Garmin Discoverer Maps

Hi,

So far I have been using my iphone for caching and whilst this has done the job, there have been times when it struggled for a decent signal and has been a bit bouncy.

I am also now creating caches so I require something more accurate and reliable. I have been doing some research and quite like the Montana 650 and Oregon 550 for their paperless abilities.

My question is if I buy either of these would I still need to buy the Garmin Northern Ireland Discoverer maps or would the maps that come with either be good enough?

Thanks Gary

If I were to buy a 't' version, say a Garmin Oregon 550t, are the maps included the discoverer maps or are they inferior?

Would I be better off buying a standard version and getting the talkie toaster maps seperately?

Also is it worth paying the extra and getting the version with a camera (500 or 550) or is the camera just a gimmick and better off using the iphone.

Just want to make sure I purchase the right version.

Thanks

Edited by Knights-Templar

According to this the maps are the recreational map of Europe, not the OS maps. You'll have to buy them separately.

As to cameras only you can really answer that - personally I prefer a proper camera but others views will differ.

I went to Greece last summer and used OSM maps successfully when wandering various parts of the country doing a bit of caching. In this country I prefer the OS maps now I have a 62 but I have used the TT maps on my older GPS.

Edited by The Patrician

The 't' on a Garmin GPS means the topo maps are included. These are NOT the Ordnance Survey Discoverer maps which are based on the OS 1:50 Landranger maps. The Discoverer maps are purchased separately (at a cost). The Garmin topo maps are of the UK and Europe and are not too bad but the Open Street Maps produced by TalkyToaster are in my opinion better than the Garmin topo ones and are free. They'll load on any Garmin GPS that supports maps.

I wouldn't bother with the 't' version but use the free OSM maps and then consider getting the Discoverer ones at some point if you want them.

What's the difference between these 3 maps?

The Discoverer maps (OS maps) are 'raster' maps. This describes the way they appear on the screen. If you zoom in too much the maps go 'fuzzy'. The Discoverer maps are excellent (and better) than the topo/OSM maps for the country but for towns are not really that good as you can't zoom in too far.

The topo and OSM maps are 'vector' maps which allows you to zoom in very close and are ideal for towns and cities where you can see detailed streets. They are not so good for the countryside as they don't have as much detail like paths, woods, water etc.

I have both on my Oregon and just switch between them as needed.

Have a look at my resource sitewhere I've put up screen shots of both Garmin and Magellan maps that are available.

Regarding the camera on the Oregon. I have the 550 and the camera is ... OK. It's not brilliant but takes reasonable photos. I'd not consider it as my only camera! Most mobile phone cameras produce better photos.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Edited by Graculus

I have an Oregon 550, and it is a fantastic little piece of kit, especially with the paperless caching. I have also purchased the OS maps for it, the 1:50k series, and I find them very useful for navigating, and quite accurate too. Can be very good for finding rights of way too.

As for the camera, I do like that very much, I guess it is not a patch on my canon EOS for picture quality, but the best thing is that I use GSAK for logging finds - and I download the photographs onto my my harddrive at the same time as I download my cache logs, and it is then very easy to add the photographs to my logs, by matching the time of the cache find, and the time the picture was taken.