Route 66 premium membership contest.

Roman!

I should be hitting Route 66 on January 20th (give or take a day) and plan on doing most the route the first day so here's the contest:

Guess how many caches I'll find on my first day on Route 66, closest wins a 1 year premium membership.

All caches found that day count.

Only 1 guess/person.

If 2 people post the same guess the first person to post it wins.

If two people tie with one over the total and one under the total the one under the total wins.

No guesses after 11:59 PM January 19th will count.

Anyone can guess.

Some hints to help you make an educated guess:

I should arrive in Barstow early evening the day before I start and stay in a motel/hotel.

I will be starting at sun up at the beginning of the route.

I will not be diverting to find any geoart.

My daughter (new driver) will drive and my son will help me open the containers.

I will sign every log with an "R".

I have bought 2 headlamps.

If you have any questions to help you guess I will answer any questions posted up until January 17th.

Winner will have their premium membership paid by the end of January.

Good Luck

Edited by Roman!

How about signing "TI" after your "R" and I'll buy YOU a 1 year premium membership? :anibad:

Haha, I don't play that way.

But if you were to cook me dinner I might be persuaded.

For a second there I though we were talking about a recent thread of mine that was locked but there is a "T" missing.

Edited by Roman!

Ok, i figured out the moon's alignment, wind direction, wind speed, and high temperature for that day. Then, depending on whether you're driving a 2 or 4 door vehicle, added 1.8 to 2.3 seconds to the time. With each cache being .10 miles apart, tire pressures of 32 lbs, heavy gas pedal usage, and decent brakes, i figured the average time in seconds to drive to each cache. I then deducted .4 seconds because of the curvature of the R that you would be siging each log with.

Let's see,, a*b(5x2/7)+6^=AB-

AB- (375+.03)x66=5.76583456541

5x(.4x37591)=0.812

8x1.9845/529+7-24367596128 = 646

You'll end up finding 646 caches total.

$1

No wait, that's the wrong game...

Will you be using any "power trail optimizations", like three cache monte, or will it be straight-up, traditional geocaching?

Assuming it's straight-up, I'll guess 556. Why that number? I figured it would be in the 500s, so I typed a 5, then mashed my numpad to fill in the last two digits. Seems as good a method as any...

I did 303 this summer starting in Barstow , being from the swamp I love the dessert......it was 107 degrees or more in the shade and there isn't any shade. We could have done more but quit early and ate at the diner in Ludlow.....food there was really good, then went across the interstate for an ice cream at the gas station...it the only oasis around and the folks really pile in.

Have fun.

Enjoy the hunt but be sure and NOT use throw downs on the caches that are in the area that are NOT part of the trail. My guess is 666. :laughing:

I contacted the CO of the series and will replace any missing Route 66 caches but I will not replace any that are not part of the series.

What time do you plan on stopping? DO you plan on grabbing other caches that are not part of the series?

I only plan on doing caches along the route and the plan is to go sun up till after dark.

$1

No wait, that's the wrong game...

Will you be using any "power trail optimizations", like three cache monte, or will it be straight-up, traditional geocaching?

Assuming it's straight-up, I'll guess 556. Why that number? I figured it would be in the 500s, so I typed a 5, then mashed my numpad to fill in the last two digits. Seems as good a method as any...

I will sign every cache at the cache site, my son will help by opening and closing the caches and my daughter will drive.

Five. Then something will explode on your car and you'll sit there waiting 4 hours for a tow truck. Better luck next time.

Unlikely. He got a new car for Christmas.

I hope not, I did get a new car .

I should be hitting Route 66 on January 20th (give or take a day) and plan on doing most the route the first day...

at least you don't have to worry about rattlesnakes. be aware, cell phones don't work on all parts of the mother road. and it's cold out here! temps drop quite a bit after the sun goes down.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

I should be hitting Route 66 on January 20th (give or take a day) and plan on doing most the route the first day...

at least you don't have to worry about rattlesnakes. be aware, cell phones don't work on all parts of the mother road. and it's cold out here! temps drop quite a bit after the sun goes down.

That's good to hear, I was kinda concerned about rattlers and I do have my trial of onstar if I get in trouble.

I did plan on caching after dark and we will bring warm clothes but if it does get too cold it may stop us.

Edited by Roman!