Telephone Pole Cache options

Someone's bound to bring it up-how about nothing, because you won't get permission for the cache.

And the Dangers of electrical box caches. See Here Johnnygeo

If there is a small hole in the pole you could put a nano in there. I don't think there is much you could do without damaging the pole. Maybe put a fake electrical outlet near the bottom?

Edit; Bad speeling..I mean spalding....Make that spelling.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I've found BIG nails in the poles that had a log around the nail, a little baggie with tape around the baggie that was hidden in the cracks of the pole, the yellow reflector that goes around the pole had magnets on each end and was stuck to the pole with the log stuck to the back of the reflector. I even found one that was a missing dog/cat flier. Also found some caches that needed water to float a cache up a tube that was fastened to the pole. Found one cache that was a piece of gum that was stuck in the pole, the container was one of those tiny plastic tubes with the fake gum glued to the lid.

We have spotted a telephone pole that is near are house that we would like to place a cache on. Other than a fake electrical box what options are their fors caches on a telephone pole. We are struggling to come up with options. Thanks

A quick search of the forums will net you many threads about this topic.

Bottom line is, the telephone poles are owned by the utility. You must have permission before placing a cache, so this is no exception. Permission can be obtained, however. Be ready to provide the permission details to the Reviewer, and get ready to see a huge reaction to this thread pretty soon...

:drama:

Yes, I have found caches on (or near) the top of unused utility poles.

Slightly off topic, but still funny;

A friend of mine used to be in the utility locating business, so he had many contacts with crews installing new power poles. He was chatting with one such crew, and the conversation turned to our favorite hobby. The foreman thought geocaching sounded way kewl, and gave my friend explicit permission to hammer a bison tube into the top of a pole they were fixing to set. Yes, the wires at the top would be live, and the cacher would have to get past them somehow, without dying.

Even with explicit permission, he opted against hiding the cache.

I'm thinking he didn't want the foreman to get fired...

I am amazed how many caches I have seen that use containers that are screwed into the telephone pole. Just found another one in the last week. I wish I knew for 100% certainty if I should report them or not.

Only telephone hide I have seen archived for a certainty are the ones where its required you climb it or you actually intentionally drill a cavity to put something in the pole.

Those uni brackets are a usual spot for bison tubes.

Have seen some fake tubing around the other tubes, some with screws, some with those wrap around clips (which at least do not damage the pole).

Either way, and I can only speak for myself, I do not like any caches on a telephone pole, even one particularly clever one I found that involved parachute and air pressure.

Edited by lamoracke

A friend of mine used to be in the utility locating business, so he had many contacts with crews installing new power poles. He was chatting with one such crew, and the conversation turned to our favorite hobby. The foreman thought geocaching sounded way kewl, and gave my friend explicit permission to hammer a bison tube into the top of a pole they were fixing to set. Yes, the wires at the top would be live, and the cacher would have to get past them somehow, without dying.

That one could of been a good cache. It could of been it's not as it seems cache. Could have put multiple caches (wouldn't have put one at the very top though if you get me) the cache would have been right at the bottom but they'd have to figure out what container was the right one. Oh reflected cache... Not the right one. High voltage sign... Nope not that one. Tiny nano at the bottom of the pole? Grrrr. Lol.

And here are a bunch of cachers who showed up as witnesses so they could claim it.

:rolleyes:

Hey, I was in the same hemisphere (I think.) :yikes:

http://coord.info/GC3092R

Looks like there are 21 found it logs, and only four of them from people that actually went up the pole to retrieve the cache.

Actually there were 6 who climbed the pole. We were there twice when the pole was climbed, but ony claimed it once LOL

Drive around town and look at the telephone poles..... What do you always see at the base of them?

Ding ding...

Duplicate what you see (or at least, take that as ideas). A simple piece of PVC pipe setup. It could be just a piece of pipe with a cap on it and a bison tube underneath the cap. Not all that creative, but easy to make, better than a pile of rocks, should be easy for most folks, and 'unknown' to muggles.

Edited by Lieblweb

I'm thinking he didn't want to get his fellow cachers fried.

Here is a cache on a pole

97da3be7-30c5-4a1b-aba1-65b1739468d7.jpg

And here are a bunch of cachers who showed up as witnesses so they could claim it.

80302d8e-2f1b-4521-83f2-4f5817bd0001.jpg

Claim what..? That all 14 of them climbed a phone pole for a cache? Or that 13 of them can drive cars to a phone pole?

If that were my cache there would be a whole lot of "Found It" logs getting deleted.

On topic, caches near any kind of public utility are generally a bad idea.

If that were my cache there would be a whole lot of "Found It" logs getting deleted.
Why? Do you have something against people using "tools" to retrieve and replace elevated caches?

Good one. :P

CCC, you really have to carefully read the cache page, I don't know if you saw the link in another post. This cache owner clearly allows bystanders to log the find, as long as one person goes up. The cache page also implies the wires on these poles are no longer in service. They look like old Telephone service only lines to me.

Why? Do you have something against people using "tools" to retrieve and replace elevated caches?

Now, that's not nice. He looks like a perfectly nice guy.

Maybe too nice, if he threw the log down to the others, but that's no basis for name calling. :anibad:

so you had permission from whomever owned the pole? for some reason i think that telephone companies or power companies wouldn't want the public climbing their poles. in my eyes, this is just another lame lamp-post hide way off the ground with no redeeming qualities.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

so you had permission from whomever owned the pole? for some reason i think that telephone companies or power companies wouldn't want the public climbing their poles. in my eyes, this is just another lame lamp-post hide way off the ground with no redeeming qualities.

That does bring up an interesting point. One I am sure somebody would tell us to keep our noses out of. I find it impossible to believe that cache has permission.

That does bring up an interesting point. One I am sure somebody would tell us to keep our noses out of. I find it impossible to believe that cache has permission.

Most caches do not have permission. The question is if its legal or not. I'd say it appears to be, just like climbing any tree.

We have spotted a telephone pole that is near are house that we would like to place a cache on. Other than a fake electrical box what options are their fors caches on a telephone pole. We are struggling to come up with options. Thanks

I use to work for the phone company and if you had to climb the pole and put your climber in the pole and someone had put a metal object in the pole your gaft would hit the metal object and your butt is headed to the ground fast or your reaction is to grab the pole and you still slide and your chest is full of splinters. Can not tell you what to do but be respectful to the workers that have to climb the pole.

I dont like climbing old wooden telephone poles,

since it require special tools and special traning,

end even if you got all this, it could fail, and you fall and brake all bones,

and no ensurance cover self caused stupid behavior.

and by the way : old wooden poles are NOT designed for multible vitits using the spike feets !!

only a little normal visit once every 5 years.

I have seen climbing trees in the woods where people actually use those telephone pole spike feets

and cause huge damage to the tree !!

I guess the queasion from topic starter is not really about the pole TOP ?!?!

but more likely closer to the ground part of is ??

it has been done a few times: replace a large nail with a cache,

I have seen those large original nails taken out,

home to the work shop, cut drill mill them, insert very little roll paper log,

stick back into pole, go find it...

Most caches do not have permission. The question is if its legal or not. I'd say it appears to be, just like climbing any tree.

Actually... the OP presented the question " other than a fake electrical box, what options are there for a cache on a telephone pole?"

I would think the correct answer would be "unless you get permission for putting the cache there from the pole owner, it is a moot point."

Guess that is no longer the case. Or so it would appear. I've been away from the game for a bit, (and the forums) but it seems to have become a free-for-all since I left.

dry.gif Not that it matters to me, I am just making an observation.

Maybe too nice, if he threw the log down to the others, but that's no basis for name calling. :anibad:
It doesn't need to be name calling. Parents have used toddlers as "cache retrieval tools" for elevated caches. Why can't adults serve as "cache retrieval tools" for elevated caches?

Actually... the OP presented the question " other than a fake electrical box, what options are there for a cache on a telephone pole?"

I would think the correct answer would be "unless you get permission for putting the cache there from the pole owner, it is a moot point."

Guess that is no longer the case. Or so it would appear. I've been away from the game for a bit, (and the forums) but it seems to have become a free-for-all since I left.

dry.gif Not that it matters to me, I am just making an observation.

It was a free for all before you left. :D You know how it is, the site asks for cachers to obtain permission, but does not check. If the property owner finds out and complains, it gets archived. The only real debate is if its legal to climb a pole that is not being used. There are thousands of caches in parking lots which are potential bomb threats, or to provide a handy excuse for someone to be a lookout while another person raids the pallets and totes left behind the buildings, or to strip all of the copper and other scrap metals. Usually if you are found there after the store is closed it would be considered trespassing, but now with a geocache in place you can have a lookout as well as an excuse. Is it legal to climb the pole? Probably yes. Having legal access is the only guideline that gets enforced most of the time.