Did I find a benchmark?

PSJKids

I found this while setting a Geocache and I have done a coordinate ( N28.55577, W080.844882 )search on the GC Benchmark site and on the GC Waymark sites but cannot come up with anything on it. It is a disk set into a small concrete pillar sticking out of the ground about a foot or so and it is solidly mounted underground even though the ground where I found it was soft and mucky. I am a big guy and when I hit this thing with my left boot, it took me to the ground without it moving at all. Does anyone have any idea what kind of marker this is and/or where I would find info on it? I Googled the GWW RLS 5075 both with the periods and without and only got reference to something not at this area of town.

mb7h5c.jpg

213ok9c.jpgW0

I don't know much about benchmarks, but when I did a search of that area, I didn't see the benchmark listed under "nearest benchmarks" on a geocaching page, nor a benchmark waymark on Waymarking.com ("nearest waymarks" from the geocaching page). But if you can find the info, it would be great if you could waymark it yourself!

Not all survey markers have a witness post. But if you'd like to see a picture of one of them, here is a picture that I took for a survey marker along the Trail of Tears in my county. The sign on the post actually says Witness Post and gives some other information. (Unfortunately, not the location of the actual survey marker in relation to the post. :( )

On the other hand, I've been in an area where there was a witness post and three trees that had signs nailed on them that said Witness Tree; but I could not locate the survey marker. (It looked like a road grader may have pushed dirt over the edge of the road and buried the marker.)

And then there are situations where the witness post is still there but the survey marker has been destroyed.

Have fun!

Interestingly enough, this benchmark also refers to GWW. Search for it and you'll see: FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION 1950 (GWW). However, a Google search for Florida Department of Transportation GWW or G. W. W. doesn't give you much.

As to the R. L. S., that's probably something-'Ruther Land Survey. Hope you figure out what it is.

Edited by MountainWoods