GC Code

Over21uk

You can write out the cache page before you go. When you write out the cache page, there is an option marked 'This cache is ready for review' or words to that effect. Make sure that box is NOT ticked, as you don't want it to go to the queue just yet (as you've not hidden yet!)

The system will ask you for co-ords when you do though, so it's best to put some fake co-ords (I set mine in the middle of the sea).

You'll end up with a cache page of your own, and it'll allocate you a GC code. You can then write that on your container when you go to hide.

Finally, when you come back, edit the co-ords on your cache page to the real ones, put any other finishing touches and away you go!

Be prepared for your cache hiding process to be a learning curve, and don't worry if there are problems first time - it happens to the best of us!

You can write out the cache page before you go. When you write out the cache page, there is an option marked 'This cache is ready for review' or words to that effect. Make sure that box is NOT ticked, as you don't want it to go to the queue just yet (as you've not hidden yet!)

The system will ask you for co-ords when you do though, so it's best to put some fake co-ords (I set mine in the middle of the sea).

You'll end up with a cache page of your own, and it'll allocate you a GC code. You can then write that on your container when you go to hide.

Finally, when you come back, edit the co-ords on your cache page to the real ones, put any other finishing touches and away you go!

Be prepared for your cache hiding process to be a learning curve, and don't worry if there are problems first time - it happens to the best of us!

The real danger in doing this way (especially in a crowded area) is that you put a huge amount of effort into preparing the cache; submit it for review; and the reviewer turns it down because it is too close to another cache or there is someone already preparing a cache in the area.

You can prepare a cache page with a skeleton amount of information (with the right co-ordinates; add a Reviewer Note saying "please don't publish; not ready yet - just checking for location" and then submit it for review. If the reviewer is awake they'll check to see if it is OK and the pass it back to you for finishing.

The real danger in doing this way (especially in a crowded area) is that you put a huge amount of effort into preparing the cache; submit it for review; and the reviewer turns it down because it is too close to another cache or there is someone already preparing a cache in the area.

You can prepare a cache page with a skeleton amount of information (with the right co-ordinates; add a Reviewer Note saying "please don't publish; not ready yet - just checking for location" and then submit it for review. If the reviewer is awake they'll check to see if it is OK and the pass it back to you for finishing.

Yes, but the OP hadn't hidden the cache, so hasn't necessarily got the co-ords yet. The dilemma as to whether the cache location clashes will apply regardless.

Yes, but the OP hadn't hidden the cache, so hasn't necessarily got the co-ords yet. The dilemma as to whether the cache location clashes will apply regardless.

Not sure I follow your argument here. I for one, decide where I want to place a cache as my first step. I go to the site, find a good hiding place, record the co-ordinates. I'd then submit a dummy page with a reviewer note saying that you are checking for location conflicts.

The added advantage of this method is that it reserves you the area so another cacher can't claim-jump you.

Typical. Ask a question and you get two guys arguing over a different topic. Yes, you can create a listing, making sure that it the checkbox for enabled is not checked, and your listing will be saved with your new GC #. You can then go forward with the many steps that may be necessary to actually get it published.

This brings up the question, since this will be a new experience for you, why have you decided to hide a "set" of caches instead of just one to get your feet wet and figure out the process? You may find that it is much easier to concentrate on a single cache while you learn the process.

Edited by Don_J

Typical. Ask a question and you get two guys arguing over a different topic. Yes, you can create a listing, making sure that it the checkbox for enabled is not checked, and your listing will be saved with your new GC #. You can then go forward with the many steps that may be necessary to actually get it published.

This brings up the question, since this will be a new experience for you, why have you decided to hide a "set" of caches instead of just one to get your feet wet and figure out the process? You may find that it is much easier to concentrate on a single cache while you learn the process.

Actually I was answering the part of his query where he says:

"as it says I have to hide the cache before I submit it for review"

You don't have to.

You don't have to.

I think it would be helpful to newer cachers to clarify your statement that "You don't have to [hide the cache before submitting it for review]" because in most cases of new cache submissions the cache should be in place, ready to be found, before submitting the cache form for review. Once the reviewer has reviewed it and publishes it then automatic notifications will be sent out and some cachers will immediately dash off to find it.

In a few cases cache submissions may be sent to review for a proximity check only (i.e. before sending for full review and publication) or they may be sent for review and then put on "hold" to be published at some later date. In these scenarios it is not necessary for the cache to be physically in its hiding place - We can only hope that the cache owner remembers to put in place before it gets published!

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I'm almost ready to hide my 1st set of caches. I was wondering how to get the GC code to put on my cache as it says I have to hide the cache before I submit it for review ?

(already answered, but I will use different approach to say pretty much trhe same thing)

You don't need a GC code while you place the cache. If you plan on putting the GC code on the cache container, there is no need to do that.

The anwer to the specific question is "no, you can't do that", because the GC code is assigned during the cache page submission process.

*more than you asked for section* Proceed if you want to perform uneccesary effort.

If you do need one for some reason, you can submit a 'dummy' page in advance and uncheck the 'cache is in place and ready' option. Submit and you will have a GC code and the cache submission process is on hold.

Once you actually place the cache, you need to edit the listing with accurate coordiantes, description, hints, etc. When you check the 'cache is in place and ready' check box and save, the reviewer will now see it and the next phase has begun.

Edited by Moose Mob
fat fingers

*more than you asked for section* Proceed if you want to perform uneccesary effort.

If you do need one for some reason, you can submit a 'dummy' page in advance and uncheck the 'cache is in place and ready' option. Submit and you will have a GC code and the cache submission process is on hold.

Once you actually place the cache, you need to edit the listing with accurate coordiantes, description, hints, etc. When you check the 'cache is in place and ready' check box and save, the reviewer will now see it and the next phase has begun.

This is the way that we have done it for our few -- the "dummy cache" approach. Works well.

While proximity issue could most always exist, we have found ALL caches within our range (we call it our "easy maintenance range").

Knowing where all the existing caches are can be a real boon for placement obviously, but we also live in an area which some may consider to be cache-starved. Perhaps someday we just may put together a power-trail, just for grins. That should take care of the lack of caches, but at this juncture we just cannot shake the (negative) idea of micros hidden in the middle of thousands of mostly forested acres. :P

Have noticed in logs too, that apparently some in-car GPSr units (Satnav units, to some) do not show much of the USFS road system.

Shows us how many folks really RELY on what their NUVI, etal tells them. :rolleyes:

You don't have to.

This is the text on the checkbox on the old form. I have no idea what it says on the new form.

Enable cache listing. It is ready for review. (If the listing is not yet ready to be reviewed, uncheck this box.) Note: Only 'Enabled' cache listings are visible to the reviewer.

By leaving the box unchecked, you are NOT submitting it for review. All you are doing is creating a listing, and getting your GC # issued. You are supposed to have the cache in place and ready to be found before you click that box.

You don't have to.

I think it would be helpful to newer cachers to clarify your statement that "You don't have to [hide the cache before submitting it for review]" because in most cases of new cache submissions the cache should be in place, ready to be found, before submitting the cache form for review. Once the reviewer has reviewed it and publishes it then automatic notifications will be sent out and some cachers will immediately dash off to find it.

In a few cases cache submissions may be sent to review for a proximity check only (i.e. before sending for full review and publication) or they may be sent for review and then put on "hold" to be published at some later date. In these scenarios it is not necessary for the cache to be physically in its hiding place - We can only hope that the cache owner remembers to put in place before it gets published!

MrsB

I guess my "Typical" comment was in reference to the fact that these are all issues that the new cache hider is not facing at this point, and it only serves to confuse the issue that he was asking about. I was trying to look at this from the CO's perspective and not overwhelm him/her with information that they probably don't really need at this point. If their new cache is too close to a hidden waypoint, their helpful reviewer will contact them and guide them through the process of fixing it.

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I have taken them on board.

All I really wanted to do was put the GC code on the cache before I hid it. If the reviewer has any problems with it, the GC code will still be mine and ill not need to change it. If the co-ords were a problem I can just hide it elsewhere.

Wat I didn't know, was that I can edit it to give me the code prior to hiding, prior to submitting for review.

Thanks again everyone. Alex.

You don't need a GC code while you place the cache. If you plan on putting the GC code on the cache container, there is no need to do that.

The guidelines actually state that you do need to put the GC code on the container.

To avoid confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label it as a "geocache" and include the GC code on the outside of the container.

Even if it wasn't required, it's still a good idea because it allows the uninformed to easily identify which cache it is. Every single one of my caches has the GC code on it.

The anwer to the specific question is "no, you can't do that", because the GC code is assigned during the cache page submission process.

If you do need one for some reason...

I'm confused. You say that you can't get a GC code before submitting for review, but then state how you can get a GC code before submitting for review. :blink:

The cache submission process is a two-step process. Step one is the creation of the cache listing, which assigns a GC code. The second step is to submit the listing for review. These two steps do not necessarily have to happen at the same time and can potentially have a significant amount of time in between.

BTW, Moose Mob, could you please trim down your public profile? It nearly killed my browser when I looked at your profile, and I had to stop it before it could finish loading everything. There's no need to enable every single section, including some that aren't even useful ("Australia - 0 finds in 0 State").