John Grisham GeoCoin Contest

njphotoguy

Congrats on your win. The only one of these coins I ever even saw in person had not been given any goal and I had no info on the contest or that there even was one.

If you'd looked at the description, you could have learned all about the contest. The description for these coins has a section at the top that's under control of the advertisers that talks all about the book and explains the contest. It's impossible for the owner of the coin to get rid of it. That was the price of getting a free coin. (And I, for one, do not regret the cost.)

But I couldn't enter the contest because I refuse to use facebook. And I wouldn't friend someone to enter a contest even if I did use facebook.

I got my autographed book today and was contacted lastnight by geocaching they will be posting the images soon. Got a extra bonus another Racketeer geocoin. B)

I hope you enjoy the book. I just started reading it. I generally like Grisham, but I do have a major quibble with his ridiculous portrayal of FBI agents, since I used to be one. Grisham was a criminal defense attorney, so it isn't surprising he portrays FBI and all law enforcement in a bad light. That's okay, since it's fiction. I poke fun at them in my books, too, but at least I stay close to reality.

These are not spoilers, since I'm near the beginning, but a couple of the stupid flaws in the early part of the book:

1) The FBI bursting in to a meeting to arrest a white collar defendant and pointing guns at him. White collar defendants are almost never arrested. Usually they have attorneys and the prosecutor makes a deal with that attorney for his client to surrender for photos and fingerprinting at a convenient time.

2) Same scenario - SWAT team conducting a white collar search (never happened in my 25 year career). You don't need SWAT to put papers in boxes.

3) After arrest the defendant tries to to talk to the FBI (they almost always clam up) and the FBI tells him to shut up (agents ALWAYS want the subject to talk at the time of arrest and are super nice, trying to encourage him to blather on).

I could go on, but hey it's just a story so go with the flow. As I said, I usually enjoy Grisham works. I especially liked The King of Torts and The Litigators.

Congrats on your win. The only one of these coins I ever even saw in person had not been given any goal and I had no info on the contest or that there even was one.

If you'd looked at the description, you could have learned all about the contest. The description for these coins has a section at the top that's under control of the advertisers that talks all about the book and explains the contest. It's impossible for the owner of the coin to get rid of it. That was the price of getting a free coin. (And I, for one, do not regret the cost.)

But I couldn't enter the contest because I refuse to use facebook. And I wouldn't friend someone to enter a contest even if I did use facebook.

Yeah, me too. I just found one of these coins and was disappointed to find that I could not even see the submitted entries or read much about the contest without friending Grisham on Facebook.

(And of course you have to join Facebook to do that)

At least Groundspeak hasn't gone that far (yet).