How to begin

sailhard

I'm obviously a newbie to creating one of these. I'm using urwigo since the Wherigo builder always crashes on my computer. I can't find any english based tutorials anywhere, not any helpful links in the forum to date. I'm trying to create a simple cartridge that includes several zones. I want the cacher to go from zone to zone, with each zone appearing once they have gone to the last one. Any helpful hints here?

Thanks very much.

sailhard

I don't know of a tutorial using Urwigo. And not to sound like I'm urging you to switch, but you can accomplish what you want with Wherigo\\kit, which pretty much makes cartridges for precisely the situation you want. Just right-click on the map to make a zone and choose which actions to perform. After you create a cartridge using Kit, you can download the GWZ (zip file containing the code) and import it into Urwigo to figure out how to make more cartridges. That's what Kit was made for, anyway; to be a gateway into learning Wherigo.

Also, check out my Great List of Open Source Cartridges thread, pinned to the top of this forum. You can download those cartridges' code, import (many of) them into Urwigo, and learn from example.

There is a tutorial on the Wherigo site, by the way. It can easily be overlooked.

This is an important question: as new to Wherigo, what helped you grasp what was going on the most? What should additional tutorials take time to cover? Would video have helped more?

Some sort of Wizard would have been helpful, where you have 4 or 5 basic WHerigos to choose from, that take your hand and say, type the description. Type the starting coords, (is this a zone if it is show you a map around your coords for you to multiselect an area) once youve got the person to the zone what do you want them to do? answer a Q, talk to someone? pick something up? After you choose then you get a new menu creating the next bit. Its just there are so many boxes to fill out, i havent even got as far as setting my first zone and typing in the first Instructions. It kept bringing up more and more windows and asking for them to be saved as zones, or something else. So in answer, I havent grasped it yet. I have a lot of links from you to follow up and read, then I might grasp it more. I had hoped to look at a map (satellite of road) and chose my zone, but I kept getting error boxes, so I thought, ok, Im doing something else wrong here!

SHall I stick with Wherigo or try and understand Earwigo .. Maybe I just want too much lol

I certainly never found http://www.Wherigo.com/tutorial/index.aspx which is a good start!!!

This is great too thank you!! http://Wherigo.rangerfox.com/rangerfox/Wherigo/kit/Build.aspx

Edited by Sievebrain

Yeah, Wherigo\\kit is as good of a wizard as you're going to find. There are just so many things you can do with Wherigo that simplifying a builder's interface usually inevitably leads to taking features out.

Perhaps creating a video to walk you through creating different things on a cartridge would be good.

There's quite a bit of work ahead to get Wherigo where I want.

Yeah, Wherigo\\kit is as good of a wizard as you're going to find. There are just so many things you can do with Wherigo that simplifying a builder's interface usually inevitably leads to taking features out.

Perhaps creating a video to walk you through creating different things on a cartridge would be good.

There's quite a bit of work ahead to get Wherigo where I want.

Well from where Im sitting youre doing a great job :D