Retireing a travel bug

WinterDesertDog

You can't "terminate" somebody else's TB - The fact that the owner appears to be inactivate doesn't mean that their trackable must die.

If it still has its tracking number and it can still be logged and moved from cache to cache then it lives! There are many trackables out travelling the world long after their owners have given up on geocaching.

Is it broken in some way that you feel it dangerous to put back into a cache? Can you do any minor repair to hold it together - Apparently duct/duck tape is good ;)

MrsB

I have a travel bug that has been broken. The owner does not answer through the Geocache e-mail system. The log says the originator has not been online since late in 2010. It really should be terminated. What is the standard procedure?

The TB is still owned by the originator despite his last log in details, chances are that they no longer cache given this information but only they can confirm this and given that they dont reply to email you will never know. However you have no other choice than pop the TB back in another cache, making a repair if that is possible.

Regards

I haven't found many tbs but the one I did find that was broken I have done minor repair work on.

Borris the secret agent had his hand snapped off and left a sharp end, i filed it down and painted a white bandage over the tip (I also emailed the tb owner and posted that I had done that on the tbs page) and then sent him on his way.

Another thing to consider is that while the owner may be inactive, there may be other cachers who have that TB on their watch list to follow its travels. They might be disappointed to see its travels stopped just because the owner no longer caches.

I would encourage you to attempt to repair it if possible, and if not, to place it in another cache as it is, as long as it doesn't pose a saftey risk for others. I realize it shouldn't be your responsibility to take care of other people's belongings, but think of it as paying it forward :)

Edited to add: You could then add this TB to your watch list and enjoy following its travels

Edited by Hemorrhage