Worst idea for a geocache container ever?

bluelamb03

Here's where the cache owner lost all credibility with me:

Many people around my area felt that I brought fresh ideas to some stale caches and many wanted to buy them. I started my etsy shop and the grenade was one of the first listings. Two weeks after I opened the shop, I placed one of these in a cache and called it "Pineapple surprise". I described exactly what it was and it passed the review and I got RAVE reviews from those who found it.

(Emphasis in bold is mine)

Let me repeat what I posted before:

If someone told me that they hid a fake hand grenade a short distance away from a fire hydrant, I'd decline publication under the "appears to be a bomb" clause of the listing guidelines. Many hiders, however, are not so forthcoming. This one described their container as a "4 inch oval plastic container painted camo."

When engaging in a battle of whits, do not dhistort the fhacts.

Yep... that's pretty much where I lost it. You neglected to point out this minor inconsistency-

"I asked my reviewer if he would mind checking out my products on etsy. He e-mailed me back and said he liked all of them except this one and explained the whole bomb threat deal and sent me links to articles etc "

The same Reviewer approved, then condemned the container in question?? I cannot say... let's just say I'm skeptical.:rolleyes:

Good to see a Reviewer note explaining the container has been changed. But... in the spirit of skepticism... It would be great if a finder would confirm that.:ph34r:

OK, from now on, whenever I speel something wrong, I'm just going to say it's a Malpropism. In the immortal words of Pee Wee Herman, "I meant to do that". :)

No, it's only a malapropism if your spell checker doesn't see anything wrong with it (because it's a real word), and you only think you know what the word means (but you're really confusing it with another word.

"Your ambition - is that right - is to abseil across the English channel?"

Cilla Black

"It is beyond my apprehension."

Danny Ozark, baseball team manager

"Listen to the blabbing brook."

Norm Crosby

"This is unparalyzed in the state's history."

Gib Lewis, Texas Speaker of the House

"We cannot let terrorists and rogue nations hold this nation hostile or hold our allies hostile."

George W. Bush

"He was a man of great statue."

Thomas Menino, Boston mayor

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child."

Dan Quayle, Vice President

"Well, that was a cliff-dweller."

Wes Westrum, about a close baseball game

"If Gower had stopped that [cricket ball] he would have decapitated his hand."

Farokh Engineer

"We seem to have unleased a hornet's nest."

Valerie Singleton

Source: Fun with Words

Noun 1. whit - a tiny or scarcely detectable amount whit - a tiny or scarcely detectable amount

iota, scintilla, shred, smidge, smidgen, smidgeon, smidgin, tittle

small indefinite amount, small indefinite quantity - an indefinite quantity that is below average size or magnitude

Actually, he's implying that he has atomic weapons, but he's not going to use them. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

OK, from now on, whenever I speel something wrong, I'm just going to say it's a Malpropism. In the immortal words of Pee Wee Herman, "I meant to do that". :)

No, it's only a malapropism if your spell checker doesn't see anything wrong with it (because it's a real word), and you only think you know what the word means (but you're really confusing it with another word.

"Your ambition - is that right - is to abseil across the English channel?"

Cilla Black

"It is beyond my apprehension."

Danny Ozark, baseball team manager

"Listen to the blabbing brook."

Norm Crosby

"This is unparalyzed in the state's history."

Gib Lewis, Texas Speaker of the House

"We cannot let terrorists and rogue nations hold this nation hostile or hold our allies hostile."

George W. Bush

"He was a man of great statue."

Thomas Menino, Boston mayor

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child."

Dan Quayle, Vice President

"Well, that was a cliff-dweller."

Wes Westrum, about a close baseball game

"If Gower had stopped that [cricket ball] he would have decapitated his hand."

Farokh Engineer

"We seem to have unleased a hornet's nest."

Valerie Singleton

Source: Fun with Words

You speak with such certainty that "I made a hand grenade cache guy" is actually "I made a clever Malapropism guy", rather than "I don't know how to speel wit guy". I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're one of the dozen's of people who emailed him personally, but one of the few he deems intelligent enough to respond to. Am I right? :anicute:

EDIT: For the record, I did not email "I made a hand grenade cache guy". Nor am I intelligent enough too. Hey, I used the wrong to. I meant to do that. Malapropism, you know. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I dont even know how that would get passed by a reviewer, I mean isnt it their job to kind of get rid of these potentially dangerous caches?

Reviewers can only enforce what they know about. Most often, the CO doesn't describe the container. In this case, it was described as 'an oval plastic container' which gives folks these images. <= linky pooh

Edited by Moose Mob

Do you know which cache is was, Oxford Stone?

I wish I did - what's intriguing is that there are no traditional caches in University Parks - just a couple on the far side of the river. What Oxford has plenty of is fiendish mystery / multis - so it must be part of one of those. Take a look at the map and you will see what I mean.I'd bet on one of the Lewis ones. Not the alchemy one which looks like it's going to be very close to the Uni chemistry department. There has been trouble in this area in recent years from the anti-vivisection lobby when a new research lab was built (don't get me started...) so if someone thought it was suspicious then fair enough.

Do you know which cache is was, Oxford Stone?

I wish I did - what's intriguing is that there are no traditional caches in University Parks - just a couple on the far side of the river. What Oxford has plenty of is fiendish mystery / multis - so it must be part of one of those. Take a look at the map and you will see what I mean.I'd bet on one of the Lewis ones. Not the alchemy one which looks like it's going to be very close to the Uni chemistry department. There has been trouble in this area in recent years from the anti-vivisection lobby when a new research lab was built (don't get me started...) so if someone thought it was suspicious then fair enough.

It could be an Open/Navi/Terra Cache.

I dont even know how that would get passed by a reviewer, I mean isnt it their job to kind of get rid of these potentially dangerous caches?

Reviewers can only enforce what they know about. Most often, the CO doesn't describe the container. In this case, it was described as 'an oval plastic container' which gives folks these images. <= linky pooh

Google at it's best. Halfway down the page is an image of a guy that has a big oval stingray bite wound.

The fake hand grenade cache in the OP was archived today. Although he had changed the container to something different, he never reenabled it and seems to have lost interest. Although as of today, his site still has 25 fake hand grenades available for sale as cache containers.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

If I found this, I would take it with me and toss it in the trash. Probably inside another container to prevent a bomb scare in the city dump.

Shaun

Better make sure that the other container doesn't open. Already saw ones in the news that a live one was found while unloading a dumb truck.

Is this a malappropriation? :lol:

If I found this, I would take it with me and toss it in the trash. Probably inside another container to prevent a bomb scare in the city dump.

Shaun

Better make sure that the other container doesn't open. Already saw ones in the news that a live one was found while unloading a dumb truck.

It was just a dump typographical error! :ph34r:

Shaun

There is actually a worse idea for a cache. Fortunately, it didn't last long. A newbie hid a pill bottle containing empty pill capsules.

Shaun

There is actually a worse idea for a cache. Fortunately, it didn't last long. A newbie hid a pill bottle containing empty pill capsules.

That won't get the bomb squad called out to blow it up.

That won't get the bomb squad called out to blow it up.

No, the police will just confiscate the "drug stash". Or stake the area out and wait for someone to retrieve it.

Edited by Kacher82

I came across this item on ebay and was reminded of this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item462f9eec8f

It even makes noise...

Sorry for bumping a dead thread.

Wow, someone else now thinks that fake hand grenades are good ideas for geocaches. :blink:

From close up it looks fake, but have it spotted by a LEO some distance away in connection to a suspicious person report and there could be some problems...

It wasn't a commercial product, but GC10PZ1 appears to have intentionally been made to look like a pipe bomb:

f4f7dcbe-f9ae-4d4a-be5b-1b86c897468f.jpg

In a forest that wouldn't startle me as a cache, because I know of no sinister groups intent on blowing up trees. (However, maybe I should check by calling the Arbor Day Foundation.) On the other foot, a muggle might be alarmed if they went off trail and saw it.

It even makes noise...

Wow, someone else now thinks that fake hand grenades are good ideas for geocaches. :blink:

From close up it looks fake, but have it spotted by a LEO some distance away in connection to a suspicious person report and there could be some problems...

Not a good idea for a cache but i did get a laugh out of the ebay description.

Cachers will be searching for hours for this Sneaky Pete creation, some my never find it without a hint from others.

Not quite sure why that thing would be so hard to spot. :blink:

It even makes noise...

Common sense left this game a long time ago and power trails took over. :anibad:

Ah, but common sense can return. *Placement* of the grenade is the key. Don't put it in a pine tree as in the photo - some fruitcake is sure to be terrified. Instead, place it near a playground, where it will be obvious it's a toy.

:ph34r:

And while we chatter, "Sneaky Pete's" PayPal account grows!

It even makes noise...

Not a good idea for a cache but i did get a laugh out of the ebay description.

Cachers will be searching for hours for this Sneaky Pete creation, some my never find it without a hint from others.

Not quite sure why that thing would be so hard to spot. :blink:

Cachers will be searching for hours for this Sneaky Pete creation, some my never find it without a hint from others. And who's to say once they find it, they'll even want to touch it, in fear of being blown away. It's camo in color so it blends in well and it actually makes an explosion sound when you pull the pin out to retrieve the bison tube to sign the log. It's easy to hide, just find a good spot where muggles want see it, attach it with the ring that's on the bison tube or simply just lay it in some brush, or the fork of a tree, and your done.

It doesn't sound like Sneaky Pete is a genius.

From the guidelines:

Select an appropriate location and container.

Think about how your container and the actions of geocachers seeking it will be perceived by the public. Although your cache will be hidden with landowner or land manager permission, concerned passersby who are unaware of geocaching, may view people searching the property as suspicious. Containers that could be perceived as a bomb or another dangerous item should not be placed. To reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as dangerous by non-geocachers, and being permanently archived by Groundspeak, use common sense when selecting hiding places and containers.

So the three previous examples should not be hidden, regardless of location.

From the guidelines:

Select an appropriate location and container.

Think about how your container and the actions of geocachers seeking it will be perceived by the public. Although your cache will be hidden with landowner or land manager permission, concerned passersby who are unaware of geocaching, may view people searching the property as suspicious. Containers that could be perceived as a bomb or another dangerous item should not be placed. To reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as dangerous by non-geocachers, and being permanently archived by Groundspeak, use common sense when selecting hiding places and containers.

So the three previous examples should not be hidden, regardless of location.

I would take a grenade cache with me. I would post a note that I would be willing to drop the cache off at the nearest police station where the cache owner could pick it up and explain to them how a grenade replica is a fun cache idea.

I would take a grenade cache with me. I would post a note that I would be willing to drop the cache off at the nearest police station where the cache owner could pick it up and explain to them how a grenade replica is a fun cache idea.

That is a common sense response to an inappropriate cache container. Yet once when a friend of mine removed a pipe bomb looking cache from a telephone pole they got reprimanded from the powers to be.