PQ of My Finds

MountainWoods

Ok. I've searched for this topic, watched the video, read the help pages, and it still does not work.

I simply want to get a PQ of the few caches that I've found (104 so far). I started a PQ called My Finds. I let everything be All types, sizes, shapes, you name it. Because of the oddity of the feature, I have to tell it took look relative to somewhere -- OK, I'll use my home. And I have to tell it how far out to look -- OK 3000 miles. (Although every time I go back into the PQ, the later is always reset!)

So I submit the query and always get 0 finds. What am I doing wrong? Is this not possible?

(Oh yes, and of course I check the appropriate box to indicate that I found it, of course.)

Edited by MountainWoods

BTW, I also tried selecting all of the Countries, rather than an origin. No go. I tried selecting all of the sizes, types, checked the box for "greater than or equal to difficulty: 1", ditto terrain. Nothing. It's as if the PQ thinks that I have nothing that matches "I have found".

EDIT:

Never mind. I found it. I had to select all of the States, rather than all of the countries. Boy is this intuitive! (NOT!)

Edited by MountainWoods

Thanks Great Scott and Markwell. I noticed that special portion of the PQ page with the link after I had gone through the trouble of trying to make such a query. I had already deleted mine and clicked the automatic My Finds just before I got the email message that y'all had replied.

Anyway, I hope it'll clear up confusion for anyone else who might not scroll down far enough on the PQ page.

BTW, I wanted my finds so that I could download them into GSAK. I finally got around to installing it today. It had some start up problems - it apparently doesn't like it if you move your documents from the c:\Documents and Settings\USERID area to somewhere else, so it threw an error and I had to fix some options. It needs to be more tolerant of that. Then when I tried to do my first GPX load, it tried to connect to geocaching.com to get my connection established, but it just sat there for about 30 minutes going in circles. I finally had to kill the program and restart it. Next time it made the connection right away.

Then when it did connect in, it downloaded 37 caches into my Default database; for which I see no rhyme or reason. They were a mixture of things that I had found, some I hadn't found, some I had only recently looked at, and so on. They weren't the last 37 that I had viewed in geocaching.com, so I don't have a clue why it chose those caches. The GSAK 101 document and help system didn't explain that. Anyway, It looks like it'll be a nice product someday when all of the bugs are worked out of it.

Thanks again.

BTW, I wanted my finds so that I could download them into GSAK. I finally got around to installing it today. It had some start up problems - it apparently doesn't like it if you move your documents from the c:\Documents and Settings\USERID area to somewhere else, so it threw an error and I had to fix some options. It needs to be more tolerant of that. Then when I tried to do my first GPX load, it tried to connect to geocaching.com to get my connection established, but it just sat there for about 30 minutes going in circles. I finally had to kill the program and restart it. Next time it made the connection right away.

Then when it did connect in, it downloaded 37 caches into my Default database; for which I see no rhyme or reason. They were a mixture of things that I had found, some I hadn't found, some I had only recently looked at, and so on. They weren't the last 37 that I had viewed in geocaching.com, so I don't have a clue why it chose those caches. The GSAK 101 document and help system didn't explain that. Anyway, It looks like it'll be a nice product someday when all of the bugs are worked out of it.

The very first version of GSAK came out way back in December 2003, so most of the bugs have been worked out already. It's an excellent program being used by a huge number of cachers. It does have a lot packed into it, though, and it can be confusing for new users. If you need assistance, the users over in the GSAK forums are very helpful and can probably help you figure out why it's been doing what it's been doing.

Thanks. I'll check that out. When it started up barfing over a simple thing like the location of My Documents, I thought it was still rather new and just beginning. (I'm sure there are lot of other folks who change the location of their documents. All of the other programs I use work fine with the fact that the documents directory isn't under Documents and Settings.)

I noticed that there was a GSAK forum, but it meant registering again. I'll consider registering there if I think I'm actually going to use it.

Thanks again!

Thanks. I'll check that out. When it started up barfing over a simple thing like the location of My Documents, I thought it was still rather new and just beginning. (I'm sure there are lot of other folks who change the location of their documents. All of the other programs I use work fine with the fact that the documents directory isn't under Documents and Settings.)

I noticed that there was a GSAK forum, but it meant registering again. I'll consider registering there if I think I'm actually going to use it.

Thanks again!

It's not GSAK at fault...

Windows expects certain folders and other bits to be in certain places. GSAK installs things where Windows expects them to be... So GSAK will work as it was written to work!

IF you do decide to register over at GSAK (Well worth it, even if you only installs a few macros!) use your Groundspeak user name, it make life easier.

Yep. I'm planning to use my Groundspeak login if I register on the GSAK forums.

I beg to differ on blaming it on Windows. Windows doesn't complain because I moved My Documents. Neither does

PrintMusic by Finale,

nor MapSource nor BaseCamp by Garmin,

nor does Quicken by Intuit,

nor does the Palm OS software,

nor does Delorme Street Atlas,

nor does ...

All of those things, and others, installed with no errors after I moved My Documents from Documents and Settings (which I do right away with each new computer). They all used the same setting within Windows that indicates where the user's "My Documents" is located. It's not an environment variable, it's a goofy Windows registry setting. But they all used it right off and stored their documents in the place where I moved My Documents. No errors, no confusion.

So far GSAK is the only program that choked because it assumed that My Documents was the Windows default, rather than looking at the setting. I'll report it and see if they can get that fixed.

But the database files are set for their location in the software, rather than some "default" location like My Documents. In GSAK, you can see (and change) where the software expects to find the database files. Tools, Options, General and look at Database Folder and Application Folder. If you move the database files, you'll need to change the setting in GSAK as well.

But this really is a topic for the GSAK forums at http://gsak.net

Yep. I'm planning to use my Groundspeak login if I register on the GSAK forums.

I beg to differ on blaming it on Windows. Windows doesn't complain because I moved My Documents. Neither does

PrintMusic by Finale,

nor MapSource nor BaseCamp by Garmin,

nor does Quicken by Intuit,

nor does the Palm OS software,

nor does Delorme Street Atlas,

nor does ...

I'll report it and see if they can get that fixed.

"They" is mostly one person, but he has always responded to questions and problems quickly and efficiently over the years. He is constantly working on bugs and improvements, so I encourage you to ask. GSAK is a great tool, so hopefully something can be done to increase your comfort level with it.