Statistics are on vacation

holograph

For those of you who have wondered about the lack of updates to the statistics and maps, here is the status.

Superstorm Sandy disrupted the November update by knocking out power for 7 days at the beginning of the month. After that, I got involved in buying a new home, which eliminated my spare time for the December update. This month I am actually packing and getting ready to move from New Jersey to the Maryland Eastern Shore, so I probably won't have any time for doing updates this month, either.

On top of all that, the NGS web site changed just enough to make it harder to get a good snapshot of activity, and it makes the process somewhat longer.

All that has combined to delay updates to the statistics and maps. I did do a download and update in mid-December, but found no new reports, so I didn't bother to do the rest of the process or update the web pages.

I hope to be more or less settled by February, although even then, renovations on our new home will probably be consuming a large fraction of spare time.

Jim, I'm sure others feel as I do, and appreciate all the work that you volunteer in maintaining the statistics. We also understand that it is a hobby, and life will always take precedence over it. Good luck in your move and renovations.

Wish you were closer so I might could help in your housing switch.

Edited by LSUFan

Thanks for all the good wishes. Yes, when I moved to NJ 9 years ago, I used benchmark hunting as an excuse reason to venture out into the countryside and familiarize myself with the nearby area. Once time allows, I hope to do the same again in MD.

Going to look for some of those old Mason Dixon rock piles? ;)

You know, I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. I normally think of the Mason-Dixon line as being the MD-PA border, but if I recall, they also surveyed the tangent line between MD and DE. I'll have to look it up once my books are unpacked. Are there boundary stones for the MD-DE lines?

Are there boundary stones for the MD-DE lines?

Sure are - here's the first one: BOUNDARY MON INITIAL DE MD (HU1443).

f054f2e5-122e-4e8e-a24b-c14c8354df8d.jpg

Seventhings visited quite a few of them awhile back & posted them with a lot of accompanying research on Waymarking - Ex: TP Line Mile 0, 1751, Delaware-Maryland

OHHH, man...1751!

Makes me want to go stand around in period costume with a theodolite at my side. B)

Are there boundary stones for the MD-DE lines?

Sure are - here's the first one: BOUNDARY MON INITIAL DE MD (HU1443).

f054f2e5-122e-4e8e-a24b-c14c8354df8d.jpg

Seventhings visited quite a few of them awhile back & posted them with a lot of accompanying research on Waymarking - Ex: TP Line Mile 0, 1751, Delaware-Maryland

OHHH, man...1751!

Makes me want to go stand around in period costume with a theodolite at my side. B)

to get you in the mood. :lol:

Jim, I'm sure others feel as I do, and appreciate all the work that you volunteer in maintaining the statistics. We also understand that it is a hobby, and life will always take precedence over it. Good luck in your move and renovations.

Wish you were closer so I might could help in your housing switch.

Good Luck in your new home and thanks for all your hard work

KazumiSun