Can anyone help with Samsung S2?

Swallows2

We have been caching with Samsung Galaxy Mini. It worked fine. We have now upgraded to a Galaxy S2. It seems of very little use for caching. It quite often freezes up when appoaching cache area. And if it has not frozen, it is very inaccurate. We do Fell Walking and it seems fine for this. We also use it sometimes as a satnav and that is fine too. So, can anyone give us an idea why this is not working correctly? Oh, and I should add, my wife has an S2 also. They both play up in the same manner.

Brian The SwallowsTeam

Yep, the latest ICS. I think that I have now found the problem by searching around other posts. It seems this phone has got a static gps thing. I stops inputting gps updates if you are near stationary! The only way to stop it is to root it apparently. But I have a problem with that. I can't find the correct file to do it. Thanks for the reply.

Bri

I have the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, AT&T model, with the Groundspeak geocaching app (Android version) installed on it. I took it outside, keyed into and selected Local Caches and opened up the closest to me in map view. Standing in the middle of my driveway (typical width of a 2 car garage), I saw the round, blue current position indicator and zoomed in as close as possible and used the satellite view.

The position indicator had me located 3 feet to the NW of where I was standing.

Outside of that, I have nothing over which to complain.

Edit: You may need to purchase the app, $9.99, and also a Premium membership to make a similar observation.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I have the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, AT&T model, with the Groundspeak geocaching app (Android version) installed on it. I took it outside, keyed into and selected Local Caches and opened up the closest to me in map view. Standing in the middle of my driveway (typical width of a 2 car garage), I saw the round, blue current position indicator and zoomed in as close as possible and used the satellite view.

The position indicator had me located 3 feet to the NW of where I was standing.

Outside of that, I have nothing over which to complain.

Edit: You may need to purchase the app, $9.99, and also a Premium membership to make a similar observation.

Hi yes we have got the app. We find our target on the map then drive to the area with the compass. The phone works perfectly at this time. Howevery when we get out of the car and start walking the accuracy goes to pot. Apparently it has something to do with the gps refreshes that do not happen at low speeds. Thanks for the reply.

OK, I ran another test with my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. I went outside to the same spot and booted it up and then the Groundspeak app. It quickly showed me about 20 ft NW of my position and then it went wonky, showing me about 100 ft S and moving. I then walked somewhat that way and then back. As I did that it settled in and the showed my about 6 ft N of my real position and seemed to be stable. So, walking does seem to be a factor. Guess that I never noticed that before as when I'm geocaching I'm walking and focusing on the cache location rather than my location.

Probably, some artifact of the Samsung GPS function as I can't recall similar with my DeLorme GPSr units.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I have a TMobile GS2 and its GPS reception sucks in the woods. I really love some of the Android geocaching apps (especially Cachesense) but have been very frustrated by the discrepancy between the GS2 and my Oregon 450 (the 450 consistently puts me much closer to the actual hide). As a result I have been carrying both and using the GS2 to read descriptions, logs, etc. and to log my finds. However, I was just given a bluetooth Garmin Glo (which utilizes both US GPS and the Russian Glonass system) to presumably obtain a very accurate fix. I hope to have time to compare the two over the weekend. The point is that you may wish to consider getting a BT GPS to provide a more accurate fix to your GS2. Well-reviewed BT GPS receivers start around $30 (the Glo is $99).

Hi. Noticing the dollar sign in your post I guess you are in the USA. I don't really know what a BT GPS is. However I have recently used my S2 with the radar in gps status as TomToad suggested. I then tried my Etrex H, which I consider tops for pinpointing although naff to put the coordinates into. They both took me to exactly the same place. So, I am not doing too bad at the mo. But if you want to fill me in on a BT GPS I would appreciate it.

Bri

So, I am not doing too bad at the mo. But if you want to fill me in on a BT GPS I would appreciate it.

Bri

Were you in "easy" conditions? IE, in the open? My GS2 is fine in open fields, parking lots and so on, but under trees with leaves and in canyons (actually steep stream valleys) the reception is very poor.

Blue tooth GPS receievers are small devices that are designed to get very good GPS reception and can be paired with cell phones, laptops, tablets, etc. via bluetooth. With Android, in order to use BT GPS, you need to download an app (free) that will connect to the BT GPS and substitute the Android device's internal GPS with the signal received via BT. When using a geocaching app, one keeps the phone's GPS turned off and uses the signal provided by the BT GPS. Geocaching apps function seamlessly under this scenario. Yes, I am US so my prices were USD. In addition to the $99 USD Garmin Glo, you may wish to check out lower-priced units made by Globalsat (indeed, my sense is that they are the primary manufacturer of BT GPS). Last time I checked, Globalsat is based entirely off of the US GPS constellation but one would certainly think they will soon support glonass (and the EU system as that matures).

I hope this helps!

Ah I understand now. Yes I was in clear open fields. Anyway what do you think of this post that I have copied and pasted from another member below?

Are you a geocacher, trail runner, mountain biker or anyone else needing excellent GPS accuracy from their Android device but who finds that at times it just doesn’t seem to update your position even when moving?

You may be the victim of something called disabled Static Navigation.

Disabling Static Navigation is seen as a desirable feature that intentionally filters out apparently minor position updates once you are going at a low or slow speed. The idea is that your position will not be accurate anyway, due to the GPS signal being degraded by bouncing off buildings, being under trees or walking through a canyon.

The weird thing is the phone’s GPS chip is still receiving updates and keeps calculating your position; it simply stops telling you.

Ah I understand now. Yes I was in clear open fields. Anyway what do you think of this post that I have copied and pasted from another member below?

Are you a geocacher, trail runner, mountain biker or anyone else needing excellent GPS accuracy from their Android device but who finds that at times it just doesn’t seem to update your position even when moving?

You may be the victim of something called disabled Static Navigation.

Disabling Static Navigation is seen as a desirable feature that intentionally filters out apparently minor position updates once you are going at a low or slow speed. The idea is that your position will not be accurate anyway, due to the GPS signal being degraded by bouncing off buildings, being under trees or walking through a canyon.

The weird thing is the phone’s GPS chip is still receiving updates and keeps calculating your position; it simply stops telling you.

I have never heard of this before but maybe one of the engineers on the forum could comment.

At the risk of sounding like I am a salesman for BT GPS, I also want to mention that another advantage to using one is that the phone battery discharges slower with GPS turned off. That is not a big issue for me since I have several spares, but tthought I would mention it.

Thank you. I had not read that. I am waying up the various ideas and hope to get some improvement when stationary or very slow.

Bri

Hi There,

Please keep us updated on your findings / decisions. I'm new to this and can't decide if I should take the plunge and buy a Dakota 20 or accessorise my Samsung Galaxy note 2?

Regards, Jon.

To be sure, we would buy the Dakota. But we have updated the firmware on our S11. It is greatly improved. But we have found a weird thing. We can get to the area of the cache perfect. But when we get there, the S11 freezes. But then if we do a reset on the target cache, the S11 is then spot on. Don't know why it happens. But you can still use an S11 really well, if you are prepared to do this recheck on the cache when you are in the area.

TST