North HOTM

BrewerMD

I have been playing with the idea of following in TotemLakes footsteps (I crack me up) and starting a HOTM (or so) based out of the north part of the state, mainly in the Baker area and surroundings. I will post here as well as in the HOTM listing as well to get the word out. As some may know, I have found almost all of the caches in the hills around here but as some may also know, I still re-visit them every year. Yes you heard that right, I go back and visit cache sites I have to hike to and I don't even get to claim a find! Crazy, right? So I got to thinking that some of you might want to find these lonely caches but don't want to head out to the mountain on your own. Here's your chance. Let it be known, Miranda is ALWAYS with me unless I am in the National Park. The hikes will be moderate terrain, well, my moderate. It is open to all but only you know your strengths and abilities so judge accordingly.

The first cache in my sights is GC3Y76K, Beau's Boulder. The snowshoe to the trail head (and the whole way) is pretty flat. The trail head is about 2.5 miles from car, the cache looks to be about a mile past that. I went to the trail head on Christmas Eve and had a blast. There is one creek crossing, I plan on carrying a pair of rubber boots for the crossing at the trail head. Days are getting longer but we would still need to get an early start. I walked this trail on Sept 11 this year so I have the tracks laid down but really, it is quite a defined trailway along an old road bed. Let me make sure I am being clear, this is a snowshoe or cross country ski journey only, it is not hikable on foot right now. Best guess is that it would be about 7.5 miles total. I would like to do this in nice sunny weather but really, I am open. I will not assign a date right now but if you are interested, let me know and we can go from there.

Edited by MissJenn
added the cache link

The first cache in my sights is GC3Y76K, Beau's Boulder. The snowshoe to the trail head (and the whole way) is pretty flat. The trail head is about 2.5 miles from car, the cache looks to be about a mile past that. I went to the trail head on Christmas Eve and had a blast. There is one creek crossing, I plan on carrying a pair of rubber boots for the crossing at the trail head. Days are getting longer but we would still need to get an early start. I walked this trail on Sept 11 this year so I have the tracks laid down but really, it is quite a defined trailway along an old road bed. Let me make sure I am being clear, this is a snowshoe or cross country ski journey only, it is not hikable on foot right now. Best guess is that it would be about 7.5 miles total. I would like to do this in nice sunny weather but really, I am open. I will not assign a date right now but if you are interested, let me know and we can go from there.

This sounds like fun! I'm definitely interested. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Let it be known, Miranda is ALWAYS with me unless I am in the National Park.

Who's Miranda?

I had no idea you had an airedale. We have one as well, though I don't take Pauli out with me as often as you do. She does love to be a geodog out on the trails when I do take her though.

dc9e29d7-01fb-4c88-9cf8-eec304637888.jpg

Who's Miranda?

I had no idea you had an airedale. We have one as well, though I don't take Pauli out with me as often as you do. She does love to be a geodog out on the trails when I do take her though.

Pauli is cute, you should bring her/him along sometime. I am sure there would be some Airedale play! You know the type I am talking about, the crazy I am insane type of energy they sometimes get.

Who's Miranda?

Pauli is cute, you should bring her/him along sometime. I am sure there would be some Airedale play! You know the type I am talking about, the crazy I am insane type of energy they sometimes get.

I'm sure she would love it, though she is getting a bit long in the tooth and has a weak heart. The issue is usually me though. I'll have to find a time that works for me to go on one of the HOTM and I'll bring the pooch.

Okay! Next Saturday is suppose to be partially sunny! YAY! So let's get those shoes on. There are two possibilities...GC3Y76K or GC1036Y. GC3Y76K is a pretty woods walk while GC1036Y is a great view walk. GC3Y76K is mostly level, probably about 7 round trip with a creek crossing. GC1036Y is uphill but only 4 miles round trip. I am open to both. So if anyone is interested and has a preference, please let me know. If I don't hear from anyone, then I will pick one to take myself to :)

Okay! Next Saturday is suppose to be partially sunny! YAY! So let's get those shoes on. There are two possibilities...GC3Y76K or GC1036Y. GC3Y76K is a pretty woods walk while GC1036Y is a great view walk. GC3Y76K is mostly level, probably about 7 round trip with a creek crossing. GC1036Y is uphill but only 4 miles round trip. I am open to both. So if anyone is interested and has a preference, please let me know. If I don't hear from anyone, then I will pick one to take myself to :)

.....I'm intrigued and possibly interested in joining you! Either hike would work for me.

Really? How awesome would that be. There is good beer to be had at the NorthFork on the way out.

That is a very good question, wow, I am new at this :) Let's see, I think a decent hour would be good, say 9 am. Decent enough? Also, from our local paper this morning

"Heavy snow forecast in Washington mountains

Forecasters say two weather systems Monday and Tuesday will drop up to 3 feet of new snow in the Cascades by early Wednesday, making driving difficult through the mountain passes."

Sweet! New snow!

That is a very good question, wow, I am new at this :) Let's see, I think a decent hour would be good, say 9 am. Decent enough? Also, from our local paper this morning

"Heavy snow forecast in Washington mountains

Forecasters say two weather systems Monday and Tuesday will drop up to 3 feet of new snow in the Cascades by early Wednesday, making driving difficult through the mountain passes."

Sweet! New snow!

I just saw a report that an avalanche warning will go into effect this afternoon for high avalanche danger through next Tuesday.

Be careful out there.

At the moment, it looks as if I can go on Saturday. I'm watching this thread for timesand other info.

So I think we hit on 9am as start time. I have room in my truck for one so if anyone wants a ride out from Bham with me, let me know. We will meet at the Hannegan Pass Road entrance, there is plenty of parking there in the lot. Coords are N48 54.346 W121 41.571

A few tidbits of info. I want to remind everyone that there is a creek crossing. Last time, I crossed over on a log on the way in and walked back through the creek not caring about getting wet on the way back. Water was below my boot tops. That was in September.

Parking is at approximately 2050ft. Cache is at approximately 2400. There is a slight down dip to 1800ft near the summer trailhead. The walk in is on forest roads that are, well, in the forest so I don't see any issues for avalanche danger. But if while walking you feel differently, please feel free to say so.

This is a very popular place to snowshoe, we will probably have plenty of company up to the creek which is the normal turn around spot, for non-cachers that is.

I plan on stopping at the North Fork for a beer on the way back. While they call themselves a brewery, they do not brew their own beer :( But they have really good beer on tap. Oh, and they can marry you there as well. Just in case you want to ...ummmm...get married. They do serve good pizza if you work up an appetite.

Edited by BrewerMD

At the moment, it looks as if I can go on Saturday. I'm watching this thread for timesand other info.

So I think we hit on 9am as start time. I have room in my truck for one so if anyone wants a ride out from Bham with me, let me know. We will meet at the Hannegan Pass Road entrance, there is plenty of parking there in the lot. Coords are N48 54.346 W121 41.571

My car is not snow-ready, so, may I claim the seat in your truck?

My car is not snow-ready, so, may I claim the seat in your truck?

Yes indeed. I will email you directly to arrange a meet up.

I want to thank those who joined me for this first NHOTM. While the creek crossing was challenging, everyone stayed focused and got the task done. I had a great time and am happy to report that we actually got the cache we were going for! Beautiful day in the mountains!

484681_10151401750312412_729726779_n.jpg

I had a great time--thanks for organizing the day. Sun, blue skies, almost-deserted trails, good company and good beer at the end--yeah, I'd do that again!

I have been informed that the HOTM means hike of the month and that I have been sorely providing said hike! While I haven't invited you all along I have been hiking high and am happy to say that while there is still snow, many caches are available! I was up on Hannegan Pass two weekends ago and could easily reach my cache to dump the water out of it :) So, let's go up a hill soon. Say second weekend in July. Somewhere up here north! Location to be announced as we get closer. For now I am off to Baker, take care.

Let's do this! Next Saturday, no not this Saturday, the next one, July 13. Let's go up to Hannegan Pass possibly Hannegan Peak. The hike to the pass is about 4 miles, you can read all about it on the Hannegan Pass cache page, GC15TJN. We can meet at the trailhead at a reasonable time, say 9am. I have room for one in my truck, let me know. I will be taking the dog of course :) I spent the night on Goat Mnt last night, this trail is off of the same road as Hannegan Pass trail, I drove the little 99 Saturn to the trailhead with no problem. I see normal cars at the HP trailhead all the time. Cornices allowing, I would like to continue on the mile or so up to the peak but as of three weeks ago (when I was last up there) it wasn't really feasible, hopefully there has been enough melt off to allow this.