Opinions towards a Geocaching / Hiking Holiday?

Dokhoyan

This is merely a topic desiring thoughts and honest opinions.

I took my sister and her family for a geocache country walk a few days ago and they enjoyed it, well, apart from my brother-in-law. He, understandably, was a little bored at the 'sedateness' as he prefers more of a physical challenge. I had wanted to complete the Three Peaks myself so I asked if he would be interested and he nigh on hugged me ... ok, that's an exaggeration ... neither am I hoping he would ... back to topic.

This got me thinking.

My reason for geocaching is not the amount of caches found, proof of that is the many around my home location that I haven't searched for. I hate urban caches. To me, geocaching is about getting out and seeing the rural sights, the new places, the fresh air and with any luck, no cows, absolutely no cows!

The problem is, most of my friends are through the sports I play and, well, they prefer clubbing and drinking rather than country walking!

I had thought of starting a local caching group, but truth be told, because of the sports I play, I couldn't regularly dedicate a weekend to organising it and so rather than fail, I opted not to bother. Btw, if anyone wants to set up a South Leicestershire group, let me know!

Therefore, I thought of arranging a holiday, perhaps to the Peak District or, well, wherever. So people who like geocaching and hiking, could do so together. You would need to book your own B&B, hotel, cottage or campsite around the location, or perhaps a rotary club could be hired.

The finer points are less important than the concept as a whole and whether it would be of interest or not? Is someone already doing something like this perhaps?

That took far too much writing to get to the point.

Interesting concept. Whether you'll get a bunch of strangers to come together to holiday in one place and then agree on which caches to go for at any given time is another matter. It could be tricky, but could be very agreeable for all if it did come together.

I'm not sure about my own interest, in theory it sounds good but in practise it's hard to see Mrs Tisri being interested in a holiday focussed on geocaching. It's certainly something I'd wish you well in organising though, and if it were close enough to me to stop by as a day trip I might be tempted. I'm in London, so lots of urban micros for you to hunt :laughing:

Each year in the UK there are several larger geocaching events - rather than just one event meeting for a couple of hours at a local pub, these consist of 3, 4, or more geocaching events spread over a long weekend. One of the several is usually a camping event. The South Wales annual event is a typical example - Five events from Saturday to Monday. Many geocachers use these larger events as the basis for their own family holidays, often staying in the area for extra days so that there's time for other family sight-seeing, not just geocaching.

Other examples are the Piratemania weekend (27 - 28th July) and the UK Mega event which will probably have a whole cluster of events for several days through the beginning of August.

Individual cachers and family groups attend these events, some come as day visitors, others camp locally or stay in B&Bs - You can do as little or as much geocaching as you want. There's usually at least one longer walk planned and other things more suitable for younger geocachers.

So what I'm saying is that the idea you suggest already exists within the geocaching community, but in a slightly different format from what you describe. Your geocaching group holiday is a good suggestion but I think you might need to try out some events and get to know your local caching community first, then start the holiday plan rolling with them.

MrsB :)

If you attend a few events and get to know some local cachers then the opportunity of shared walks soon comes up and people will join you.

As to long walks, and challenging hikes we have plenty up here in the south pennines, and i am walking and caching my way along the pennine way and have been joined by other cachers in the process

I've combined my June summer holidays with caching with others for several years (Skye this year, Bryher IOS 2012, Eigg in the Small Isles 2011, tidal island off Jersey 2010, Unst, Shetland 2009, St Agnes IOS 2008, St Kilda 2007 - all have made great caching holidays), building-in an event to pull people together at one time and place. I usually go caching around the area with others before and after though, which as a single guy on holiday alone, makes it a lot more fun for me. Meeting new people, exploring a place - and placing caches when I can, with the help of locals - is a wonderful way to get the most out of a break.

So, your idea - to bring cachers together for a holiday - has sort of worked in the past. You can't hold an event to 'go caching together' under the guidelines, but they do give people an excuse to go caching together, if they want to. Cachers are like cats though; it's hard to get them all to go where you want them to at the same time. A looser scheme would probably work better as people will naturally form groups to go off caching together.

Speaking of the Three Peaks, I held events on top of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike (3am!) and Snowdon and attended them all within 24 hours in 2009, on my way home from Shetland. Great fun!