Southern African Trig Beacons

I have been working with a group of South Africans for several months who are interested in developing a category for trig beacons across the southern area of the African continent. Most of the trig beacons are in South Africa, and they are the best documented. A lot of research has already gone into this project. Less is known about the ones in other countries, most dating from colonial times. Waymarking is a great venue for all of these.

There are already 10 countries that have categories dedicated to similar sites - benchmarks, survey markers, trig points, etc. There are even two categories just for Disney properties, and another half dozen related categories. In fact, the category for U.S. Benchmarks now has over 10,000 waymarks. This will be a great addition to this group of Waymarking categories.

We welcome comments and suggestions before putting this up for peer review. Take a look at Southern African Trig Beacons This category has a few special needs, so some of the criteria are a bit different, but it fits the spirit of Waymarking.com perfectly.

Edited by silverquill

Anything remotely related to benchmarks/survey marks gets a 100% approval and support from Yours Truly! Great category addition, you get my vote.

Also should mention a very nice category writeup too.

We'll be adding some photos to the description to illustrate the basic types of trig beacons.

Looks good, Qapla'

I note the multi-nation basis of the category. In the back of my mind for a while now I have been pondering a few ASEAN multi-nation categories, benchmarks being one. The members of ASEAN are making a big push to integrate their economies, with the plan being to fully integrate by 2016 (or thereabouts). Thus there is an external, legalistic framework.