The impossible day?

Rustynails

Not impossible, but they were definitely using one or more of the power trail shortcuts/techniques/optimizations. 1502 caches in a 24 hour period comes out to one cache every 57.5 seconds. I doubt that even a team of cachers could find each one, sign it, put it back, and make it to the next one within 57.5 seconds. There would have to be some three cache monte or leapfrogging going on.

If (and that's a big "if") I ever made it down there to do that trail, I'd do it the legitimate way: find each one, sign each one, and put each one back where I found it. That is, I'd treat them like any other cache. If that means it would take several days to do it, then so be it.

How is this possible? Best Day 1502 caches in one day on 11/26/2011 :rolleyes:

http://www.geocachin...a79c580cd1&ds=2

Just goes to show that the numbers don't mean a thing. I believe it was Moe the Sleaze who was the first in Minnesota to log 1000 caches, and that took him several years and a lot of driving. Now somebody can beat that by 50% in a single day (or at least lay claim to it) Maybe eventually stunts like this, instead of increasing the importance of find count, will actually bring some sense of reason to it. No, I don't believe that they got that many finds in a day by finding and logging them one by one, but the fact that they will go ahead and count them as finds just goes to show how bogus the whole numbers part of the game really is.

I'd say that 1,502 is mathematically doable, so I have no reason to doubt the claim. To paraphrase Vizzini, "Never underestimate a geocacher when numbers are on the line". But we are probably reaching the upper level of what can be achieved mathematically speaking. I doubt there will be any more huge leaps in the the record. Any new ones will be small increments. That is assuming that the participants are using techniques that resemble actual geocaching.

The sky is the limit with methods like leapfrogging and three cache monte, but that nonsense really ain't geocaching.

Edited by briansnat

I'd say that 1,502 is mathematically doable, so I have no reason to doubt the claim.

The sky is the limit with methods like leapfrogging and three cache monte, but that nonsense really ain't geocaching.

It may be mathematically doable, but (IMHO) it would be physically impossible for a single cacher to do it. Unless they use one of the methods that, as you admit, really ain't geocaching.

One more reason I do not pay any attention to anyones numbers except mine. They can claim whatever they want, and if they like their numbers so be it. I'm sure I am not the only one who doesn't believe anyone really got that many in a day. <_<

I'd say that 1,502 is mathematically doable, so I have no reason to doubt the claim.

It may be mathematically doable, but (IMHO) it would be physically impossible for a single cacher to do it. Unless they use one of the methods that, as you admit, really ain't geocaching.

One more reason I do not pay any attention to anyones numbers except mine. They can claim whatever they want, and if they like their numbers so be it. I'm sure I am not the only one who doesn't believe anyone really got that many in a day. <_<

A single cacher no, but caching as a team with a driver and a searcher or two sounds like geocaching to me.

But we are probably reaching the upper level of what can be achieved mathematically speaking. I doubt there will be any more huge leaps in the the record. Any new ones will be small increments. That is assuming that the participants are using techniques that resemble actual geocaching.

That's why we need event stacking. Make an event at each cache along the power trail. Easy way to double a day's count. :lol:

A single cacher no, but caching as a team with a driver and a searcher or two sounds like geocaching to me.

Maybe to you, but to me only the one who signs the log gets the smiley. Even with a driver and a searcher, I still say it would be physically impossible to do this many in 24 hours. It would require multiple cars, and multiple searchers, looking for separate caches.

One cache every minute for 24 hours. No bathroom breaks, no meal breaks, and no time spent in front of a state patrol car waiting for him to write the ticket so you can get going again. :D

Maybe to you, but to me only the one who signs the log gets the smiley.
I'm no fan of numbers run trails, but I'm not going to hold people who do them to a higher standard than I myself follow. There are plenty of caches I've logged where I didn't write my own name on the log. Sometimes, someone else wrote my name on the log. Sometimes, I wrote a team name for everyone in the group. Sometimes, someone else wrote a team name. There have even been cases where I was the first person to spot the cache, but I never actually touched it or the log.

Even with a driver and a searcher, I still say it would be physically impossible to do this many in 24 hours. It would require multiple cars, and multiple searchers, looking for separate caches.
While leapfrogging is one technique that could have been used, I don't think it is necessary. The teams I know who have done numbers run trails have used a single vehicle so there was no question of leapfrogging. Some of them did play three cache monte though. But a single vehicle was able to hit a peak rate of about 100 caches per hour. Maintaining an average around 60 caches per hour then becomes a matter of endurance, optimizing the time spent on biological needs, optimizing refueling, rotating duties to avoid fatigue, etc.

Maybe to you, but to me only the one who signs the log gets the smiley. Even with a driver and a searcher, I still say it would be physically impossible to do this many in 24 hours. It would require multiple cars, and multiple searchers, looking for separate caches.

One cache every minute for 24 hours. No bathroom breaks, no meal breaks, and no time spent in front of a state patrol car waiting for him to write the ticket so you can get going again. :D

Based on that rule I'd say several thousand is possible, have a team of people going ahead of one cacher finding the caches, opening and removing the logs then one cacher drives by, stamps the log and moves on to the next. At 2 caches/minute that's 2880 in 24 hours but I think one could sign more than 2/minute this way.

I do know someone who's done the E.T. highway alone and he did 700+ caches in one day, I'll be doing route 66 this month. My daughter will be driving and my son will help find/open the caches. I will sign every one so I'll see how many I can do in on day.

Edited by Roman!
Maybe to you, but to me only the one who signs the log gets the smiley.
I'm no fan of numbers run trails, but I'm not going to hold people who do them to a higher standard than I myself follow. There are plenty of caches I've logged where I didn't write my own name on the log. Sometimes, someone else wrote my name on the log. Sometimes, I wrote a team name for everyone in the group. Sometimes, someone else wrote a team name. There have even been cases where I was the first person to spot the cache, but I never actually touched it or the log.

I admit I said that wrong. I have found a few where several of us found a cache, and one person signed. What I was thinking is only those who saw the cache, and were at the site should get the smiley.

Let me also add that I don't care what someone claims. If they feel good about it who am I to say they are wrong? At least in their minds. But when they come on line and brag about it, I reserve the right to tell them I think they are being silly.

I did use the term "three cache monte", but I guess I am not really sure what is meant by that. However, if it means anything other than each of the cachers claiming the cache, actually being at the cache, then I wouldn't claim it.

I could be wrong, (I often am, B) ) but I still maintain that one person or team cannot find that many in a 24 hour period.

Ok, I did a search on three card monte. Also on leapfrogging.

Leapfrogging - a large team divides; the groups alternate caches, each finding only some of the caches (every other one with 2 groups, every third one with 3 groups, etc.) but logging them all online

Three Cache Monte - each Cache is replaced with a similar container containing a pre-signed log; the log in the original container is signed en route to the next cache, where it is used as the replacement container

Anyone claiming a huge number of finds using leapfrogging is just fooling themselves. There is no rational way to claim you found a cache you weren't at, but had someone else sign.

If you use the three cache monte, you might have some claim. However, even using this method, I do not believe the numbers claimed are possible.

I think I might run a marathon using a mobility scooter. Same thing as running, right. :huh::blink::P

I did a tiny piece of the ET trail in November, here's what I know about it:

If the caches are on the side the fetchers/signers/rubber-stampers are on it can be done extremely fast. The caches are all in little piles of stones, 3 to 5 each, right next to the road so are very easy to spot. Driving 528 feet takes only seconds, the worst of it is prying the tops off the containers, finding a blank spot on the log, signing/stamping and then replacing. Honestly, a well organized crew could run the whole trail in 24 hours it they scouted it first, so they'd know which stretches they need to attack in which order and from the right direction.

All by my lonesome I managed about 100 caches in about 2 hours, taking time to snap a few pictures and one quick little nature break. The worst of it was injuring a thumbnail on those infernal lids, some of which stick pretty darn tight.

It was interesting work, but that's what it began to feel like - work. I spent some time in Goldfield, finding lots of cool old benchmarks and several caches along the way to the trail and back to camp. Made for a pretty full day with more to it than just numbers. Not entirely certain I'd want to run a whole trail of 2,000 caches in one day. I'd probably be a wreck the next day.

Stamina. Thats how this is done and plenty of caches to find .10 apart. Every time I read one of these "How did they do this" it's not possible threads I just shake my head and laugh. What does it really matter what soemone else finds in a day or is it people just want ot say it's not possible. Guess what people, it's possible with trails like the ET Highway. Been there, done that. :rolleyes: I was a nonbeliever til I actually tried it. Thats when I realized it was actually possible. :blink:

If you use the three cache monte, you might have some claim. However, even using this method, I do not believe the numbers claimed are possible.

If you find a cache every 57.5 seconds, then you'll find 1,502 caches in 24 hours.

Did you watch the video in Post #2? They found three caches in 160 seconds (53.33 seconds each). While they didn't maintain that rate for the whole 24 hours, it certainly appears as though teams have come close to that rate for a full day. Remember, the people in the video weren't even using the three-cache monte system.

Bring an ice chest full of food and drinks, along with some spare gas cans.

What I was thinking is only those who saw the cache, and were at the site should get the smiley.

As the caches are right next to the car..exactly.

Only on a power trail is driving a vehicle (and not leaving it) while someone else goes out and finds the cache considered a valid find. For traditional geocaching (with a small t) that would just be called driving.

Only on a power trail is driving a vehicle (and not leaving it) while someone else goes out and finds the cache considered a valid find. For traditional geocaching (with a small t) that would just be called driving.
It isn't just on specific numbers run trails like the ET Highway caches. Even before the existence of such numbers run trails, it was normal to include the driver (or drivers, when duties were rotated among team members) as part of the team on numbers runs.

Did the ET highway last year (1500 caches) this year we came back to finish the expanded 2000 off.

Our best day last year and this was with 6 people was 856 caches. We started on the route at about 8:30am and didn't stop for lunch and kept going until about 7:00pm for a sit down dinner, then got back on the trail and went until something like 2:00am. We went pretty hard most of the day, with only short breaks to change drivers, fill up the gas tank, or to get out a stretch for a few seconds. We used the cache replacement method and had a very good system set up, some of the faster jumpers averaged a cache every 40 seconds or slight less. These guys, myself included would run to each and every cache.

Leap Frogging isn't geocaching IMO, driving past a cache and claiming a find isn't what it's all about. A person should have some interaction with the cache to make the find, looking for it, grabbing it, signing the log book, rehiding it, driving to it etc...

That said, I am not sure if 1500 caches in a single day is possible without leap froging, replacing caches as well as some other tricks. Some cachers up here if they are caching late into the night after midnight still count it as the first day. Another problem would be finding the caches after the sun has gone down, adds extra seconds per cache.

I won't be jumping in on the debate about what is right and what isn't. To each their own, so long as it doesn't affect anyone elses fun.

But I will jump in and say this:

That ET Highway was one heck of a workout. We took longer than 24 hours to do it, but we wrecked a rental car (figuratively), almost killed an old guy, and made me pretty sore for a few days. It was fun. But it was a workout.

It isn't just on specific numbers run trails like the ET Highway caches. Even before the existence of such numbers run trails, it was normal to include the driver (or drivers, when duties were rotated among team members) as part of the team on numbers runs.

So basically, it's okay for the driver of a vehicle to log a find without even getting out of the vehicle when the goal is to find as many caches as possible?

So basically, it's okay for the driver of a vehicle to log a find without even getting out of the vehicle when the goal is to find as many caches as possible?
I won't comment on whether it's okay for the driver to stay in the vehicle, but teams on numbers runs have been doing it that way since at least May 2008.

I won't comment on the "when the goal is to find as many caches as possible" part, but I will comment on drivers logging finds without leaving the vehicle.

When caching with others, I'm usually the one driving. There have been times when we've been at a park 'n' grab, and I haven't gotten out, yet still logged a find. This one, for example, was only feet from the car when I parked. I could see the hiding spot from inside the car. The passenger got out and took about 2 steps to retrieve the container and brought it back to the car. Was I really supposed to get out and walk around to the other side of the car, solely to claim a find? I was there, I saw the hiding spot which was about 10 feet away, I saw the container and the contents, and I signed the log. My conscience is just fine with claiming a find in cases like these.

I just got back from Route 66 and I logged just over 500 caches in 8 hours including a gas break, and 1/2 hour food break. My daughter drove, my son ran to the cache, opened it and had the log ready to sign when I got there(I signed every log) We got into a grove and were finding 80+ caches/hour.

After lunch the kids started getting grumpy and things slowed down quite a bit until we packed it in for the day.

Is 1500 possible without "cheating"? I'd say yes, I think a team of 5 or 6 dedicated cachers aletrnating roles and break could sign 2000 logs in 1 day without 3 cache monte or leapfrogging.

Porta-potty and alot of caffeine? :blink:

We have the porta-potty, but to maintain the average, it would have to used while the cachemobile is in motion. Pack food and drink? Can do. Want to? Nope - I'd rather enjoy the trip, but each to their own.

The porta-potty (:Dcamping toilet from Canadian Tire) has saved me on many occasions! :D

Logging as a group, as I see it, is not much different than family teams logging in two different locations during the same time period ie one member logging caches in England and the other member in the US on the same day. This is probably not as common as PowerTrail team caching, but hey to each their own. What about the person who stamps logs on PT's with name but doesn't date them. Then they can log the find as needed to fill in a day they missed when trying to do a cache a day. To my way of thinking they are only fooling themselves and that is their prerogative I guess. :unsure:

Logging as a group, as I see it, is not much different than family teams logging in two different locations during the same time period ie one member logging caches in England and the other member in the US on the same day. This is probably not as common as PowerTrail team caching, but hey to each their own. What about the person who stamps logs on PT's with name but doesn't date them. Then they can log the find as needed to fill in a day they missed when trying to do a cache a day. To my way of thinking they are only fooling themselves and that is their prerogative I guess. :unsure:

I cache with other people often and when one of us finds a cache that person usually signs the group in since we are all the and involved in the find thus I think group logging a power trail is OK as well and has nothing to do with your point of a team with one cacher in one location and another in another location, this is a whole different animal.

As for signing and not dating so you can fill in a missed calendar day, again, a separate discussion, IMHO it is cheating.

Ironically I signed every single log on the Route 66 power trail but there are many, many logs I never personally signed while caching with friends.

Edited by Roman!

I'd rather spend 24 hours picking up some challenging caches, or highly favorites ones!

I've done that on many many occasions, but not only did I have fun doing a power trail I also got to spend a lot of time with my kids which in this hectic world is not easy to do. It's nice to try something different when you don't have a closed mind.

Just like any other experience, the people you're with can make or break it.

sorry.. I say NO.. it is not possible to do, the way it is supposed to be done,

however they can do it their way, and yes they can log what ever number they want that way,

dont be surprised when you see 2k or 3k or 4k logged by other teams..

if you do it the right way, I say you deserve the rights to fame and glory and to be proud of your achievement.

I did try my self to see and feel how hard or how impossible it is to do something similar.

we did find an area with four very good PT of over 100 each, all was located directly up the road,

all was hidden same way and was very easy to pickup,

no walk distance, no search time, just stop, pick up, open, sign, close, hop in,

drive 161meters and so on..

the BEST hr we got 46 caches

lets imagine in theory we could continue that pace with no slow down !

no brakes, no rest, no food, just full speed !!

46 x 24 = 1104 (our in theory max possible)

now lets move from theory to real world,

YES we got tired, yes we needed rest and food,

anyone speeping or eating is not participating, this means he is not finding caches,

if others do, fine for them, but they dont count for the one sleeping.

we did record a curve of our finds every hrs, this I recommend others to do too

it is very interesting to see :-)

we did run out of power trail caches after 7 hrs,

but we continued another 8hrs finding normal easy fast caches, our find rate on those was 10-17 pr hr

we knew from start we would run out of caches, and we also know we could impossibly do this for 24 full hrs

so we did not start at 00:00..

we teamed up at 700 and was on location at 800

our curve is here:

http://coord.info/GL97Y25K

as a side comment:

I newer drove the Route66

but as I see the pictures and videos, it looks like a normal road, with a nice wide side, where it is easy to stop a car

and hop out to pick up the cache, the power trail we did was very similar, our caches was about 2-10 paces from the road

and ultra easy to find, with screw lit takes only a few sec to handle.

and all our power trail caches was done during daylight

another side comment:

we are not beginners, and we did perform test runs before this trip

where a few details where found and improved, so we could find more faster,

there is NO way we belive it is possible to truely find over 46 pr hr and continue this from 00:00 tol 23:59

a full DATE !!

sorry.. I say NO.. it is not possible to do, the way it is supposed to be done,

however they can do it their way, and yes they can log what ever number they want that way,

dont be surprised when you see 2k or 3k or 4k logged by other teams..

if you do it the right way, I say you deserve the rights to fame and glory and to be proud of your achievement.

I did try my self to see and feel how hard or how impossible it is to do something similar.

we did find an area with four very good PT of over 100 each, all was located directly up the road,

all was hidden same way and was very easy to pickup,

no walk distance, no search time, just stop, pick up, open, sign, close, hop in,

drive 161meters and so on..

the BEST hr we got 46 caches

lets imagine in theory we could continue that pace with no slow down !

no brakes, no rest, no food, just full speed !!

46 x 24 = 1104 (our in theory max possible)

now lets move from theory to real world,

YES we got tired, yes we needed rest and food,

anyone speeping or eating is not participating, this means he is not finding caches,

if others do, fine for them, but they dont count for the one sleeping.

we did record a curve of our finds every hrs, this I recommend others to do too

it is very interesting to see :-)

we did run out of power trail caches after 7 hrs,

but we continued another 8hrs finding normal easy fast caches, our find rate on those was 10-17 pr hr

we knew from start we would run out of caches, and we also know we could impossibly do this for 24 full hrs

so we did not start at 00:00..

we teamed up at 700 and was on location at 800

our curve is here:

http://coord.info/GL97Y25K

as a side comment:

I newer drove the Route66

but as I see the pictures and videos, it looks like a normal road, with a nice wide side, where it is easy to stop a car

and hop out to pick up the cache, the power trail we did was very similar, our caches was about 2-10 paces from the road

and ultra easy to find, with screw lit takes only a few sec to handle.

and all our power trail caches was done during daylight

another side comment:

we are not beginners, and we did perform test runs before this trip

where a few details where found and improved, so we could find more faster,

there is NO way we belive it is possible to truely find over 46 pr hr and continue this from 00:00 tol 23:59

a full DATE !!

With my son and daughter and no experience we averaged 70+ caches per hour for 7 hours, we packed it in because firstly they aren't cachers and secondly they are kids but I believe with the right team, maybe 5-6 people this pace can be maintained for 24 hours.

If we could do it for 1/3 of a day then it can be done for a full day.

I personally signed every cache at GZ.

Edited by Roman!

>we averaged 70+ caches per hour

AMAZING, well done there Roman :-)

do you really think it is possible to continue at same speed for 3 times as long ?

maybe I am old ? but I say the speed go down, 24hrs THAT active is VERY different from just 7hrs.

Yes I do, my daughter only drove, my son and I ran, I could have physically kept going, we all could have but it was boring for them, maybe not 24 hours but If you had a team, lets say 4 people, you'd spend 1/2 hour driving, 1/2 hour finding/opening, 1/2 hour signing and 1/2 hour resting then I think maintaining 70-80 caches/hour for 24 hours would be doable. Make the team 5 or 6 and it could be quite easy.

Get a vehicle with no doors (youd be surprised how much time doors waste when you multiply it by 800) and I'm convinced 2000+ caches in a days is legitimately possible.

Edited by Roman!

Over in another thread I wondered what kind of record could be set in a 24 hours period without vehicle support. In other words, park a vehicle at the first cache on a long PT, then go from cache to cache entirely on foot. No leap frogging, no three cache monty. After crunching some numbers, based upon an average walking speed, a realistic amount time at each cache, and more caches .1 of a mile apart from each other than would be possible to do in a 24 period, I figured that if someone could maintain an average walking speed (about 3mph) for 24 hours they might be able to do about 600 in a day. I supposed someone in very good physical condition could jog for a portion of that but that would only decrease the average amount of in between caches a small amount. Frankly, I think most people would have a difficult time just walking for 24 hours straight so it would be interesting to see just how long it would take for someone to find all 2000 caches on the E.T. trail if it was done entirely on foot (I'm not volunteering).