2013 Geocaching Goals

Mine is quite modest as we've fulfilled pretty much our goals last year: at least a fiend on each day of the calendar, heaps of nice challenges, and to pick up a few special caches. This year I would like to cache in a couple of countries I have not cached before. That's all at the moment to be honest.

Mrs. Terratin

Noobish non-addiction (as yet) and other things I want to do with my time add up to modest goals for what will be my first year participating in the game. I will be happy if I have time to look for 10 or 15 caches per month--especially if I can work in sketching on location at the same time. I am not a "compete by the numbers" person. It's more about the quality and fun of the experience/journey for me (and hopefully my dog and any friends who accompany me). That said, fingers crossed that I end up with more finds than DNFs!

Edited by DogArtist

My only goal related to numbers would be to find 500 earthcaches, but I do not expect to reach that this year.

My more immediate goal then is to have fun finding caches that take me for a nice walk or lead me to something interesting (photo ops in the area appreciated) and to ignore caches that are placed simply to place a cache.

Edited by geodarts

I've tried the cache a day thing before, but I never get very far. Life and weather get in the way lol I do have a goal to do more caching in the winter, cause I want to complete a local challenge cache that I fell short of last year. I want to find more than I did in 2012 and try and fill in more days on my caching calendar.

Well

#1 is have fun Geocaching!

#2 Maintain a .5 find per day rate, not sure if I will get this one. :blink:

#2 Fill in 1/2 of the remaining caches in the the every day of the year chart.

#3. Log Barney Smith's Toilet seat cache.

#4. Log the Key West Earth Cache.

#5. Complete the 20 states cached challange

#6. Remember goal #1 :D

Edited by captnemo

I'd like to achieve my first goal from 2012 on which I made no progress.

I'd like to make more progress on GC11PZW - Tequila: 81 Proof - only 21 more to go -- but they're increasing in rarity and difficulty (don't click that link if you are staying under the PMO audit log radar).

I feel I will be able to fulfill the requirements for GC2B1PF - Ontario Challenge - Yours to Discover

If I win the lottery, I will mount an expedition to GCDFB - 4.5lb Walleye

I'd like to organize an event that is within the Toronto city limits. Rather than complain about there not being one for more than three years (!!?) I will have put up or shut up and run my own.

My only goal related to numbers would be to find 500 earthcaches, but I do not expect to reach that this year.

My more immediate goal then is to have fun finding caches that take me for a nice walk or lead me to something interesting (photo ops in the area appreciated) and to ignore caches that are placed simply to place a cache.

Oh I wish! Considering it took us a year in EC heavier location that our home to find 50ish (getting our total up to 100) I think 500 will unfortunately take a couple of more years. :( Oh well, we'll get there in the end B)

Well #1 is have fun Geocaching!

#2 Maintain a .5 find per day rate, not sure if I will get this one. :blink:

#2 Fill in 1/2 of the cache every day of the year chart.

#3. Log Barney Smith's Toilet seat cache.

#4. Log the Key West Earth Cache.

#5. Remember goal #1 :D

You have two #2's. Besides that, the goals 1, 2a, 2b, and 5 apply to me.

Others:

-Use GSAK/Google Earth more. I'm just learning, and I can see the power that can be done.

-One Hide a month.

Edited by gustav129

2013 Geocache Goals:

1. Find 250 unknown/mystery caches

2. Finish finding caches in the last 37 Iowa counties and 20 Iowa DeLorme pages.

3. Add a few more states to the states-cached list.

4. Find caches while biking RAGBRAI again this year.

5. Put out caches along one of the bike trails.

6. Place a multi in Iowa that is as long and complicated as The Day of The Dead GCF260

Edited by bramasoleiowa

We are retired and live on the east coast of CANADA

A lot of what we do revolves around caching and we often think ahead, planning our next adventure. We also keep our eye on our numbers and set goals to keep things interesting

Here are some of our goals and plans. I know it seems like a long list but caching is our job.

Goals

*Keep having fun

*Continue our caching streak as long as possible (now at 360 days)

*Find 3650 caches in 2013 for a 10 per day average

*Try to have 5 cache finds on every day of the calendar.

Plans

*Continue having fun

*A few Spring and Fall trips to Prince Edward Island to finish off the Confederation Trail caches on bike and explore some of the areas where recent series have been placed

*We have never been to many areas of Nova Scotia so this year we will be using geocaching to get us to new areas. We also hope to do some of the long series that we see on our caching map. We have never cached in Cape Breton so that is also possible.

*We are thinking a little drive down the eastern US to hit some of the states that we havent done yet. Also hoping to add another country to our stats.

*We want to go to the first cache and to Groundspeak HQ. (actually we are flying to SF Calif for son's wedding, but a little detour may happen during our visit)

*Attend two canadian MEGA events (New brunswick & Quebec)

*Place a long series of caches on the trail between Bouctouche and the Bouctouche Dunes. Bike in summer. snowshoe in winter.

*Target a wooded area with a couple of caching friends to place maybe a 100 caches.

*We have an Ice Walk event at our place every year where cachers cross the ice to 2 islands to pick up some caches. We need to get to the islands before the event to maintain the caches and maybe place a few more

*Next trip to Ottawa pick up more of the 150 puzzles that MA has solved.

*Place more of our Micro Logic puzzle caches in Ottawa

*Continue attending events and making new friends

One of our major plans is to add a third member to team hzoi this year. So, I think my other geocaching goals are going to have to scale back a bit from what they've been in the past. That said, let's see how many of these I can knock out.

- Roll over to 5,000 finds in March so we can get the traditional gift of a pack of Depends -- for some reason Kelly really wants those adult diapers!

- Get our US state count up to at least 40. Heck, let's be optimistic and make it 42. (Currently at 36 + DC.)

- Complete the Alabam State Park Geocaching Challenge and log the final.

- Qualify for and log Alabama's Ultimate Challenge.

- Qualify for (and log, if possible) the original WRC/Fizzy Challenge.

- Start making headway on Oklahoma challenges!

Mine is at least one cache everyday.

I predict that you will regret making that goal before the end of the year.

It always astonishes me that people can make something as enjoyable as geocaching into a chore.

It is not a chore for us, it is an adventure. This past week the temperatures have been minus 30 windchill and we had two snow storms of more than 1 foot each. Despite that we have kept our streak going and it is now at 361 days.

I think I've outdone myself in 2012.

749 caches found. (You go caching with my brother!) I doubt I'll ever replicate that. Three new Canadian provinces. 207 caches found in September.

Need to work on my Fizzy and Jasmer Challenges.

But my goal is to continue to have fun geocaching!

My Goal is to solve and find all of the Harry Dolphin puzzle caches in NY and NJ. I am having a great time attaining this goal.

#1 continue to have fun

#2 reach at least 200 (I'm at 166 or something like that)

#3 place 5 more geocaches.

#4 not really related but geocaching is helping me go from couch to 5k!

Oh! i forgot! #5 release more travel bugs! (they are what got me into geocaching)

Edited by hippietwinkie

Here are my caching resolutions for this year:

1. Complete this challenge cache: And all the rest have 31... (hoping for March if the weather will cooperate). I have 28 days completed and have 3 left - and they all fall on weekend days in March.

2. Continue to pick away at finding a cache hidden every month since the inception of geocaching (Jasmer challenge). Hubby and I will be traveling in June and my planning has already begun! I currently need 17 more months, and figure I should be able to get at least 12 of these without too much difficulty.

3. Do more hiking by the river that goes through my city. It's so pretty!

4. Head out on a solo weekend caching/camping adventure. I did this 2 years in a row, then life kept me busy so I haven't done this for a few years now. It's a nice way to explore caches in the country!

5. Get my finds up to 4500 by year's end (which means finding about 1200 caches this year).

6. Make an effort to hook up with other cachers to go caching more frequently.

1. Hopefully complete the Washington History Challenge, assuming I can survive the one boat cache

2. Double up on my calendar (there is a challenge requiring 2 finds per grid)

3. Visit more cool places

4. Use the ignore list more often in places that do not appeal to me after a quick search. Tried one cache in the last few days that I could not find but it was within 3 feet or on a dumpster.

I have 2 goals, to have fun caching and to do a 5/5 this year. I was toying with the idea of filling my D/T grid this year but I wonder if I put a requirement on myself, will that take some of the fun out of it for me?

Nah. The trick is to treat it as a goal, not a requirement. (And not to get too bent out of shape if any holes appear because someone changed the rating on their cache.)

2013 Geo-Goals

1. No trips to urgent-care clinic for tick bites that turned big and green/purple or my eyes swelling shut from poison something.

2. Hit 2500 finds.

3. Don't fall out of any trees, down any steep hills, etc.

4. Go back and find a few caches that I had trouble finding the first, second, third, etc. time.

5. Avoid any contact with local law enforcement while at a cache.

6. Place more caches.

7. Have FUN!

I'd like to simultaneously complete The Great 88 Counties of Ohio and the Ohio Delorme Challenge this summer on my motorcycle. Over the winter, I'm planning my routes to see how long it will take me.

Ohh, that's a good one. I wish I had a motorcycle back when I did the Great 88 (I still need to grab the actual cache for that challenge...been putting it off for years now). There are a lot of great roads around Ohio. I've been thinking about finishing up the Ohio Delorme mainly by bike. That's more of a long term goal for me, not something I expect to do all this year.

Edited by Mr. 0