Geocaching + Skiing

ljvet

Hello - I had so much fun yesterday on Twin Lakes in Brooklyn Center, using my cross country skis to cross the lake to the island where I found 4 geocaches! Can anyone tell me of other places in the Twin Cities and/or Duluth area where I can ski and cache? FUN!

Thanks!

Linda

Not quite the area(s) you are inquiring about -- but, then not too far, either -- most of the northern U.P. of Michigan (all lake-effect area).

Copper Country - (Houghton/Keweenaw/Calumet and Copper Harbor down through Ontonagon and the Porcupine Mts.)

Northern Central - L'anse, Mt. Curwood area/Big Bay down to Marquette, then Munising (plenty of freezing/frozen waterfalls).

Although the lake-effect "machine" has not kicked into full gear as of yet, there currently is far more snow than most other areas.

----------------------

All of the Duluth and north area looks good, but I dunno about the snow levels.

These areas have cache out on islands where I would need to ski to?

L

Not quite the area(s) you are inquiring about -- but, then not too far, either -- most of the northern U.P. of Michigan (all lake-effect area).

Copper Country - (Houghton/Keweenaw/Calumet and Copper Harbor down through Ontonagon and the Porcupine Mts.)

Northern Central - L'anse, Mt. Curwood area/Big Bay down to Marquette, then Munising (plenty of freezing/frozen waterfalls).

Although the lake-effect "machine" has not kicked into full gear as of yet, there currently is far more snow than most other areas.

----------------------

All of the Duluth and north area looks good, but I dunno about the snow levels.

In Upper MI there are a few on islands in some inland lakes, but there is an abundance of caches that would be accessible only by skiing or snowshoes. A lot of seasonal roads that are not plowed. Mid- to late season snow depths upwards of 200" dictate something other than walking. Many resort to snowshoes (easier going in fresh, deep snow than are skis). Trees combined with snow depth limit snowmobiling aside from trails.

The missus (my "boss") discovered that snowshoes are better in deep snow last year and has commandeered my home-made pair. Luckily, I have others. :lol:

From what I see, N of Duluth also looks very good for that, but that is just from what I see on the maps.

We must agree with you that winter caching adds a whole new dimension to geocaching that is really tough to beat! We use both skis and snowshoes, one earlier in-season, the other later in-season.

Hello - I had so much fun yesterday on Twin Lakes in Brooklyn Center, using my cross country skis to cross the lake to the island where I found 4 geocaches! Can anyone tell me of other places in the Twin Cities and/or Duluth area where I can ski and cache? FUN!

Thanks!

Linda

Lake Elmo Park Reserve (just south of the city of Lake Elmo) has a vast network of XC ski trails.

I think Big Marine Regional Park (southeast of Forest Lake) has XC ski trails as well.

Both parks are part of the Washington County park system. The first (non holiday) Tuesday is free entrance day, so you have a week to prepare!

I've been the proud owner of a pair of snowshoes for 2 years now. LOVE them. Best way to get out on public hunting land in the winter IMHO. Way better than XC skis as there is usually not a well groomed trail out there.

Oh, and Willow River SP in Hudson, WI, just opened up a ton of XC trails on the north side of their park. I was just out there caching a few days ago and it was beautiful.

Ah ha! Thanks you all. I think I found some -

http://coord.info/GC43DM2

Is up near Bear Head Lake State Park and Ely. There are three cache on islands in that lake. I'm going to that state park for a preplanned ski trip later this month. YIPPEE! The three in the park, including the bird one seem to be on or around the ski trails.

Also found that this series is on a ski trail: http://coord.info/GC1P0QX

I'm still taking more suggestions!

I'll check out Lake Elmo too - but not sure I can make a Tuesday work until later in the Winter/Spring when the days are longer. :)