How do you know what to touch and what to leave alone?

tweetiepy

Funny question I know. I was reading a thread about using an electical box as a cache and how it was not a good idea. Now if I saw an electrical plug on a tree out in the wilderness I might not think twice about touching it, since it has no business being there. But how do you know what you can safely touch? Especially if there is other similar stuff around.

I know I'd be reluctant to touch a fake bug or fake snake in case it was real but is there really anything that's off limits to use as a cache? I saw the post of the grenade being used as a cache and I doubt I'd get near that unless it had a geocache sticker on it.

I was talking to a friend of mine and she said that someone could hide drugs & other bad stuff in there. Is this common - Basically how careful do I need to be out there? Even though I have a GPS I'll probably have to call 911 to get me out of the forest should I wander in there...

Others could and do leave horrible things in caches sadly. :( personally when I cache I use gloves and I'll look at the cache container if its see through to see what's in there or I'll poke around with my pen/pencil first. Just recently there was a post about a cache with a needle in it. Their kid got a needle prick. You need to be careful.

I know I'd be reluctant to touch a fake bug or fake snake in case it was real but is there really anything that's off limits to use as a cache? I saw the post of the grenade being used as a cache and I doubt I'd get near that unless it had a geocache sticker on it.

Even if you aren't planning on hiding any caches anytime soon, it would be a good idea to read through the guidelines so you know what is and isn't allowed. From the section "Select an appropriate location and container":

Think about how your container and the actions of geocachers seeking it will be perceived by the public. Although your cache will be hidden with landowner or land manager permission, concerned passersby who are unaware of geocaching, may view people searching the property as suspicious. Containers that could be perceived as a bomb or another dangerous item should not be placed. To reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as dangerous by non-geocachers, and being permanently archived by Groundspeak, use common sense when selecting hiding places and containers.
I saw the post of the grenade being used as a cache and I doubt I'd get near that unless it had a geocache sticker on it.

That's a good idea. If your GPSr seems to be pointing to a dangerous place, feel free to skip it. Then you may ask the CO before you pick up snakes or grenades, or open electrical boxes. Read the logs, and someone's probably already mentioned any problems, so you can decide in advance. For that kind of thing, I might post a DNF, saying something like, I wasn't sure if I was in the right place, because it seemed a little too electrical. And sometimes it's not among the wires at all, I might actually be in the wrong place.

Edited by kunarion

The bit about drugs being hidden in caches (geocaches or otherwise) is, for the most part, an urban legend. Drug dealers aren't in the habit of leaving their expensive product in a place where somebody may happen upon it randomly.

I have found needles and drug smoking devices while looking for caches probably more than 5 if not 10 times. I also have actually found drug sample bags ("mostly" empty) while doing a caching CITO in a park. None of these I found in a cache though, but found while looking for it.

So, it does happen.

Edited by lamoracke

But how do you know what you can safely touch? Especially if there is other similar stuff around.

I know I'd be reluctant to touch a fake bug or fake snake in case it was real but is there really anything that's off limits to use as a cache?

I've found caches in fake bugs,snakes and lizards. Also I have found caches in fake electrical boxes, and the like. However, I sometimes wonder how many of my DNF's are because I wasn't sure before I touched it, and so just skipped it.

Usually if it is a fake creature of some kind, a gentle poke with your hiking stick, (or any nearby stick you can find)will let you know if it is safe. Any electrical box I might touch, would have to be rather obvious. If it looks like a junction box, and there are no wires to it, you might pull on the cover plate. If it is held on with magnets it will pull right off. If I need to use a tool, I will skip it.

There does seem to be no limits to what someone will use for a cache. Even things that are clearly against the rules get used. Some things I wouldn't find because I just wouldn't check them out. Things like fake dog poop, or fake cow pies.

There is nothing wrong with a DNF, and if you get one because you are smart enough to avoid a potentially dangerous cache, it could be something your proud of. B):)

The bit about drugs being hidden in caches (geocaches or otherwise) is, for the most part, an urban legend. Drug dealers aren't in the habit of leaving their expensive product in a place where somebody may happen upon it randomly.

I have found needles and drug smoking devices while looking for caches probably more than 5 if not 10 times. I also have actually found drug sample bags ("mostly" empty) while doing a caching CITO in a park. None of these I found in a cache though, but found while looking for it.

So, it does happen.

Back when I started in 2001, non-cachers would question the safety of caching. Most comments were that someone could booby trap the cache. Well 11 years later I have yet to hear about a booby-trapped cache. And as far as drugs go, like someone already said, why would someone do that? Now stumbling upon someone's stash while out looking for a cache or a spot to hide a cache could happen, but it's rare.

If a bug or snake looks obviously fake, then it is a good bet it is the cache. If it moves, then it is not the cache :). If not sure, then don't touch.

Same with the grenade -- I don't think these look real, I might touch it. But I don't really think they are a great cache container either.

The poison traps in another thread -- I have seen those before when I was caching (not the cache), and I wouldn't touch them. Poison = don't touch.

Electrical, if it is obviously fake then fine. If it is potentially live, then more care. I wouldn't get in that rats nest of wires shown above - DNF that one.

No tools should be required. No screwdriver to open things up.

I would worry more about sticking my hand blindly in somewhere. I try to shine a light or poke with a stick first.

Ultimately, as an adult I am responsible for my own safety. Recently I did a search for a cache I had previously DNF'd. With the canopy now barren, I quickly spotted the container 30 feet in the air. It was secured to a tree branch. The only access was to climb another tree that had fallen part way and was braced by the tree containing the cache. I considered, then DNF'd it and put it on my ignore list. The risk of injury from falling 30 feet did not justify the smiley. BTW, In have climbed trees in the past. My issue was the precarious position of the fallen tree. Similarly, I would never reach into a cavity containing wires. Perhaps they're live. Perhaps they're cammo. The risk of getting electrocuted far outweighs the benefit of getting another smiley.

Edited by ras_oscar
Well, yes and no. You definitely shouldn't bring tools and just start opening random utility boxes, access plates, etc. But I've found caches that did require tools to open. The CO even said so in the cache description.
Well, yes and no. You definitely shouldn't bring tools and just start opening random utility boxes, access plates, etc. But I've found caches that did require tools to open. The CO even said so in the cache description.

I found a cache that had a hint "Make sure to bring along your friend Robbert". This is a reference to a Robertson screwdriver with a square head. It was an electrical junction box ziptied to a wooden power poll. You needed a #2 Robertson screwdriver to get into it.

True That, however, their client / customers do leave their waste behind and it is not restricted to urban environments. One close call with a needle stick has me in the glove and pokey stick column.

HIV, Poly hep. is just not worth a smiley.

Awareness of electrical equipment is always a good idea. Got lit up from a municipal light fixture due to a short once. BTW the cache was elsewhere

Be careful out there.

Edited by humboldt flier

Funny question I know. I was reading a thread about using an electical box as a cache and how it was not a good idea. Now if I saw an electrical plug on a tree out in the wilderness I might not think twice about touching it, since it has no business being there. But how do you know what you can safely touch? Especially if there is other similar stuff around.

That is the key here. If it doesn't belong it will probably be the cache. Ann electric outlet in a tree off trail is kinda ironic or funny. Something near live wires is a no-no. You could get electrocuted if there is a short, or if you play with the wrong thing. You geocache enough you will get an idea where the cache is-safe or not. Now we mostly know those toy grenades are fake, but what about 8 year old billy or 95 year old granny walking her dog? A local bomb squad officer put it this way-if a non cacher would think it is a bomb, then don't use it. there other thing is obvious danger-like caches in live electrical equipment. While they shouldn't (IMO) be there, there are other dangerous caches-think rock climbing, near highways, in trees. This brings up the point that it is Your choice to find a cache, and you choose if you can safely do it The responsibility is yours as the finder, just as much(MORE SO, since you may not have a ladder or rock climbing gear) then the CO.

I was talking to a friend of mine and she said that someone could hide drugs & other bad stuff in there. Is this common - Basically how careful do I need to be out there? Even though I have a GPS I'll probably have to call 911 to get me out of the forest should I wander in there...

It boils down to 7 words.

You

Don't

Have

To

Find

Them

All

Ultimately, as an adult I am responsible for my own safety.

Life isn't black-and-white. Yes, as an adult you're responsible for taking reasonable precautions regarding your own safety. But people in a civilized society also are responsible for taking reasonable care that their actions don't cause harm to others.

If a construction worker carelessly tosses bricks from an apartment building roof onto the street below, then are you ultimately responsible if one of those bricks hits you on the head? If a drunk driver runs a red light, then are you ultimately responsible if they smash into your vehicle?

Yes, please exercise due care while you're out geocaching. But don't blame victims for everything that happens to them.

maybe urban legend for the most part, but there is always an exception.

Found it 03/13/2009

This was a surprising find. A curious owl flew in to watch us head into the gz (see pic). Met new friends who were canoeing down the river, and explained geocaching to them. When we opened the cache though, we saw something unusual~let's just say "wacky weed" isn't what we expected Probably left behind by whoever muggled it? Last find of the day, 24 of 25 in the area

I know I'd be reluctant to touch a fake bug or fake snake in case it was real

432762eb-284d-47f1-81bd-3cfc3b37b03c.jpg

I was new to caching in AZ and I thought this looked "too much like a dangerous snake" to be real. I nearly went and picked it up but sanity prevailed. I showed this picture to some locals and told the story and they said I should never leave the house again until I was ready to go back to New York

I was new to caching in AZ and I thought this looked "too much like a dangerous snake" to be real. I nearly went and picked it up but sanity prevailed. I showed this picture to some locals and told the story and they said I should never leave the house again until I was ready to go back to New York

:laughing:

I want to paint my cache containers in that pattern. The Guy who paints those snakes does an amazing job on the camo!

Edited by kunarion

you would have been alright. he had a recent kill in his belly. :anibad:

too bad there isn't a emoticon for facetiousness.

So if you found a nuclear bomb with a geocaching sticker on it you would feel safe poking around it ?

0c62aa27-f79e-4a95-ab81-589e01319007.jpg

Wow, way cool. Not only would I feel safe poking it, I'd travel several states to do so. Where are you going to hide it? It might even be big enough to hold a couple travelers.

I'm a big fan of marking geocaches that could be confused with something else, like a fake electrical box or a fake sprinkler head. I've seen some very clever ways that people have marked their geocaches. I'll admit I've poked around a few places I probably shouldn't looking for a cache (won't touch an electrical box unless I can tell it's fake). I've been toying with the idea of using four very small dots of paint- each a color found in the Groundspeak geocaching logo and each positioned the same way. By painting this on the cache containment object people could be assured that they've got the right object before poking through other things that maybe they shouldn't be poking through. Because the dots would be very small it shouldn't take away from the challenge.

Hi tweetiepy, and welcome to this funny and wierd hobby / game :-)

while you gain experiance and confidence please do not rush it,

start from the bottom

D1 / T1 and work your way up slowly,

and DONT take any risks or chances,

if you feel it is wierd or might possibly not be safe, then DONT..

The most safe caches do have a sign or note or 4 color marker say : GEOCACHE

either directly or indirectly,

this means you know for sure what it is BEFORE you touch it.

The most tricky caches are VERY well hidden, and blend in so even an expert might find it hard to reveal

before poking arround alot.

I'm a big fan of marking geocaches that could be confused with something else, like a fake electrical box or a fake sprinkler head. I've seen some very clever ways that people have marked their geocaches. I'll admit I've poked around a few places I probably shouldn't looking for a cache (won't touch an electrical box unless I can tell it's fake). I've been toying with the idea of using four very small dots of paint- each a color found in the Groundspeak geocaching logo and each positioned the same way. By painting this on the cache containment object people could be assured that they've got the right object before poking through other things that maybe they shouldn't be poking through. Because the dots would be very small it shouldn't take away from the challenge.

If you're going to mark it, just mark it with the real logo. Some special obscure paint scheme probably won't be recognized. It's not as if any muggle is going to pay any attention to a logo on an electrical box.

I was looking for a cache where the series is usually fake furry creatures. Reached into a hole where I saw fur and it was a real bunny. It ran and I almost had to change underware. Sprinkler heads either pull up easily or not. No mortal danger if it is a real one. I'm at a great advantage with fake electrical being a licensed electrician for 30+ years. It's easy for me to spot fake electrical gear.

I saw the post of the grenade being used as a cache and I doubt I'd get near that unless it had a geocache sticker on it.

So if you found a nuclear bomb with a geocaching sticker on it you would feel safe poking around it ?

0c62aa27-f79e-4a95-ab81-589e01319007.jpg

Actually, I found one of these once. :-)

Not when I was Geocaching, but rather when I visited the Trinity Site on White Sands Missile Base in NM last October, where the first nuclear bomb in history was ignited.

There, they had 'Fat Boy' on display but they said it was just the empty hull as they ignited 'Fat Boy' naked.

If you want to see it, it's always on display in the 'Rocket Garden' right behind the main entrance of White Sands.

So, I guess you can poke it safely, you might just get in trouble with the guards. :-)

For me, the first hint comes with the cache page.

If it is located in a parking lot, or close to a building, I pretty much know I don't want to touch it.

If I couldn't tell if it was safe, I would walk away to cache another day.

No cache is worth being electrocuted by mistake.

The one I have trouble with is sticking my hands inside a tree hole or rock cavity where I can see the cache but not what is around it. Snakes and spiders and animals might take offense. Poke another with a stick and see what jumps out at you! I lifted up a blanket of moss one time and a small bird flew up in my face.

Just use good sense and try to be very cautious - when you see a sign near a water fall that says 20 people have died here, you need to believe they were not stupid but they didn't believe the danger was really there. Deceiving steep terrain or racks faces can really fool ya!

Who ever said better safe than sorry is probably still alive! It is your judgement that keeps you safe and this thread you created is a good one -keep reading and learn all you can!

Look before ya leap!

Think first act later!

Hey! YA'll watch this!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

Life isn't black-and-white. Yes, as an adult you're responsible for taking reasonable precautions regarding your own safety. But people in a civilized society also are responsible for taking reasonable care that their actions don't cause harm to others.

If a construction worker carelessly tosses bricks from an apartment building roof onto the street below, then are you ultimately responsible if one of those bricks hits you on the head? If a drunk driver runs a red light, then are you ultimately responsible if they smash into your vehicle?

Yes, please exercise due care while you're out geocaching. But don't blame victims for everything that happens to them.

I understand your point. However, your examples are not analogous to geocaching. The interractions you described were forced upon the "victim" by a careless persons doing dangerous things. Those situations are what laws are writen for. The construction worker should have safety plan in place that describes how to dispose of waste. Laws are written that prohibit driving while drunk.

These threads invariably drive down the road of "Groundspeak should..... <insert appropriate prohibition/santion/punshment here>. Groundspeak has always maintained that they are a listing service, and that the cache is the property of the CO. A careless CO that places a cache in an inexhorably dangerous location/situation is exercising poor judgement. However, the seeker that arrives at GZ and either fails to recognize the danger or accepts the dnager and is injured is exhibiting similar poor judgement.

Edited by ras_oscar

I know I'd be reluctant to touch a fake bug or fake snake in case it was real

432762eb-284d-47f1-81bd-3cfc3b37b03c.jpg

Twice on a 60 degree day I have found a copperhead that was so still it seemed not to be alive. I even tapped to with a stick to see if it was and it still was totally motionless. I had to really disturb it badly and then it struck the stick 3 times faster than I could see it happen. It is something to remember - my gut not my mind said you got to really be sure about this one. Never trust a reptile. Cool temperatures slow them down alot but they are ready willing and able to take charge. Take care of yourself - it is YOUR job - so do it well.

I understand your point. However, your examples are not analogous to geocaching. The interractions you described were forced upon the "victim" by a careless persons doing dangerous things. Those situations are what laws are writen for. The construction worker should have safety plan in place that describes how to dispose of waste. Laws are written that prohibit driving while drunk.

Laws also apply to geocachers. Negligence, for example. Suppose I'm aware of hidden dangers near a cache that I own and there's a significant chance that someone could be seriously hurt while searching for that cache. Yes, as an adult, you're responsible for taking reasonable precautions while you're out geocaching. But as a member of a civilized society, I as the hider have certain responsibilities as well. If I don't warn you about those possible dangers and you indeed are injured, then I share responsibility for those injuries. And you could sue me for negligence.

The WORST is when people put candy into a caches. My kids have grabbed a few of these and almost (guh!) got them into their mouths.

I also may, on occasion, *accidentally* break caches that I feel are created just to endanger other cachers. ;)

Shaun

Edited by ShaunEM