write the mission on a note, or at least a direction to move it in and put the item in a baggie and leave it in an appropriate cache.

My partner never puts out a trackable that isn't in a baggie with a mission and description tag. Even then we get reports downstream that someone put it in bag, fixed it, or ....(?). There are cachers who find things in caches that they obviously need more than someone else and help themselves, or the travels missions get separated somehow. Regardless, anything we/you can think of to assist a TB in it's travels is certainly appreciated by TO's.

Keep in mind though that the laws of Human Nature will always intervene. I maintain a larger than normal cache locally and have 2 large baggies in it. One is marked "SWAG" and the other marked "TRACKABLES". There are usually a fair number of trackables in the cache and one day I got a 'found it' log with a note: "Found a large bag of trackables to take, how cool!!". It took almost 2 weeks to get it all sorted with the cacher, who was at least cooperative in dealing with learning how to log and 'retrieve/drop' trackables.

Edited by nevadanick